Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Splode posted:

edit: Tron posters, heads up, this is NOT the GBS thread

:(

Also I love that Gaza cartoon/essay/whatever you'd call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
http://www.skynews.com.au/programs/richo-jones.html

Saw a bus ad for this in Brisbane Cbd.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kevin Andrews won an award

quote:

A conservative Christian group holding its annual conference in Melbourne this weekend has named the federal social services minister, Kevin Andrews, as its 2014 “Natural Family Man of the Year”.

The World Congress of Families (WCF) gave the equivalent for women to the Nigerian activist Theresa Okafor, a vocal supporter of that country’s tough anti-gay laws, which make same-sex relationships punishable by up to 14 years in prison.

A win for the government!

quote:

In a speech to the World Congress of Families annual gathering in Madrid in 2012, Okafor speculated that Western countries advocating for gay rights in Africa were involved in “a conspiracy” to “silence Christians” with the terrorist group Boko Haram. “Unfortuntately, in Nigeria where I come from, we have these fundamentalists, the Boko Haram – I’m sure you’ve heard about them in the news – bombing churches. They seem to be helping some people in Western countries who are out to silence Christians. The Boko Haram are targeting Christians in Nigeria, so you wonder if there’s a conspiracy between the two worlds,” she said. - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...h.VZRpmwra.dpuf

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

This isn't strictly #auspol, but it is both Australian and political. Young Tristian Blumenstein had to do another school assignment, this time about Gaza.

Here's the link for sharing: http://nakedfella.com/blog/2014/08/tristian-and-the-gaza-strip/

This was really good. Thanks for sharing!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/26/the-maths-on-university-fees-are-in-its-checkmate-for-christopher-pyne

edit: Also apparently Tony was right to warn about the dangers of Scottish independence. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-26/scotland-referendum-could-leave-australia-without-head-of-state/5696770

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 26, 2014

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Lid posted:

A win for the government!

In Completely Unrelated news :

quote:

The main committee room in Canberra’s Parliament House has been quietly booked out by an unnamed MP for an anti-gay marriage summit promoted by the World Congress of Families.

The coalition of anti-gay marriage and pro-life groups will hold the summit next Wednesday, August 27 on what they are calling ‘National Marriage Day’, to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Australia’s Marriage Amendment Act of 2004 that defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The World Congress of Families (the organisers of the controversial “Pro-Life Olympics”) is to hold its regional conference in a Melbourne school hall two days later and BuzzFeed has learned some members will attend the Canberra summit.

Lectures will be held in the “Main Committee Room” which a Parliament House spokeswoman told BuzzFeed had to be booked by a sitting member.

The spokeswoman would not say which sitting member had booked the space and several Coalition MPs refused to disclose who had assisted in organising the summit.

Meanwhile the World Congress of Families is now up to four rejected sites :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/26/world-congress-families-venues-cancel-over-protests posted:

\
The event was initially to be held at St Patrick’s parish hall in Mentone, about 20km south-east of the city. It was then moved to St Cecilia’s Catholic church in Glen Iris, but that venue also withdrew.

St Cecilia’s did not answer calls from Guardian Australia, but senior constable Andrew McDowell, from Cheltenham police command, said St Patrick’s was advised not to host the event because of security concerns.

The most recent venue put forward was Aurora Receptions in East Brunswick, which usually hosts weddings.

But management told Guardian Australia discussions with congress organisers never got past the negotiation stage, and the venue would definitely not be hosting the event. A fourth unnamed venue had also pulled out, organisers confirmed.

Aurora Receptions copped some random downvote spam today for just thinking about hosting them. I guess whoever is going to host them will keep it close to their chest.

Then again, they may just end up in Melbourne Government House and be done with it. Premier Napthine can't much more hated than he already is.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
True blue aussies only plz

Nuclear Spy posted:

Seems like it did its job.

Don't worry, it'll be repaired in no time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkgVQ___zM

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 26, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

drunkill posted:

This will make a lot of COWARD PUNCH cases easier to solve. Look for a southern cross indentation on the back of the victim's head, cross-reference Bradford Exchange customer list.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
World is fukt etc.

quote:

The Warburton Review of Australia's Renewable Energy Target (RET) is expected to be released any day now with speculation emerging last week that the Prime Minister, Tony Abbott is keen to kill off the scheme, or at least lock out new entrants.

But behind the scenes, negotiations have started that could see the RET reinvented as the the Low Emissions Target (LET).

Rather than being limited to principally wind and solar, the expanded scheme could be open to all forms of energy generation - including biomass from the burning of forest and other wastes as well as gas-fired power and even coal.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/gas--coal-could-bid-into-proposed-new-low-emission-target/5696106

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Sorry for Tron Image chat, too angry with Auspol at the moment to be coherent at a level beyond images.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

Don't worry, it'll be repaired in no time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkgVQ___zM

I can see BCR wearing one of these, and becoming the unionized version of The Phantom, punching awful bosses and leaving his mark on them for all to see.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Blargh, just listening to 5AA (for sport, not for intelligent discussion) and their current ad for mornings has professional mouth-breather/Murdoch shill David Penberthy saying we need the anti-terror laws because ISIS are nazis. How is anything we do here going to affect them?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

drunkill posted:

Rugged. Masculine. Defiant.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
It's my right as a Son of the Southern Cross to defend our Rights and Liberties and make sure those loving muzzies don't get in

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Blargh, just listening to 5AA (for sport, not for intelligent discussion) and their current ad for mornings has professional mouth-breather/Murdoch shill David Penberthy saying we need the anti-terror laws because ISIS are nazis. How is anything we do here going to affect them?

He literally said "these people are islamo-facists. And that's why we need these new terror laws because australians, especially older australians, know where this leads."

Hey David, which country was bugging it's own people's phones in WW2? Here's a hint: it wasn't the Allies.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Start by not listening to them, end with domestic terrorism against them. Find where on the spectrum between those you are comfortable

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Make radio advertisements about how we need to stop David Penberthy to prevent the radicalisation of young people who would enact domestic terrorism against him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pentherby's married to Kate Ellis isn't he?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

He literally said "these people are islamo-facists. And that's why we need these new terror laws because australians, especially older australians, know where this leads."

Hey David, which country was bugging it's own people's phones in WW2? Here's a hint: it wasn't the Allies.

Friendly reminder that Australia rounded up Italians and put them in camps while America did the same with Japanese.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

How dare they.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"The Greens aren't even real progressives!" - the alp

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pentherby's married to Kate Ellis isn't he?

Yes.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
There should be a minimum set of criteria that you need to fill to call yourself "progressive"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Tommofork posted:

Friendly reminder that Australia rounded up Italians and put them in camps while America did the same with Japanese.

We also did it to the Japanese. Also, we deported Japanese, some of whom were born in Australia and didn't necessarily speak the language or know anybody in Japan.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

redweird posted:

We also did it to the Japanese. Also, we deported Japanese, some of whom were born in Australia and didn't necessarily speak the language or know anybody in Japan.

:staredog: Wasn't sure if we'd also put Japanese in camps but didn't know about deportation jfc.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Tony Abbott says counter-terrorism measures are not aimed at Muslims

quote:

Tony Abbott has told colleagues the government “must not demonise any particular community” as it moves to toughen security laws, seeking to head off criticism from some Islamic groups that Australian Muslims felt they were being targeted.

The prime minister told a joint meeting of the Liberal and National parties in Canberra before the resumption of parliament on Tuesday: “There are no stronger members of ‘Team Australia’ than the overwhelming majority of the Muslim community.”

Probably should have said that at the start maybe?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
What the actual gently caress:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/media/2014/08/22/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-go-iraq-protest-isis

quote:

In a move certainly worthy of its status as the fringiest of the far-right fringe hate groups, the Westboro Baptist Churchcongregation says it’s going to accept an offer by a popular Australian comedian to fly members to Iraq to protest the beheading of Christians by the Islamic terror group ISIS, Addicting Info reports.

After learning that members of the antigay church planned to protest the funeral of Robin Williams, comedian Adam Hills challenged them to really live their stated values and offered them a proposition on his television show, The Last Leg.

“If you really believe in standing up to those threatening the Christian way of life, Westboro Baptist Church, how about putting your money where your mouth is, taking a direct flight to Iraq,” he said this week, also offering to pay for first-class airfare.

Church members took Hills’s offer seriously and announced their acceptance on Twitter:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

He was serious. Then this happened-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBZbdQdPzE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well, they took the bait

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

When I first read this I thought it said "Natural Enemy Man of the Year", and tbh that's more appropriate since he thinks he's got God on his side.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Adam Hills is Australia's second-best comedian, after the guy that does the NT News front pages.

Sorry, Josh Thomas.

But yeah, would've declared some sort of technicality as a reason they can't go. They wouldn't even be safe in the military base they'd be housed up in, given how many soldiers' funerals they've picketed.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 26, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Adam Hills is Australia's second-best comedian, after the guy that does the NT News front pages.

Sorry, Josh Thomas.

But yeah, would've declared some sort of technicality as a reason they can't go. They wouldn't even be safe in the military base they'd be housed up in, given how many soldiers' funerals they've picketed.

Out of all the posts ever to be made in auspol, you just made the dumbest.

It's like you've never even heard of Shaun Micallef or John Clarke or something.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i reckon hughesy is pretty grouse

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

i reckon hughesy is pretty grouse

Mate.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
i like will anderson

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Tommofork posted:

We would have done it to all the Germans too but we ethnic cleansed deported most of them after WW1.

quote:

Holsworthy camp remained open until the last internees were deported to Germany in 1920. The total number of people deported was 6,150. Of these, 5,414 people had been interned, the rest were family members or those ordered by the Defence Department to leave the country. Over one thousand people appealed to the Commonwealth Alien Board against deportation. Only 306 were successful. They included 179 naturalised or native born Australians. The 306 were the only people allowed to stay from the 5,600 internees still at Holsworthy at the end of the war.

In considering these appeals the Board disregarded all ties these people had to Australia. A mass protest letter by deportees that pleaded for clemency “in the name of our wives, our children, our brides” fell on deaf ears. One legal challenge was launched by Fredrick Meyer, who was naturalised and married in Australia with a child and had run for state parliament before the war. In May 1920 he was told that his naturalisation had been revoked and that the Minister for Defence had ordered his deportation. He appealed against this as an improper use of power but the High Court found that both deportation and de-naturalisation were entirely at the discretion of the Minister and Governor-General respectively and Meyer was deported the next day.
Interesting tidbit: Remember our best general in WWI, Monash? His parents had changed their surname from Monasch. Yep, he was the child of German Jews, he wrote his letters home to his father in German.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Gough Suppressant posted:

It's like you've never even heard of Shaun Micallef or John Clarke or something.

i love micallef but i would still rank hills above him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

John Clarke is a kiwi.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

John Clarke is a kiwi.

Counterpoint: he is a successful kiwi and thus Australian by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tony Jowns posted:

i love micallef but i would still rank hills above him.

I know the last few seasons have been rough on us but you need to get your PTSD checked

• Locked thread