Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Two newbie questions:

Is there any way to cut down on the smoke when pan-searing? I've got the technique down and I can get really crispy, perfect skin, but I hate doing it because the whole apartment fills up with smoke that takes forever to go away. Even with the vent hood on and the AC going, it's just too much. Are there any tricks to searing without so much smoke? I generally use olive oil, so would using an oil with a higher smoke point help, or is the smoke an unavoidable part of the meat cooking?

Secondly, if I am trying to do a sort of glaze when cooking on the stovetop, what is the best way to handle it to make sure I don't end up burning the sauce? I'm thinking of getting the meat browned and almost fully cooked, then adding the sauce, letting it thicken up, and just keep stirring to avoid anything from scorching. Sound about right, or is there a better method I'm missing out on? I've got a recipe I want to try for chicken thighs with a soy sauce, brown sugar, and fish sauce based sauce, and even though the recipe calls for grilling it I want to try it on the stove. I just don't want to burn the sauce or end up with soggy skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cavenagh posted:

This is from Fergus Henderson's Beyond Nose To Tail. I've had success with it.

135 grams Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons Pure Honey
3 Large Eggs
110 grams Caster Sugar
15 grams Light Brown Sugar
135 grams Sifted Self Raising Flour.

Melt butter and honey and simmer to a golden brown, leave to cool.
Whisk eggs and sugars together until they've tripled in volume and a trail is left on the surface when the whisk is lifted (About 9 minutes with an electric mixer)
Fold the flour and melted butter into the egg mix until all is incorporated. Refrigerate in a clean bowl for 3 hours.

Pre-Heat oven to 190C / 375F

Grease the Madeline moulds with butter and then dust with a light coating of flour, tapping off any excess.
Place a dessert spoon of the mix in each mould and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until firm to touch and golden brown.

Eat warm, dipping in hot tea when alone to emulate Proust or with Pink Champagne on a warm evening with good company.

Thank you.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Laminator posted:

Any good liver and onion recipes? I tried to make it on the fly before and it wasn't very good. I need a little assistance to make this offal taste good.

What made it not very good? There's an enzyme in liver that will turn the texture pappy and unpleasant. Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent this happening or know if it's happened until the liver is cooked and eaten. I'd be delighted to learn if I'm wrong about this though. When I do cook Liver and Onions, it needs to be Calves Liver cut a half inch thick at most. Cook the onions first, trying to cook the onions and liver at the same time can easily lead to an overcrowded pan and a liver boiled in onion juice. Not nice. Heat oil to a high heat and add the liver, generously seasoned with plenty of salt. Wait for it to brown, should be but a minute if the pan is hot enough, give the pan a shake, flip the liver, add some butter. When butter is frothy drop some sage leaves into the butter bit to crisp up. When crisp move to a paper towel to drain. Flip the liver once more on each side for thirty seconds or so, which should give you medium rare. Move liver warm place to keep warm. If cooking more liver, wipe out pan and repeat process, if not, wipe out pan and add the all ready cooked onions to warm them through. Dress the liver with sage and throw atop the onions. Drizzle with good balsamic.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Two newbie questions:

Is there any way to cut down on the smoke when pan-searing? I've got the technique down and I can get really crispy, perfect skin, but I hate doing it because the whole apartment fills up with smoke that takes forever to go away. Even with the vent hood on and the AC going, it's just too much. Are there any tricks to searing without so much smoke? I generally use olive oil, so would using an oil with a higher smoke point help, or is the smoke an unavoidable part of the meat cooking?

Secondly, if I am trying to do a sort of glaze when cooking on the stovetop, what is the best way to handle it to make sure I don't end up burning the sauce? I'm thinking of getting the meat browned and almost fully cooked, then adding the sauce, letting it thicken up, and just keep stirring to avoid anything from scorching. Sound about right, or is there a better method I'm missing out on? I've got a recipe I want to try for chicken thighs with a soy sauce, brown sugar, and fish sauce based sauce, and even though the recipe calls for grilling it I want to try it on the stove. I just don't want to burn the sauce or end up with soggy skin.

I'm hardly an expert, but yes, stop using olive oil. It has a low smoke point and distinct flavor. Some people don't use it over heat at all. Personally, I only use it for low temperature cooking. If I need high heat, I go for peanut oil.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Laminator posted:

Any good liver and onion recipes? I tried to make it on the fly before and it wasn't very good. I need a little assistance to make this offal taste good.

I love liver and onions! I dredge them in seasoned flour before cooking them, and to cook I pan fry. My method is to soak them in milk for 6 hours in the fridge before cooking, and when the time comes, clean them in water (handle carefully, they're fragile) and then lightly dredge in a mixture of flour, black pepper, and sage - nothing else. Pan fry over medium to medium high for a few minutes on each side, then serve with plenty of sliced onions sauted until clear. Mushrooms are nice, but optional. Since this is the summer, get some squash and slice it thin, then cook that along with the onions and toss in a bit of lemon juice at the end. Serve that alongside the liver for a tasty treat - the richness of the liver is cut by the bright flavor of the squash and lemon juice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

75 minutes in the oven vs 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, I think I'll do it in the pressure cooker. I'm just not sure if I'm suppose to pressure cook it with water or with stock.

(Plus I don't have a dutch oven or otherwise big pot to put in the oven :cry:)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in Portugal on holiday. We just bought some beautiful dried borlotti beans from a farmers' market. We have a fairly rudimentary kitchen (no blender etc). Amy good suggestions for reasonably simple dishes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

75 minutes in the oven vs 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, I think I'll do it in the pressure cooker. I'm just not sure if I'm suppose to pressure cook it with water or with stock.

(Plus I don't have a dutch oven or otherwise big pot to put in the oven :cry:)

It may take 75 minutes but doing so lets you skip the presoak. Generally most people do not keep the presoak water, so you might not want to use stock.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-beans-in-a-pressure-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193867

quote:

When they're cooked the usual way on the stove top, the greatest drawback with dried beans is the fact that they need to be soaked before cooking, sometimes up to 12 hours. So unless you've planned ahead, dried beans aren't a spontaneous ingredient. There is a quick-soaking method where the beans and water are brought to a boil and then left to soak for an hour or so (as opposed to overnight). This helps to cut the cooking time down considerably, but we're still talking a couple of hours before you have a pot of edible beans. This is where the pressure cooker shines: without presoaking, a pound of dried beans can be done in anywhere from 6 to 40 minutes, depending on the variety. Pretty great!

Is there a catch? Well, a small one. Presoaked beans will (mostly) stay intact when they are pressure cooked, while unsoaked beans tend to split open some. While the quick-soaking method helps somewhat to alleviate the splitting, if you want whole, tender beans then your best bet is to presoak. You can use the quick-soak and unsoaked beans for those times when the splitting isn't such a big deal, like when you're making hummus or in soups.

Another advantage to presoaking beans is that most of the gas-causing sugars are leached out into the soaking water. So when you drain off the soaking water, you are also saying goodbye to this unpleasant side effect to eating beans!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just toss my Great Northern Beans or Navy Beans into the slow cooker with 2 diced onions, some garlic, chicken stock, chopped up uncooked bacon, and some large carrot chunks. They're done by the time I get home from work, and are perfect on chilly fall evenings.

Especially with Cholua hot sauce (or their Chilie-Garlic sauce)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I was making pancakes today and had a weird reaction with the wet ingredients. I mixed together some melted (unsalted) butter, an egg, and milk, the milk and egg were right out of the fridge and the butter was nuked to melt it and probably not allowed to cool as much as it should have. The milk is also the lactose-free kind if that matters. When I whisked it all together it produced these weird ... butter crystal things that resembled uncooked rice. The more I whisked it the more of these things appeared. I remember having this explained to me once but can't remember wtf these things are and how to avoid them. Anyone know what the science is that's going on there?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think your butter just got cold from the milk and solidified up.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I think your butter just got cold from the milk and solidified up.

Probably that's all it was, it looked really, really weird.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Does it matter if you get those? I mean, good pancake batter is going to kinda have clumps in it regardless, I would think butter puffs wouldn't make that big a difference.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Drifter posted:

Does it matter if you get those? I mean, good pancake batter is going to kinda have clumps in it regardless, I would think butter puffs wouldn't make that big a difference.

I just didn't know what they were, evidently they're harmless but I was worried that the fat from the butter was doing something weird. They did make little teeny pools of butter in the actual pancakes but that was fine. I'm just kind of hopeless when it comes to baking-type things so I thought I'd ruined it somehow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was given some frozen (now thawed) ginger root. Even cut super thinly, it's still very fibrous.

Is there anything that can be done with this, or am I just going to plop it whole into soup to be strained out before eating?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 25, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
When I'm making meat sauce (28 oz can of diced tomatoes, pound of meat, onion, spices), the tomatoes never really break down and the sauce never thickens all that much. The cookbook I'm using (Bittman) says the sauce should be bubbling and it'll thicken up fairly quickly (15 mins), but I never get anything close to the uniform texture I'm supposedly supposed to get (after 30 mins). It looks like chunks of meat and tomatoes in some tomato drippings. Is there a way to thicken it up quickly?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

reflex posted:

When I'm making meat sauce (28 oz can of diced tomatoes, pound of meat, onion, spices), the tomatoes never really break down and the sauce never thickens all that much. The cookbook I'm using (Bittman) says the sauce should be bubbling and it'll thicken up fairly quickly (15 mins), but I never get anything close to the uniform texture I'm supposedly supposed to get (after 30 mins). It looks like chunks of meat and tomatoes in some tomato drippings. Is there a way to thicken it up quickly?

Are you using the tomatoes it says to use in the cookbook? There are very different types with different levels of moisture.

You could try pressing the tomatoes to remove some liquid beforehand (reserve and add some back later if it gets too thick) - or just add the tomato and not any of that canned liquid. Also, have you sweated and reduce the onion? Otherwise, it's just, to my knowledge, letting the liquid steam off over time on a low heat (stir occasionally so it won't burn).

You can also mix in some grated cheese. That can help thicken it up some.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 25, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

reflex posted:

I have the opposite problem. My sauces always get too thick. Always adding cream or pasta water. I used crushed tomatoes, not diced if that is any cause. Maybe I need to keep a lid on it?

Add anchovies if you haven't before! Won't help with the thickening but adds to the taste. Won't be fishy I promise.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

reflex posted:

As for tomatoes breaking down, many cans of whole tomatoes and virtually all cans of diced tomatoes have calcium chloride to prevent them from breaking down. I generally substitute crushed tomatoes when a recipe wants me to cook them down, but you can read all the labels to find something (probably whole) without the preservative.

e: if this is the same recipe, what I'm seeing says to simmer for an hour, add milk/cream and cheese, and -then- it should thicken after 15-30 minutes

Enkor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

reflex posted:

Do your canned tomatoes have calcium chloride in them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I was given some frozen (now thawed) ginger root. Even cut super thinly, it's still very fibrous.

Is there anything that can be done with this, or am I just going to plop it whole into soup to be strained out before eating?

If you have whole ginger you can rub it on a ginger grater. They manage to get the meat out and leave the fiber behind.

But for now just plopping it in soup in big chunks and pulling it out before serving is fine

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 25, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Yes the canned diced tomatoes had some kind of additive to them. Calcium chloride sounds familiar but I cannot say for sure. So the solution seems to be avoid additives/use crushed? Recipe said used diced because everything else is apparently too watery.

I guess I'm going to have some chunky pasta sauce for awhile (3 cans of diced tomatoes left in my pantry).

Enkor posted:

e: if this is the same recipe, what I'm seeing says to simmer for an hour, add milk/cream and cheese, and -then- it should thicken after 15-30 minutes
Definately not. I'm using How to Cook Everything: The Basics.

reflex fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

reflex posted:

Yes the canned diced tomatoes had some kind of additive to them. Calcium chloride sounds familiar but I cannot say for sure. So the solution seems to be avoid additives/use crushed? Recipe said used diced because everything else is apparently too watery.

I guess I'm going to have some chunky pasta sauce for awhile (3 cans of diced tomatoes left in my pantry).

Definately not. I'm using How to Cook Everything: The Basics.

Just run it through a blender and strain it a tiny bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

I'm in Portugal on holiday. We just bought some beautiful dried borlotti beans from a farmers' market. We have a fairly rudimentary kitchen (no blender etc). Amy good suggestions for reasonably simple dishes?

Cook overnight with chouricao and plenty of garlic, dress with olive oil and some vinegar before serving with bread.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just run it through a blender and strain it a tiny bit.

Do this, or reduce the amount and cut the tomatoes with some passata.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Folks,

I need a delicious and reliable mincemeat recipe, to impress the family. Doesnt have to be cheap. Bonus point if its got an authentic and ol' timey feel.*

Thank you. :)

* made from sheep or human fat

Iggore fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 26, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a bunch of raw blood. I want to centrifugate it to separate out the plasma. Will running it through the food processor of blender do the job or do I need to spin it in test tubes?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Centrifuge.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Iggore posted:

Folks,

I need a delicious and reliable mincemeat recipe, to impress the family. Doesnt have to be cheap. Bonus point if its got an authentic and ol' timey feel.*

Steve Yun posted:

I have a bunch of raw blood. I want to centrifugate it to separate out the plasma. Will running it through the food processor of blender do the job or do I need to spin it in test tubes?

Are the two of you working on some sort of cannibal project together?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

With added sauteed onions and jalapeno

goodness posted:

Get some instant ramen noodles, jalapeno cheetohs.

Break up both into small pieces. Add together in ziplock bag and pour some hot water in. Mash it up, and pour a little more. You don't want it soupy, just enough water to bind it all together.

Pack it all together in the bag and wrap with a towel, let sit for 10-15m.

Eat it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

jesus christ. You should fry that bad boy now. Get a nice crisp on top of it all.

I am thoroughly ashamed at myself that while I wouldn't make something like that, I'd definitely eat part of it if a friend brought it to me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Drifter posted:

jesus christ. You should fry that bad boy now. Get a nice crisp on top of it all.

I am thoroughly ashamed at myself that while I wouldn't make something like that, I'd definitely eat part of it if a friend brought it to me.

drat I should have fried it in a pan for the finishing touch. Needed some meat, maybe bacon next time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Tried doing it in an Oxo salad spinner. After 15 mins of manual labor, no difference. I looked up what bloodwork labs do, and it seems they spin it at 2500 rpms for at least 15 minutes. Oxo was getting roughly 500. Not going to happen. Don't think tying it to a bike wheel will achieve appropriate speeds either.

I guess plasma recipes will have to wait.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Iggore posted:

Folks,

Delia is very reliable for stuff like this; my dad made a batch of this a couple of years ago and it came out very nicely.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

If you happen to live somewhere where suet is not readily available, this is what you need to get hold of.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

What.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Tried doing it in an Oxo salad spinner. After 15 mins of manual labor, no difference. I looked up what bloodwork labs do, and it seems they spin it at 2500 rpms for at least 15 minutes. Oxo was getting roughly 500. Not going to happen. Don't think tying it to a bike wheel will achieve appropriate speeds either.

When we got plasma in the lab we used special tubes from BD to do this, which contained a gel matrix, which you spun the blood down in, leaving the plasma at the top and the blood cells at the bottom. I think to do it without the gel matrix requires a much higher speed than 2500 rpm.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doesn't blood plasma smell kind of gross? Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish here?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god that is so gross. What the gently caress is wrong with you? Get the gently caress out of here with that ramen noodle and cheeto bullshit.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

goodness posted:

What were you in for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

What were you in for?

A hellish night on the toilet, I would assume.