Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Farm lists auto-sorting and alerting you based on what you have seeds for is nice, especially now that there's a thousand and one different plants. Hopefully we'll be able to pick fruit soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, that list of bug fixes looks great. Looks like some major issues with the new release have been resolved (flying creatures not leaving and people running away screaming constantly). Oh and the adventurer mode 'everyone ignores you as you kill them' thing.

quote:

Made attacker always look at target upon initiating attack

Good thing there's no medusas.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Still takes 2 actual real world weeks to generate 2 weeks of game history for anything but a pocket world, so it's not quite there yet.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Takes about 30 seconds for a medium world, and about 1 second for 'small region'.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah unless I'm trying to do some massive 1000 year history world it blazes through that step pretty fast for me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

Takes about 30 seconds for a medium world, and about 1 second for 'small region'.

Yeah it definitely is faster than I remember it being in previous versions. I've upgraded my computer since then though so maybe don't use a laptop from 1995?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Dwarf Fortress 2014: maybe don't use a laptop from 1995?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

There was a dude in the DFHack thread complaining that the interface-modifying plugins don't cater for netbook users (i.e. him).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was trying to look up if silver barbs were still in the game what with all the new plants in preparation of maybe trying a fortress based entirely around creating black cloth, and discovered that they're actually sliver barbs. I've been reading it wrong for the past six years.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PublicOpinion posted:

I was trying to look up if silver barbs were still in the game what with all the new plants in preparation of maybe trying a fortress based entirely around creating black cloth, and discovered that they're actually sliver barbs. I've been reading it wrong for the past six years.

You and me, too, buddy :psydwarf:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Yes! No more flocks of Thrips Men just floating 10 zlevels above the ground forever!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

This lead me to discover that silver barbs are actually a sort of fish.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PublicOpinion posted:

:psyboom:

I had to read it a few times to understand what you meant. I kept reading it as "Silver" even after checking the wiki page for it.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
All right! Time to do another test run and-- if I'm satisfied-- start doing sign-ups.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ghetto wormhole posted:

I think by default dwarves are the only ones capable of producing steel anyway so goblins don't usually have it unless they picked it up from dead dwarves or something. The goblins that attack my fort definitely have plenty of iron weapons/armor but they still get slaughtered by my steel equipped army. In a fight that was 30 of us vs 47 of them they killed one dwarf(a marksman who went off on her own and got stabbed in the face by the last two goblins) and got totally wiped out.

Yeah I think I was actually pulling that out of my rear end, while I was disarming the goblins for execution I realised they actually have a mixed bunch of stuff, all the way up to high quality iron which is quite good. Also a Macelord showed up in the first attack and he escaped during Pitting which led to a minor loyalty cascade which I never personally experienced before (military dwarves who see a prisoner escape blame the dwarf transporting him and attack). So yeah, first year sieges are a bit tougher but still easy as long as you're not trying anything too elaborate.

Does anybody know how far a beast with 'poisonous vapours' can project said vapours? Theres a forgotten beast in the caverns and I'm toying with the idea of letting him up into my pit but I don't want any unexpected dwarven holocausts for entertainment value. The pit is 12z's deep with a platform up 7z's from the bottom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dashticle posted:

Yeah I think I was actually pulling that out of my rear end, while I was disarming the goblins for execution I realised they actually have a mixed bunch of stuff, all the way up to high quality iron which is quite good. Also a Macelord showed up in the first attack and he escaped during Pitting which led to a minor loyalty cascade which I never personally experienced before (military dwarves who see a prisoner escape blame the dwarf transporting him and attack). So yeah, first year sieges are a bit tougher but still easy as long as you're not trying anything too elaborate.

It seems really random. One world I get goblins with iron weapons and iron/copper helms and breastplates. Another world the first "goblin" invasion is mostly elven recruits with no weapons at all. It isn't predictable.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My favorite way to deal with goblins is to set up a gauntlet. I dig a tunnel lined with traps and hazards leading to the surface, then build the cage at the bottom of it, then let the goblin out. If he escapes, then he is free to leave. Otherwise I get some loot. Either way, I am entertained.

Alternatively I set up a chandelier: a floor suspended over magma by a single support attached to the ceiling. I build the cage on the chandelier and then have the support destroyed, dropping the cage into magma. If I don't have magma yet, then I just put the cage underneath and have it opened at the same time. Either way, something dies.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dashticle posted:

Does anybody know how far a beast with 'poisonous vapours' can project said vapours? Theres a forgotten beast in the caverns and I'm toying with the idea of letting him up into my pit but I don't want any unexpected dwarven holocausts for entertainment value. The pit is 12z's deep with a platform up 7z's from the bottom.

You should be fine it's only a few tiles, like maybe 3 at the most.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Someone 'updated' kobold camp for 2014.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142853.0

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

♪ HOW MUCH IS THAT DEV-LOG IN THE WINDOW ♫

Toady One posted:

A few simple things today -- multiplying leather from animal person camps shouldn't plague reclaims, stacks divided on pickup in adventure mode shouldn't disappear when you drop them, and dwarves should no longer have a preference for eating the various fruit trees (the whole tree, not the fruit).

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Anyone get dfhack working with 40.10 on Windows yet?

There might be a fork for it on github https://github.com/fricy/dfhack, but I am having trouble with getting all the dependencies working properly so I can compile the drat thing.

I am tired of ending up with lovely embarks that only have a bunch of tetrahedrite even though my mineral scarcity is set between 300 and 500 for most worlds. I had the best embark on 40.06 or 07 with tons of iron, coal, flux, copper, platinum, silver, and gold, but the morale bugs were driving me crazy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

I am tired of ending up with lovely embarks that only have a bunch of tetrahedrite even though my mineral scarcity is set between 300 and 500 for most worlds. I had the best embark on 40.06 or 07 with tons of iron, coal, flux, copper, platinum, silver, and gold, but the morale bugs were driving me crazy.

You need to check the geology of the area you're embarking in. Iron and coal mostly occur in sedimentary layers, which seem to be more rare than you'd expect.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

nielsm posted:

You need to check the geology of the area you're embarking in. Iron and coal mostly occur in sedimentary layers, which seem to be more rare than you'd expect.

How do you check the geology prior to embarking? It used to show sedimentary, igneous, etc, on the right, but now it is just shallow metals, deep metals, flux. I typically go for some soil/clay, shallow metals, deep metals, and flux on a relatively flat heavily wooded area.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Delizin posted:

How do you check the geology prior to embarking? It used to show sedimentary, igneous, etc, on the right, but now it is just shallow metals, deep metals, flux. I typically go for some soil/clay, shallow metals, deep metals, and flux on a relatively flat heavily wooded area.

If there is a volcano there probably isn't any sedimentary layers. Other than that it seems random. You may slightly increase your chances by picking an embark at the intersection of two or three very different biomes.

Coping with a lack of iron is easier than it used to be. Not only can you order bars of metal from the liason, you can also Limonite, Hematite, and Magnetite ore if your civilization has them. You can get 4 of each every year, and each chunk of ore becomes 4 bars. If that still isn't enough and you have plenty of trade goods, you can try buying/ordering steel and iron items that melt well. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Melt_item#Yield For example, standard quality musical instruments yield one bar and cost exactly the same as one bar, so that's a great melt item.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Disassembling the game has revealed that a given surface strata has a whopping 80% chance of being sedimentary in favor of metamorphic stuff or ancient granite. Yeah, I know.

High volcanism, however, overwrites this roll entirely. Just stay away from volcanoes and export the specific map from legends mode to guide you.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Even with the absurdly high probability of sedimentary layers, I have yet to find either kind of coal in my embarks. Maybe I'm just really bad at dwarfing.

Thankfully, because of the abundance of wood, the lack of coal is just inconvenient instead of being a bad thing. Lately I've taken to making wood chutes from the surface down to where my workshops are, and once I have 40-50 dwarfs, mass dumping the cut trees down the hole. Takes a season or so most times, but then I don't have to worry about wood again.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Does Prospect All include caves? I'm guessing not because otherwise that would mean that all of the iron really is only within a 7-10 z-level window?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Even with the absurdly high probability of sedimentary layers, I have yet to find either kind of coal in my embarks. Maybe I'm just really bad at dwarfing.

Thankfully, because of the abundance of wood, the lack of coal is just inconvenient instead of being a bad thing. Lately I've taken to making wood chutes from the surface down to where my workshops are, and once I have 40-50 dwarfs, mass dumping the cut trees down the hole. Takes a season or so most times, but then I don't have to worry about wood again.

If you get a really lovely embark don't feel bad to use dfhack. For coal you want to k over a vein (after you revealed the map with reveal) and type changevein LIGNITE. I can't remember how you write bituminous so go look it up.

For prospect: prospect only works on revealed tiles. If you want to see really everything, reveal first, then prospect, then unreveal.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Does stuff actually attack you in adventurer mode now, rather than standing around waiting for you to bash their head in?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

If you get a really lovely embark don't feel bad to use dfhack. For coal you want to k over a vein (after you revealed the map with reveal) and type changevein LIGNITE. I can't remember how you write bituminous so go look it up.

For prospect: prospect only works on revealed tiles. If you want to see really everything, reveal first, then prospect, then unreveal.

can't you just run prospect all or prospect hell (if you want to know where the adamantine spire becomes hollow)?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Excelzior posted:

can't you just run prospect all or prospect hell (if you want to know where the adamantine spire becomes hollow)?

Oh, yeah that works as well, sorry.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michaellaneous posted:

Prospect shows info for unrevealed tiles. Do you mean that it's inaccurate?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I -need- dfhack anymore... I hate if i accidentally break into hell and no matter how fast i make a wall, and set a dedicated dwarf to do NOTHING but build that drat wall, they cant make it fast enough.

Im about to turn off invasions too because i cant get -any- defenses up. a quick economy and then cage traps to line a hallway just doesnt get there fast enough too.

:(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Roundboy posted:

I -need- dfhack anymore... I hate if i accidentally break into hell and no matter how fast i make a wall, and set a dedicated dwarf to do NOTHING but build that drat wall, they cant make it fast enough.

Im about to turn off invasions too because i cant get -any- defenses up. a quick economy and then cage traps to line a hallway just doesnt get there fast enough too.

How do you not finish cage traps quick enough? It literally takes a single bridge or 10 cage traps to stop the first invasion, usually.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

You can also use dfhack's prospect command on the embark screen to reveal what each potential embark site has in the way of layers. It's not completely accurate as to the amounts of each, but it will let you know if you have any sedimentary layers on your map before you commit to it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Roundboy posted:

Yeah I'm confused about this, especially now.

Carpenter's workshop + a million wood per tree = 10 cages immediately.

Mason's workshop + Mechanic's workshop are the next two things you want to build anyway. And you should definitely have "some rocks" by then. You can get cage traps up before the first season change easy.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I have been unable to get a fort past 25 dwarves, because forgotten beasts keep destroying my population (and my fort). Part of the problem may be that I use the cavern extensively and so have access to it.

How are you folks dealing with forgotten beasts? By year 2 I only have 7-12 dwarves and only a couple soldiers who usually suck, and not very good armor/weapons, and a forgotten beast (or two or three) comes and just obliterates any militia I send after them.

I need some good advice on how to deal with threats from the cavern. For threats from the surface I just build a block wall and have some sealed doors, I'm not worried about that. I haven't been able to get a fort past 30 dwarves yet before everyone gets killed or a tantrum spiral starts.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

reading posted:

I have been unable to get a fort past 25 dwarves, because forgotten beasts keep destroying my population (and my fort). Part of the problem may be that I use the cavern extensively and so have access to it.

How are you folks dealing with forgotten beasts? By year 2 I only have 7-12 dwarves and only a couple soldiers who usually suck, and not very good armor/weapons, and a forgotten beast (or two or three) comes and just obliterates any militia I send after them.

I need some good advice on how to deal with threats from the cavern. For threats from the surface I just build a block wall and have some sealed doors, I'm not worried about that. I haven't been able to get a fort past 30 dwarves yet before everyone gets killed or a tantrum spiral starts.

Forbidden hatch covers. That's it. Forgotten beast comes, you evac everyone out and lock those hatches. Nothing can break a hatch cover from the bottom.

Alternatively, don't breach the caverns. :v:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Don't breach until year 3. There is usually nothing there I want. A forgotten beast with the wrong kind of breath will ruin any military, and the ones with webs can just freeze your military and blow straight past. Unless I see a bunch of precious metals around the cavern I just let them keep it.

Do building destroyers destroy constructed floors by the way (from below or otherwise)? And, pertinent to the upcoming possible collaboration LP, can save games be swapped between Linux and Windows DF? First glance on google says yes, just wondering if anyone can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Dashticle posted:

And, pertinent to the upcoming possible collaboration LP, can save games be swapped between Linux and Windows DF? First glance on google says yes, just wondering if anyone can confirm.
Yeah, they can.

I keep my saves on Dropbox and symlink the save folder on my Windows desktop and Mac laptop. Works pretty nicely!