Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for posting the vids, inveigle!! It's so good to see (and hear) them again!

...and Frosty!!! Be the sweetheart you were, okay??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you going to just keep adding to your flock every year? What's the upper limit on chickens? I'd hate to see the annual hatchcam event go away, but at the same time, sheesh, 45 chickens. How do you even remember all their names?

And I hope you have someone buying some of your eggs!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

VS keeps it about 50 I think, some of those chickens are pretty old so there is a slow die off of old chickens throughout the year, and extras are given away after the hatch ends, (Extra roos especially, to good homes that need a roo.)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Earlier this year, during the awful wildfires, VS had FIFTY chickens in her dining room for a couple of weeks. FIFTY!!!!

Pic from that time:

That's Bloop blocking the view. :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 21, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

Earlier this year, during the awful wildfires, VS had FIFTY chickens in her dining room for a couple of weeks. FIFTY!!!!

Pic from that time:

That's Bloop blocking the view. :)

Now THERE is something I hope to never repeat. Thank God for those old sheets we'd put down to protect everything...

I think the chickens were actually in the house for three days straight during the worst of the fire, then a day here and there over the next two weeks when needed. It worked since we only lost a couple of animals from the smoke.

But yeah, our upper limit is around 50. We like it to be less than that. We have a mixed flock of many breeds, so it's pretty easy to keep track of who's who. About 1/3 of my flock right now are older birds that are 8 years old and up, so we expect to lose a few every year from natural causes.

Our extra eggs we give to family, neighbors, friends, the school and the local food closet. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

If you like Chickam, you'll love watching Tits on Peep Show: http://www.nrk.no/piipshow/about-the-piip-show-1.11575642

For live action you'll have to wait for next Spring, though.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, look! The final Chickam chick update! From July! Just now posted!

http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/07/2014-chickam-chick-final-update.html

loving finally. Sorry it took so long, real life got in the way of my Internet duties.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, look! The final Chickam chick update! From July! Just now posted!

http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/07/2014-chickam-chick-final-update.html

loving finally. Sorry it took so long, real life got in the way of my Internet duties.

awww Thanks for the wonderful update. I can't believe how many boys you ended up with!

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Is Cm just very fertile or is Weeds slacking on his duties?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Weedcat does have a case of Fluffy Butt that needs to be periodically addressed. Maybe that's why Cam seems to be making chicks with all of Weedcat's hens.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Weedcat, aka HMKP (His Majesty King Fluffypants), has way too much fluff to handle! He needs diligent trimming so he can have more heirs to the Fluffypants Throne!

I remember when Weedcat was a chick, that VS was always teasing him because of his fluffy "pantaloons." :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

JimBobDole posted:

Is Cm just very fertile or is Weeds slacking on his duties?

More like, 'Cam was running around madly humping anything with a steady pulse'. Weedcat is mature enough to not be quite so frenzied.

No Chickam today--husband's AND the kid's computers both died this morning, and 12_String has to take them apart and fix them. That's what comes of building everything at the same time, I guess. One is a power supply issue, the other is a mother board thing. Mine is the only one working right now.

If we get things going again we'll try for tomorrow!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I wish I was allowed to get more chickens, I'd love to adopt Ribbit or Ratchet :swoon:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Loving the photos & updates VS! <3
Thank you so much for those!
...and that Cam...
Cam, bam, thank you, ma'am.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Phaena posted:

Loving the photos & updates VS! <3
Thank you so much for those!
...and that Cam...
Cam, bam, thank you, ma'am.

LOL Phaena! I'm laughing so hard.... Cam, bam, thank you, ma'am! ahahahahahaha :roflolmao:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up and running using a new laptop! Wireless! True HD! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Ain't modern technology grand, though! :v:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

08/30/14 VS, 12String and Young Lady, thank you for the wonderful broadcast today! Have a great weekend!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
We might do a bonus hummingbird cam some day this week. We have a tiny but obnoxious little Rufus that defends the feeder from its base on a wind chime.

edit: Wrong variety of hummer

12_String fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 31, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yay, look what Phaena did! http://www.zazzle.ca/his_majesty_king_fluffy_pants_tee_shirt-235311600791071538
I love it! :keke:

In other news, I had an idea for an interesting thing for this weekend's Chickam...because giving the chickens new things to do is always fun. I asked 12_String to work out the tech side of it and we'll see if it works!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yay, look what Phaena did! http://www.zazzle.ca/his_majesty_king_fluffy_pants_tee_shirt-235311600791071538

In other news, I had an idea for an interesting thing for this weekend's Chickam...because giving the chickens new things to do is always fun. I asked 12_String to work out the tech side of it and we'll see if it works!

So glad you love it, VS! I want to make sure I had your approval first. :3
(Sorry about the high price of the shirt. Such is the pricing of these print-on-demand sites. I tend to make my purchases when they have sales XD)

and AHHHH! I might miss Chickam this Sat! Hope there'll be a vid or photos of the shenanigans!!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Just started up a temporary Hummingbird cam on Chickam. This of course assures that the hummingbirds will not show up. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hummingbirds at the feeder and our other assorted wild birds on the small table in the background: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

YAY! Can't wait to order mine on payday next Friday! HOORAY! Thank you Phaena and VS!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

piscesbobbie posted:

YAY! Can't wait to order mine on payday next Friday! HOORAY! Thank you Phaena and VS!

same same, my paycheck is already spent!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I do wish they offered it on a coffee cup, though...my Viva la Peep cup needs company.

EDIT: VVVV Yay, thank you!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 6, 2014

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I do wish they offered it on a coffee cup, though...my Viva la Peep cup needs company.

VS, I'll work on a design that works on a coffee cup!! I need to figure something that'll work on a white background.
Will let you know when that's up!

and Bobbie, AtomikKrab...thanks!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

We're working up something special for a bit later: it involves fun food for the chickens. :keke:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We placed the cam INSIDE of a pumpkin, come and see what a pumpkin experiences!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VS and 12-String, thank you for the wonderful show today! What a blast that was and interesting view!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Checking put the pumpkin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Oh my gosh, Inveigle, that's an amazing shot! XDDDD
Is that Frosty?

VS, 12_String, will you be doing more from inside the (food) cams in the future?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yup, that's Frosty. He, Jellybean and Pie finally screwed up their courage just before dark and came over to inspect the pumpkin.

At this point, the cam is being run off of a laptop, so no more wired Internet connection, yay! It frees the cam up for placement in much more creative places. :v:

Although watermeloncam is out, too wet and sticky. We plan on putting the cam into the coop next Spring, pointed at the nest boxes, so everyone can see what happens when the chickens get twitterpated.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Phaena, you rock! :woop:

The HMKFP mug: http://www.zazzle.ca/his_majesty_king_fluffy_pants_mug-168468617989866968

EDIT: Also, I put up a new blog post showing how Pumpkincam was made: http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/09/pumpkincam.html

I still have to edit up the video we recorded.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 7, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I still have to edit up the video we recorded.

Did you get video of them eating the mealworms? I came in like an hour after that, so only one or two chickens at a time were pecking the pumpkin. I recorded a bit of that.

Great idea for the cam! It was so much fun getting to see close-ups of all the old (and new) chooks. :D

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Aww, thanks VS!!
and thanks for posting the making of the pumpkincam! Looking forward to the video!! XD
(awww the moltitude...)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Saturday's broadcast was AMAZING! I am so excited for Friday to get here so I can purchase me some fine FanArt, a shirt AND matching coffee mug! Thank you Phaena, your work is amazing!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

piscesbobbie posted:

Saturday's broadcast was AMAZING! I am so excited for Friday to get here so I can purchase me some fine FanArt, a shirt AND matching coffee mug! Thank you Phaena, your work is amazing!

Aww, thanks, Bobbie!!

You know...every time I see Frosty's face....and his beard...I keep thinking "that's a respectable Playoff Beard right there..."

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

GREETINGS! Just placed my HMKFP order for a t-shirt AND coffee mug! I couldn't order through the link but if you go to https://www.zazzle.com and type in the search area HIS MAJESTY KING FLUFFY PANTS the items appear! I think the link above is for Canadian citizens only :) I received a 15% discount for some reason but hey! I'm so looking forward to receiving my items! Thank you Phaena and VS!

edit: Can't wait to see the looks on the faces of my co-workers hee hee hee!

2nd edit: Sept 13th 650 am. My order is ready for shipping - tracking number and everything! HOORAY! :h:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 13, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thanks, piscesbobbie! :)

The cam is up and running...the weather today is odd and cloudy (and smoky from the Yosemite fires), we may get thunderstorms later on but we'll run the cam as long as possible.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the show today VS, 12_String and The Kid! It's a little after 7 pm and I have things to take care of for my dad. I'm still shocked that I witnessed Cam chasing off Weedcat! VS, I'm curious about the tie dye cake! Is it a special recipe? I hope The Young Lady has a wonderful Birthday tomorrow. Again, thank you for the show! Have a wonderful week and hope to 'see' you next Saturday! bye :)

edit 09/16/14

Did not want to do a double post sooo... Zazzle has told me my anticipated delivery day is Wed 09/17/14. I'm just hoping for Thursday! HOORAY! Can't wait to see my HMKFP Fan Art! Thank you Phaena and VS for making it possible :) Hope my XM satellite radio battery gets here this week!

edit 09/17/14

GUESS WHAT! My goodies arrived today, including the XM battery I needed. Phaena, I LOVE the artwork! Thanks again Phaena and VS for making this possible. I'm wearin' my shirt to work tomorrow. After all, it is what I call Friday/Thursday (I work 4 ten hour days Mon thru Thurs)! :peanut:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread