Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ChibiSoma posted:

Each instance of the drat thing is chewing 60-70,000K.

Holy poo poo! Not seventy entire megabytes! Out of your at worst two or four gigabytes! gently caress you Gabe Newell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kirbysuperstar posted:

Holy poo poo! Not seventy entire megabytes! Out of your at worst two or four gigabytes! gently caress you Gabe Newell!

Problem is the number is steadily climbing higher and higher. It feels more like a memory leak than anything else. Web browsing/video playing chugs when it's running, too. Close down Steam and everything returns to normal. Given that I have Steam minimized, this many instances of the loving thing shouldn't even be open. And if you could close them without the drat things immediately restarting themselves, maybe it wouldn't be an issue. You can't get rid of the problem, you can only temporarily reset the memory it's eating.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Kirbysuperstar, you joke, but a few extra hundred MB means a programming issue, and that stuff tends to constantly overrun and get bigger. So you're trying to make light of something that's a pretty annoying quality of life (for the computer) problem. Keep on trying, though.

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope. Got Steam itself minimized. Got a chat window open to one person, and that's it. Also not using Chrome, since I've seen a lot of posts bring it up in relation to this.

Ahh. I'm sure you've figured it out, but the chat windows are webhelper, too. You're right, sometimes the process doesn't like to close.

-:xcom: but for steam-

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 26, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason I brought it up is because of a game on Kickstarter, Parkitect. Looks to be trying to revitalize the genre. Something about seeing that food stand with a giant hamburger on it triggered nostalgia for Sim Theme Park and then Theme Hospital. gently caress mobile gaming for ruining those genres for all of us.

If you want to play Theme Hopsital itself, CorsixTH is an open source clone of it. It requires the Theme Hospital game files from either the demo or the full game from GoG, both of which are linked on the site.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Charlie Brown posted:

Wyv and Keep?

Thank you, that was it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tezzeract posted:

Also, is there something about Payday 2 that I'm missing. The game feels like a major step back from the amazing Payday 1. It went from an inspired L4D game with great levels to COD horde mode.

I'm right there with you. Just didn't enjoy it. Couldn't put my finger on what it was, but your description seems apt.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kragger99 posted:

I'm right there with you. Just didn't enjoy it. Couldn't put my finger on what it was, but your description seems apt.

Those were the days, my friend. :sigh:
Payday 1 was a good time.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Eruonen posted:

RCT2 is easily the best one for that, and in fact the best one in the series. I don't think it's on Steam but I believe GOG has it.

I still remember building tons of "money loop" coasters to beat the levels. Launch start, a loop, and a dead-end hill to slow and then return the cars to the platform. Quick ride, massive profit. They fund your crazy dream coasters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snuffman posted:

Specifically the sensitivity between the keyboard cursor and the mouse. I can't recall which one I had problems with but I suspect it was the mouse. The sensitivity in the game was too low.

This is because there is no sensitivity involved. The game is designed to be played with the controller. The game thinks your mouse is a joystick, and each time you move it moves one square in the direction you moved it. It doesn't matter how fast or hard you move the mouse, one movement in a direction will move one square. Imagine it's a joystick flicking back to center.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Killing Floor was fun for awhile but I didn't find it quite as engaging as ME3's multiplayer, which is what I was hoping it was more like. I think I expected more special abilities and unique kits than guns and generic soldier types. Some people get really into it though.

This is why Killing Floor 2 might be the first Early Access game I spend money on because everything I've read said they've changed the simple "Do these one or two things per class over and over and over to level up" to distinct perks and abilities.

Don't be surprised if this turns out to feel incredibly rushed, simple, and short because Nickelodeon pushed out Season 3 of Korra with basically no marketing and as such the ratings plummeted from the previous two seasons. They could simply be trying to catch the last vestiges of its popularity coming off the recent season finale and October is the earliest date they think they can use and still get a functional game out of it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The first season of Korra is much, much better than the second, and is pretty good up until the last two episodes. Season 3 just finished airing and while not quite as good as the first season, it's pretty great. None of them are as good as TLA, so just tailor your expectations. :(

Basically skip s02 and watch s03.

Skipping Season 2 would make Season 3 less than what it turned out to be unfortunately. Season 2 is a bit of mess but its still good to watch the whole thing, if only to make Season 3 that much better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yo, there are better cartoons to watch than the lovely Legend of Korra, but that's getting into anime talk, so I won't do it.

LoK went from 'kinda neat with a few funny bits' to 'holy god this is pretty poo poo but thank gently caress the art and design are at least okay'. Anything else is just fanboys trying to salvage the crash because of nostalgia over the Avatar.

I can't imagine the game is going to be any good from any perspective, either.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Drifter posted:

Yo, there are better cartoons to watch than the lovely Legend of Korra, but that's getting into anime talk, so I won't do it.

LoK went from 'kinda neat with a few funny bits' to 'holy god this is pretty poo poo but thank gently caress the art and design are at least okay'. Anything else is just fanboys trying to salvage the crash because of nostalgia over the Avatar.

I can't imagine the game is going to be any good from any perspective, either.

I'm not gonna get into an Internet slapfight about the show (which has really improved) but the game looks good at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

A little simpler than Platinum's other stuff but it looks like it will be solid.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Eruonen posted:

RCT2 is easily the best one for that, and in fact the best one in the series. I don't think it's on Steam but I believe GOG has it.

1 and 2 are on steam now, actually: http://store.steampowered.com/app/285330/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Humerus posted:

I'm not gonna get into an Internet slapfight about the show (which has really improved) but the game looks good at least:

A little simpler than Platinum's other stuff but it looks like it will be solid.

You get to ride your polarbear dog. :3:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Quest For Glory II posted:

In the beginning it takes a while to line up a shot and just shooting at will gives you the accuracy of a drunk uncle. I'd just like the shot to go where the laser sight is pointed. I don't want to have to wait 5 seconds while this cursor slowly turns red before doing it.

Some Alpha Protocol tips:
-The pistol, mechanically, is a sniper rifle with an interesting nerf to its unzoomed state. And, it does nonlethal. They had to nerf it somehow.
-Stealth runs are actually harder than combat, if you're good at shooty games. The game is trying to make mechanics to reward patience, so yes the Pistol starts out hard to use, but it's also very rewarding.
-One way to fix weapon accuracy is gun-fu. While you're waiting for your melee animation to finish, bring your crosshair over your victim, and now you've got guaranteed hits. Also a great way to avoid counters if the enemy blocks.
-You skilled for the Assault Rifle as backup didn't you? The Assault Rifle gets subsonic (stealth) rounds, and is also best used as a camping/sniping weapon, so it's basically another interesting stealthy sniper rifle variant.

Or just play a total rear end in a top hat shotgun guy with a backwards cap.
:allears:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Another important thing to remember about Alpha Protocol: despite it being a stealth game, you can't ghost it. Don't even loving try it. You can sneak past some enemies but stealth is primarily there to set up a takedown.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished up ep 1 of the second season of Walking Dead last night. It was alright I guess. One decision in particular, do you end the dogs misery or let it slowly bleed to death? was really stupid. Obviously there's an choice everyone is going to make there, unless they're purposefully roleplaying as a sadistic piece of poo poo I guess.

Also, I don't know if I'm going to be comfortable watching Clementine go through some of the poo poo that wasn't so bad playing as Lee. Like did that suturing scene really need to go on as long as it did?

I'm trying to get caught up for the finale this week so I hope it improves a bit.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
One time I tried to play Two Brothers but it kept glitching out and I couldn't make it through the talky intro bits. So let me know if you have better luck, yeah?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Humerus posted:

Yeah, that actually looks fun. It's about time we got a halfway decent Avatar game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Male Man posted:

One time I tried to play Two Brothers but it kept glitching out and I couldn't make it through the talky intro bits. So let me know if you have better luck, yeah?

Ooh. I had thought you were just linking to the steam page, and went to look at what you were talking about. haha. Thank you for the nice surprise. :)

Damegane
May 7, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

gun-fu
rear end in a top hat shotgun guy

That was my first playthrough. Heavily-armoured madman charging in, spraying buckshot everywhere until I gets into melee range, then it's combos until the guy goes down or starts blocking, at which point its shotgun time again. :black101:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Is there any kind of lobby system for it?

As in, if I want to play Terra Mystica, can I advertise that somehow or is the game locked down to inviting friends only?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Been working on my backlog the past few weeks, and got to play Brothers - a Tale of Two Sons last night (Thanks Dementropy!). This is the game where you control 2 brothers (most times simultaneously) each with one of the thumbsticks on the controller. It's a puzzle/platrformer.
While I often get confused which one I'm controlling (I think the secret to to keep the left thumbstick brother on the left side of the screen, and right on the right) the game is all sorts of charming, and the puzzles are fun, but not challenging - don't expect a difficult game here. I also think it's quite short (3-5 hours), and an easy one to 100%. If you have it in your backlog, I'd urge you to give it a try, and see if it sticks. There's also 2 Playfire cheeves that you can get in about an hour.

Also finished Stick it to the Man on the weekend (Thanks Lock!). This one had an interesting mechanic where you can read minds, and manipulate the environment with an alien arm growing out of your head. There was a bit too much dialogue in this game for me, and sometimes when I was trying to grab something, it'd grab the wrong thing, creating frustration, but in the end, I enjoyed it overall, and read most of the dialogue the last half. I think it's It feels like a Doublefine game, so it's got that humor aspect, charm, and weirdness.

VVV - I admire your tackling of your backlog good sir, and thanks for the note about not being Doublefine :) VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 26, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not by Doublefine but it feels like a Doublefine game. It's like a good version of The Cave.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Humerus posted:

This reminds me a lot of the Naruto fighter games.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I like everything about Alpha Protocol except the six or so mostly combat missions. So boring. :sigh: The palace in Rome is the worst. If only all the missions were as short and cool as the listening post. As far as Obsidian dungeons go, though, nothing in AP is as bland as the intro dungeon to KOTOR 2 or the first half of Dead Money.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alpha Protocol is the kind of game where if you level up your martial arts skill, your dude does martial arts in cutscenes. Without it he does regular brawling type stuff.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Metro 2033 Redux updated and it ate my save :wtc:

edit: Never mind, the patch changed the save file folder path

Sober fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 26, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Walking Dead Season 2 finale is downloading right now! Get on it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Walking Dead Season 2 finale is downloading right now! Get on it.

But I like feeling happy :smith:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

But I like feeling happy :smith:

I feel like season 2 hasn't been terrible in that regard. Season 1 though, Goddamn. Being a father made that especially hard hitting. Or maybe I just have a super dusty house.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
$10 for season 2 of Walking Dead seems like a pretty goddamn good price.

I was expecting it to be $12 or $14 again. How could I say no to $10?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

$10 for season 2 of Walking Dead seems like a pretty goddamn good price.

I was expecting it to be $12 or $14 again. How could I say no to $10?

Because you'd like to experience happiness ever again :shepface:.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because you'd like to experience happiness ever again :shepface:.

I've been to the Dragon Age thread. There's nowhere to go but up for me.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
If I played Walking Dead s1 on the Xbox but want to play s2 on Steam, how hosed am I? Is there a save editor like for Mass Effect/Dragon Age?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

If I played Walking Dead s1 on the Xbox but want to play s2 on Steam, how hosed am I? Is there a save editor like for Mass Effect/Dragon Age?

I did both on PC but didn't transfer my saves. Didn't seem to matter one bit. It would only affect the "PREVIOUSLY ON SEASON 1" intro most likely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The save only affects some of Clem's dialogue in episode 2 and whether or not some characters have cameos later on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

The save only affects some of Clem's dialogue in episode 2 and whether or not some characters have cameos later on.

No, there's some dialogue affected in Episode 4 as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what about the dlc for season 1? does that effect season 2 in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

what about the dlc for season 1? does that effect season 2 in any way?

Nah, all it does is affect which of them show up as incidental background characters in one of the episodes of season 2.

• Locked thread