Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I am buying a pair of headphones soon. That is why I am here.

My preference is full size over-ear, comfortable for extended use, with a slightly bright sound. My budget is 100bux, plus or minus 30.

I've been looking into Koss PRO3AAs and Sony MDR-7506s. Would either of those be a sound purchase? Which would you prefer? Are there any other models I should be considering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
Im looking to get a pair for my job at Jeep. We can only wearing Bone Conducting headsets. I notice the brand Aftershokz seem to be the main company. Does anyone have suggestions?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

There is evidence actually, Tyll posted graphs that, while inconclusive, certainly look like it's happening. Tyll posted this. Tyll claims that the results were inconclusive because there are too many variables. I get that, but I am also seeing that the headphones response is not changing erratically from measurement to measurement. The graph is tightening up each measurement.

Now I've heard more headphones brand new to 100+ hours than most people that will post here, maybe even the most. I can say with certainty that I've heard this phenomena. This is why I make sure to listen to a headphone for at least 50 hours of head time after 50 hours of playing music through them while at work before I consider making a judgement. 50 hours to allow for the diaphragms to stretch their legs and 50 hours for me to get accustomed to the sound.

You can believe me or not, that's your prerogative, but there certainly needs to be a counter-point to your bold claims.

Edit: Page 2, Fig 6:

Thing is though, for that you need to eliminate the fit as a variable. Those headphones use plasticine foam and a fabric cover that fatigues and compresses under pressure over time.

And when the changes presented are often less than 1dB, that's well within any margin of error. Grack's claims aren't bold—there really is no conclusive evidence that speaker burn-in is the main driver ( :v: ) of a perceived change in performance. Same goes for "soundstage" and a bunch of other terms that really aren't connected to the components of the machine.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

WugLyfe posted:

Thing is though, for that you need to eliminate the fit as a variable. Those headphones use plasticine foam and a fabric cover that fatigues and compresses under pressure over time.

And when the changes presented are often less than 1dB, that's well within any margin of error. Grack's claims aren't bold—there really is no conclusive evidence that speaker burn-in is the main driver ( :v: ) of a perceived change in performance. Same goes for "soundstage" and a bunch of other terms that really aren't connected to the components of the machine.

Let's be honest here, the graphs are clearly moving in one direction for the first few measurements. That's not dumb luck. I fully admit that pad break-in is another variable, as is positioning, but the graphs are showing steady forward moving changes in the first 5 measurements.

It's bold to say that it doesn't exist because that's just not right. I'm not saying I am either, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Midorka posted:

Let's be honest here, the graphs are clearly moving in one direction for the first few measurements. That's not dumb luck. I fully admit that pad break-in is another variable, as is positioning, but the graphs are showing steady forward moving changes in the first 5 measurements.

It's bold to say that it doesn't exist because that's just not right. I'm not saying I am either, though.

From the page you linked:

quote:

With the exception of the large spike at about 12500Hz all changes between measurements lies between +/- 1dB. This is a fairly small amount of change across the board.

Are you seriously going to argue that a less than 1 db change over 90 hours of play constitutes "burning in"?

Fine, I amend my earlier statement - "Burning in may do something but the change is so small it may as well be imperceptible."

Happy?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

Tyll's data, while interesting and certainly worthy of exploration (thanks for posting it, btw—I hadn't seen that before), doesn't show a meaningful relationship between time and driver performance. Like he said, too many variables. When the changes are most marked in either ranges most listeners physically cannot hear, or in power sums that any listener physically cannot hear—you can safely toss out any apparent correlation as it's well within the margin of error for this type of data collection.

Things like accumulated heat from your head reducing ear pad resistance (something not found on a HAT simulator), air pressure/temp, etc can swing ranges much more dramatically than that. While it's tempting to point to an apparent trend in data, this particular one doesn't cross into an irreproachable corpus of samples.

The experiment was cool, though, and good to figure out!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hello, I'm looking for a nice comfortable, not-too-bulky, headset for music and gaming, preferably with a built in microphone.

Budget - $30-60
Source - Laptop PC, either through audio jacks or USB.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance -Balanced
Past Headphones - A bunch of cheapish gaming headsets (Yapster, Plantronics etc.), they were comfortable but they broke after a year or two. So, something that lasts would be nice.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal, and electronic stuff.

I have not used them myself, but Razer Carcharias get excellent reviews for comfort and mic quality. If I recall, they tend to overemphasize bass very slightly, which many people like in games and for various forms of rock and metal. There are often good deals at various retailers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I asked about custom IEMs recently. After spending way too much time on Head-fi and having a really great windfall at work, I bumped my budget up and I've got my eyes on a pair of 1964 V6's (non-Stage).

Audiologist appointment for $35 impressions in an hour. Here goes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I asked about custom IEMs recently. After spending way too much time on Head-fi and having a really great windfall at work, I bumped my budget up and I've got my eyes on a pair of 1964 V6's (non-Stage).

Audiologist appointment for $35 impressions in an hour. Here goes.

I hope you took 1964's instructions for the audiologist and you used a bite block. If an audiologist does IEM impressions regularly you are probably good but if you went to one who doesn't do it much the instructions are crucial for success.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

I hope you took 1964's instructions for the audiologist and you used a bite block. If an audiologist does IEM impressions regularly you are probably good but if you went to one who doesn't do it much the instructions are crucial for success.

It was the same doc who did my last set and the results were fine then.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

From the page you linked:

Are you seriously going to argue that a less than 1 db change over 90 hours of play constitutes "burning in"?

Fine, I amend my earlier statement - "Burning in may do something but the change is so small it may as well be imperceptible."

Happy?

1db deviations are easily noticed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

1db deviations are easily noticed.

These aren't 1db deviations. It's a less than 1db change TOTAL over the course of 90 hours.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

It was the same doc who did my last set and the results were fine then.

Those look good. How deep a fit are you getting?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

Those look good. How deep a fit are you getting?

That's up to the lab, but I assume they'll cut them off before the last elbow. Any further would be painful to insert, and probably difficult to drill tube holes into.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

These aren't 1db deviations. It's a less than 1db change TOTAL over the course of 90 hours.

There is more than just one narrow band of the spectrum changing over the course of this time. Lots of small changes of 0.5db or so could definitely change the perceived sound. If you don't believe me that 0.5db differences are noticeable then try the Philips Golden Ears Challenge.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Last day for the Massdrop on HD 700s and they are almost at the lowest price of $550 with free shipping! I won't be buying but a pretty great deal if you are looking at headphones right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sennheiser-hd700-headphones

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Is the ATH-M50x worth the extra $40? I originally wanted to use an inline mic with them for taking calls while on my iPhone, but apparently they use a proprietary connector and there isn't a cable with an inline remote available. (yet?) Reviews say there's also an improvement in sound quality, but it's unclear if it's enough to justify $179 vs $139 for the M50s.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The M50x wouldn't be worth your time even for $100 unless you're dead set on having a pair of full-sized headphones for portable use that are built well. I think the sound is atrocious. The only thing they have going for them is their isolation and build quality.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I forgot to post a review when I got my R-50Ms, but they're an amazing improvement over anything I'd had before. The level of clarity took a while to adjust to because previously muddled background things were suddenly competing with the foreground for my attention (e.g. the cymbals on some tracks went from "a dull thing keeping the beat" to like sitting next to them). The memory wire was miserable until I switched from Comply Isolation tips to Comfort, though.

Anyway, in honour of Spotify's entry into Canada, I'm looking for a new set of full-sized headphones to graze with.

Budget - <$250
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP, home theatre receiver.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-CD380, Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151*, Rock It Sounds R-50M, Meelectronics M6P
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical. Like 90% of my listening time is split between the Flaming Lips and Belle and Sebastian.

Also I guess I'm in the market for a cheapo Bluetooth headset with some degree of isolation for listening to podcasts.

*Meelectronics was nice enough to replace my first pair six weeks out of warranty. Then I lost the replacements :smith:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I forgot to post a review when I got my R-50Ms, but they're an amazing improvement over anything I'd had before. The level of clarity took a while to adjust to because previously muddled background things were suddenly competing with the foreground for my attention (e.g. the cymbals on some tracks went from "a dull thing keeping the beat" to like sitting next to them). The memory wire was miserable until I switched from Comply Isolation tips to Comfort, though.

Anyway, in honour of Spotify's entry into Canada, I'm looking for a new set of full-sized headphones to graze with.

Budget - <$250
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP, home theatre receiver.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-CD380, Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151*, Rock It Sounds R-50M, Meelectronics M6P
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical. Like 90% of my listening time is split between the Flaming Lips and Belle and Sebastian.

Also I guess I'm in the market for a cheapo Bluetooth headset with some degree of isolation for listening to podcasts.

*Meelectronics was nice enough to replace my first pair six weeks out of warranty. Then I lost the replacements :smith:

If you can live without bluetooth the AKG 271 Mk.2's are around $225.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So I spend 2+ hours a day on subways/buses and go on 10-20 hour flights about at least 10 times a year. These would be headphones for these situations.

Budget - $100~$140 (where I live there will be a significant markup, but this should be a decent baseline for US prices)
Source - Nexus 5, iPad, 3DS, PSVita, laptop
Isolation Requirements - It'd be nice since I'm normally using these in loud/busy areas but not absolutely necessary
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, but I'd take good IEM recommendations as well.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 380, Audio-technica ATHM50, and other big 'ol headphones that do not travel well. A while ago I had a pair of Sennheiser PXC-250s I traveled with. I got them on the cheap and did not like them very much. They were pretty flimsy and broke after a couple months.
Preferred Music - I listen to everything, but I'll probably be using these with mainly podcasts and games.

Of course sound is important, but I'd rather have durability and comfort since these are going to be worn for very long periods of time and probably get a lot of wear and tear on them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VelociBacon posted:

If you mean these ones you can get them for $112.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elysiume posted:

If you mean these ones you can get them for $112.

Wow that's an incredible deal. They come with velour earpads as well in case anyone is put off by the leather.

Is there an appreciable difference using a proper headphone amp rather than a motherboard on a PC? Caveat being that there has been no clipping at all, volume is more than adequate, no leveling has been noticed, and the EQ is handled by software. Headphones are SRH1540's.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, these look good, anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp to go with them?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Yeah, these look good, anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp to go with them?

I found I was able to drive them fine with my iphone but they're really quite large to be wearing on the subway etc and they're 100% isolating.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I found I was able to drive them fine with my iphone but they're really quite large to be wearing on the subway etc and they're 100% isolating.

Haha, yeah I wasn't planning on wearing the AKGs around town, I just wanted to not be tied to an outlet and also have the option to use it with my IEMs. A lot of reviews do seem to think the 271s go from "good" to "really good" with an amp, though. I'll try them on their own then maybe go for the Fiio E11 or E11K.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 2, 2014

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Budget - ~100-150
Source - Nexus 5, iPod mini, Sanza Clip
Isolation Requirements - Closed, MUST be sweat resistant
Preferred Type of Headphone - Ear bud preferred, but would consider over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Desktop setup is: FLAC -> Toslink -> Bifrost -> Asgard -> HD650
Preferred Music - Electronic mostly, some hip-hop

Is there a gold standard for workout headphones? Considering a cheap-o pair but thought I'd check here to see if there's something worth investing a little more in.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
Budget - $150 is my soft limit...I'd prefer not to go higher but could be convinced
Source - ipod or computer. Down the line I'd be willing to invest in an amp or something
Isolation Requirements - No isolation needed, I will be listening in my bedroom
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear or Over-ear, open back
Preferred Tonal Balance - See below.
Past Headphones - Bose AE2. They work well enough but I feel like I can get a step up in overall quality
Preferred Music - My tastes are all over the place. I listen to pretty much everything but country

One thing I was curious about is that I have a mild to moderate hearing impairment. It is across the board but a little worse at the higher end. One of my biggest issues with listening to music is that vocals tend to get lost in the fray. Unless a vocalist is REALLY clear, I have a very hard time making out the lyrics. A lot of vocals tend to sound like Yellow Ledbetter to me - I know they are saying something I'm just not sure what.

I'm wondering if headphones with a large soundstage would help with this. As it might give the vocal sound more room and I might have an easier time making it out? Or if there are headphones that are tonally balanced towards vocals.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Psmith posted:

Budget - $150 is my soft limit...I'd prefer not to go higher but could be convinced
Source - ipod or computer. Down the line I'd be willing to invest in an amp or something
Isolation Requirements - No isolation needed, I will be listening in my bedroom
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear or Over-ear, open back
Preferred Tonal Balance - See below.
Past Headphones - Bose AE2. They work well enough but I feel like I can get a step up in overall quality
Preferred Music - My tastes are all over the place. I listen to pretty much everything but country

One thing I was curious about is that I have a mild to moderate hearing impairment. It is across the board but a little worse at the higher end. One of my biggest issues with listening to music is that vocals tend to get lost in the fray. Unless a vocalist is REALLY clear, I have a very hard time making out the lyrics. A lot of vocals tend to sound like Yellow Ledbetter to me - I know they are saying something I'm just not sure what.

I'm wondering if headphones with a large soundstage would help with this. As it might give the vocal sound more room and I might have an easier time making it out? Or if there are headphones that are tonally balanced towards vocals.

Have you listened to a Grado? I tend to find their highs slightly fatiguing, but that might be perfect for you.

Psmith
May 7, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Have you listened to a Grado? I tend to find their highs slightly fatiguing, but that might be perfect for you.

Grado is actually one of the ones I had considered in my research. Either the SR60 or SR80 as they both come in a little below my price range. I've heard they have kind of a love it/hate it sound so I definitely wanted to listen first. I've been trying to find a place to go where I can listen in the Boston area. I think I found one in Cambridge so I will definitely check it out.

I was also looking at the Sennheiser 558 and the ATH AD700x. I was a little put off by people describing the 558's as "bland" but I honestly have no idea what that means as someone who is completely new to high end headphones

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

grack posted:

Just a check in from super-cheap headphone territory: The Philips SHE3590 was updated with oval stems, similar to some of the lower end Panasonics. It is awesome and very comfortable. The models marked "Clear Sound" are the ones with the ovals.

These sound like exactly what I want, but I can't find any of this model with the Clear Sound version on eBay or amazon. Is there somewhere specific I should be looking for them?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Psmith posted:

Grado is actually one of the ones I had considered in my research. Either the SR60 or SR80 as they both come in a little below my price range. I've heard they have kind of a love it/hate it sound so I definitely wanted to listen first. I've been trying to find a place to go where I can listen in the Boston area. I think I found one in Cambridge so I will definitely check it out.

I was also looking at the Sennheiser 558 and the ATH AD700x. I was a little put off by people describing the 558's as "bland" but I honestly have no idea what that means as someone who is completely new to high end headphones

Sound Lion in Harvard Sq. Cambridge, Sound Lab in Harvard Sq. Cambridge, or Q Audio in Central Sq. Cambridge. The last two are the quietest inside.

e. Unquantifiable adjectives are generally horseshit, feel free to ignore them.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 2, 2014

Psmith
May 7, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

Sound Lion in Harvard Sq. Cambridge, Sound Lab in Harvard Sq. Cambridge, or Q Audio in Central Sq. Cambridge. The last two are the quietest inside.

e. Unquantifiable adjectives are generally horseshit, feel free to ignore them.

Perfect, thanks! I'll figure out which one is easiest to get to and go try out some headphone options

e: just checked the websites of those places (I think Sound Lab is actually Audio Lab) and that is exactly what I needed so thanks again

Psmith fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 2, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Psmith posted:

Perfect, thanks! I'll figure out which one is easiest to get to and go try out some headphone options

e: just checked the websites of those places (I think Sound Lab is actually Audio Lab) and that is exactly what I needed so thanks again

Ah, crap. Shows how much I remembered about that place. It's in that weird hidden mall. Good luck!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

These sound like exactly what I want, but I can't find any of this model with the Clear Sound version on eBay or amazon. Is there somewhere specific I should be looking for them?

I found them at a local Target, but I'm in Canada so I'm not sure where you'd go. The ones with the oval stems are marked "Clear Sound" on the front of the package.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm looking for a portable amp with a DAC for a PC and looked at a couple of them, like the FiiO E17 and the FiiO E18, but it seems like these products have widely different features and target markets. If my primary use would be as DAC and portable sometimes, which one of the two would be my best choice? Any other options that are better? Android phone, multiple OSes and specs for the PC they would be used on. Budget is unlimited.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

So these arrived today:

I've had them on for less than an hour, but will gladly take any questions.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ilifinicus posted:

I'm looking for a portable amp with a DAC for a PC and looked at a couple of them, like the FiiO E17 and the FiiO E18, but it seems like these products have widely different features and target markets. If my primary use would be as DAC and portable sometimes, which one of the two would be my best choice? Any other options that are better? Android phone, multiple OSes and specs for the PC they would be used on. Budget is unlimited.

I use the E17 + E09K combo. I actually haven't removed the E17 from the E09K in like a year, because I find that using a portable amp is honestly just a pain in the rear end, but it's a nice option to have if you're the type who don't mind it.

No experience with the E18, but it seems like it's designed to basically be only used as a portable DAC and primarily for smartphones/portable media players. Without getting into the sound, I'd say the E17 is a better option if you think you might also want the E09K for driving more demanding headphones at home, or the E18 if you're only ever going to use it as a portable DAC/amp.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

My advice is to not worry about a portable amp. They add bulk and take away from the point of being portable. A lot of people are fine with the size/weight, but to me, someone who wears clothes that fit properly, it's way too bulky. My suggestion would be to get a Sansa Clip+ for portable use and a Schiit Modi/Magni stack for home use. Portable set-ups should be just that, portable.

Just my $0.02.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm bad at studying in the presence of any sound. I've considered earmuffs, but then I realized that if I wanted to listen to music occasionally at the same time I would have to stick IEMs underneath them, or wear normal headphones with higher-than-usual volume to completely block out outside sounds. I could just save a ton of money by going with the IEM + earmuff route, but I think I'd rather be silly and go for the more expensive option of a set of headphones that can block out a ton of sound (non-repeating, conversational level) with low volume or no music at all. Basically, somewhere along the line of noise-cancelling (where you can play music at whatever volume because there's no sound to compete) but not actually noise-cancelling, because the OP says it's stupid.

I've read that Etymotic gives pretty drat good sound reduction, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of sticking it in my ear.

Budget - $250 but if you convince me I can go $300.
Source - Computer, phone, tablet.
Isolation Requirements - Closed. Any sound leakage is out of the question.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural, supa-aural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-1R, ATH-AD700
Preferred Music - anything goes