Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
louie ck still uses a blackberry.

edit: at least his character on TV does. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

horriblePencilist posted:

I can't wait when we get to the part where all the indie game devs stand up and yell "I hosed Zoe Quinn" like at the end of Spartacus

spartacuck

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
How much wood would a woodcuck cuck if a woodcuck could cuck wood?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

slowbeef posted:

A few probably did start like this, but your large market consists of users who are a bit tech savvy, meaning ad block. So how do you pay the bills? Wellllllllllll....

There's also the point that as people grow older, they have a lot of demands on their wallet. It's not that hard to turn down an easy $10,000 when you are 20 and all you have to care about is you. Later on when you have a family of your own, or possibly need to worry about your folks, and the dreams you had of making it rich start to fade away it becomes harder and harder to turn down that cash. Worse, because the money is probably for your family it becomes a lot easier to justify to oneself.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Simstim posted:

What I don't get is why someone hasn't set up a videogame website where its key incentive to readers is avoiding conflict of interest problems with strong ethical guidelines and transparency. There seems to be a large market for it but maybe it's not economically viable.

Honestly think this is because the majority of revenue for game news sites comes from advertising/PR deals, therefore the moment you stop being a free game review blog is pretty much moment you ironically become a conflict of interest

Iirc the whole gamespot review scandal where their frontpage was covered in Kane & Lynch mudflaps and billboards was in like 2006, and it's arguably gotten a lot worse since then

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

slowbeef posted:

A few probably did start like this, but your large market consists of users who are a bit tech savvy, meaning ad block. So how do you pay the bills? Wellllllllllll....

plus honest reviews would lead to publisher blackballing which is pretty much suicide in a market as hyperactive as games "journalism" where having a review up one day before the other guy can make or break it

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Wasn't there a guy who was fired for giving a game a bad review like... a decade ago? I remember it being a big deal.

edit: fixed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

^^^ That guy who gave a bad review to Kane and Lynch? Jeff something

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! :argh:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wasn't there a guy who was fired for giving a game a bad review like... a decade ago? I remember it being a big deal.

jeff gerstman, over kane & lynch

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Simstim posted:

What I don't get is why someone hasn't set up a videogame website where its key incentive to readers is avoiding conflict of interest problems with strong ethical guidelines and transparency. There seems to be a large market for it but maybe it's not economically viable.

One of the first places I wrote for was a crappy, click-bait, list-o-mania, ad-heavy website aimed at college kids making far too much money. They finally had a press deal with Lionsgate and were all excited to finally have that kind of credit. I was pretty stoked too as I'd finally be doing real movie reviews instead of list after list. They handed me some 50 Cent movie (not the one you're thinking of) as my first review. It was pretty darn awful, but I went a little easy on the review because it was direct-to-video and had a shoe-string budget. Gave some more creative criticism than heavy slander.

Several days after submitting the review, I asked why it wasn't scheduled for publication yet. Turns out they gave my review directly to Lionsgate PR and said the site shouldn't publish it as it would mean negative press. The website said they'd still publish my reviews if I wrote them more favorably. I said goodbye.

Now I'm writing for a few different sites where I do get press copies from Lionsgate from editors who won't bend over backwards for the distributors just because I wrote a negative review.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, it was Jeff Gerstman who later went on to make giantbomb which is probably one of the most trustworthy game sites out there.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I was just reading his wikipedia entry.

edit: were you being sarcastic when you said trustworthy? I really have no clue because I don't visit gaming sites.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

also it wasn't a bad review, he gave it a 6/10 iirc which is just meh (of course nowadays a 6/10 means that either the publisher was a cheapskate and wouldn't buy enough ads, or that the game is just so notoriously bad that others have started reporting how bad it is and now you can also call it bad and seek safety in numbers)

it was funny seeing that on a webpage positively plastered with kane & lynch ads though

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It was Jeff Gerstman who hated McGriddles and went on to bury ET in the desert.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Iirc the whole gamespot review scandal where their frontpage was covered in Kane & Lynch mudflaps and billboards was in like 2006, and it's arguably gotten a lot worse since then

Reminder that Polygon got $750,000 from Microsoft to do a documentary on how Polygon was going to change reprinting press releases games journalism.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

slowbeef posted:

To be honest I'd support an honest writer on a site without ads via Patreon. That's what a lot of Youtubers do, actually. With so many people using adblock and YouTube's ads growing really obnoxious, several people switch to Patreon for support which seems totally fine, because it's how you're actually supposed to use Patreon.

With that in mind, when is retsupurae gonna get a Patreon?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

also it wasn't a bad review, he gave it a 6/10 iirc which is just meh (of course nowadays a 6/10 means that either the publisher was a cheapskate and wouldn't buy enough ads, or that the game is just so notoriously bad that others have started reporting how bad it is and now you can also call it bad and seek safety in numbers)

it was funny seeing that on a webpage positively plastered with kane & lynch ads though

Anything below an 8.5 is utter poo poo, and a failure on every level.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The General
Mar 4, 2007

McGriddles are literally the grossest of all fast food items. I'd sooner eat a TacoBell burrito I found behind a furnace than eat a McGriddle.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I am so loving angry if I'm not getting the 100% true facts regarding whether or not the next bejeweled game is gonna continue featuring the orange gem.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

To be honest I'd support an honest writer on a site without ads via Patreon. That's what a lot of Youtubers do, actually. With so many people using adblock and YouTube's ads growing really obnoxious, several people switch to Patreon for support which seems totally fine, because it's how you're actually supposed to use Patreon.

Support my Patreon and I'll emptyquote all your posts for a month

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Reminder that Polygon got $750,000 from Microsoft to do a documentary on how Polygon was going to change reprinting press releases games journalism.

But that's Microsoft.
They thought the world would poo poo it's pants over a DRM laden game console that has ads everywhere on it and a NSA camera you had to buy with it.

Its akin to Ed Wood getting his money from southern baptists to make his poo poo films. Both sides of the deal are loving poo poo.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

"6.0, it's ok" -jeff gerstman, gamespot

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

plus honest reviews would lead to publisher blackballing which is pretty much suicide in a market as hyperactive as games "journalism" where having a review up one day before the other guy can make or break it
Is there a way around this problem? It seems like game journalism requires cooperation with the industry otherwise you're pretty much stuck reviewing the game after everyone receives their preordered copies.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
the conclusion from all this is women don't make video games because women can't be manchildren

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Why don't people use adblock? Jesus. Is this seriously what the Internet looks like without it?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Is there a way around this problem? It seems like game journalism requires cooperation with the industry otherwise you're pretty much stuck reviewing the game after everyone receives their preordered copies.

Nah

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Brown Menace posted:

"6.0, it's ok" -jeff gerstman, gamespot

Everyone should use 4/5 star system, it simplifies things.

Or maybe just a thumbs-up/thumbs-down.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

dpbjinc posted:

the conclusion from all this is women don't make video games because women can't be manchildren

I think u'll find your sexist worldview is very outdated

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I too think that goldberg is bizarre, but yummy

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Why don't people use adblock? Jesus. Is this seriously what the Internet looks like without it?

I don't use adblock because I can't be bothered. And no, most of the internet does not look like that.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Polygon has a good article every now and again, but the opinion pieces are some of the worst out there. Also their format is still stupid as gently caress on a desktop because it's designed to be readable only on an ipad. Yes, I too enjoy seeing screenshots larger than my monitor can display slapped right in the middle of this review.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You lot talking about independent game journalism and integrity forget that TotalBiscuit exists. Now imagine a dozen of TotalBiscuits setting up a news website.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

McGriddles was from 2003, and I wish Goldberg would spear these dang MRA SJW PUA OAR W12 knuckleheads.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

ArbitraryC posted:

The solution is the same one mainstream journalism came up with by getting ad revenue from several sources. The advantage of having a general news is that if one group of rich people decide to gently caress you, the others will keep you afloat making it theoretically harder to influence you. Also the people that hosed you will likely, eventually come back as bad press is still better than no press. All you have to do is make sure you just don't piss everyone off at the same time and make sure your profit margins aren't too tight.

One of the things that's really loving newspapers these days is they don't have the margins they used to so now even losing one advertiser hurts a lot.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

lmao

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Support my Patreon and I'll emptyquote all your posts for a month

Something Awful microtransactions

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Paladinus posted:

You lot talking about independent game journalism and integrity forget that TotalBiscuit exists. Now imagine a dozen of TotalBiscuits setting up a news website.

Wake me up when the Angry Joe Show and his imitators band together to pretend to be mad about video games while wearing leather jackets inside like it is a thing.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Supernorn posted:

Polygon has a good article every now and again, but the opinion pieces are some of the worst out there. Also their format is still stupid as gently caress on a desktop because it's designed to be readable only on an ipad. Yes, I too enjoy seeing screenshots larger than my monitor can display slapped right in the middle of this review.

They gave Gone Home a 10/10 and The Wonderful 101 a 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Everyone should use 4/5 star system, it simplifies things.

Or maybe just a thumbs-up/thumbs-down.

zoe already uses the 5 star system and it hasn't worked so well for her

• Locked thread