Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just bought this lot for 15€

I have no excuses now do I :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soooo good

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

pootiebigwang posted:

If humans are involved and I am shooting color, I see absolutely no reason to ever shoot anything but Portra.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

wow this guy is straight outta central casting

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So Bushwick Community Darkroom is loving terrible, CRC is too expensive. What other decent labs are there in NYC? RIP Manhattan Color y'all.

They told me they were moving a week before they closed :(

LTI is great. I think CRC was cheaper a few months ago, dunno what happened.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
the contrasty sunset turned out as well as i could hope for on astia. xpost from medium format thread.

Evening Thunderstorm, Salt Lake City by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Genderfluid posted:

the contrasty sunset turned out as well as i could hope for on astia. xpost from medium format thread.

Evening Thunderstorm, Salt Lake City by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

Astia owns and this picture owns.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
First roll through my new OM10 came back blank, and I'm not sure why (forgive incorrect part names).

The shutter fires just fine, and the timing on manual mode is definitely picking up the change in speed from the little add-on part.

The winder seemed to be winding just fine, as I had definite tension winding the roll back this morning, right up to the point I felt the leader pop and the tension go.

The meter worked and matched up to my DSLR's meter set to same ISO.

Aperture blades worked fine, and I shot most of the roll wide-open anyway.

I guess there could be a major light leak someplace in the body, but I don't see anything obvious looking at the curtain or the body.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Huxley posted:

First roll through my new OM10 came back blank, and I'm not sure why (forgive incorrect part names).

The shutter fires just fine, and the timing on manual mode is definitely picking up the change in speed from the little add-on part.

The winder seemed to be winding just fine, as I had definite tension winding the roll back this morning, right up to the point I felt the leader pop and the tension go.

The meter worked and matched up to my DSLR's meter set to same ISO.

Aperture blades worked fine, and I shot most of the roll wide-open anyway.

I guess there could be a major light leak someplace in the body, but I don't see anything obvious looking at the curtain or the body.

Like, black blank or white blank? You say light leak which makes me think the negatives came back dark, but that sounds unlikely to me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

Like, black blank or white blank? You say light leak which makes me think the negatives came back dark, but that sounds unlikely to me.

Clear blank. So not a light leak as they would be super overexposed and black (duh, me).

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Did you actually see the winder move everytime you advanced?

edit: VVV sounds right, only speaking from the experience of my own screw ups.

Bud fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Huxley posted:

Clear blank. So not a light leak as they would be super overexposed and black (duh, me).

Is the rebate (text along the edges) visible? If there's not even that (completely clear negs) then something happened in development (hosed developer).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bud posted:

Did you actually see the winder move everytime you advanced?

I felt more tension turning the winder after loading film than I did with no film in the camera, so I assumed it was pulling correctly. And the handle on the top (that I used to unwind after I finished the roll) turned when I cranked the handle.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is the rebate (text along the edges) visible? If there's not even that (completely clear negs) then something happened in development (hosed developer).

I let them trash the negative after he showed me it was blank, so I don't remember, unfortunately. I'm still learning, so that's a thing I'll be sure to check if it happens again. I'm going to go home and double check the shutter one more time, put another roll of cheap film through it and see if anything comes out this time.

I'd hate to think the lab machine hosed up the development and they implied it was my camera that was broken.

Thanks guys.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Huxley posted:

I felt more tension turning the winder after loading film than I did with no film in the camera, so I assumed it was pulling correctly. And the handle on the top (that I used to unwind after I finished the roll) turned when I cranked the handle.

I let them trash the negative after he showed me it was blank, so I don't remember, unfortunately. I'm still learning, so that's a thing I'll be sure to check if it happens again. I'm going to go home and double check the shutter one more time, put another roll of cheap film through it and see if anything comes out this time.

I'd hate to think the lab machine hosed up the development and they implied it was my camera that was broken.

Thanks guys.

What film was it? If they developed B&W film in C41 chemicals you'd end up with a completely blank roll of film :ughh:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

What film was it? If they developed B&W film in C41 chemicals you'd end up with a completely blank roll of film :ughh:

Agfa 200, so super cheap to begin with since I was just testing, but definitely C41.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Tri-x medium format:

Tri-x 35mm:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
HP5+ small format:

Toro by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

GRAPHICS by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tree by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

HP5+ small format:

I read "small format" and thought you might be using something like 16mm for a minute. I still maintain hope of some day shooting with my Minolta 16 MG:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Pham Nuwen posted:

I read "small format" and thought you might be using something like 16mm for a minute. I still maintain hope of some day shooting with my Minolta 16 MG:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201153433448?nav=SEARCH

I'm sure you could get the motion picture equivalent of Portra 400 in 16mm

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

MrBlandAverage posted:

HP5+ small format:

Toro by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

GRAPHICS by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Nice

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the help the other day. I figured out my issue. My kids yelling at me that morning caused me to pocket an unshot roll instead of a shot roll. I am the big dummy. Knowing I was testing an old camera, I grabbed the cheapest thing on the shelf that shot 36 frames, Agfa Vista 200. I always forget how soft these old kit 50s are wide open.

Sunflower by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Magnolia by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Slide by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 27, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thanks!

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone here used this particular C-41 kit before?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/660141-Rollei-C-41-Color-Kit-1-Liter

Reading the instructions the bleach step can only be used twice, however you can mix 50/50 used and unused bleach together and get another two. The kit can only make 1 Liter of bleach. If I am using it for 120 development and I use 500mL each time I develop a roll I am only going to get 6 rolls worth before I run out of bleach.

Is their any way to extend this further? since at the ~$60 price tag for the kit I would be paying $10 a roll and at that point send out is cheaper.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Have you heard about the Tetenal C-41 kit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html

They are cheaper, powder based (no int'l shipping restrictions & infinite shelf life when unmixed), and the instructions say you can process 8 rolls of 120 (20 exp) out of a single 1L batch. Though people say you can stretch that upwards of 50% or more with no noticeable degradation if you do all your processing within a few days.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Have you heard about the Tetenal C-41 kit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html

They are cheaper, powder based (no int'l shipping restrictions & infinite shelf life when unmixed), and the instructions say you can process 8 rolls of 120 (20 exp) out of a single 1L batch. Though people say you can stretch that upwards of 50% or more with no noticeable degradation if you do all your processing within a few days.

The instructions appear to be written for use in a rotary developer, will it work with a Paterson tank?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ezekiel_980 posted:

The instructions appear to be written for use in a rotary developer, will it work with a Paterson tank?

Yep, that's what I use it with. From the description: "Equally well suited for processing with hand inversion tanks and in rotary processors."

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Seems like Ferrania will finally be restarting film production in mid September. Fingers crossed!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

This is the kit I used a couple of years ago. It can indeed do 12 rolls (mixed 135 and 120 in my case) without any apparent degradation by the last roll. I used my little inversion tank, though because the lid leaks badly I tend to spin the little spindle thing in the middle and bang it on a countertop to dislodge bubbles rather than invert it.

I did all 12 rolls over a weekend because the instructions specifically talk about using it all within a short period if you're going for more than the advertised 8 rolls. I suspect I could have done more than 12 rolls.

EDIT: I bought mine from Freestyle, but it's exactly the same stuff.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Reading the instructions the bleach step can only be used twice, however you can mix 50/50 used and unused bleach together and get another two. The kit can only make 1 Liter of bleach. If I am using it for 120 development and I use 500mL each time I develop a roll I am only going to get 6 rolls worth before I run out of bleach.

Is their any way to extend this further? since at the ~$60 price tag for the kit I would be paying $10 a roll and at that point send out is cheaper.

I've used this kit and I got way more than six rolls out of it. I want to say it was over 25 rolls out of the solutions mixed between 120 and 35mm developed over roughly a six week period(16 is the recommended limit). I probably could have gotten more but the blix was starting to smell noticeably off towards the end and I didn't want to chance it. I don't remember reading anything about the blix solution only being usable twice. I guess my cost would have been roughly $1.50 a roll. This is the first and only C-41 kit I've used so I don't know if it is necessarily the best value out there but it was really stable and pretty easy to work with.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

On a scale from Impossible Project to Ilford, what is a reasonable expectation for this company's stuff?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

On a scale from Impossible Project to Ilford, what is a reasonable expectation for this company's stuff?

Probably quite good I should think, most of the staff have worked at Ferrania before and they're reusing all the old film coating machines and stuff. Whether they will have a sustainable market is another story.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

I'm guessing it'll be closer to Adox if they do black and white, and probably like Agfa if they're doing slide film (which apparently they are). I'd be fairly confident it's going to be decent quality stuff.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

If the shipping isn't too bad, maybe get this instead:
http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-colour-chemistry-rollei-digibase-midi-literbrfor-films-40027brfor-films-10021-p-2340.html

I've gotten great results from the Digibase kits.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201153433448?nav=SEARCH

I'm sure you could get the motion picture equivalent of Portra 400 in 16mm

Wouldn't the sprocket hole(s) be the wrong way?

Vision3 is the Portra motion picture equivalent and it's the sexiest film ever made.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

BANME.sh posted:

I did this for a while but felt it was a hassle. Probably because i didn't have development times for 68°f chems. And the chemicals ain't that great for you, all my tanks leak a little bit and I've just about run out of gloves. And the short shelf life of the stuff I wasn't too keen on. I am tempted to see what results I could get out of the really exhausted chems right now. Bought that back in march and only did a couple rolls.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think about the longevity of film, 10 or even 20 years from now? People probably asked this question in the mid 2000s when digital cameras started to really pick up, but here we are 10 years later and sensors are getting crazy good, and we're beginning to approach the medium format level "equivalent" of megapixels in consumer digital cameras. Meanwhile the film manufacturers continue to strip down their varieties of film stock. There is still some catching up that digital has to do but I can't imagine it taking more than a decade at the current rate.

I know some pros still exclusively use film, and more and more hobbyists are taking to film for it's aesthetic value, but how much time is left, really? I know this is impossible to answer but I feel like total film abandonment is inevitable in less than 20 years.

I suppose a similar comparison would be that of vinyl records and digital audio. Even though digital audio quality has objectively surpassed vinyl in every way imaginable, people still buy vinyl records (2013 saw the most vinyl sold in decades).

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 29, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

What do you guys think about the longevity of film, 10 or even 20 years from now? People probably asked this question in the mid 2000s when digital cameras started to really pick up, but here we are 10 years later and sensors are getting crazy good, and we're beginning to approach the medium format level "equivalent" of megapixels in consumer digital cameras. Meanwhile the film manufacturers continue to strip down their varieties of film stock. There is still some catching up that digital has to do but I can't imagine it taking more than a decade at the current rate.

I know some pros still exclusively use film, and more and more hobbyists are taking to film for it's aesthetic value, but how much time is left, really? I know this is impossible to answer but I feel like total film abandonment is inevitable in less than 20 years.

I suppose a similar comparison would be that of vinyl records and digital audio. Even though digital audio quality has objectively surpassed vinyl in every way imaginable, people still buy vinyl records (2013 saw the most vinyl sold in decades).

I think color film will be gone in 20 years, but black & white will be around in some form basically forever because it's so much easier to manufacture.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I doubt colour film will be gone completely. The big names like Kodak and Fuji might stop making it but there's going to be a hobby market for a long time and I expect enthusiast run companies will continue to produce it in smaller amounts.

If Lomography and The Impossible Project are typical examples then you might have mixed feelings about this outcome though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I imagine that if a company like Ilford can exist in 2014, it can probably continue to exist in 2024. I'll probably have to switch from Tri-X to HP5 at some point but worse things have happened. As far as colour is concerned, I hope it lasts but who knows.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

You can always doomsday prep for the end of film like I have, and get a copy of Ron Mowrey's book on making tons of different emulsions (both film and paper).

But I think companies like Ilford, Foma and Adox will be around for the long-hall, as long as they have good retailers like Freestyle and Macodirect selling their stuff.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So is this a bad scan or did the lab do a lovely job? I converted to BW and turned the highlights way down on the curve, the markings are more visible that way. The colours look very distorted when seen with a normal tone curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Like Ilford specialising in only b&w film, you might see other film manufacturers that only specialise in colour negatives or slides, like Ferrania which is starting up again and only offering slide film for the moment. So there just might be a bit more longevity for colour film, but like the others have said, I'm pretty sure b&w film will be around for a long long time.