Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The Valentich radio logs are rather creepy, but the Wiki entry also notes that "at no time was the aircraft plotted on radar" and that "Melbourne Police received reports of a light aircraft making a mysterious landing not far from Cape Otway at the same time as Valentich's disappearance."

Gotta go with "he faked his disappearance" on that one.

This poor guy, however, died chasing a UFO.

quote:

Four P-51 Mustangs of C Flight, 165th Fighter Squadron Kentucky Air National Guard already in the air—one piloted by Mantell—were told to approach the object. Blackwell was in radio communication with the pilots throughout the event.

One pilot's Mustang was low on fuel, and he quickly abandoned his efforts. Air Force Captain Edward J. Ruppelt (the first head of Project Blue Book) notes that there was some disagreement amongst the air traffic controllers as to Mantell's words as he communicated with the tower: some sources reported that Mantell had described an object "[which] looks metallic and of tremendous size," but according to Ruppelt, others disputed whether or not Mantell actually said this.

The other two pilots accompanied Mantell in steep pursuit of the object. They later reported they saw an object, but described it as so small and indistinct that they could not identify it. Mantell ignored suggestions that the pilots should level their altitude and try to more clearly see the object.

Only one of Mantell's companions, Lt. Albert Clemmons, had an oxygen mask, and his oxygen was in low supply. Clemmons and a Lt. Hammond called off their pursuit at 22,500 feet (6,900 m). Mantell continued to climb, however. According to the Air Force, once Mantell passed 25,000 feet (7,600 m) he blacked out from the lack of oxygen (hypoxia), and his plane began spiraling back towards the ground. A witness later reported Mantell's Mustang in a circling descent. His plane crashed on a farm south of Franklin, Kentucky, on the Kentucky-Tennessee state line.

And it was probably just a weather balloon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
If I'm correctly recalling articles I've read about Valentich, the guy was a known UFO enthusiast. Seems strangely coincidental that a UFO enthusiast should end up in an encounter with a UFO. With that tidbit as well as the lack of radar signs and the mysterious small plane seen landing not too far away, I'm also inclined to go with "he faked his own disappearance". He did it in a pretty creepy and spectacular way, though!

Here's another guy who vanished (and presumably died) chasing a UFO: Felix Moncla disappeared while pursuing a UFO over Lake Superior in 1953.

quote:

On the evening of November 23, 1953, Air Defense Command Ground Intercept radar operators at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan identified an unusual target near the Soo Locks. An F-89C Scorpion jet from Kinross Air Force Base was scrambled to investigate the radar return; the Scorpion was piloted by First Lieutenant Moncla with Second Lieutenant Robert L. Wilson acting as the Scorpion's radar operator.

Wilson had problems tracking the object on the Scorpion's radar, so ground radar operators gave Moncla directions towards the object as he flew. Flying at some 500 miles per hour, Moncla eventually closed in on the object at about 8000 feet in altitude.

Ground Control tracked the Scorpion and the unidentified object as two "blips" on the radar screen. The two blips on the radar screen grew closer and closer, until they seemed to merge as one (return). Assuming that Moncla had flown either under or over the target, Ground Control thought that moments later, the Scorpion and the object would again appear as two separate blips. Donald Keyhoe reported that there was a fear that the two objects had struck one another "as if in a smashing collision."

Rather, the single blip disappeared from the radar screen, then there was no return at all.

Attempts were made to contact Moncla via radio, but this was unsuccessful. A search and rescue operation was quickly mounted, but failed to find a trace of the plane or the pilots.

Odds are high that the unknown blip came from an off course Canadian aircraft and Moncla either crashed into it or became disoriented and crashed by himself, but still, it's a weird story.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
One I only saw the other day, thanks to reddit (I know, I know) is the tale of Blanche Monnier(warning; top photo might be disturbing).

Basically the Parisian Attorney General was tipped off that a girl was being held captive at an address, an address belonging to a rather prestigious family, widow & son, with a daughter who had disappeared 25 years prior. Police attended the home and

quote:

“We immediately gave the order to open the casement window. This was done with great difficulty, for the old dark-colored curtains fell down in a heavy shower of dust. To open the shutters, it was necessary to remove them from their right hinges. As soon as light entered the room, we noticed, in the back, lying on a bed, her head and body covered by a repulsively filthy blanket, a woman identified as Mademoiselle Blanche Monnier. The unfortunate woman was lying completely naked on a rotten straw mattress. All around her was formed a sort of crust made from excrement, fragments of meat, vegetables, fish, and rotten bread. We also saw oyster shells and bugs running across Mademoiselle Monnier’s bed. The air was so unbreathable, the odor given off by the room was so rank, that it was impossible for us to stay any longer to proceed with our investigation.”
The resulting investigation eventually found that her mother and brother had locked her in the upstairs room aged 25 after she refused to give up a relationship and remained there for around 25 years until 1901, one of the more tragic parts of this is the man she refused to leave apparently died in 1885 yet she remained locked up for 16 years. I guess the part that unnerved me most is that this wasn't some depraved pervert like Fritzl or Castro but an upper class family essentially taking 'I forbid you to see that boy' to its extreme.
(Source url might be off-putting in terms of credibility but there are contemporary news articles (example))

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jalopybrown posted:

One I only saw the other day, thanks to reddit (I know, I know) is the tale of Blanche Monnier(warning; top photo might be disturbing).

Basically the Parisian Attorney General was tipped off that a girl was being held captive at an address, an address belonging to a rather prestigious family, widow & son, with a daughter who had disappeared 25 years prior. Police attended the home and

The resulting investigation eventually found that her mother and brother had locked her in the upstairs room aged 25 after she refused to give up a relationship and remained there for around 25 years until 1901, one of the more tragic parts of this is the man she refused to leave apparently died in 1885 yet she remained locked up for 16 years. I guess the part that unnerved me most is that this wasn't some depraved pervert like Fritzl or Castro but an upper class family essentially taking 'I forbid you to see that boy' to its extreme.
(Source url might be off-putting in terms of credibility but there are contemporary news articles (example))

Dear god, that photo.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, "disturbing" is a pretty accurate descriptor for that photo. Almost looks like something you'd find as an illustration in a book of scary stories and not an actual document of a human being at a moment in time.

And the description of the room itself doesn't help matters.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, "disturbing" is a pretty accurate descriptor for that photo. Almost looks like something you'd find as an illustration in a book of scary stories and not an actual document of a human being at a moment in time.

And the description of the room itself doesn't help matters.

Well, maybe she should have stopped dating that lawyer, did you ever think of that?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Inevitable posted:

Well, maybe she should have stopped dating that lawyer, did you ever think of that?

The plan was a stunning success, you must admit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like how the lawyer died a while in and the family was just like, "Eh, whatever, we've been at it this long, might as well keep going."

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

AnonSpore posted:

I like how the lawyer died a while in and the family was just like, "Eh, whatever, we've been at it this long, might as well keep going."

"Honestly, after a while, we just forgot what the original argument was even about, hahahaha :D"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Phantom Airships

quote:

The Sacramento Bee and the San Francisco Call reported the first sighting on November 18, 1896. Witnesses reported a light moving slowly over Sacramento on the evening of November 17 at an estimated 1,000 foot elevation. Some witnesses said they could see a dark shape behind the light. A witness named R. L. Lowery reported that he heard a voice from the craft issuing commands to increase elevation in order to avoid hitting a church steeple. Lowery added "in what was no doubt meant as a wink to the reader" that he believed the apparent captain to be referring to the tower of a local brewery, as there were no churches nearby. Lowery further described the craft as being powered by two men exerting themselves on bicycle pedals.

quote:

On April 10, 1897 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a story reporting that one W. H. Hopkins encountered a grounded airship about 20 feet in length and 8 feet in diameter near the outskirts of Springfield, Missouri. The vehicle was apparently propelled by 3 large propellers and crewed by a beautiful nude woman and a bearded man, also nude.

quote:

An account from Aurora, Texas related in the Dallas Morning News on April 19, 1897, reported that a couple of days before, an airship had smashed into a windmill – later determined to be a sump pump – belonging to a Judge Proctor, then crashed. The occupant was dead and mangled, but the story reported that presumed pilot was clearly "not an inhabitant of this world." Strange "hieroglyphic" figures were seen on the wreckage, which resembled "a mixture of aluminum and silver ... it must have weighed several tons."" In the 20th Century, unusual metallic material recovered from the presumed crash site was shown to contain a percentage of aluminum and iron admixed. The story ended by noting that the pilot was given a "Christian burial" in the town cemetery. In 1973, MUFON investigators discovered the alleged stone marker used in this burial. Their metal detectors indicated a quantity of foreign material might remain buried there. However, they were not permitted to exhume, and when they returned several years later, the headstone – and whatever metallic material had lain beneath it – was gone.

Peruse the article for excitement, Spaniards, and a Gentleman almost coming to fisticuffs with Martians.

Of course, this makes me think of my favorite 19th century fortean mystery,

Spring-heeled Jack

quote:

Spring-heeled Jack was described by people who claimed to have seen him as having a terrifying and frightful appearance, with diabolical physiognomy, clawed hands, and eyes that "resembled red balls of fire". One report claimed that, beneath a black cloak, he wore a helmet and a tight-fitting white garment like an oilskin. Many stories also mention a "Devil-like" aspect. Others said he was tall and thin, with the appearance of a gentleman. Several reports mention that he could breathe out blue and white flames and that he wore sharp metallic claws at his fingertips. At least two people claimed that he was able to speak comprehensible English.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Just saying, if the main protagonist for the inevitable Assassin's Creed game that takes place in 19th century London is not Spring Heeled Jack then somebody is loving up pretty hard at Ubisoft.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My favorite thing about the ye-olde paranormal sightings is that they're usually somehow limited to the known technology of the time. It's all bright lights and rapid movement* and two beings pedaling a wooden contraption.

* rapid being a few miles per hour or something. There was once a time when people actually believed if a man moved faster than a horse his skin would come off.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Bridget Driscoll died in one of the first pedestrian/automobile accidents in 1896. The car was going about four miles per hour.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Helena Handbasket posted:

Bridget Driscoll died in one of the first pedestrian/automobile accidents in 1896. The car was going about four miles per hour.

Christ, that really IS unnerving. The best part is the car was just a demonstration vehicle, showing off new fangled technology. Ended up demonstrating BLOOD ON THE STREETS! :black101:

... 4 mph. Killed by something going as fast as a brisk jog. :smith:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Compare with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

Of course that's a large flat surface, and those old 1890s cars were all open wheels and sharp angles.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The original New York Times article about the first pedestrian killed by an automobile in the United States:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9C05E0DC173DE433A25757C1A96F9C94689ED7CF

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
At least he got a memorial out of it.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I don't think I've seen this mentioned here, but from 1894 to 1999 the leprosarium in Carville, Louisiana was the home for every mainland American who was diagnosed with leprosy. (There was a similar colony in Hawai'i but that was more specifically established for an outbreak in the islands.)

Leprosy in Louisiana

Basically if you had leprosy, the law stated that you had to be transported to this facility, you lost your right to vote, were encouraged to take on a new identity, and were probably stuck there for the rest of your life. All of your mail had to be baked in an oven. The facility was not cruel and in fact did a lot to help people, but it was a really weird response to a disease that's not particularly contagious but has a lot of social stigma going back for millennia. You could, for instance, get a pass to leave the facility but could not use public transit.

It's weird to imagine that, as of 15 years ago, you could still be forced into something like the Witness Protection Program for catching a rare disease.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Old timey UFOs were so much cooler than the tiresome little green men or grey men bullshit we have today.

Some UFO sightings have some pretty creepy stories behind them. The Flatwoods monster is a particularly good one that most people might not know about. Unlike most alien sightings, the thing wasn't humanoid at all. The bit about it releasing some sort of toxic gas was pretty freaky.

Of course, it wasn't an alien because that's nuts. That doesn't stop the locals from having a three-day festival for it every year, though.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Old timey UFOs were so much cooler than the tiresome little green men or grey men bullshit we have today.

Some UFO sightings have some pretty creepy stories behind them. The Flatwoods monster is a particularly good one that most people might not know about. Unlike most alien sightings, the thing wasn't humanoid at all. The bit about it releasing some sort of toxic gas was pretty freaky.

Of course, it wasn't an alien because that's nuts. That doesn't stop the locals from having a three-day festival for it every year, though.

That's always a great UFO story and some of the pics you pull up googling it make me think of the Mothman sightings everyone knows about. One incident everyone probably doesn't know about, but your post and the bit about the toxic gas reminded me of,

Cash-Landrum Incident

quote:

A few minutes later on the winding roads, the witnesses saw what they believed to be the same light as before, but it was now much closer and very bright. The light, they claimed, came from a huge diamond-shaped object, which hovered at about treetop level. The object's base was expelling flame and emitting significant heat.

Vickie Landrum told Cash to stop the car, fearing they would be burned if they approached any closer. However, Vickie's opinion of the object quickly changed: a born again Christian, she interpreted the object as a sign of the second coming of Jesus Christ, telling her grandson, "That's Jesus. He will not hurt us."

quote:

Over the next few days, Cash's symptoms worsened, with many large, painful blisters forming on her skin. When taken to a hospital emergency room on January 3, 1981, Clark writes, Cash "could not walk, and had lost large patches of skin and clumps of hair. She was released after 12 days, though her condition was not much better, and she later returned to the hospital for another 15 days."

And speaking of little green men, one of my favorite stories,

Green Children of Woolpit

quote:

One day at harvest time, according to William of Newburgh during the reign of King Stephen (1135–1154), the villagers of Woolpit discovered two children, a brother and sister, beside one of the wolf pits that gave the village its name. Their skin was green, they spoke an unknown language, and their clothing was unfamiliar. Ralph reports that the children were taken to the home of Richard de Calne. Ralph and William agree that the pair refused all food for several days until they came across some raw beans, which they consumed eagerly. The children gradually adapted to normal food and in time lost their green colour. The boy, who appeared to be the younger of the two, became sickly and died shortly after he and his sister were baptised.

After learning to speak English, the children – Ralph says just the surviving girl – explained that they came from a land where the sun never shone and the light was like twilight. William says the children called their home St Martin's Land; Ralph adds that everything there was green. According to William, the children were unable to account for their arrival in Woolpit; they had been herding their father's cattle when they heard a loud noise (according to William, the bells of Bury St Edmunds) and suddenly found themselves by the wolf pit where they were found. Ralph says that they had become lost when they followed the cattle into a cave and, after being guided by the sound of bells, eventually emerged into our land.

DryGoods has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Aug 26, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

benito posted:

I don't think I've seen this mentioned here, but from 1894 to 1999 the leprosarium in Carville, Louisiana was the home for every mainland American who was diagnosed with leprosy. (There was a similar colony in Hawai'i but that was more specifically established for an outbreak in the islands.)

Leprosy in Louisiana

Basically if you had leprosy, the law stated that you had to be transported to this facility, you lost your right to vote, were encouraged to take on a new identity, and were probably stuck there for the rest of your life. All of your mail had to be baked in an oven. The facility was not cruel and in fact did a lot to help people, but it was a really weird response to a disease that's not particularly contagious but has a lot of social stigma going back for millennia. You could, for instance, get a pass to leave the facility but could not use public transit.

It's weird to imagine that, as of 15 years ago, you could still be forced into something like the Witness Protection Program for catching a rare disease.

It makes more sense in historical context---it was known to be communicable, but not how (although, I think it was believed to be way more contagious then it actually is). And even once the cause was discovered, it wasn't really treatable until we had penicillin. So, yeah, lepers got segregated because people were scared of getting horribly disfigured too. There were a lot of social causes for this as well, with lepers being a target of general fear and worse. But in the end, I can't really blame people for being terrified of getting a horribly-disfiguring and incurable disease. A lot of people lived in the colonies willingly too, due to the lack of stigma about their disease and disfigurement.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Slanderer posted:

It makes more sense in historical context---it was known to be communicable, but not how (although, I think it was believed to be way more contagious then it actually is). And even once the cause was discovered, it wasn't really treatable until we had penicillin. So, yeah, lepers got segregated because people were scared of getting horribly disfigured too. There were a lot of social causes for this as well, with lepers being a target of general fear and worse. But in the end, I can't really blame people for being terrified of getting a horribly-disfiguring and incurable disease. A lot of people lived in the colonies willingly too, due to the lack of stigma about their disease and disfigurement.

Depends on what you mean by historical. 1894, yes, 1999, no. Also, the whole thing about changing your identity and not being allowed to vote? Is that even Constitutional?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

benito posted:

Depends on what you mean by historical. 1894, yes, 1999, no. Also, the whole thing about changing your identity and not being allowed to vote? Is that even Constitutional?

Apparently it was made legal by the Senate in 1917. Curtailing voting rights used to be more common, and those were restored in 1946 or 1947. The last compulsory admission was in like 1960. You can read up on it if you like, it's just extremely dull:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-698X/5/3

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Slanderer posted:

Apparently it was made legal by the Senate in 1917. Curtailing voting rights used to be more common, and those were restored in 1946 or 1947. The last compulsory admission was in like 1960. You can read up on it if you like, it's just extremely dull:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-698X/5/3

Kudos for excellent fact checking! I've heard a lot of conflicting accounts of this facility over the years. Still kinda creepy in parts...

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

bladedsmoke posted:

I just finished reading a book about this, so I thought I'd look up the relevant Wikipedia pages: The wreck of the Batavia, in 1628, and the subsequent reign of terror on a tiny group of desert islands just off western Australia that left 110 men, women and children dead - and not because of starvation or thirst, but almost all murdered on the orders of one of the castaways, Jeronimus Cornelisz.

Jeronimus had an uncanny command of the mutineers, who did all of the murders at his bidding. He himself seemed more comfortable issuing orders to murder, than committing them himself, and in many ways was a fairly pathetic figure - the wiki lists his only personal act of violence as when he "tried and failed to poison a baby."

It all culminated when a Dutch ship, coming to rescue the survivors, came across a pitched battle between two groups of castaways - the "Defenders" and the mutineers. The Defenders, led by the common soldier Wiebbe Hayes, were a small group of soldiers who Jeronimus had suspected he'd be unable to convince to mutiny, so he tricked them into looking for water on a nearby island before leaving them stranded without boats. Ironically, Jeronimus had thought he was leaving the Defenders to die, but their island actually turned out to have a water source while Jeronimus's did not.

Fishermen are still discovering skeletal remains of the massacre on the islands today. Something good did come out of it, though:

I'm bingeing through this thread, but I wanted to bring this earlier post, because I think a lot of people glossed over it. Here's a link that gives a little more detail on the incident. It's a horrifying account of what happens when a sociopath finds himself in an environment where he can manipulate and exploit literally everyone. Never before have I been happy to hear about someone getting his hands cut off before being executed, but I feel assured that this motherfucker had it coming.

I also had a look at the Wiki article on Lucretia Jans, the socialite that Cornelisz anonymously ordered to be gangraped and then later made into his personal sex slave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucretia_Jans

quote:

When the rescue team arrived from Batavia, Cornelisz was executed at the scene of the crime, and the rest were put on trial in Batavia. During the trial, it was alleged that Jans was guilty of "provocation, encouraging evil acts and murdering the survivors ... some of whom lost their lives owing to her backhandedness". Jans was put on trial and denied the charges. The court applied for permission to torture her, but it is unknown whether such permission were granted; she seems to have been acquitted of the charges. She returned to the Netherlands in 1635.

In 1647, the mutiny was described in the publication Ongeluckige voyagie van ’t schip Batavia, based on the trial. This led to a law change - that made reference to the case - which limited female passengers on ships, on the grounds that their presence led to disturbances.

Yeah, it was evidently all the women's fault. :negative:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Literally Kermit posted:

Christ, that really IS unnerving. The best part is the car was just a demonstration vehicle, showing off new fangled technology. Ended up demonstrating BLOOD ON THE STREETS! :black101:

... 4 mph. Killed by something going as fast as a brisk jog. :smith:

This is going to sound dumb but maybe she thought the car would jump over her or something? Kind of like how horses avoid trampling people on the ground?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of maritime disasters, the MS Estonia was one of the worst ones of the 20th century. In September of 1994, 852 people died when it sank due to the bow doors being ripped off in rough seas so the ship effectively opened its mouth and gulped a fuckload of water into the car deck.

That whole bit at the front got sheared off and the ramp to the car deck dropped down afterwards. Seeing as how the ship was still in motion during all this you can get an idea how much water she took on in a matter of seconds. The whole ship then tilted hard to starboard (which wasn't helped much by poor cargo distribution to begin with) before sinking.

A whole lot of :tinfoil: surrounds the sinking with people claiming that it was deliberate sabotage with explosive bolts and what have you because the ship was (wasn't) carrying military cargo or some such. The gravesite is also often visited by divers and looters and some people want the whole place to be sealed in concrete and others want the whole thing to be scoured for more evidence and the remains of victims to be brought back for proper burials.

This survivor's account from the Estonia freaked me the gently caress out.

quote:

Why is it that accidents still happen, despite all of the modern equipment?

I'll tell you why. Because of the human factor. Humans react very different from what they are supposed to in the event of a disaster.

60% of the people become totally inactive. They don't do anything, and even if you tell them what to do, they still don't.

Another 10-12% panic, totally panic. They do stupid things; scream, cry, and are not able to save themselves.

The next group of people are the ones, that don't do anything themselves, but expect to be instructed of what to do. If you tell them, they will do anything you say, but if nobody tells them anything, they will most likely perish.

The next group are the ones that only think of themselves. They are dangerous, because they will do nothing other than save themselves; they even leave families and loved ones behind.

The final group of people are the opposite. They will do anything to save as many as possible, and often with great risk of their own lives.

Yeah. During a crisis, a huge percentage of people loving freeze up and allow death to take them. This link goes into more detail about that phenomenon:

quote:

The large number of people and their various reaction patterns also created an obstacle to the evacuation. During the evacuation, people had, because of the increasing list, increasing difficulties to move. A number of people fell or slid, thereby creating obstacles for others. Others were standing but not moving, thereby preventing others from passing them. Many were seen just holding on without moving; yet others appeared paralysed and seemingly unable to understand what was happening. From the very start of the list many were reported to be passive and stiff, despite reasonable possibilities for escaping.

A few of those who survived behaved in an irrational way, but most did not. A number of people reacted incredulously to the very early signs. They slowly realised that the sounds they heard were abnormal, or rather, they failed to persuade themselves that the situation was still normal. When they became clear about the situation, they acted promptly and with a clear goal: to get out to deck 7. They were the first to evacuate.

A majority of those rescued, however, seem to have grasped the seriousness of the situation when the blows and the list came. They also promptly understood what to do and thus reacted clearly and appropriately Not without fear they yet managed to remain rational and to move effectively

Many elderly people were seen making no or only faint efforts to escape. A great number of people were panicking, i. e. behaving without control, and screaming. Some of these were moving but not in a rational or purposeful way Others were apathetic and some only held on to something without making further efforts to save themselves.

A number of people were shocked and seemingly unable to understand what was going on or what to do. Some of these seem to have been incapable of rational thought or behaviour because of their fear, and screamed or moaned helplessly; others appeared petrified and could not be forced to move. Some panicking, apathetic and shocked people were beyond reach and did not react when other passengers tried to guide them, not even when they used force or shouted at them. Other people tried to escape but lacked the strength to continue climbing, be- came exhausted and held onto handrails, blocking the way for others.

Many of the survivors forced their way whereas others seem to have ceased struggling at some stage, as if giving them- selves up for lost. Some have stated that they also, at some time, felt a strong urge to give up although they still possessed some strength. This strong feeling came over them when they suddenly felt their situation was hopeless. Overwhelmed, they lost all mental and physical strength and became passive. They regained their strength and willpower after coming to think of their loved ones, especially of children. Then they immediately decided to continue their struggle with great force and try to live on, as if needing an outside reason for staying alive.

The passage also says that if a message had been sent over the PA system ordering passengers to evacuate, then it's likely way more people would have overcome their confusion and passivity and escaped.

It says that many survivors managed to find the fortitude to get out by thinking of their loved ones. I wonder if just being aware of this phenomenon increases the likelihood that you recognize it while it's going on and make tracks while you still can. In that case, I may have just saved your life. You're welcome.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wildeyes posted:

Yeah. During a crisis, a huge percentage of people loving freeze up and allow death to take them. This link goes into more detail about that phenomenon:

I've seen that in my own life. Some crazy bum broke into my house once while my roommate and I were home, he held my roommate a knifepoint and demanded cash from the both of us. I gave him what we had on us, and then he told me to get into the closet while he took my roommate to go look for more stuff to steal. She wouldn't move, she was completely paralyzed with fear and didn't even look like she was hearing a word that was being said. She didn't speak or move (other than to sit in a chair) until the cops got there later on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've seen that in my own life. Some crazy bum broke into my house once while my roommate and I were home, he held my roommate a knifepoint and demanded cash from the both of us. I gave him what we had on us, and then he told me to get into the closet while he took my roommate to go look for more stuff to steal. She wouldn't move, she was completely paralyzed with fear and didn't even look like she was hearing a word that was being said. She didn't speak or move (other than to sit in a chair) until the cops got there later on.

Holy poo poo. Something similar happened to my roommates and I, but we were three in shape guys so we just kicked the poo poo out of the burglar. The dude didn't do anything to her right? Cause asking one person to go into seclusion while they force a woman into another room sets off all my rape alarms.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Something vaguely similar happened to me once. After a really bad car accident, where I was more or less completely unhurt, apparently I just sat in the front passenger seat for the twenty minutes it took the ambulance to get there, and didn't react or respond at all until the ambulance guy got the crunched-in door open. I could've easily crawled out the driver's side door, or gone over the back seat, but I was just 100% nonresponsive until the moment they opened the door on my side.

It apparently really freaked my friend who had been driving out, because it was like I was in a waking coma.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DryGoods posted:

Phantom Airships

Peruse the article for excitement, Spaniards, and a Gentleman almost coming to fisticuffs with Martians.

There was a big rush of phantom airship sightings in Britain during the run-up to the First World War. At one point there were so many reports of (presumed hostile) mystery airships being reported that the owner of the Daily Mail wrote a lengthy editorial telling people to get a grip. Yes, the scare was so bad that the Daily Mail was the voice of reason.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zeroisanumber posted:

It sort of happened to me, I was with a friend and his girlfriend in the subway late at night, some guy half-assedly try to mug us, he asks us if we've got any valuables, my friend says no, but I just stayed still as if nothing was happening.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Speaking of boating disasters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Eastland

A bunch of Western Electric employees board a boat in Chicago on the way to a company-sponsored picnic with their families.

quote:

In 1915, the new federal Seamen's Act had been passed because of the RMS Titanic disaster. This required retrofitting of a complete set of lifeboats on the Eastland as on many other passenger vessels. This additional weight, ironically, probably made the Eastland more dangerous and it worsened the already severe problem of being top-heavy.

And then...

quote:

On the fateful morning, passengers began boarding the Eastland on the south bank of the Chicago River between Clark and LaSalle Streets around 6:30, and by 7:10 a.m., the ship had reached its capacity of 2,572 passengers. The ship was packed, with many passengers standing on the open upper decks, and began to list slightly to the port side (away from the wharf). The crew attempted to stabilize the ship by admitting water to its ballast tanks, but to little avail. Sometime in the next 15 minutes, a number of passengers rushed to the port side, and at 7:28, the Eastland lurched sharply to port and then rolled completely onto its side, coming to rest on the river bottom, which was only 20 feet below the surface. Many other passengers had already moved below decks on this relatively cool and damp morning to warm up before the departure. Consequently, hundreds were trapped inside by the water and the sudden rollover; others were crushed by heavy furniture, including pianos, bookcases, and tables. Although the ship was only 20 feet from the wharf, and in spite of the quick response by the crew of a nearby vessel, the Kenosha, which came alongside the hull to allow those stranded on the capsized vessel to leap to safety, a total of 844 passengers and four crew members died in the disaster.

Just crazy that so many people could die so close to shore...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Holy poo poo. Something similar happened to my roommates and I, but we were three in shape guys so we just kicked the poo poo out of the burglar. The dude didn't do anything to her right? Cause asking one person to go into seclusion while they force a woman into another room sets off all my rape alarms.

He told me to get in the closet and I told him to go gently caress himself. He was sort of high, so he just stood there looking confused and vaguely waving the knife at me. I lost it at that point and walked into the kitchen, grabbed a butcher's knife, and came back and stabbed him in the shoulder. It wasn't a real deep stab, but it freaked him out and he ran away. Total haul: $70 and one of my steak knives. The cops never did catch him.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Wildeyes posted:

I'm bingeing through this thread, but I wanted to bring this earlier post, because I think a lot of people glossed over it. Here's a link that gives a little more detail on the incident. It's a horrifying account of what happens when a sociopath finds himself in an environment where he can manipulate and exploit literally everyone. Never before have I been happy to hear about someone getting his hands cut off before being executed, but I feel assured that this motherfucker had it coming.

As an additional note, I looked up the punishment given out on the trip home which is briefly mentioned...being dropped from the yard arm.

quote:

Continuing with the concept of suitable punishments while at sea, if you weren’t keelhauled you could be dropped from the yard. Masts and the accompanying yardarms were common on all ships (of course) and they provided a venue for a simple and very damaging treatment. The victim’s arms were tied behind his back, lead weights were attached to his ankles. A long rope was tied to the wrists (which were behind the back, remember). The man was then thrown off a yardarm, falling fifty feet or so toward the sea. The fall was ended when he reached the end of the rope. Needless to say, the result was usually dislocated shoulders and quite often broken wrists and ankles. As with keelhauling, this punishment was delivered in threes, so the shattered victim was pulled back up on the yardarm and dropped again. And again.

Several of Cornelisz’s accomplices convicted of lesser crimes were sentenced to this punishment. As usual, having survived being dropped, they were then flogged, as well.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

benito posted:

Leprosy chat.
:words:
I've heard a lot of conflicting accounts of this facility over the years. Still kinda creepy in parts...

It sure is creepy. And the worst thing is that SA mods also believe in stigmatising the unfortunate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php
:ssh:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Wildeyes posted:

Yeah. During a crisis, a huge percentage of people loving freeze up and allow death to take them. This link goes into more detail about that phenomenon

The problem is that everyone just assumes that they'd never do something so stupid, but unless you actually train hard it its just normal human response that everyone will do unless they have specific training otherwise.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Wildeyes posted:

MS Estonia :words:

You would be even more :cry: if you saw the raw footage of a dive to the wreck that was posted on Youtube. Found-footage horror flicks don't come close. I stopped watching when the camera panned to the water rippling the hair of a corpse. :barf:

(No, I don't know if the film is still there. I don't have the heart to look.)

There is treaty to prevent diving now. There may have been underhand business in the sinking but the ban on diving is mainly because a lot of the bodies are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dear god, that photo.

Fuckin' A, you weren't kidding.