Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

also appearing on their show multiple times and being all friendly with them and obviously having some sort of relationship outside of the boundaries of professionalism

woah, they TALKED TO THE CREATORS?? holy poo poo their reviewer virginity is loving GONE!!!

pretty sure jeff gerstmann had a good rant about this, because idiot children dont realize that of-loving-course reviewers talk to PR people, and then go on to trash their games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Brown Menace posted:

this is idiotic because gone home was released more than 2 years after dragon age 2, and more than a year after mass effect 3, both massive AAA titles published by a multi-billion dollar company which included much more overt LGBT themes

You can't be that stupid. In ME and DA all romantic relationships are pure fan service with no depth. And in those fantasy/sci-fi universes being gay changes loving nothing. Neither does being a woman, or black, or whatever. I don't say it's bad because misogyny, homophobia or whatever, but in those games it's not the focal point and it's not what those games are about (although romancing is loving shameful in Bioware games and I'd rather they got rid of it). You might as well have mentioned some hentai games where a guy turns into a girl and sexes everyone around. Gone Home explores LGBT issues and that's why one can see how it might be considered remarkable. You don't have to be an SJW to understand it.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Right now, as a slight derail, and I know that I can't explain this in any good way, but I'm sort of thinking a lot of some of this is coming from the 'games are art' audience of the industry.

Games can be 'artistic' but they aren't 'art', most vocally seemed to come from the outsiders to the industry. I think that created a push from people to be intentionally contradictory to prove games ARE art by creating a bunch of artsy games, and I think that it maybe even leads to the audience who wants to prove that to upvote things to cite them as evidence that "This IS art!"

this is precisely the case in more or less all publications save for polygon, where it also played a role, along with the staff personally knowing and being friends with the developer

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

lol that 47 second speedrun of gone home is the Depression Quest Remix

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

Kinda have a feeling they're going to avoid it...

At the moment they're still talking about what games they've been playing, haven't reached the "news" part yet.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

this is precisely the case in more or less all publications save for polygon, where it also played a role, along with the staff personally knowing and being friends with the developer

lol you probably didnt even realize that the people who write polygon reviews don't even assign the score. the editors decide that after reading the review

ya dip

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

horriblePencilist posted:

Game Journalism

that actually rules though because it was his response to being told he had to write a more factual/accurate review after his previous review of a sims dlc pack:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I assumed the interactive art instillation was free but it seems to cost actual money, how long can you draw it out if you didn't do the speedrunning?

edit; gone home

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

jalopybrown posted:

I assumed the interactive art instillation was free but it seems to cost actual money, how long can you draw it out if you didn't do the speedrunning?

four minutes twenty seconds :cool:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

jalopybrown posted:

A couple of hours. But if you know the big 'twist' it's pretty dull. The subplot about your parents is completely underdeveloped and leads to no conclusion, so it's just a matter of how would a story of a lesbian sister resonate with you.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 26, 2014

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Suben posted:

that actually rules though because it was his response to being told he had to write a more factual/accurate review after his previous review of a sims dlc pack:

I like this "journalist"

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Slanderer posted:

lol you probably didnt even realize that the people who write polygon reviews don't even assign the score. the editors decide that after reading the review

ya dip

the positively glowering review, written by someone who has obviously absolutely nothing to do with the editor

also the reviewer meets with the editors and they decide on the score together

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

jalopybrown posted:

edit; gone home
I think most people were saying blind runs took like 2 to 3 hours. Which for a game is admittedly pretty short.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Suben posted:

This guy is hella rad, just look at his tweets.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jalopybrown posted:

about 4 hours. it was actually really cool for the art assets, since they were were able to create a place that felt sorta "real". most games will copy/paste objects as necessary in the game (since they are budgeted only for a limited number of unique assets for an area), but here basically everything was one-of-a-kind, which is impossible for games of bigger scope.

the original $20 price was loving ludicrous though

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

I like this "journalist"

UK video game magazine industry was very weird. Either magazines were 100% shill 100% of the time or went on a mission to tear everything a new rear end in a top hat in a funny way if they possibly could.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Top Comment:

quote:

Thank you for not quashing dissenting discussion. Thank you for confronting the issue head-on. Basically: thank you for taking journalism seriously.

:what:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

A couple of hours. But since if you know the big 'twist' it's pretty dull. The subplot about your parents is completely underdeveloped and leads to no conclusion, so it's just the matter of how would a story of a lesbian sister resonate with you.

Again, I think quite a few people including myself liked it because the story of your little sister discovering punk rock and independent identity in the 1990s resonated with them. Reducing it to "your sister is a lesbian" is disingenuous.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

the positively glowering review, written by someone who has obviously absolutely nothing to do with the editor

also the reviewer meets with the editors and they decide on the score together

when i am a famous indie game developer i will follow every reviewer in the world on twitter, thus preventing them from giving unbiased negative reviews of my garbage 8bit platformer

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Slanderer posted:

when i am a famous indie game developer i will follow every reviewer in the world on twitter, thus preventing them from giving unbiased negative reviews of my garbage 8bit platformer

whats your transvestite indie game jam name

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Mister Fister posted:

Top Comment:

"There's nothing wrong with game journalism! You're just all misogynists!"
"Thank you Kotaku for taking this issue seriously!"

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

whats your transvestite indie game jam name

The Gender Warrior

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Slanderer posted:

there's a bit of a stretch between merely following on twitter as opposed to shmoozing it up irl on record, and unbiased negative reviews as opposed to 10/10 masterpiece

would you like to keep playing, orrrr...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

Again, I think quite a few people including myself liked it because the story of your little sister discovering punk rock and independent identity in the 1990s resonated with them. Reducing it to "your sister is a lesbian" is disingenuous.

It was specifically about riot grrrl type of punk, which is crucial to the story. As I said, I don't care much about the lesbian angle, but I guess the fact that I don't like punk has also something to do with how Gone Home did nothing to me.

Now let's get back to jokes about cucking.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

zoe quinn "followed my twitter" if you catch my drift.. heh

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Mister Fister posted:

Top Comment:

Man I can't wait till these guys start outright yelling "4 legs good, 2 legs bad!"

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

let me help you:

"lol you are mad"

"lol you care about video games"

"lol you are mad, about the video games, the jeux video"

good places to go next, these always work

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

precision posted:

It's not really a game is probably the bigger issue, considering you go around reading the 90's version of audio logs no one likes in any game on the market and then seeing posters for bands that are just like the game: overhyped garbage.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

there's a bit of a stretch between merely following on twitter as opposed to shmoozing it up irl on record, and unbiased negative reviews as opposed to 10/10 masterpiece

would you like to keep playing, orrrr...

haha you still think a 10/10 score means it's the PERFECT GAME. that's retarded as hell

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i'm my first 60 minutes into using the chrome extension that removes patrick klepek stories from giant bomb.

i'm worried i'm going to miss the part where he gets fired now :(

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Slanderer posted:

haha you still think a 10/10 score means it's the PERFECT GAME. that's retarded as hell

nope, just not a score it would have received without outside factors

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
the message here is that you can make a glorified light switch simulator into media gold as long as it involves a marginalized character at some point along the way

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Slanderer posted:

not so much "PERFECT" as "comparable to the standard set by other games that may be regarded as a 10 out of 10"

it's a joke comparing gone home to a mario galaxy or an age of empires 2 or whatever

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Rad Tad posted:

i'm my first 60 minutes into using the chrome extension that removes patrick klepek stories from giant bomb.

i'm worried i'm going to miss the part where he gets fired now :(

you should audibly hear the largest champagne bottle in the world popping open in the distance when it happens, no worries

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
film critics wouldn't accept this poo poo, a 45-minute movie about a person lazily opening cupboards and turning on lamps with a droning voice over in IMAX

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

horriblePencilist posted:

Game Journalism

PC ZONE 4 evr.
They were also once sent a military style crate with toys and t-shirts in it, long before it was the norm to accessorize every loving game with plastic poo poo, and they called out the company on their obvious bribe attempt and gave the swag away to readers.
Also Charlie Brooker reviews were ace <3

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Age of Empires 2 was such a great game

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

nope, just not a score it would have received without outside factors

"well, sure OTHER publications gave it a great score, but THIS publication wouldnt have done it if not for TWITTER NEPOTISM"

Lobster Harmonica posted:

not so much "PERFECT" as "comparable to the standard set by other games that may be regarded as a 10 out of 10"

it's a joke comparing gone home to a mario galaxy or an age of empires 2 or whatever

pretty sure the standard was "i really enjoyed that game and there wasnt really anything about it i disliked a whole lot. namaste"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Brown Menace posted:

you should audibly hear the largest champagne bottle in the world popping open in the distance when it happens, no worries

It'll be all over the internet because he seems like the exact kind of person who will talk to anyone who will listen about how his first amendment rights were being trampled because Jeff Gerstman finally realized Klepek was a complete drag on the company.

Don't let the trolls win featuring Zoe Quinn was a goddamn PAX panel. Being involved in that is a good reason to fire anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Slanderer posted:

pretty sure the standard was "i really enjoyed that game and there wasnt really anything about it i disliked a whole lot. namaste"

ok

• Locked thread