Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pepper bologna posted:

Troegs is beginning distribution to NC this week. I would assume that NC will get more of their year-round offerings at the start, and then will get their more limited beers in time as that seems to be the M.O. for most newly distributed breweries. Does anyone have a recommendation that they would like to share with respect to what is worth trying from their lineup?

Beating Midorka to this one! Definitely try Troegenator, HopBack, and Perpetual IPA. Their new fall seasonal, Hop Knife, is also not bad at all. Oh, and of course, the eternally divisive Mad Elf during the holidays. :) It's a good brewery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

pepper bologna posted:

Troegs is beginning distribution to NC this week. I would assume that NC will get more of their year-round offerings at the start, and then will get their more limited beers in time as that seems to be the M.O. for most newly distributed breweries. Does anyone have a recommendation that they would like to share with respect to what is worth trying from their lineup?

Obligatory Nugget Nectar plug. In addition to what Podima said, I dig their Java Head stout

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lazerwolf posted:

Obligatory Nugget Nectar plug. In addition to what Podima said, I dig their Java Head stout

I'd be pretty surprised if they get much NN, that's hard enough to find in their normal distro areas - and that releases in spring anyhow, so a bit of a ways off. Thanks for the reminder on Java Head though, gotta try that out again this year!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Podima posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if they get much NN, that's hard enough to find in their normal distro areas - and that releases in spring anyhow, so a bit of a ways off. Thanks for the reminder on Java Head though, gotta try that out again this year!

It's a shelf beer for a long time after release in my part of NoVA. It moves quickly but we get tons (assuming NC goons don't get our allotment). Perpetual is probably the beer of theirs that I get the most, but I should jump on Java Head next time I see it fresh. Dead Reckoning is also good, and Flying Mouflan is a great American Barleywine if you like that.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

pepper bologna posted:

Hopback is a solid hoppy amber, and Troegenator is one of the best american doppelbocks.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

ChickenArise posted:

It's a shelf beer for a long time after release in my part of NoVA. It moves quickly but we get tons (assuming NC goons don't get our allotment). Perpetual is probably the beer of theirs that I get the most, but I should jump on Java Head next time I see it fresh. Dead Reckoning is also good, and Flying Mouflan is a great American Barleywine if you like that.
He won't get Dead Reckoning, it got bumped off the Fall rotation in favor of Hop Knife. :( But if you do see it somewhere, get some because it's awesome. I think it got demoted to occasional draft only status.

Basically all their year-round beers are good, the only ones that are just okay are Hopback (because NN is better in every way) and the Pale Ale. I find Dream Weaver to be an awesome year-round Hefe, and Perpetual is super dependable for how easy it is to find/it being canned and bottled/how tasty it is for being that inexpensive. Oh yeah, and if you see LaGrave give that a shot, it's an awesome Tripel that they use as a base for their barrel aging projects.

edit: Hatful is right. Cultivator is a dope maibock, I wish I got a case of that when it came around. So delicious. drat Troegs owns, I wish I lived closer to the brewery so I could try Impending Descent and all of their scratch beers.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 25, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Troegenator and Perpetual for awesome year round cans.

Nugget Nectar and Cultivator are my favorite seasonals.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Crooked Stave Vieille, double dry hopped with Motueka, aged in oak barrels, is really really good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

pepper bologna posted:

Troegenator 16 oz cans is like the best thing to ever happen to beer. $7.99 for a 4 pack here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I didn't really think I liked berliner weisse, the ones in Berlin were loaded wih ruit syrup and prety much Alcopops

https://www.eebria.com/products/beer/buxton-brewery/550-far-skyline

I was so wrong, this is amazing

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I didn't really think I liked berliner weisse, the ones in Berlin were loaded wih ruit syrup and prety much Alcopops

https://www.eebria.com/products/beer/buxton-brewery/550-far-skyline

I was so wrong, this is amazing

Far Skyline is loving banging, as is Brew By Numbers 04/01 Berliner.

edit:

I run a beer shop in London, UK. I have a good relationship with a guy who travels for business out of Raleigh, NC quite often. We trade beer. What are locally-available beers I should get him to bring me? I've managed to score Heady Topper and Prairie BOMB off him, which I thought were quite good finds, but I'm starting to flag a little on my knowledge of what to ask for. I've really loved all the Wicked Weed stuff he's brought over too.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kaiho posted:

I run a beer shop in London, UK. I have a good relationship with a guy who travels for business out of Raleigh, NC quite often. We trade beer. What are locally-available beers I should get him to bring me? I've managed to score Heady Topper and Prairie BOMB off him, which I thought were quite good finds, but I'm starting to flag a little on my knowledge of what to ask for. I've really loved all the Wicked Weed stuff he's brought over too.

uh-oh, the floodgates have been opened...

any particular styles? North Carolina gets pretty decent distribution, but does this person have access to lots of beers from outside the area? for starters, you could check out seekabrew.com to see what breweries are available in general for every state (and then obviously check out ratings and styles on other sites). for NC distro in particular, Allagash, Boulevard, Cascade, Foothills, Jolly Pumpkin, NoDa (particularly Hop Drop n Roll), Olde Hickory, and the Bruery would be the first places i would look.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

Far Skyline is loving banging, as is Brew By Numbers 04/01 Berliner.

edit:

Where is this shop / What is it called? I dont live in London any more, but I know a bunch of thirsty gits who do..

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

any particular styles? North Carolina gets pretty decent distribution, but does this person have access to lots of beers from outside the area? for starters, you could check out seekabrew.com to see what breweries are available in general for every state (and then obviously check out ratings and styles on other sites). for NC distro in particular, Allagash, Boulevard, Cascade, Foothills, Jolly Pumpkin, NoDa (particularly Hop Drop n Roll), Olde Hickory, and the Bruery would be the first places i would look.

As far as Wicked Weed, Oblivion and Black Angel are the only sours I've found better than mediocre. I still like Wicked Weed in general, but unless something dramatic changes, I'll stick to drinking their sours if I see them at a beer festival. Not saying they are bad, it's more that I personally wouldn't trade anything extravagant for their sours.

Piggybacking on the rest of the post - I don't believe Westbrook distributes to NC (else you'd have mentioned it here I'm sure) and if the Raleigh contact knows anyone in Charlotte, it's easy to hop over to SC to pick up Westbrook Gose. I believe Cigar City gets distributed to NC as well though I'm not sure how fresh it is. Continuing Troegs chat, I have heard rumblings about them starting up distro down there.

e: Retemnav and other NC local goons can chime in I'm sure. IIRC it was Sam's in Durham where I saw some good Boulevard smokestacks sitting on their shelves (Rye On Rye, Love Child, Saison Brett) long after they were gone elsewhere so I'd target those too.

air- fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 26, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
No Cigar City in NC unfortunately.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

As far as Wicked Weed, Oblivion and Black Angel are the only sours I've found better than mediocre. I still like Wicked Weed in general, but unless something dramatic changes, I'll stick to drinking their sours if I see them at a beer festival. Not saying they are bad, it's more that I personally wouldn't trade anything extravagant for their sours.

Continuing Troegs chat, I have heard rumblings about them starting up distro down there.

on that note, Victory makes some good beers, as well. Wicked Weed's bottled offerings have been far from stellar (and occasionally terrible) in my opinion, but i've had some really good growlers and have been told by more than one person that Freak and Gluten FREEk are their best beers.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm headed to Houston this weekend. Any suggestions for beers or breweries I should try out?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Coco13 posted:

I'm headed to Houston this weekend. Any suggestions for beers or breweries I should try out?

Mostly updated:
http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Houston

Specific part of town where you are staying/visiting and your modes of transportation (as well as how far you're willing to go) would help a lot.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Has anyone had Wicked Weed's Royal Cache Malice? It's supposedly a harder to get beer from them that was brewed once. A friend is trying to trade some stuff with me, and has offered that up, but I'v enever had anything from WW before, and that beer isn't showing up on any site I use.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
RE: Raleigh - if you want really local stuff, ask for some growlers/howlers of Fullsteam, Raleigh Brewing and Trophy. Or just a bunch of bombers of Fullsteam's Summer Basil, the best summer beer.

Seasonal/rarer/really good NC stuff: Olde Hickory Irish Walker, Imperial Stout & Event Horizon, Foothill's Sexual Chocolate (Reg & BBA) & Jade IPA, NoDa CocoLoco & Hop Drop n' Roll, Green Man Brewing Snozzberry, Fullsteam First Frost, Lonerider Pistols at Dawn.

Otherwise, I think all the really good companies that distribute to NC were covered by others. And definitely get some Boulevard Smokestack stuff, they've hung around NC way longer than they should.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Vertigo posted:

Has anyone had Wicked Weed's Royal Cache Malice? It's supposedly a harder to get beer from them that was brewed once. A friend is trying to trade some stuff with me, and has offered that up, but I'v enever had anything from WW before, and that beer isn't showing up on any site I use.

Think you're looking for this, and yeah it is a pretty hard to get beer.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30581/106188/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wicked-weed-malice-wild-ale/238735/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't know if it is worth shipping much over the ocean, but imo many NC breweries excel at the basic styles. I feel like I can get way more and better Kolsch in Raleigh than I do here. Also, Lonerider's Sweet Josie is my favorite brown ale.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Thats the one... and wow... I definitely need to seal this deal now... thank you!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

I mentioned the Heady as an indicator that he does get stuff from further afield. I also tried the Prairie BOMB! the other day from him. That was nice. He's brought me some Allagash stuff (eh, didn't grab me) and we can get a load of Jolly Pumpkin here in the UK. Good shout on Boulevard though!

As far as style goes, anything really. I'm trying to be omnivorous with my beers (given that it's a career) but getting fresh-as-a-daisy IPA is always nice though UK breweries are turning out stuff to rival any American ones these days. One thing we don't get nearly enough of here is the ridiculous American stouts a la BORIS/DORIS...

Spuckuk posted:

Where is this shop / What is it called? I dont live in London any more, but I know a bunch of thirsty gits who do..

I'm a bit leery about posting exact details online given anonymous hahaha but it's run as part of a young but rapidly-expanding brewery with a load of bars across the UK and some internationally. Make of that what you will. Or check my post history.

air- posted:

Piggybacking on the rest of the post - I don't believe Westbrook distributes to NC (else you'd have mentioned it here I'm sure) and if the Raleigh contact knows anyone in Charlotte, it's easy to hop over to SC to pick up Westbrook Gose. I believe Cigar City gets distributed to NC as well though I'm not sure how fresh it is. Continuing Troegs chat, I have heard rumblings about them starting up distro down there.

e: Retemnav and other NC local goons can chime in I'm sure. IIRC it was Sam's in Durham where I saw some good Boulevard smokestacks sitting on their shelves (Rye On Rye, Love Child, Saison Brett) long after they were gone elsewhere so I'd target those too.

Westbrook Gose is loving fantastic and I would drink it all day err day if I could. That said, it gets sporadic UK distribution and Westbrook stuff other than that is a bit stretched as far as I understand given Evil Twin brewing there like every day. I've heard good things about Nugget Nectar (and have drunk a homebrew clone that was enjoyable) so might ask for something like that.

Retemnav posted:

RE: Raleigh - if you want really local stuff, ask for some growlers/howlers of Fullsteam, Raleigh Brewing and Trophy. Or just a bunch of bombers of Fullsteam's Summer Basil, the best summer beer.

Seasonal/rarer/really good NC stuff: Olde Hickory Irish Walker, Imperial Stout & Event Horizon, Foothill's Sexual Chocolate (Reg & BBA) & Jade IPA, NoDa CocoLoco & Hop Drop n' Roll, Green Man Brewing Snozzberry, Fullsteam First Frost, Lonerider Pistols at Dawn.

Otherwise, I think all the really good companies that distribute to NC were covered by others. And definitely get some Boulevard Smokestack stuff, they've hung around NC way longer than they should.

Thanks a lot for the names, this was exactly what I was looking for - a list of things I can drop the next time he's over and see if he can source any of them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

I'm a bit leery about posting exact details online given anonymous hahaha but it's run as part of a young but rapidly-expanding brewery with a load of bars across the UK and some internationally. Make of that what you will. Or check my post history.

Ah that does limit it down to kind of one place yup. Have heard great things about the shop!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I also tried the Prairie BOMB! the other day from him.

Prairie/Evil Twin made Bible Belt as well, so I'd try and get that if you liked Bomb. It's distributed under Prairie, though I'm not sure if Evil Twin areas (but not Prairie) had it distributed.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

air- posted:

Prairie/Evil Twin made Bible Belt as well, so I'd try and get that if you liked Bomb. It's distributed under Prairie, though I'm not sure if Evil Twin areas (but not Prairie) had it distributed.

Just heard we've got a few cases of that with our address on it, so I'll grab one then :)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pepper bologna posted:

Everything in their standard lineup is at least pretty damned decent. Dead Reckoning's a pretty solid porter, it's not up there with Edmund Fitz but it's pretty good. HopBack's great, Java Head is great, Perpetual is great. If you see Nugget Nectar or Mad Elf or Flying Mouflan drink those too. But if you just get the standard beers I don't think there's anything in there that you shouldn't drink at least once. Dreamweaver is kind of 'meh,' I suppose.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

air- posted:

It says right on the bottle that it is distributed by Shelton Bros. So if you get Shelton Bros, you get Bible Belt. Shelton is definitely the distributor for Prairie, unsure about Evil Twin.

Obligatory "Get hosed Shelton Bros."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Compusaurus posted:

It says right on the bottle that it is distributed by Shelton Bros. So if you get Shelton Bros, you get Bible Belt. 37 cases will be distributed to every gas station in Nebraska while other markets will receive a single bottle and be forced to enter the Thunderdome to determine who gets it.

Obligatory "Get hosed Shelton Bros."

Fixed that for you.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Compusaurus posted:

It says right on the bottle that it is distributed by Shelton Bros. So if you get Shelton Bros, you get Bible Belt.

not true at all, i'm afraid.

Kaiho posted:

As far as style goes, anything really. I'm trying to be omnivorous with my beers (given that it's a career) but getting fresh-as-a-daisy IPA is always nice though UK breweries are turning out stuff to rival any American ones these days. One thing we don't get nearly enough of here is the ridiculous American stouts a la BORIS/DORIS...

in that case, add Great Divide's Yeti (and the variants- oak-aged, espresso, etc) to the list. Avery makes some big gently caress off stouts like Mephistopheles and Uncle Jacob's, and Clown Shoes, while kinda crappy on the whole, has some good stouts in Blaecorn Unidragon and Hammer of the Holy (which used to be Vampire Slayer ((right?))). i don't drink much from Cisco, either, but their Lady of the Woods is really good if you like sour stuff (in which case get some Cascade already).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

funkybottoms posted:

in that case, add Great Divide's Yeti (and the variants- oak-aged, espresso, etc) to the list. Avery makes some big gently caress off stouts like Mephistopheles and Uncle Jacob's, and Clown Shoes, while kinda crappy on the whole, has some good stouts in Blaecorn Unidragon and Hammer of the Holy (which used to be Vampire Slayer ((right?))). i don't drink much from Cisco, either, but their Lady of the Woods is really good if you like sour stuff (in which case get some Cascade already).

Undead Party Crasher is the new Vampire Slayer. Chocolate Sombrero is good too. The barrel aged versions are really good too, Luchador en Fuego and Porcine Unidragon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Someone uploaded the FOBAB list from last year. gently caress yeah, so stoked.

http://imgur.com/a/V1SwC

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm headed to Denver next week to visit the in-laws. I've been a few times and have visited the usual suspects (Falling Rock, Argonaut, Crooked Stave, Great Divide, Avery, Stranahan's) but my wife has asked me to come up with one or two MUST SEE places for this trip.

So what say you, CO goons? What TWO Denver/FOCO/Boulder breweries and/or bars should we visit this time around?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

air- posted:

Someone uploaded the FOBAB list from last year. gently caress yeah, so stoked.

http://imgur.com/a/V1SwC

I should do that for mine, which is still on my desk somewhere. It starts with a couple of notes pointing to some of the beers, then as it goes on I move to various smiley faces to refer to what I thought, then I wrote 'gently caress this' or 'gently caress me' next to some more.

I am pumped. Also my goal is to not throw my glass against a wall somewhere in Pilsen this year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm headed to Denver next week to visit the in-laws. I've been a few times and have visited the usual suspects (Falling Rock, Argonaut, Crooked Stave, Great Divide, Avery, Stranahan's) but my wife has asked me to come up with one or two MUST SEE places for this trip.

So what say you, CO goons? What TWO Denver/FOCO/Boulder breweries and/or bars should we visit this time around?

Eliminating the places you listed, River North in Denver is a great hidden gem. Then I'd suggest one out of Equinox, Funkwerks, City Star or Grimm Bros if you're interested in heading north. Those are all places making great beer that you almost certainly can't find back home.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So I haven't been to the Revolution taproom in a while, but they just beamed me a mug club email that is going to make me drop everything and go tomorrow:

quote:

On tap starting tomorrow 8/27 is a Eugene Porter with Dark Matter coffee and cocoa nibs. After that keg is gone, we'll have a Eugene Porter with raspberry and cocoa nibs (pictured). While these beers aren't meant to be widely released, they're something fun for you to try if you can!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

There's a bottle of Blaecorn in my fridge, and I've still got stock of Yeti. :) Great minds, eh.

Avery would be cool, I'll see if he's able to get anything from them. Do Cascade actually distribute well? I've asked my guy for Crooked Stave stuff and so far nothing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

So I haven't been to the Revolution taproom in a while, but they just beamed me a mug club email that is going to make me drop everything and go tomorrow:

WUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Draft Night = 2013 Parabola.

Bitter chocolate. Vanilla. Quite a bit of booze heat for an 18 month old bottle. This is nice and is going to get me pretty buzzed as I make brilliant selections.