Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So how many people here were fans of the nWo when it came out? I was such a mark I just couldn't bring myself to cheer them.

Flair looks hilarious flailing on the ground in his feathered/bedazzled robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Spikeguy posted:

I'll never get over the story of WCW giving Scott and Kevin bigger contracts for more money because they thought they were going to play Fake Razor and Fake Diesel.

WCW's ability to just spray money at everything for no particular reason always was and still is spectacular to behold.

I think there was another Hall and Nash contract story when WCW initally signed them, after they had already agreed to and signed their contracts, WCW called up to offer them more money on top of the contracts they'd just agreed to.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
One of you goons tell me what the difference is between the regular and modified episode. WHAT DID THEY EDIT OUT?!?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Astro7x posted:

One of you goons tell me what the difference is between the regular and modified episode. WHAT DID THEY EDIT OUT?!?

Could be a duplicate with no changes. They have the same runtime, which is unusual if there's an edit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Astro7x posted:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Oh christ, if only.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Rollins is working at about three quarter speed. It is like he is walking in sludge.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cole is doing some slight heel commentary and I hate it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sigma posted:

Rollins is working at about three quarter speed. It is like he is walking in sludge.

Is something wrong or just RVD?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brock Lesnar is really good at pretapes, y'all

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
That was the first time I saw last nights opening segment with sound and wow what a bunch of garbage.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is something wrong or just RVD?

I'm not sure, but my gut says he was working slow because RVD was going even slower.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Okay that top 50 OMG WCW DVD looks great

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Haha, didn't WCW end up paying Nash and Hall a lot more money because they thought Fake Diesel and fake Razor were legit?

Edit: I don't know if we mentioned it but Hell Yes! Keith David!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 27, 2014

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Good grief I don't remember Oz at all haha

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

It's still weird that they couldn't get Eric Bischoff in to do new interviews for this show.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Haha pasta mania

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

Okay that top 50 OMG WCW DVD looks great

It's amazing and worth every penny

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Astro7x posted:

there actually was a modification in the uploaded version of the first episode, which astounded me. (they took out the incorrect statement that RAW was pre-empted by the Westminister Dog Show when Nitro premiered, which sucks because hearing Keith David say "Westminister Dog Show" in this contemptuous tone was by far the best part of the show)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

there actually was a modification in the uploaded version of the first episode, which astounded me. (they took out the incorrect statement that RAW was pre-empted by the Westminister Dog Show when Nitro premiered, which sucks because hearing Keith David say "Westminister Dog Show" in this contemptuous tone was by far the best part of the show)

Oh man they took that out? That was so motherfucking hilarious.

I blame people here for bitching about it. :colbert:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

The nWo roster got too big too soon I think.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

That was really good, a whole lot better than the actual nWo Doc they made.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That one was a bit WCW-heavy, though I guess if you're covering the birth of the NWO, it makes sense. I'm wondering if the next episode is going to cover what the WWF was doing at the time, because skipping to 1998 without covering, like, Montreal, seems bizarre.

FWIW, the next ep does seem much more WWF-focused from the description.

quote:

Vince McMahon leads a company-wide change in a direction that nets the company its greatest ratings to date.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That one was a bit WCW-heavy, though I guess if you're covering the birth of the NWO, it makes sense. I'm wondering if the next episode is going to cover what the WWF was doing at the time, because skipping to 1998 without covering, like, Montreal, seems bizarre.

FWIW, the next ep does seem much more WWF-focused from the description.

I'm guessing they aren't going to go in chronological order. Each episode is going to be about each particular event and topic without any regard for time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm digging the Monday Night War. Officially uncanceling my auto renew.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man it's weird to be reminded just how hugely over Jeff Hardy was in his last year in WWE.

And thus how amazing it was to watch heel CM Punk beat him clean and run him out of the company :allears:

Edit: Oh poo poo you guys, Pillman's got a gun!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 28, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Watching Monday Night Wars ep 3 and it does definitely have a broader scope than the previous two episodes, which seemed to more cover '95 and '96 respectively, but I can see that they wanted to cover the general tone change going on throughout the attitude era before diving back into the timeline, while also giving a counterpoint to the NWO episode.

Also there's a great shot of a 'Vince is a silly bastard' sign

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh awesome I didn't realize another episode would be up already. Is that just a mistake on their end or was it not supposed to be a weekly thing?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Noone's sure, but seeing as a lot of subscribers' 6 month periods are ending this week they're probably throwing out a bit more content to try and get people to resub to see the rest.

The tone of the ep is interesting, there's definitely some elements of embarrassment and regret when talking about how far they pushed the limits to compete with WCW, though Vince himself seems more confident in the decisions made at the time ever in retrospect.

E: And for people worrying that it'll be only last a few episodes, it should be noted that WWE Countdown and WM rewind were both exactly 20 episodes long

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 29, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like how much of a bland company man Cena is any time he shows up in all three episodes so far.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

I'm liking the series do far, but it's kind of annoying how old the interviews are. The only noticeable difference between this and the Rise and Fall DVD is the tone of regret and length.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

E: And for people worrying that it'll be only last a few episodes, it should be noted that WWE Countdown and WM rewind were both exactly 20 episodes long

Countdown is over? That's a premise that can just continue forever if they think up something, why would the stop it at twenty?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ktik posted:

Countdown is over? That's a premise that can just continue forever if they think up something, why would the stop it at twenty?

Monday Night War is 20 episodes as well. I'm thinking they will run different shows off and on. Hopefully Countdown will be back by the spring for season 2.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I just got this email today about renewing the Network and it mentions Countdown Season 2 in September:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

A lot of these shows have been in the can since mid-2012 in anticipation of a network launch. I hope they will make more of them when they get a better idea what people like the most, but with budgets being cut that's not a 100% sure thing. Hopefully the blunders countdown gets spun-off into a botchamania-type series because it's the best thing they've made so far and it's not close

E: Oh right yeah more countdown was definitely happening as we had polls being run on WWE.com for poo poo like 'biggest crybaby'

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I think the biggest takeaway from this episode was

Good god why is Lawler still employed I've never seen a bigger creep that was as unapologetic about it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wrestlemania Rewind should just be a general Rewind show with buildup and fallout from historic matches

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wrestlemania Rewind should just be a general Rewind show with buildup and fallout from historic matches

I assume that's what it will evolve into. There's only so many matches that deserve an hour long special. And they've done a few that had 2 matches for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think that's what that Rivalries series will probably be.

Also I kind of agree with Vince, even in retrospect. Yes, a lot of the Attitude era stuff is crude and crossing a bunch of lines that should never be crossed again, but it was exactly right for the time. Every single one of us and millions of other people ate that poo poo up. I'm glad stuff has moved on but it was what they had to do then to be relevant and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

cronox2 posted:

I think the biggest takeaway from this episode was

Good god why is Lawler still employed I've never seen a bigger creep that was as unapologetic about it.
Because half the other guys in positions of power are equally big creeps, if not bigger.

• Locked thread