Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is it fascism yet posted:

Imagine tepoko bringing a girl home from the pub, and the increasingly bewildered looks on her face as she notices the Star Wars toys, board games and the many books about hitler

and the many board games about hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
it is okay until he has the anime hitler body pillow that he plays his hitler board games against

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

inSTAALed posted:

my friend would like shooty space ships probably then. i will buy them

were you successful in re-becoming a child and how has this affected ur ability to play other board games?
no problem with board games because games are for children

Is it fascism yet posted:

Imagine tepoko bringing a girl home from the pub, and the increasingly bewildered looks on her face as she notices the Star Wars toys, board games and the many books about hitler
this made me laugh way more than it should have done, but is essentially true, but omits to mention my film collection as well

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

inSTAALed posted:

play stratego

What I'm saying is it should be just one roll.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

looking again i have a surprising lack of hitler books, loads about 19th century america though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

no problem with board games because games are for children

a funny anecdote about that

gaming friends of ours have an 11 year old girl who, when suggested for a camping trip "hey you should bring some games to play with the other kids your age that'll be there!" responded by saying "ugh, mom, board games are for *adults*"

they keep trying to play games with her and she seems to like pictomania at least and is willing to try out things like trucker

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

- Remember to use Agricola to teach kids that life is unfair and that everyone else hates you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

she came to vlaadacon and played pictomania there! cute kid.

speaking of which, there's now a vlaadacon microbadge and the writeup should be coming shortly (photos were put up on bgg I think)

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
agricola has a family mode

it is like uwe rosenberg wants to be a homewrecker

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i played tactics ii when i was in third grade

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
tekopo and others who might know - what sort of play time can i expect on andean abyss? is it really gonna be 6 hours?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

inSTAALed posted:

play stratego

Stratego is for scrubs, play luzhanqi, laowai

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The End posted:

tekopo and others who might know - what sort of play time can i expect on andean abyss? is it really gonna be 6 hours?
that's the sort of timescale that it took me to play it, yep, shorter if someone wins before the end

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh my god I love it when feminism is discussed intelligently in the board games thread.

Women are being raped so why do you care about boardgames filthy sjws.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh my god I love it when feminism is discussed intelligently in the board games thread.

nobody should care about arkham horror tho

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

Stratego is for scrubs, play luzhanqi, laowai

play napoleon's triumph instead

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

play napoleon's triumph instead
should probably be posted on every page of this thread

Dec 26, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

Let's discuss gender politics within the world of FFGs lovecraft board games. That seems like a fruitful use of our time.

all genders are equal when playing a FFG lovecraft game in that severe boredom crosses all privilege boundaries

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

People who complain about Archipelago are the real racists.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Gimnbo posted:

People who complain about Archipelago are the real racists.

projection is a real thing!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Some dumbass: Wow, board games sure are good, and not classist as hell, I will buy some more peasants and pretend I am a lord of medieval ages

Me (extra virile): Wow, haha, that's not even good. tumblr dot com rear end in a top hat, do you even have socials in your house :c00l:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scyther posted:

What I'm saying is it should be just one roll.

not a board game but this is the only thing I don't like about Fate. It's archaic and weird and reminds me of oWoD even though I never even played that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

should probably be posted on every page of this thread

yes but especially whenever stratego is mentioned because damned if it's not the same genre but way better

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Late to the party but my 10 cents:

Out of curiosity, how many games have a male Vietnamese nurse/secretary, an African shaman, a black female baker, a black musician, a mixed race doctor (confirmed), a female Asian martial artist, a black female singer, and 3 characters of indiscernible race in a county (Essex County) that is currently 76% white and for much older census's as much as 86% white (or any city similar to this or any city at all)?

Further, at 6 or more Stamina you have 4 female characters (as previously mentioned by a poster on this page)- Lily Chen, Zoey Samaras, Rita Young and Diana Stanley- with Lily Chen being the strongest character in the game. There are in fact 5 men in the 6 or more Sanity category as well. So, I have already done the math, but there isn't any statistically significant difference between male and female characters in the game. So yes, there are a few more men in the 6+ stamina category and a few more women in the 6+.

In the end, even white female characters are empowered in Arkham Horror. Female investigators occupy positions such as scientist, researcher, explorer, psychologist along with the classic gendered roles for this era of librarian, dilettante, waitress etc.

In short, this is a null issue start to finish.

Black singer: check. Asian martial artist: check. Black voodoo priest: check. Issue: null.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i'm getting angry at people discussing this not because i want them to shut up about feminism but because i want them to shut up about arkham horror

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

StashAugustine posted:

i'm getting angry at people discussing this not because i want them to shut up about feminism but because i want them to shut up about arkham horror

my group keeps saying they want to play this today and i dont know how many times i have to explain that i dont want to because it is not a good game

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
sometimes you have to let other people make mistakes and tell them i told you so

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

inSTAALed posted:

my group keeps saying they want to play this today and i dont know how many times i have to explain that i dont want to because it is not a good game
the best option in this case is to let them play but moodily stare at them in rage from across the room as they play

the awkwardness will eventually force them to stop playing

side effects might include your gaming group collapsing

Dec 26, 2012

inSTAALed posted:

get them to play with every expansion. this will cure them of wanting to play ever again

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lord Frisk posted:

Black singer: check. Asian martial artist: check. Black voodoo priest: check. Issue: null.

Hahaha, right after I leave my impressed post dude busts back in to talk about how progressive AH is with its Asian martial artists. Checkmate feminists. :smug:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

every time I check the local meetup and see "cards against humanity/werewolf/munchkin night!" I die a little inside

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Crackbone posted:

every time I check the local meetup and see "cards against humanity/werewolf/munchkin night!" I die a little inside

there is never anything different

i went to a board game meetup once at a bar and people brought adventure time monopoly and cards against humanity to play

i dont even know how these things happen

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
we are playing dominant species instead of arkham horror now

i'll consider this a victory

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

way better

do you have ap prone people because DS can get...lengthy.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It was gonna be a lengthy night anyway

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

silvergoose posted:

way better

do you have ap prone people because DS can get...lengthy.

no not too bad usually but arkham horror takes for ever anyway like lord frisk said

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

inSTAALed posted:

keep on fighting the good fight

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I need feminism because it'd be nice if great games like tash kalar didn't have woman-repelling art.

Stan Taylor posted:

yes back to important board game things like which version of fluxx is the best least terrible

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

HERP DERP let's excuse institutional racism under the guise of "historical accuracy"*

*Nothing else in game historically accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
no, the only options are perfect historical accuracy or.. whatever weird thing that dude was trying to say with 15 year old hispanic girls?

• Locked thread