Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Nintendo seems to be trying a new strategy this generation. Rather than court third parties, or just focus on making solid 1st party games (though they're doing that too), they're doing a bunch of collabs with other developers with their own franchises.

I mean, so far my sample size is Hyrule Warriors and Pokken, but still. It's a pretty cool direction to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Don't forget the late DS game: Pokemon Conquest and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. I hope we get more of these collabs, I want my Metal Gear Star Fox.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They're also supplementing some developers with budgets to produce additional content, like with W101 and Bayonetta 2. I think there are others but I can't think of them.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

So I was getting frustrated at trying to 3 star 150cc cups in MK8. I swear, I'm always doing fine for a few tracks and then I'll get like 5 feet from the finish line and be hit by 5 blue shells or other bullshit. Anyway, I took the opportunity to start a Hero mode playthrough of Wind Waker HD. I don't think this was a good idea as it just seems even more frustrating without actually being difficult, but I've barely started. No recovery hearts ever is pretty drat steep.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Jsor posted:

Nintendo seems to be trying a new strategy this generation. Rather than court third parties, or just focus on making solid 1st party games (though they're doing that too), they're doing a bunch of collabs with other developers with their own franchises.

I mean, so far my sample size is Hyrule Warriors and Pokken, but still. It's a pretty cool direction to take.

They heard all the 3rd party developers complaining that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems and replied with "Well, how would you like to make a Nintendo game?"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Louisgod posted:

They're also supplementing some developers with budgets to produce additional content, like with W101 and Bayonetta 2. I think there are others but I can't think of them.

Devil's Third.

*sigh*

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Silver Striker posted:

So I was getting frustrated at trying to 3 star 150cc cups in MK8. I swear, I'm always doing fine for a few tracks and then I'll get like 5 feet from the finish line and be hit by 5 blue shells or other bullshit. Anyway, I took the opportunity to start a Hero mode playthrough of Wind Waker HD. I don't think this was a good idea as it just seems even more frustrating without actually being difficult, but I've barely started. No recovery hearts ever is pretty drat steep.

The very beginning is the worst. Once you get access to soup it's about as hard as normal Wind Waker (not very). The only place after Dragon Roost that really gave me trouble was unfrozen Hyrule Castle and that's more because I wasn't careful when pulling enemies.

Louisgod posted:

Sonic. Nintendo is pretty much funding the next few Sonic games (not sure about the cartoon), as well as contributing things like code and engine work.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Don't forget the late DS game: Pokemon Conquest and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. I hope we get more of these collabs, I want my Metal Gear Star Fox.

Smash Bros and Pokken Fighters being developed by Namco seems kind of line with that, too. I wonder if we'll see Kuma or Roger or something in Pokken Fighters?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, uh:

quote:

Each Add On Content pack will contain two new cups, each with four courses, which, in total, increases the number of available courses by 50 percent. The Add On Content packs include classics like Wario’s Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, as well as new courses, some taking place in the worlds of The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing. New vehicles will also arrive with each pack, including the Blue Falcon kart representing the F-Zero franchise in the first AOC pack.
Mario Kart 8 Pack 1 - Released: November 2014

Pack 1 includes:

3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link
4 Vehicles
8 Courses
Mario Kart 8 Pack 2 - Released: May 2015

Pack 2 includes:

3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser
4 Vehicles
8 Courses
As a bonus for purchasing both packs - as a bundle or separately - you can get eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys that can be used right away.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/the-legend-of-zelda-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991121.html
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/animal-crossing-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991122.html

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 26, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hell yes at everything about that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Is that an Excitebike track in the lower left?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is that an Excitebike track in the lower left?
Or Stunt Race FX?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm so loving pumped for that

EDIT: NINTENDO TAKE ALL MY MONEY. ALL OF IT!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's some cool good news

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I get to kart as loving LINK on 8 new maps gently caress can I just give my bank account and PIN to Nintendo and they can withdraw as needed?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Jsor posted:

Sonic. Nintendo is pretty much funding the next few Sonic games (not sure about the cartoon), as well as contributing things like code and engine work.

No they aren't. Sonic Boom is the last game in that deal, the other two were Winter Olympic Games and Lost World. Sonic Team has already confirmed that they are working on a new Sonic game for 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Holy poo poo. So they're finally just making it "Nintendo Kart"? I'm up for that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

homeless snail posted:

Or Stunt Race FX?

Deep loving pull.

All that new stuff sounds great, but I'm still hoping for proper battle mode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Or Stunt Race FX?

It's definitely Excitebike. That's track two from the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kinda surprised they aren't putting that in a direct tbh, it would be a good surprise, or did Nintendo UK gently caress up and post it too early?

Random Stranger posted:

It's definitely Excitebike. That's track two from the game.
I choose to live in a world where people acknowledge Stunt Race FX.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Link in Mariokart, driving the Blue Falcon on a track from Excitebike. My mind is offically blown. :psyboom:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 26, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Villager mows down yet another opponent while maintaining his characteristic pitiless stare.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I can't believe they missed the opportunity to have Link on an Epona bike, what the gently caress Nintendo.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

gently caress that's good DLC. Especially since I get a F-zero track and Blue Falcon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hopefully by Mario Kart 9 they'll just be stealing the roster straight from Smash

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wild Knight posted:

I can't believe they missed the opportunity to have Link on an Epona bike, what the gently caress Nintendo.

We may still get an epona bike. Each DLC pack comes with 4 vehicles, and we only know of one of them so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

homeless snail posted:

Kinda surprised they aren't putting that in a direct tbh, it would be a good surprise, or did Nintendo UK gently caress up and post it too early?

That's definitely a gently caress-up from NUK.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hold up... 16 DLC tracks? I'm down for that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Help Im Alive posted:

Hopefully by Mario Kart 9 they'll just be stealing the roster straight from Smash

Yeah or they'll pad the roster with Pink Gold Peach-tier characters and force you to spend more money on characters that aren't lame as hell.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Someone please draw Link flipping off a crying Epona while he does donuts in a Mercedes Benz, TIA

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I typically hate DLC, but that is actually a good amount of content for the price. This will probably be my first DLC purchase.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The price may very well be a placeholder, I wouldn't pin too much on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the characters aren't made available via Amiibo, too.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Yeah, I never buy DLC, and I'm buying all of that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

gently caress Mariokart, make it F-Zero with weapons and Smash Roster and I'd buy that poo poo in an instant.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Any chance of US store links anywhere?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The price may very well be a placeholder, I wouldn't pin too much on it.
Its pretty consistent with what they did with Mario Golf, price/content ratio wise.

Nintendo is really good at DLC.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BowieFett posted:

I typically hate DLC, but that is actually a good amount of content for the price. This will probably be my first DLC purchase.

The Mario Golf DLC was pretty good value for money too. It was like $15 and you got 108 holes and I think 4 characters

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My only issue is why do we need to wait till May 2015 for the second DLC pack? Seems kinda stretched out for DLC, but whatever, Nintendo has the right idea as far as content is concerned.

Harlock posted:

Just end Mario Kart and make the next one Nintendo Kart. Or Nintendo All Stars Racing. Something less infringing.

I've been saying this since seeing how well done Sega's racing game is. I'm glad they're actually going for it.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 26, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just end Mario Kart and make the next one Nintendo Kart. Or Nintendo All Stars Racing. Something less infringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

My only issue is why do we need to wait till May 2015 for the second DLC pack? Seems kinda stretched out for DLC, but whatever, Nintendo has the right idea as far as content is concerned.

That's the EU Release date, because Nintendo hates Europeans for some reason.

• Locked thread