Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Dragon Age Inquisition will ship with a Mass effect 3 style multiplayer mode (like almost identical down to future maps etc. being free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well that sucks, and I wanted it to be good since they had a Bruin on the cover this year too. :(

Guess I'll just wait till it gets cheaper or wait till next year.

While I'm at it, how's FIFA 14? Or would it be worth waiting to see how 15 is in another month or so?
Don't put any money towards the shitshow half-rear end garbage that is NHL 15 -An NHL franchise veteran

FIFA 14 is really fun, and I say that as someone who finds actual soccer really boring (aside from a binge every 4 years for World Cup which is on another level, generally). The engine is good, the commentators are good, it's pretty easy to pick up but has a really high skill ceiling. Especially after being an NHL franchise fanboy for so long, FIFA 14 is a really well made game (because EA puts the good devs on FIFA and the bad ones on NHL)

If you can find it cheap, I'd say 14 is fine. I am not 100% on the upgrades on 15 but they're bound to be decent enough for a $60 purchase if you're a fan of the series. The online play options might drop off on 14 once 15 comes out, but I've been going through Career mode and single player FUT mostly. I don't plan to pick up 15 right away but would probably throw $40 at it if it gets a sale at some point.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

BitBasher posted:

Is there any indication that Ellie even knew that much? was she ever actually conscious during the deal? Did she ever actually see a Firefly or Marlene? I got the impression she was relying entirely on Joel recounting events.

No, but waking up in a hospital gown has to count for something. Ellie probably believes they found the Fireflies but it's up to her to believe if Joel is telling the truth about the other immune and there being no means to synthesize a cure.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
First Light seems like a no brainer for anyone who liked Infamous. I'm only an hour in, but the unlocked battle arena seems to offer more replay than Second Son.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ghostwritingduck posted:

First Light seems like a no brainer for anyone who liked Infamous. I'm only an hour in, but the unlocked battle arena seems to offer more replay than Second Son.

I'm about an hour in as well, and I also think this is a solid deal. I mean, its 15 bucks, so everyone has their own value scale. But taken solely as a product of entertainment, I am enjoying the hell out of it. Movement feels good. It's good to be back, but in a different way.
I like it.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

My framerate on The Golf Club is extremely choppy.... I mean almost unplayable.

Anyone else have this issue?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Surlaw posted:

Joel has no idea who those guys were or what they'd done/do even if the player does. That's what makes it so dark. Even if he did it's still gross to kill prisoners who currently pose no threat. That's what makes Joel an interesting character! "Defending cannibalism" is dumb. The story is so effective because Joel does gross, unheroic things.

Yeah I agree with this. First of all, Joel used to be a hunter. He even states that he used to ambush people to kill them and take their stuff. Even then, Marlene was the one that spared his life because she felt he was the only one that knew what kind of decision she had to make. Even still at the end of the game, when she hold him at gunpoint, she turns her gun off of him as a show of peace and he shoots her and then straight up murders her. Joel is a pretty monstrous person.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
With all the spoilers, I feel like I'm reading a CIA document.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Morby posted:

With all the spoilers, I feel like I'm reading a CIA document.

What about the numbers Morby.

Does First Light restrict the open world in any way or do you have free reign?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah I agree with this. First of all, Joel used to be a hunter. He even states that he used to ambush people to kill them and take their stuff. Even then, Marlene was the one that spared his life because she felt he was the only one that knew what kind of decision she had to make. Even still at the end of the game, when she hold him at gunpoint, she turns her gun off of him as a show of peace and he shoots her and then straight up murders her. Joel is a pretty monstrous person.

Yeah but something to keep in mind is she put her gun down to give Joel the option of changing his mind and giving Ellie back up, this wasn't a simple surrender. The execution shot could have arguably been a bit much, but I still think his reasoning of "you'd only come after her" is pretty much rock solid.

Having never played either one, is the Metro Redux worth picking up? Or should I just try the first and get the second if I'm into it? I don't think I'd play 2033 on original difficulty, at least the first time, but they look really cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zip posted:

My framerate on The Golf Club is extremely choppy.... I mean almost unplayable.

Anyone else have this issue?

I've heard it's a terrible game with terrible graphics and performance. (I've not experienced it firsthand.)

Laughing Man posted:

Does First Light restrict the open world in any way or do you have free reign?

It does not restrict, but be warned it is about half the map size of the main game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Christoff posted:

Do you really need a tin case and post cards? For a couple bucks less you can get the digital guardian that's like $90? I think it's US only though

Silly me, I thought the digital and physical were the same price for some dumb reason. Digital it is then!

Dubious posted:

Go read the TAQ thread on NHL 15 and not feel bad at all about not buying it.

EA hosed that up so hard.

It's weird considering the same team behind NHL is behind FIFA as well (EA Canada).

\/\/ Ahh, that makes sense then. Thanks.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's weird considering the same team behind NHL is behind FIFA as well (EA Canada).

Same city/campus, not same team. My dad worked on FIFA in the mid 2000s.

Edit: on a related note, our Premier (equivalent to governor) seems to think EA started in Vancouver. She just tweeted this

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do you guys know about the epilogue for TLOU that was cut from the game? They wrote it, felt it worked better with the ambiguous ending, and then cut it. They performed it live with the mo-cap/voice actors for people attending during their remasterd launch party thing. It's as follows:

It takes place some undetermined amount of time after the game ends. Shows Ellie and Joel at Joel's Brothers compound/farm thing. There is clearly tension between them due to them both knowing about Joel's lie. In the epilogue Joel eventually breaks through her anger, and they have a father-daughter moment where he teaches her to play guitar. Cut to credits.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Yes. I'm loving it so far. Also I took a peak at the trophy list, and there is no difficulty level trophies so you don't have to go through on expert unless you really want to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Olli Olli was totally purchasable for me via the webstore and downloaded to my PS4. As someone who enjoyed it but struggled on Vita with "big hand-itis" I am already mopping the floor with my old scores.

Its not a ton to look at, but it's fun as gently caress, and has a GREAT soundtrack to zone out to.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Feenix posted:

It does not restrict, but be warned it is about half the map size of the main game.

To be more specific, all the Seattle stuff takes place on the upper half of the map, you can't cross the bridge to the southern half at all.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

According to the PSNation twitch stream, The Golf Club is choppy for people with huge friends lists (goons.)

A similar thing happened with Assassin's Creed and huge friend's lists.... Apparently if your list is over 100 it kerchunks from checking data and score updates and gives you a real choppy framerate.

:(

I might purge some of you because I really want to play golf.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megasabin posted:

It takes place some undetermined amount of time after the game ends. Shows Ellie and Joel at Joel's Brothers compound/farm thing. There is clearly tension between them due to them both knowing about Joel's lie. In the epilogue Joel eventually breaks through her anger, and they have a father-daughter moment where he teaches her to play guitar. Cut to credits.

Probably just decided wasn't necessary and it's better to draw your own conclusions about that kind of stuff. I think leaving that part would have been a little redundant.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Probably just decided wasn't necessary and it's better to draw your own conclusions about that kind of stuff. I think leaving that part would have been a little redundant.

Yeah, it definitely works better the way it is.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

ya here's a twitter convo explaining the issues with The Golf Club. :( https://twitter.com/thegolfclubgame/status/504408061206077440

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Zip posted:

According to the PSNation twitch stream, The Golf Club is choppy for people with huge friends lists (goons.)

A similar thing happened with Assassin's Creed and huge friend's lists.... Apparently if your list is over 100 it kerchunks from checking data and score updates and gives you a real choppy framerate.

:(

I might purge some of you because I really want to play golf.

Dammit I thought once they started making games after the PS4 release they would sort this out. I kinda understood it being overlooked on release games because the ps3 limit was 100, but there's no excuse now.

edit: at least they figured it out quick and are rolling out an update. Only took :dice: like 4-5 months to fix that problem in BF4!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I hope this friend list stuff doesn't impact games I wanna play. I guess I should feel lucky because, so far, no problems for me. Seems like such a weird glitch.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You would think that expanded friends list capability would be something required in the certification process.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So yeah, Metro Redux. What's the best difficulty settings to have the greatest experience? Not looking for crushing difficulty, just a unique playthrough.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AC4 eventually fixed their friends list bug. I've got 363 goon pals now so they better not make me purge again.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Zip posted:

ya here's a twitter convo explaining the issues with The Golf Club. :( https://twitter.com/thegolfclubgame/status/504408061206077440

So how is the game else the issues? I've had a golf game itch that hasn't beeen scratched in a bit & I'd be interested if The Golf Club seems worth it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
PS4 arrived, went out and bought Ground Zeroes instead of Second Son since it was $30 cheaper.

Can't wait to scratch my MGS itch.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

So what happened with the Infamous pre-orders that got cancelled? Mine is stuck in my download list - I can't queue it up because the pre-order failed but I also can't buy it because it says I already own it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Really thinking about grabbing the Metro Redux, but was just wondering if it's a "survivor horror" game like TLOU or if it's more of a cerebral kinda silent hill but with a gun or two, or more like DOOM3.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So how is the game else the issues? I've had a golf game itch that hasn't beeen scratched in a bit & I'd be interested if The Golf Club seems worth it.

The controls are pretty good. I'm not comfortable with how much wind affects the shot (or doesn't... ) I might just be used to Mario golf standards now so I'll need to adjust.

The controls do feel very close to Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

The great thing about the controls is that if you flow and your swing is smooth, just like real life, you tend to get a decent amount of power and control behind it... Also like real life though it is easy to shank it.

Putting doesn't feel right to me yet. I think part of this is I haven't played enough of it and the green condition (also like RL) plays a huge role in putting. Sometimes it seems like the hill and the shot flowed wayyyy too fast... Other times it is so slow I'm wondering if I'm playing in a flooded riverbed. I'm definitely struggling with putting.

There's no swing meter and there's a lack of a HUD and music which... actually makes the game feel much more authentic.

There's no micro-transactions so you aren't afraid of challenging that gently caress head who has a billion stat boosting Tiger Woods pins. You just... use your skill... and take your lumps.

The customization of characters sucks rear end. You have a choice of five characters and can change their clothes up a tiny bit... Don't want to wear a hat?
No gently caress you. You are wearing a hat.

Making your own courses is pretty loving simple and fun. I can't get as wacky as i would like (I think the weirdest is putting outhouses on the green) but, it is real easy to use and doesn't seem clunky.

When things go sour in a round and you're chasing the ball back and forth across the green watching your stroke count multiply... well that feels pretty normal to me lol.

So the tl;dr is: if you like golf games, and they fix the weird choppiness, you'll probably love this game. It will definitely take some skill to be great at it... And I doubt you'll ever master it... So, I think it is worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Really thinking about grabbing the Metro Redux, but was just wondering if it's a "survivor horror" game like TLOU or if it's more of a cerebral kinda silent hill but with a gun or two, or more like DOOM3.

Somewhere in between doom 3 and TLOU.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Honestly that sounds like a pretty subpar [hah!] game, overall.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
For those asking. Metro is very much a linear corridor shooter. No jump scares but an oppressive atmosphere and scary mutant are among the main enemies. Commies and Nazis shoot at you too. I highly suggest the ranger normal difficulty, rh is a bit too hard for a first play through. If I am wrong yell at me, but as a huge fan of the original 2033 and last light on an aging PC, I will double dip next year.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

I was sort of bummed to hear about the lack of character creation & lack of a true "career" mode, but I'm actually excited to learn that the controls have a bit of a learning curve. Will buy, I'm sure.

Oh, hey...lookee there: Just over a month 'til Driveclub is released.

:( I'm gonna' end up buying so many games from August-December.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Starting Sept 9th, there is only One Game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

NHL 15, the one and true game

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Harlock posted:

The demo sucks and makes me even more glad the only game mode I play was cut because the dev team is incompetent.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Harlock posted:

Pleads posted:

The demo sucks and makes me even more glad the only game mode I play was cut because the dev team is incompetent.

Just played the demo and couldn't agree more. Kills me because I really wanted to buy it with it's super sexy Bergeron cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

Starting Sept 9th, there is only One Game.

I agree! Which is why my wallet, my conscience, & my sense of personal responsibility are all wagging their fingers at me for pre-ordering Dragon Age, Shadow Of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Bloodbourne, et. al.

Truly a shameful goon. :ughh:

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread