Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Does the word "manager" make your left eye twitch involuntarily?

Nah, that's my title.

I do however run to the bathroom and vomit when the HR director calls me to his office for such emergencies as "it's cold in my office, what should I do?" or (and this is a new one this week) "my assistant's office has funny looking light switches, how do I know if the switch is on or off?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Put a label on it while it's on and that way you can tell.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Put a label on it while it's on and that way you can tell.

Or, maybe, just look up at the lights to see if they're on?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Or, maybe, just look up at the lights to see if they're on?

Which lights? Do you mean the Light Switch Position Indicators?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

That looks more like a horrible animal failure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That looks more like a horrible animal failure.

It's impressive how many parts simultaneously, but not catastrophically, failed due to the Sciuridobraking event.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The squirrel is more intact than the fork is. I'm surprised the spokes didn't just filet it.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

BraveUlysses posted:

We got a new senior manager and it sounds like they're going to expect us to 5S our desks, in the same (stupid) way.

I feel like I got fairly lucky with the 5S of my office. Basically instead of being an overly organized sorting and labeling event, it turned out to be a glorified throw poo poo out day. The net effect on me was near zero as I had already thrown out most of the stuff that I inherited with my desk anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Javid posted:

The squirrel is more intact than the fork is. I'm surprised the spokes didn't just filet it.

Cyclists and their fetish for lightweight parts that juuuuuust barely are able to do their job under normal conditions.
I'd be terrified to ride a bike that the SPOKES are stronger than the forks on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

torpedan posted:

I feel like I got fairly lucky with the 5S of my office. Basically instead of being an overly organized sorting and labeling event, it turned out to be a glorified throw poo poo out day. The net effect on me was near zero as I had already thrown out most of the stuff that I inherited with my desk anyway.

I would have at least 3 drawers labeled "Random poo poo". In truth, if not just to piss off the manager/meddler.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I nearly had this happen to me a month ago, but I had a split-second to start braking and ended up running over its head instead of having it go straight into my wheel.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

torpedan posted:

That sounds like our "lean 5s event"

The lean black belt guy got really confused when he noticed that we had an eyewash station that was obviously not connected in an office. When we explained that it was being used as a gong to indicate every time operations prevented us from doing planned work they were not amused.

It had been there for about 2 years and got tossed with a bunch of other stuff.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Cyclists and their fetish for lightweight parts that juuuuuust barely are able to do their job under normal conditions.

For real. My girlfriend insists on aluminum frame and carbon fork and takes that thing on trails. Steel frame all the way for me. Spending Pinarello money for a one-time-spill machine is bonkers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Darchangel posted:

Also, if the wheel had the full complement of spokes, this wouldn't have happened.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

szidev posted:

For real. My girlfriend insists on aluminum frame and carbon fork and takes that thing on trails. Steel frame all the way for me. Spending Pinarello money for a one-time-spill machine is bonkers.

Carbon components tend to be very strong, don't knock it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that that fork was already damaged or is on a $100 walmart special.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They do shatter like crackers, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They do shatter like crackers, though.

See: hockey sticks in the hands of a pro.

Carbon fiber seems like it stays super strong until it gets nicked or flexed repeatedly, the abuse makes a weak point and that's where it's going to fail.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EightBit posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that that fork was already damaged or is on a $100 walmart special.

It is a Trek:

Looking at the photos and the bike (a 2003 Trek 1000 is the best I can figure) that might not be CF fork: stock is aluminum alloy and the color scheme matches.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Couldn't tell the make from the one blurry picture earlier.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh I know, that wasn't intended to be snarky. It took a while to track down the other photos but I like a challenge like that.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

EightBit posted:

Yeah, they're strong, but I was more knocking them for the fact that they're expensive and when you eat poo poo and break one, you have to dish out for a new one instead of possibly salvaging it like you may be able to do with a steel one. Of course, steel isn't always recoverable, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to replace when you're as clumsy a rider as I am and inevitably crash. Wasn't trying to rustle any jimmies or anything.

Edit: Right after I replied I dropped my phone on my forehead. Maybe I'm just paranoid (and/or a cheapskate.) That video was pretty rad.

slip proof stairs fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 27, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well poo poo, that's disturbing. I've got a Trek 3-series (also aluminum frame). I guess I'll try not to run over wildlife.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have a pretty good amount of carbon on my bikes and don't worry about it at all, and if I had more money I would have even more bike stuff made out of it. MTB is a carbon frame with carbon bars and has nicks and scratches and had been dumped over a few times.

A crash that breaks a carbon frame is probably going to bend/crack any other material to the point of needing replacement anyway.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah this is more a trek failure than a carbon failure. I've got a trek top fuel 8 (aluminum frame + swingarm) that I've cracked the Evo link on (it's a solid forged aluminum piece) which was the warranty replacement for my previous Gary Fischer (also aluminum) whose swingarm cracked at a weld 10 months after purchase.

Stay away from treks (even though they did warranty the Evo link for free).

The aforementioned Evo link:

You can see it almost failed on the other side, too.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, that fork basically got slammed with a (mushy) hammer right on the weakest spot, and the force was definitely not coming from an expected, built-for direction. Lots of purpose-built tough things take a poo poo when stressed from unanticipated/unusual angles.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 27, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

See: hockey sticks in the hands of a pro.

Carbon fiber seems like it stays super strong until it gets nicked or flexed repeatedly, the abuse makes a weak point and that's where it's going to fail.

Delam is the true enemy of carbon fiber, but the method of layup, ply orientation, intended use and curing process all factor into how and when carbon will fail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How the material is compacted during cure factors hugely as well.

The only reason I'd be afraid of a CF bike is how they fail. I'd rather have a bike fold up a bit than have it abruptly shatter (rupture or delaminate, in technical terms) and jam a jagged, sharp carbon fiber piece into my leg. Carbon fiber itches about a million times worse than fiberglass, too, even if you aren't allergic to epoxy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Steel frame with carbon front fork is the way to go. Also a much smoother ride than carbon. Love my Vigorelli.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
mine is aluminum frame on carbon fork.

when it fell off the wifes jeep last summer the frame and fork were the only parts to survive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh, I ride a CF Specialized Epic and it doesn't really stick in my head about breaking.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Broken CF is pretty goddamned dangerous. Also CF dust.

I've had really bad luck with Gary Fischers (now owned by Trek), Treks, and Specialized. I've seen multiple broken welds/cracked frames on each one of those brands, and these are full suspension bikes that should be able to stand up to a few years of moderate trail riding.

I'm now in the market for a Kona, Yeti, or Rocky Mountain.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I feel like carbon fiber dust is going to end up being our generation's asbestos.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

call 1800-carbon-law today.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hah, basically! From what I've read the stuff is pretty drat bad for you.

I don't worry about CF breakages/failures. Asshats armed with shitboxes, thats the one to watch out for.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yet my neighbor has an old full suspension CF frame that is putting along just fine despite years of heavy use.

I agree though that the way in which carbon composites fail freaks me out. Steel, titanium, and to a lesser extent aluminum alloys will deform and convert a not insignificant amount of energy into heat when crashed hard but CF hits its (much higher) yield strength and that's all folks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

revmoo posted:

I feel like carbon fiber dust is going to end up being our generation's asbestos.

Either that or fiberglass. There's already a growing body of evidence that fiberglass is (while nowhere near as bad as asbestos) bad for you.

Basically any non-soluble foreign body, especially the kind that is sharp and digs in and causes constant scarring and irritation, is going to eventually cause serious damage. CF dust, fiberglass, silicates, asbestos, you name it.

The only difference is just how bad it is.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Either that or fiberglass. There's already a growing body of evidence that fiberglass is (while nowhere near as bad as asbestos) bad for you.

This is why I wrap my own heads for vaping with cotton.. granted silica is probably not getting loose and down the hatch, but better safe than sorry.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Broken CF is pretty goddamned dangerous. Also CF dust.

I've had really bad luck with Gary Fischers (now owned by Trek), Treks, and Specialized. I've seen multiple broken welds/cracked frames on each one of those brands, and these are full suspension bikes that should be able to stand up to a few years of moderate trail riding.

I'm now in the market for a Kona, Yeti, or Rocky Mountain.

I put a couple 100 miles on my Jamis Dakar full suspension trail riding daily for a few years back when I lived near trails. Gave it to my brother and it's still putting around just fine. I think the biggest thing about bikes is that if you don't spend at least a paycheck or 2 on them you get pretty lovely equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I bet that made a noise :v:

Nothing here for scale but its a (pile of) tire(s) from a Cat 773.