Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Applewhite posted:

Also, Mr. Aragones should thank his lucky stars he's Italian. If he lived in the US, Twitter and the Tumblrs would be all in a tizzy.

Aragones was born in Spain, and grew up in France, then later Mexico. He lives in Ojai, CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mister Beeg posted:

Aragones was born in Spain, and grew up in France, then later Mexico. He lives in Ojai, CA.

I stand corrected.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Applewhite posted:

Not sure what's going on in the divorce court comic. Is the husband getting leniency from the judge by showing him golf techniques?

All the husband cares about is golfing, so the wife is divorcing him. It turns out all the judge cares about is golfing, too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

If Comics Curmudgeon is to be trusted, Neil Flynn was not so much Tommie's boyfriend as a guy Tommie kissed one time at a party in 2007. That was the extent of the relationship. So... Arrogant, cruel, and a cheater. Yep.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aren't they supposed to be the smart kids?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gunther knows absolutely nothing about the culture, language or people of Peru. He's hosed. The broad will be fine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pvt.Scott posted:

Gunther knows absolutely nothing about the culture, language or people of Peru. He's hosed. The broad will be fine.

She apparently didn't even Google Street View the clinic. Or look at her uncle's photos. Or talk to her uncle about what the clinic is, where it is, and what it does.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Bringing Back Father!
This was an early parody from MAD, back when it was a comic book. From #17 (November 1954). Written by Harvey Kurtzman and drawn by Will Elder and Bernie Krigstein. This is a parody of the ancient comic strip "Bringing Up Father", which constantly featured the wife beating up her husband, all played for laughs. MAD makes fun of this by having Will Elder draw the silly, cartoonish panels, playing the domestic abuse for laughs. Then they switch over to Krigstein's art, who portrays the injuries in a much more serious light.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Ozy & Millie

Dang I'm pretty sure that Beatles lyrics one is a tumblr post these days. Also I'm pretty sure this Lyndon character never appears again.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Dana is a huge John Lennon fan, so Beatles references shows up in her strips from time to time.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Quite a while by my take. I'd say at least 3 months.

It's been like two weeks. The summer camp thing was new and a sequel to last year's summer camp storyline.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Never take anything in Inspector Danger as laziness/an abstract of comic design, nor should you take it as purposeful design. Clock face has no numbers? No, that's actually how it is. Masked robber has subtle features obvious through his disguise? No, the suspects were carefully rendered with different features just for fun! The clue is some other left field bullshit.

Your hat said "FAITH Mission" yesterday, you freeloading urchin. :argh:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Tales from the Duck Side

Don Martin Dept.

Spy vs. Spy

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Mister Beeg posted:

Sergio Aragones

(MAD #425, January 2003)

I see what he did there

Mister Beeg posted:

The Lighter Side of the Idiot Box (MAD #215, June 1980)

Man, remember back when VCRs was a technological breakthrough?

Or when it was called Pay TV? Anyway, the thing with Dave Berg comics is they were one of my major sources of reference on what postwar suburban NY was like. Also, even when these strips were current, yes, it was one of his stylistic trademarks that everyone would be wearing carefully drafted clothes that were at least ten years out of date. The cars and technology were always current, though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

They are, but they still only have high school diplomas. I'm not convinced Pitts High is a top school, either. Their valedictorian was Bernice.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Poptropica oh just kiss already.

All I can see is :yohoho:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 28, 1956)

Historical revisionism was a regular cottage industry in the Soviet Union, with Eastern Bloc historians bending over backwards to prove that Russia did everything first. They were claiming baseball as early as 1925 and as late as 1987.

Peanuts: Year One (March 29-31, 1951)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Moving on into April, 1988.

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

:corsair:

Ripley's

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

She apparently didn't even Google Street View the clinic. Or look at her uncle's photos. Or talk to her uncle about what the clinic is, where it is, and what it does.

Why would a hospital clinic of that caliber want, much less need to hire two un-experienced American high school grads? What, Peru doesn't have nursing schools?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

BigDave posted:

Why would a hospital clinic of that caliber want, much less need to hire two un-experienced American high school grads? What, Peru doesn't have nursing schools?

The girl's uncle runs the place. With enough nepotism, you don't need a good reason. I can speak from real life.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I just figured they were doing some sort of Peace Corps work study thing. Nepotism is better. Let's hope the employees at the clinic don't gossip as much as they do in Mary Worth.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Darren Bell sucks hard and out loud, but surprisingly he can produce the rare good editorial cartoon:

Those scary immigrant kids

Death of Maya Angelou

#BringBackOurGirls

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don't we have a separate editorial cartoon thread?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tunicate posted:

We do, but I think he's just using them as a palette cleanser for how awful Candorville has been this week.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
This is better than going to the editorial cartoon thread. There be horrors there.

Pickles: I've met these vegetarians.

Bleeker just implied school will kill Skip.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Previously, on Mark Trail...

what th-

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Can someone just explain to me what exactly is bad about that Candorville arc? People have been making GBS threads on it since he started it but it seems like it's been fairly respectful. :confused:

I remember when the Trayvon Martin thing happened the main problem was that he was using a dead kid as a mouthpiece for his political opinions (which I thought was a little silly, given "walking while black should not be a crime" is not a terribly controversial political opinion except among total assholes, but I can at least understand), but he didn't do that with Williams. It basically came off as "Robin Williams was a really rad dude, he will be missed, also, gently caress depression" which seems like a pretty okay thing.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

don Jaime posted:

This is better than going to the editorial cartoon thread. There be horrors there.

Funny thing is, sometimes I feel the opposite.

Granted, I have little interest/care in politics, which is why I rarely get pissed off.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Putting words in the mouth of a recently dead person and setting up each strip for a punchline is pretty gross.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kismet posted:

Putting words in the mouth of a recently dead person and setting up each strip for a punchline is pretty gross.

Yeah I think this is less gross than Trayvon week, but still pretty gross. It's just tacky as hell. Do a tribute, fine, but don't write every drat dead person of note in as a cameo so you can "agree" with "them".

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Previously, on Mark Trail...

what th-

Can someone add the gwen stacy snap to this?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oooo. Looks like he knocked out a premolar.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The annual Beloit College freshman mindset list came out today, and the one entry that stuck with me is that they don't know what the big deal is about Saturday morning cartoons. sigh. Old.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tunicate posted:

Dewgy posted:

We do, but I think he's just using them as a palette cleanser for how awful Candorville has been this week.

Kinda this, more to demonstrate how weird it is that Bell can be so tone-deaf in his daily and still hit some stuff out of the park with his editorial. Even his Robin Williams memorial cartoon is kind of understated as compared to the mawkish, lesson of the day, insultingly simplistic take of Candorville.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Hoover Dam posted:

I see what he did there

Yeah, Sergio likes to feature cameos of other cartoonists in his strips. Scott Shaw frequently appear in his strips (if you see a fat guy with a buzzcut wearing Hawaiian shirt, it's Scott). One "Groo" storyline featured a villain modeled after Al Jaffee, complete with the hairdo spelling out his name.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Kinda this, more to demonstrate how weird it is that Bell can be so tone-deaf in his daily and still hit some stuff out of the park with his editorial. Even his Robin Williams memorial cartoon is kind of understated as compared to the mawkish, lesson of the day, insultingly simplistic take of Candorville.

I'm not wild about his editorial stuff either, to be honest, but I realise the scale of quality for political cartoons starts somewhere in the nightmare zone.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dewgy posted:

Yeah I think this is less gross than Trayvon week, but still pretty gross. It's just tacky as hell. Do a tribute, fine, but don't write every drat dead person of note in as a cameo so you can "agree" with "them".

They're still terrible but at least he does his awful bullshit with his own one-note characters instead of awkwardly forcing his mawkish bullshit onto a legacy strip featuring characters created before he was born.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Why, Olive might have been killed during that delicate and complicated cyst operation!

Rex Morgan MD

I really like Rex's expressions a lot of the time. It's nothing big here and I don't know why I thought of that when I saw this strip in particular, but I think in general the artist does some good Rex looks.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Awesome Tom Eaton stuff

This is really loving good just judging from these few pages. It's like a mix of all the best stuff from Belgian and French and Heavy Metal (sans tits) comics, and I mean that in the very most flattering way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
Hey, good question, Peter! What does your spider sense even do? It can't detect falling bricks, but it goes off now for some reason? I mean, yes, Doc Ock is being really unsubtle about his plans to build an earthquake machine, but how is that a spider sense thing?

BC

Did it? There's no context for this, by the way, yesterday's strip is unrelated. :confused:

Big Nate

I always hated when they'd tell us to write down our goals in school. My goals were to go home and play video games, but apparently that wasn't an acceptable answer. I still have no idea what they actually expected of us.

Family Tree

You're against sunscreen? Really? :psyduck:

Ziggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Oh poo poo, Ziggy's being attacked by J. Geil!

• Locked thread