Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

I love the people who cut me off in a construction zone, slam on the brakes once they are around me, while we are on a downgrade, in a loving Pruis.

Like they are actively trying to trigger me and give me a stroke.

I've already sent out one Prius kill sticker to a goon, if you bring me a confirmed kill of another I will send you one as well.

You know you want some of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there vegan truckers

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CharlesM posted:

Are there vegan truckers

Probably. Might be a bit harder to eat on the road, but I bet you can do it, after all, there are Hindu and Sikh drivers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Knew a Somali guy who had a giant rice cooker belted into the passenger seat and just ate a fuckload of rice and steamed veggies. Every night. Sure would be cheaper and healthier than truck stop food...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's cool. Yeah eating on the road can be hard for veggie and especially vegans. Sorry I'm just stuck on hold and that question came into my head for some reason :P

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I love the people who cut me off in a construction zone, slam on the brakes once they are around me, while we are on a downgrade, in a loving Pruis.

Like they are actively trying to trigger me and give me a stroke.

All Prius drivers are hollow shells who subconsciously yearn for death's sweet release.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Probably. Might be a bit harder to eat on the road, but I bet you can do it, after all, there are Hindu and Sikh drivers.
There's quite a few Indian food buffets at independent truck stops and I'm tempted to try one or five, I'm just worried about a few hours later.

And no more beef jerky for me, thanks. That kidney stone while 4 states from home was a rude awakening.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The most meat I eat is Indian meat. Have you guys even been to an Indian buffet ? Its all chicken beef and goat. Indian people are the highest group in the world to have... gently caress whats that blood sugar disease where your feet fall off ? Drawing a blank due to caffeine withdrawal.

Hrmm maybe I will go out for butter chicken tonight.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jonathan posted:

gently caress whats that blood sugar disease where your feet fall off ?

Diabetes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LyaNgzy6U

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Gout?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thank you. How the hell did I even forget that? Not enough people dumping buckets of water about it I guess.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

The most meat I eat is Indian meat. Have you guys even been to an Indian buffet ? Its all chicken beef and goat. Indian people are the highest group in the world to have... gently caress whats that blood sugar disease where your feet fall off ? Drawing a blank due to caffeine withdrawal.

Hrmm maybe I will go out for butter chicken tonight.

Pretty sure you mean HOW not DOT Indians though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

There's quite a few Indian food buffets at independent truck stops and I'm tempted to try one or five, I'm just worried about a few hours later.

And no more beef jerky for me, thanks. That kidney stone while 4 states from home was a rude awakening.

Wonder why I'm still alive....

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Finally got my license! Turns out it wasn't california being incompetent. Someone has been stealing mail out of mailboxes on my street. Guess it's time to get a p.o. box.

I know this is really late to the discussion but for anyone wanting to get their cdl I highly suggest you look at your local technical colleges and see if any offer a course. I got mine this way in ga and it was free due to the Pell grant paying for it 100% and practically every one qualifies for that.

The problem with going through a company sponsored course is they own you until it's paid off via a time commitment. While for some this may work out, they typically abuse the hell out of you for the duration. Look at the turn over rates for the companies that do this, most if not all will be around 90 to 100% plus turn over. Unless you get lucky with a great carrier off the bat I can almost guarantee within 6 months to a year you will want to quit and move to a better company.

One last public service announcement, never ever under any circumstances let one of these companies talk you into a lease purchase agreement for a truck. They will rape you and leave you used up on the side of the road begging for food. You are taking all of the risk but gaining none of the rewards from owning your own truck. While some people make it thru, the majority are making way less cents per mile after everything is added up then you would at practically any company driver job.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shadokin posted:

Finally got my license! Turns out it wasn't california being incompetent. Someone has been stealing mail out of mailboxes on my street. Guess it's time to get a p.o. box.

I know this is really late to the discussion but for anyone wanting to get their cdl I highly suggest you look at your local technical colleges and see if any offer a course. I got mine this way in ga and it was free due to the Pell grant paying for it 100% and practically every one qualifies for that.

The problem with going through a company sponsored course is they own you until it's paid off via a time commitment. While for some this may work out, they typically abuse the hell out of you for the duration. Look at the turn over rates for the companies that do this, most if not all will be around 90 to 100% plus turn over. Unless you get lucky with a great carrier off the bat I can almost guarantee within 6 months to a year you will want to quit and move to a better company.

One last public service announcement, never ever under any circumstances let one of these companies talk you into a lease purchase agreement for a truck. They will rape you and leave you used up on the side of the road begging for food. You are taking all of the risk but gaining none of the rewards from owning your own truck. While some people make it thru, the majority are making way less cents per mile after everything is added up then you would at practically any company driver job.

PO Box is a great thing, also if you can find a post office that doesn't do rural deliveries, it's a lot cheaper to have one there.

As for leasing, Jesus H Christ, some companies are getting loving greedy as poo poo on them. If there is any way for them to gently caress you out of a nickel, they'll do it. Best one I've heard is them holding back on the fuel surcharge, like the company that is getting their poo poo hauled pays the company .55 cents a mile for the fuel surcharge, the company takes .10 cents off that for themselves, while you are paying for the loving fuel out of your pocket, then when you fuel, they don't pass on the bulk fuel discount to you. IE the listed price is say $3.95, cash price $3.90, bulk rate is $3.75, they just give you the cash price and pocket the rest.

I loving laughed when I heard that poo poo. I mean really? Come on. loving pass the fuel savings/surcharge along to the person, you know, BUYING THE loving FUEL.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've heard of them requiring that you get all maintenance and tires done at their approved shops, too. Which, well, was it Powershift or Interceptor that was running on loving shoddy rear end trailer tires as drives forever and couldn't get the company to do maint work ON THEIR OWN TRUCK without a million tries and harassing them? Imagine what they'll do when it's you leasing the truck and it's "your fault" if it breaks down.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

I've heard of them requiring that you get all maintenance and tires done at their approved shops, too. Which, well, was it Powershift or Interceptor that was running on loving shoddy rear end trailer tires as drives forever and couldn't get the company to do maint work ON THEIR OWN TRUCK without a million tries and harassing them? Imagine what they'll do when it's you leasing the truck and it's "your fault" if it breaks down.

Do not mock the R195 recap drive tires of death.

I think the only reason they finally got swapped out was the safety guy got tired of asking me about hard braking events.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I knew a guy once who ran XZA3s on all 10. Like on purpose, year round. Can't remember where he was running to before he signed up with the company I met him at, but it wasn't far enough south for that to be even remotely sane.
A couple winter runs stringing pipe with super Bs to Grande Prairie and I had him sold on some 711s though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

I knew a guy once who ran XZA3s on all 10. Like on purpose, year round. Can't remember where he was running to before he signed up with the company I met him at, but it wasn't far enough south for that to be even remotely sane.
A couple winter runs stringing pipe with super Bs to Grande Prairie and I had him sold on some 711s though.

Aren't those loving steer tires?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The best, smoothest and by a large margin the most expensive linehaul steer tire.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

The best, smoothest and by a large margin the most expensive linehaul steer tire.

That's what I thought. gently caress, aren't they almost $600 a pop? I don't even loving know what to say.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Do not mock the R195 recap drive tires of death.

I think the only reason they finally got swapped out was the safety guy got tired of asking me about hard braking events.

Just push the gauge down into the tire when you measure.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Pretty sure you mean HOW not DOT Indians though.

I seriously have no clue what this means. Ohhh like Natives versus People from the country India ? I meant the people from India. In Canada we call them Natives if they're the killed by Columbus type.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My trainer at swift said "when you get a truck, pay Schwab to align and balance it, gently caress trying to get the company to do it".

My one breakdown there was also immediately after a B-service where they signed off on the system in question being good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift runs his own truck I believe, hauling water.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

I seriously have no clue what this means. Ohhh like Natives versus People from the country India ? I meant the people from India. In Canada we call them Natives if they're the killed by Columbus type.

Really? I didn't know the 'beetus was down with them, in the US, it's like a huge problems with Natives.

Javid posted:

My trainer at swift said "when you get a truck, pay Schwab to align and balance it, gently caress trying to get the company to do it".

My one breakdown there was also immediately after a B-service where they signed off on the system in question being good.

Company monkeys are the loving best. They "fixed" a leaking steering box by powerwashing it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's what I thought. gently caress, aren't they almost $600 a pop? I don't even loving know what to say.

thing is, his cost per mile was really low because a steer tire is meant to deal with a lot more abuse than a drive is (more load, more lateral force, etc) so they'd last for loving ever. And he didn't put new on the drives, he'd just get new steers and move the pair back whenever there was an issue.
Apparently they were decent on ice (and incredible in the dry and rain) because of the little bit of siping the A3 has on the edge of each rib, but they were exactly as bad in mud and snow as you'd expect. His chains were well-used.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jonathan posted:

I find it astonishing that in 522 years the term Indians can apply to two groups of people and that this name stuck at all in the first place. This is pretty far off topic of course. I have no idea what Native / First Nations food is like though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I mean, we could call them by their actual tribe, but gently caress, who has time for that poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I have no idea what Native / First Nations food is like though.

Depends on where you are. Hope you fuckin' like jerky, but most modern native food is poo poo they learned how to make from the food relief boxes, so it's not "real" anyway.

Javid posted:

I mean, we could call them by their actual tribe, but gently caress, who has time for that poo poo.

Dude, we can't even loving agree on how our tribe's name is loving spelled. And I'm not even sure if our language is spoken at all by anyone. There was 15 times more people running the Boston Marathon than are alive left on all the tribal rolls nationwide, so I'm pretty sure if I'm not going to remember tribal names, nobody should have too.

Because then you have the assholes from different tribes stay on other land and being wankers too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
look at this loving cowboy, hauling heavy earthmoving equipment without wide load placarding/signs/flags

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

look at this loving cowboy, hauling heavy earthmoving equipment without wide load placarding/signs/flags

That jeep looks too new for you!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not my picture - I don't drive wranglers. :v:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Was wondering why the jeep wasn't one color on one side, another color on the other.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Mr. Jeep legos doesn't drive any Wranglers? :monocle:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kastein likes being able to haul around an entire replacement power train. You can only fit an engine and a couple of axles in a Wrangler.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Dodge 4.7s and Rover v8s fit just fine in the back of a TJ.

apparently a KX85 does too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InterceptorV8 posted:

We have the 100 mile air rule here as well.

You kind of have a 100mi air rule. Problem is local PD (not CHP) knows log books, but not 100mi.
I have represented a number of truckers charged with no log books where it was pretty clear they weren't driving anywhere near 100mi.
I would seriously recommend keeping a log even if you are doing 100mi to avoid this poo poo. It is a misdeamnor, which means a couple of court appearance to hopefully get a dismissal and once or twice and arrest and impoundment.
Or, you know, don't drive in socal.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nm posted:

You kind of have a 100mi air rule. Problem is local PD (not CHP) knows log books, but not 100mi.
I have represented a number of truckers charged with no log books where it was pretty clear they weren't driving anywhere near 100mi.
I would seriously recommend keeping a log even if you are doing 100mi to avoid this poo poo. It is a misdeamnor, which means a couple of court appearance to hopefully get a dismissal and once or twice and arrest and impoundment.
Or, you know, don't drive in socal.

Doesn't surprise me, at least for the most part NHP seems to kinda understand that poo poo since they deal with mine trucks and poo poo. You'd think California would get their poo poo together since they have a completely different set of laws for ag hauling than OTR.

Kinda surprised the officers don't get the poo poo sued out of them, but then again CHP is known for handing out tickets for trucks going slow up long grades.

I don't hardly drive in California at all anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Edit: nothing to see here

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread