Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMtM3QndW8&t=80s

edit: it's really the only thing from that movie that stuck in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Mister Fister posted:

:siren: "The other woman" (aka "S" in Zoe's Ex's blogpost) speaks:

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2eof3o/an_open_letter_to_zoe_quinn_from_that_girl_you/

See Citation 11 in thezoeypost if you don't remember who this is.

People keep on pouring kerosene into the fire i love it :allears:
yyyyep this is the tumblr post. poo poo is gonna start rolling soon

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMtM3QndW8&t=80s

edit: it's really the only thing from that movie that stuck in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L85WLhjQ84

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

FAROOQ posted:

zoe'll be fine. its not like her entire social network is kotaku journabloggers.

so long as there is a man in need of cucking zoe will never be in danger.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Suben posted:

so long as there is a man in need of cucking zoe will never be in danger.

Already getting offers!

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2ekx0e/im_zoe_quinns_ex_ama/ck1j6j9?context=3

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imTiRGLiEzI

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hey guys did you know that patreon is literally the same thing as giving a busker money on the street?

http://ungaming.tumblr.com/post/95872753745/this-is-the-story-of-a-music-journalist-he-was-a

people are really mad about Kotaku growing the tiniest shriveled gonad right now
I think there's an interesting discussion to be had re: whether or not the concept of having a bunch of smaller artistic patrons is inherently more prone to abuse than having a single large one. Granted, I'm not inherently opposed to the concept of patronage: any first year art student will be able to tell you that, as an artist, there's a constant pull between creating a thing you want to create and creating something because you want to sell it so you can support yourself. The former gives you integrity, the latter tends to pull you in the direction of appealing to the lowest common denominator (the art equivalent of, say, the Four Chord Pop Song). Most of the game devs I know claim that the some best games are made by college kids studying game design, if for no other reason than they don't have to worry about things like "are people going to pay money for this" because who cares who's going to pay for it because that's not why it got made in the first place.

On the other hand, because the money's coming from a bunch of smaller sources there's significantly less accountability. Ludovico Sforza could afford to go tell Leonardo da Vinci "Here's a bunch of money, go create something with it" in part because he knew that if Leonardo didn't come up with something, he'd be less likely to get similar deals in the future from other prospective patrons. "Give me money every month so I can worry more about the art I'm creating and less about where my next meal is coming from" sounds great in theory, but you're not actually paying them to make something, you're paying them to not starve so they can theoretically make whatever they want. More importantly, because the money is coming from a bunch of sources, there's little reason to care if one or two get uppity and start expecting results that never come. I'm going to give Zoe the benefit of the doubt and assume that, like most devs I know, she has dozens of projects half-finished that she plans to come back to eventually / is currently working on, but as far as I'm aware the only big accomplishment she's got is DepressionQuest. How much should that leeway should that buy her (or anyone, really) when it comes to future projects? Is it ethical to ask your established fanbase for one or two dollars a month out of each of their individual pockets, knowing that it's going to be nigh-impossible for them, collectively, to hold you to any kind of standard?

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 27, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
"The poster of this blog is S. From citation 11."

citation 11

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
JUDGE! In the court case of retard tumblr person vs. retard tumblr person, MAY I BRING UP CITATION 11? This cannibalization, as we all know is against the law, but my defendant has SUFFERED a massive PTSD and demands compensation for her loss in reblogs!

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Froghammer posted:

Art students are loving losers.

ftfy

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

jeffrey gerstmann is getting sassy on twitter right now about the whole thing maybe someone should look into them reviewing games that aren't bastion that they're friends with (borderlands, dance central etc etc(

Jeff has fans on all sides of the argument, not even 4chan or sa will question anything to do with his integrity. MRA's will go as far as to pretend that Patrick Klepek is posting unauthorised SJW dispatches from the blogosphere. And that the close relationships to small dev studios which they constantly bring up and invite on the show does not influence viewer's purchasing habits.
Don't criticise the thing that I like :cry:

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Is it ethical to ask your established fanbase for one or two dollars a month out of each of their individual pockets, knowing that it's going to be nigh-impossible for them, collectively, to hold you to any kind of standard?

Why is it desirable that you're held to a standard, or ethical. you just said better art comes from not being held to a standard

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Lone_Strider posted:

although I'm pretty sure the quotes should have been around the word journalists

edit: drat beaten pretty badly

I wonder if anyone on the Kotaku staff aside from Totilo actually has any kind of training in journalism.

edit: sorry, not sure if mentioning his previous journalism work (from the Kotaku bio page) is OK?

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 27, 2014

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Pawn 17 posted:

I wonder if anyone on the Kotaku staff aside from Totilo (who apparently co-created the reality show "Hogan Knows Best" as his career highlight) actually has any kind of training in journalism.

MMm... May I present to you, this video from Kotaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEiccW5l4Q

You know that dude popped a huge boner the whole time.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Lightanchor posted:

citation 11
If you care, here's citation 11.

tl;dr: S is a sadbrains chick who Eron was friends with, Zoe was 100% sure she was planning on cucking Zoe with Eron. Of course, Zoe couldn't stand the idea that someone could cuck her - she's the only one who is allowed to cuck people - so she throws a hissy fit and demands that Eron break off relations with her.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lightanchor posted:

citation 11

There are many failings of stupid nerd drama. However everyone agrees sloppy, scarce or imprecise citation are not among them.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Man, that's deep as gently caress, Rusty.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

all we are is dust in the wind

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

makes u think man, makes u think.

like what if all we are is dust in the wind, man?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

the world is so corrupt ;_;

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Cycloneman posted:

tl;dr: S is a sadbrains chick who Eron was friends with, Zoe was 100% sure she was planning on cucking Zoe with Eron. Of course, Zoe couldn't stand the idea that someone could cuck her - she's the only one who is allowed to cuck people - so she throws a hissy fit and demands that Eron break off relations with her.

I remember how we used to use the word cheating.

I cannot wait until these forums discover the "wearing the green hat" idiom.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I remember how we used to use the word cheating.

I cannot wait until these forums discover the "wearing the green hat" idiom.

marry, she hath given him horns *hits king with bladder on a stick*

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

tl;dr: S is a sadbrains chick who Eron was friends with, Zoe was 100% sure she was planning on cuckqueaning Zoe with Eron. Of course, Zoe couldn't stand the idea that someone could cuckquean her - she's the only one who is allowed to cuck people - so she throws a hissy fit and demands that Eron break off relations with her.

I got you

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
i've been engaged in gleaming the cube

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

in a way, it's really the fault of those 5 bloggers for putting zoe in this position. as gaming bloggers, they held institutional power over her, much like you see in a teacher student relationship. when you think about it, she was the one that was cheated on, which is close enough to rape to claim that she is the true victim in all of this

aaah i need to get my face punched in

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

okay i'll be honest that was a pro-click

it's not just that she demands he stop seeing his friend, it's that she hates him for making her feel like she demanded that of him, but also hates him for hanging out with her, and the only answer that would pacify her is for him to just say "she wronged you and i want to not see her again" like it was his own idea in the first place, despite the friend not doing anything to warrant it

it's some grade-A entertaining psychopathy

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
'Projecting' is Things Everyone Knows 101

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

gently caress the ROW posted:

gamerapist & journalisn't

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Lightanchor posted:

'Projecting' is Things Everyone Knows 101

wow, projecting much?

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

I like concept games too, which is why I was really unhappy with Gone Home and some of these other story-based games, like the Really Bad one at the center of this stupid poo poo. I really like the way you discover things in Gone Home, yet it completely failed to do anything with that. It's like a tech demo finished up and rounded off with an English major's lovely unpublished novella.

Yo, if you're looking for a similar type game with more gameplay, you should check out and research a lil diddy called Miasmata.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
yume nikki is the best art game because you spend hours wandering the boring, bleak surrealist mindscape of a depressed shut in and help her gather the courage to kill herself

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Forums Barber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9qlm8olmn0 47 second speedrun.

this spoils the plot, which is that you came home, nobody was there, and your sister ran away. It does skip the EXCITING PLOT TWIST that the person your sister ran away from home with is her lesbian girlfriend. 10/10

still a better game than Depression Quest, which as somebody said if you printscreened every page and stapled them together would lose no gameplay elements.

is this real

lol

is that the real plot, the one that all "game journalists" were slobbering about last year?

this loving hobby

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Yo, if you're looking for a similar type game with more gameplay, you should check out and research a lil diddy called Miasmata.

Thanks for that. Checked out the trailer on steam, looks like something I'd like but would never have found on my own.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcRXO5vVcRg

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Don Tacorleone posted:

this loving hobby

lmao

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

turnways posted:

okay i'll be honest that was a pro-click

it's not just that she demands he stop seeing his friend, it's that she hates him for making her feel like she demanded that of him, but also hates him for hanging out with her, and the only answer that would pacify her is for him to just say "she wronged you and i want to not see her again" like it was his own idea in the first place, despite the friend not doing anything to warrant it

This is nightmarish, I couldn't read all of it.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XpTz8mviM

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Tacorleone posted:

is this real

lol

is that the real plot, the one that all "game journalists" were slobbering about last year?
The people that liked it didn't slobber over the plot, everyone admitted there was no plot per se.

They slobbered over the meticulously detailed light switches, the convincingly written angsty teenage diaries, and the fact that you could pick up a cassette tape labeled "riot grrl mix" and put it into a boombox to play some 90's songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

turnways posted:

Jack of Hearts posted:

This is nightmarish, I couldn't read all of it.

Yeah, people with psychopathic tendencies are horrible 'friends' and 'partners.' It's insane what lengths they will go to just to manipulate, ostracize, and humiliate you just so they can keep you on a leash. They pray on all social weaknesses a person could have and exploit them for their own gain. If you even attempt to get rid of them they will put on puppy dog eyes and cry crocodile tears to, once again, pray upon any empathy/sympathy you have. The most horrendous part is that they will never been able to recognize their own psychopathy, therefore perpetuating an awful cycle.

I've had some experience.

• Locked thread