Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My personal favorites are vomit Iberia (seriously do any modders pay attention to how colors are organized in the base game) and Saharan Africa somehow being an even shittier place to play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Playing as a female ruler, if I make my husband Seer and send him to proselytize elsewhere, is that gonna prevent us from loving? Or does the game not care where he is.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

Playing as a female ruler, if I make my husband Seer and send him to proselytize elsewhere, is that gonna prevent us from loving? Or does the game not care where he is.
everyone reproduces via spores, literally the only things that can prevent pregnancies are jail cells.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

everyone reproduces via spores, literally the only things that can prevent pregnancies are jail cells.

Thanks. Though I guess I lose the spouse bonus to Learning if I make him seer? So there's not much point.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

God, is this the map where the Dalmatian islands are a county all their own?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Thanks. Though I guess I lose the spouse bonus to Learning if I make him seer? So there's not much point.

If he's twice as good as your next best seer, it's worth it because you get more of a bonus, but otherwise it's not.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of color vomit, is there anyway to change your color without changing your primary title? It's hard to see one's own borders when you wind up with land way out of your jurisdiction.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I don't understand the criticism of SMWH, it's an excellent map mod that gives enough representation to areas that Paradox doesn't even dare to touch, like Norway/Sweden/Finland having modern day borders in vanilla instead of being unpopulated; also that screenshot is really old because York has been divided into 4 counties by a very long time.

But I guess it's easier to say "ohhhh noooooo:qq: so many countries i dont understand" instead of putting effort.

Brutus Salad posted:

Man, how do you show all of that and not show completely unchanged Persia.

The devs always said that the vanilla eastern border was always sub-optimal, and the team had planned on pushing it eastwards before they even announced RoI. The next update will push the eastern border to Rajastan, which is actually a much more sensible choice than adding all of India, even areas like Bengal and the Deccan hills that didn't interact with Europe and the Muslim world at all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Truly, having even more bullshit in the Sahara and pixel-sized counties enhance the CK2 experience.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Looks like confetti

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh poo poo is that Ibiza as it's own county ahahahaahahahahaa

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Arrhythmia posted:

God, is this the map where the Dalmatian islands are a county all their own?

Each individual island is a 1- or 2-holding county, yeah.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If that mod was posted here and Goon Made there would be 12 pages of the regulars telling the author what monkey cheese improvements to add to it rather than folks making GBS threads all over it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Each individual island is a 1- or 2-holding county, yeah.

So do these mods typically up the demesne limit? Does it also limit how much you can earn from these smaller counties in terms of men and money, or does it figure it all balances out by everyone having more counties?

I can see why some people might like map mods like that, but man, its definitely not for me.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I think there being 6 different Italian cultures (2 of which are different flavors of Lombard) and no similar cultural variation anywhere else really has something to do with why goons don't like it much.

FWIW, as someone who talked a lot of poo poo about SWMH in the past, I think they've really improved it to something that could be good now that you can play the mod in English (unless you don't want to have your immersion ruined; learn to read Hungarian, scrub), but it could use a little more even-handedness with making the rest of the map diverse.

EDIT: at least it's not loving MEIOU trying to model the Channel Islands and Trois Eveches, so that's a start.

beefart fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If that mod was posted here and Goon Made there would be 12 pages of the regulars telling the author what monkey cheese improvements to add to it rather than folks making GBS threads all over it.

This is probably true.

This does not mean the county bloat is not dumb and ridiculous, but rather that communities are softer on their own creations than others.

Look at that map and tell me it does not look dumb as gently caress.

I miss CK2+ at its height, it was a great mod.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Some people just think higher numbers of everything is better.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So do these mods typically up the demesne limit? Does it also limit how much you can earn from these smaller counties in terms of men and money, or does it figure it all balances out by everyone having more counties?

I can see why some people might like map mods like that, but man, its definitely not for me.

Actually that's an "interesting" affect of it, you can force a territory to be more or less decentralized by turning it into more provinces with fewer holdings each or fewer provinces with more holdings each.

EDIT: that's basically the opposite of what they tend to actually do though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I Love Annie May posted:

The devs always said that the vanilla eastern border was always sub-optimal, and the team had planned on pushing it eastwards before they even announced RoI. The next update will push the eastern border to Rajastan, which is actually a much more sensible choice than adding all of India, even areas like Bengal and the Deccan hills that didn't interact with Europe and the Muslim world at all.
:what:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyas_Shahi_dynasty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahmanids

Granted, these are late-game affairs as far as CK2 goes, but the preceding Delhi Sultanate likewise made forays deep into India and the Ghurids at the very least took much of northern India and only stopped when they encountered some stiff resistance (and lots of diseases) in Bengal.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
SWMH has IIRC five counties in Iceland. Go to the 867 start in vanilla and look at the two counts there. Those two are essentially the first (Norse) settlers on Iceland. There's no goddamned reason for five counties in Iceland.

Also, Trois-Eveches is a saint and I won't hear a bad word against them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, how is Iceland going to work for the Charlemagne start anyway?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

After the End

Been having a blast playing as the Deitscherei, but ran into a persistent CTD in 2738. I've saved and reloaded numerous times, but it always crashes in August of that year. Anybody seen this?

error.log:

code:
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight  file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 73
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight  file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 90
[persistent.cpp:35]: Error: "Malformed token: martial, near line: 100
" in file: "history/characters/maritimes.txt" near line: 100
[persistent.cpp:35]: Error: "Malformed token: culture, near line: 148
" in file: "history/characters/maritimes.txt" near line: 148
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//coats_of_arms//dynasties2.tga.
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//coats_of_arms//dynasties3.tga.
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: .
Oh! Um, good catch! Turns out, two Maritimer rulers' wives didn't have defined dynasties and instead had unfinished "dynasty= " lines. That'll be fixed in the next release. If you want a quick fix for right now, open up [mod]\history\characters\maritimes.txt and comment out the "dynasty= " lines for character IDs 1899005 and 1899007.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Truly, having even more bullshit in the Sahara and pixel-sized counties enhance the CK2 experience.

Considering that the vanilla option for sub-saharian rulers is "you have only one option for expansion, fight the Almoravid/Fatimid clown car, and if you don't like it tough luck kid" adding some variety and alternate routes really makes a difference. Also, oasis countries in the Sahara make more sense than a civilized and swedish colonized Lappland in the IX° century.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
If you guys want to see a truly excessive micro-county mod, check out the War of Roses Mod. I was almost interested in it until I saw that kaleidoscope.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I Love Annie May posted:

I don't understand the criticism of SMWH, it's an excellent map mod that gives enough representation to areas that Paradox doesn't even dare to touch, like Norway/Sweden/Finland having modern day borders in vanilla instead of being unpopulated; also that screenshot is really old because York has been divided into 4 counties by a very long time.

But I guess it's easier to say "ohhhh noooooo:qq: so many countries i dont understand" instead of putting effort.

:goonsay:

I Love Annie May posted:

Considering that the vanilla option for sub-saharian rulers is "you have only one option for expansion, fight the Almoravid/Fatimid clown car, and if you don't like it tough luck kid" adding some variety and alternate routes really makes a difference. Also, oasis countries in the Sahara make more sense than a civilized and swedish colonized Lappland in the IX° century.

I completely agree about the northern wastes of Sweden and Russia should be just that in the game, but those screenshots are a loving abomination. I love adding detail to something, but 5 counties in Iceland? Ibiza as its own county? Are each of the islands in the Canarias its own duchy? Is there a Kingdom of Crete? I also agree that playing as a Sub-Saharan African is nonsense but there are other ways to fix that.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I completely agree about the northern wastes of Sweden and Russia should be just that in the game, but those screenshots are a loving abomination. I love adding detail to something, but 5 counties in Iceland? Ibiza as its own county?

In vanilla we have the counties of Corfu, Mans and even the island of Bornholm, hell Corfu is a thing in Europa Universalis IV, where it's OPM under Venice, so small to be almost unclickable, and Ibiza is what drives you up the wall? Admittedly, there are a lot of unnecessary counties and dumb things in SWMH, like Italy fragmented into 7 cultures but Germany is one huge monocultural block, but it's mostly because this mod is still a work in progress and the devs have to figure out ways to balance everything, so they don't present a broken product.

quote:

Are each of the islands in the Canarias its own duchy? Is there a Kingdom of Crete?

No, did you actually play the mod or are you saying whatever comes to your mind? The Canarias are one single Duchy just like Crete, exactly like vanilla. SMWH isn't as bad as you make up to be, if you gave it an actual chance instead of saying hysterical nonsense as truth, you might like it.

quote:

I also agree that playing as a Sub-Saharan African is nonsense but there are other ways to fix that.

There are only two ways to fix Africa: cut everything down the Morocco-Egypt line because everything below that line is unplayable, or create a line of counties from Ethiopia to Mali, with more routes to Mediterranean Africa where you can fight (which was totally a thing by the way). I'm not saying "Let's put 1000 provinces in the Sahara!!! Garamantes Empire!!!:byodood:" like in the 480 mod, but adding Kanem-Bornu and the Darfur area as kingdoms would be enough to give Sub-saharian Africa the representation it deserves, not to mention those countries existed during the CK2 timeframe. It beats the current mindset:"Pepole living in the Sahara? Crazy talk! Everybody knows nobody lived there until XIX° century!"

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 27, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I Love Annie May posted:

My computer would like to not die thank you very much. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I very much am in agreement with county creep being bad, but this map of Africa is a vast improvement over the vanilla map.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That something dumb is in the vanilla game isn't a reason to put up with more stupidity in the same vein :colbert:. Especially not in a game which is already a resource hog. I do not believe that random tiny islands add anything worthwhile to the game, so spending time to "balance" them is missing the forest for the trees. I don't care whether islands such as Bornholm, Jersey, Ibiza, Corfu or Krk were seperate holdings IRL, I care about their presence slowing down the game.

edit: that said, I suppose provinces that'll allow more interaction between West African and the rest of the game needn't be bad.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The SWIMH changes to Africa are awesome, so are the added wastelands to the middle east and scandinavia. It's the insistence on turning Europe into funfetti that drives me up the wall and makes it unplayable.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm surprised that people from the middle east haven't done their own brand of 'turning Europe into funfetti'. Or people from Africa.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

KOraithER posted:

If you guys want to see a truly excessive micro-county mod, check out the War of Roses Mod. I was almost interested in it until I saw that kaleidoscope.
Well, smaller counties are appropriate when the scope of the map is significantly reduced. That there does seem somewhat like overkill, though. Might be good if it had about half the number or so.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

One thing I wish you could do is tell an allied ruler that if he wants to get some of his de jure territory back that you'll have his back. Half of France was conquered by the HRE and I just want them outta my bros land.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cosmosisjones posted:

One thing I wish you could do is tell an allied ruler that if he wants to get some of his de jure territory back that you'll have his back. Half of France was conquered by the HRE and I just want them outta my bros land.

This will happen naturally if you beat down the HRE.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Brown Moses posted:

Has anyone ever reached 1150 with no holy orders being formed, and no crusades being called?

Yes. Had a game where I planned to unite the British empire and join all crusades. Spain is christian after 150 years (from old gods), Byzantines go nuts and beats the poo poo out the muslims. No crusades. Ended up stabbing my way into the reunification of the Roman empire out of boredom.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

Yes. Had a game where I planned to unite the British empire and join all crusades. Spain is christian after 150 years (from old gods), Byzantines go nuts and beats the poo poo out the muslims. No crusades. Ended up stabbing my way into the reunification of the Roman empire out of boredom.

I have the same problem, except I've just managed to marry the head of the Byzantium Empire, and thanks to my son from the first marriage managing to get himself killed without having any children our new son will get the Byzanitum Empire that stretches from Armenia to the eastern edge of Italy, and my mega empire that includes Britain, Scandinavia, and most of Eastern Europe.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I very much am in agreement with county creep being bad, but this map of Africa is a vast improvement over the vanilla map.

Yeah. I remember when they first announced Mali would be included, and I assumed there'd be some coastal provinces and you'd have to sail ships to even get to them. After many attempts at an Ethiopia or Mali game only to be frustrated by only having one real way to expand each, I'd definitely like an overhaul to Africa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I Love Annie May posted:

In vanilla we have the counties of Corfu, Mans and even the island of Bornholm, hell Corfu is a thing in Europa Universalis IV, where it's OPM under Venice, so small to be almost unclickable, and Ibiza is what drives you up the wall? Admittedly, there are a lot of unnecessary counties and dumb things in SWMH, like Italy fragmented into 7 cultures but Germany is one huge monocultural block, but it's mostly because this mod is still a work in progress and the devs have to figure out ways to balance everything, so they don't present a broken product.

No, did you actually play the mod or are you saying whatever comes to your mind? The Canarias are one single Duchy just like Crete, exactly like vanilla. SMWH isn't as bad as you make up to be, if you gave it an actual chance instead of saying hysterical nonsense as truth, you might like it.

There are only two ways to fix Africa: cut everything down the Morocco-Egypt line because everything below that line is unplayable, or create a line of counties from Ethiopia to Mali, with more routes to Mediterranean Africa where you can fight (which was totally a thing by the way). I'm not saying "Let's put 1000 provinces in the Sahara!!! Garamantes Empire!!!:byodood:" like in the 480 mod, but adding Kanem-Bornu and the Darfur area as kingdoms would be enough to give Sub-saharian Africa the representation it deserves, not to mention those countries existed during the CK2 timeframe. It beats the current mindset:"Pepole living in the Sahara? Crazy talk! Everybody knows nobody lived there until XIX° century!"

Corfu May be small but it would be difficult to represent it if you just smashed it into another province. Since Venice doesn't own any adjacent land. Keep defending that lovely mod if you want but you can at least stop flailing about.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Jedit posted:

I can't check right now, but if your plot is revealed don't the people participating in it also get the Dishonourable malus?

You should get a reason to arrest the person who revealed it for acting dishonorably. I'm talking about the opinion hit that comes with having your plot revealed. I believe it stacks if your plot fails multiple times. The wiki lists a hit for relatives of your target and a smaller one for people in the same realm. I believe the same realm can include yours, so if you're already having vassal opinion problems, bumbling plotters can make that situation a lot worse.

I could be mistaken though, and I might just be observing this in my kingdom because I'm killing a lot of family lines to secure my hold on the thrown.

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 27, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

When a plot I've concocted is revealed I will often make a point of tracking down that person after it succeeds and assassinating them. I think it stands as a lesson to all those who would defy my power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012
Regarding talk of no crusades. From a 1066 start it's 1106 now. The Levant is still in Muslim hands, pretty sure Byz hasn't gone down there at all.

• Locked thread