Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder if Anita will eventually move away from games or if she plans on sticking with games since that's where the money seems to be. She used to put videos out far more frequently right?

Anyway, I 'm looking forward to tropes vs women in anime.

edit: didn't realize she had a new video out, going to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh please, please, please.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

She used to put videos out far more frequently right?

According to wikipedia, since receiving $150,000 from her kickstarter 2 years ago for the project, she has released 6 videos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inco posted:

Tim Schafer tweets that Anita Sarkeesian's new video is something that everyone who makes games should watch from start to finish.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

See, though, she's also generated stuff like this.

The unfortunate "man covered in poo poo" fallacy. There are plenty of decent points to be made for and against her videos, but when one side is literally screaming rape and death threats at her all the time, it's hard to take any sort of position that might be construed as agreeing with those people.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have a game designer friend who was a pretty adamant feminist activist online but she pretty much gave up on it because, to quote, she "didn't want to be represented by shits like Sarkseesian and Phil Fish" by association. She's pretty sour on the whole thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Now this is something I could definitely support 100%.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 27, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trying to find a decent LP of Five Nights at Freddy's to see what it's like. After skipping past everything with a fake-scared/angry LPer with terrible facial hair staring at me from the thumbnail, this was the only one that was acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq4IQVos58

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Jamesman posted:

The only nerd rage I have towards Anita is her :effort: approach towards the whole thing and how much praise and money she gets for it. She is the DSP of feminism.

I wish other people would get out there and do the things she's doing, except much, much better.

She's doing what she promised, an introductionary level criticism of basic tropes within gaming from a feminist viewpoint. There is no other person with such visibility even doing half of what she is, if you want more advanced criticisms they are plentiful around blogs and twitter and have been for ages, so other people are very much out there doing what she's doing at a deeper level, but they aren't as visible. She did her thesis on feminism and popular culture, has been asked to talk at university courses and her blog has been around for a while and is well respected within the feminist internet presence so she's hardly the DSP of feminism.

Video games are a medium which doesnt have the benefit of age like films, music, books and art do. Other forms of media had already started the process of being analysed culturally before video games even existed, and have robust and in-depth critiques from many different perspectives. Video games are still a young medium, predominantly played by white men and without the benefit of decades of analysis under its belt. You cannot just jump straight in at the deep end, and when it comes to raising general awareness approaching the subject from a "feminism 101" standpoint is the best choice. Even then she still gets rape and death threats, which should show how ready the culture around gaming is for these discussions and why easing into it is necessary.

With the money, remember she only ever asked for $6k, and got given $150k. She's apparently been trying to make the videos worth that money from a production etc standpoint and they are definitely better produced than her pre-kickstarter stuff so v:shobon:v If she'd gotten all that money and had just put out stuff at the level she was planning for $6k she would've gotten flak for just taking the money and not doing anything with it so its really a lose lose situation. Take her time and try and make a better product? She's lazy what is she doing with that money??? Stick to her original plan? She's lazy what is she doing with that money????

edit: Case in point from above, you think people like this are really ready for a full on feminist or intersectional deconstruction of video games, the industry and culture surrounding it? They would explode:

Inco posted:

Tim Schafer tweets that Anita Sarkeesian's new video is something that everyone who makes games should watch from start to finish.

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 27, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

chitoryu12 posted:

Trying to find a decent LP of Five Nights at Freddy's to see what it's like. After skipping past everything with a fake-scared/angry LPer with terrible facial hair staring at me from the thumbnail, this was the only one that was acceptable.

As much as i hate to give views to the guy. Markiplier did an okay-ish job at it! At least the video quality was better than most other videos i could find and he did do a little bit of editing.

Mostly to him pretending to be freaked out when he's at the point where he mostly has the game figured out and it's not really scary anymore, but points for trying!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh man this guy is always funny. Not even sure why.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The bit where he tried to open and shut the door really fast to piss off the killer animatronic bunny had me in stitches.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the GameGrumps videos are pretty funny, especially when Arin gets excited and swears at the monsters whenever they scare him.

Uh...I guess you can say that about a lot of lets plays out there, but at least he sounds genuine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zain posted:

"Help wanted. Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Fa--all right I'll go gently caress myself."

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

"Help wanted. Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Fa--all right I'll go gently caress myself."

I gotta wonder if he scripts this poo poo out or if it's on the fly. Cause his sardonic tone and delivery really make it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This is the first video I've seen of this and I have changed my opinion of the game from "want" to "gently caress that, I'm good without Pop Scare Simulator 2014"

This guy is always pretty great though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Roar posted:

This is the first video I've seen of this and I have changed my opinion of the game from "want" to "gently caress that, I'm good without Pop Scare Simulator 2014"

This guy is always pretty great though.

Well I'm not much for defending horror games cause they are pop scare bullshit, but it's more of a resource management game with "scurry" elements.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If it wasn't for the pop scares, I'd probably grab it since it's only $5. But I hate pop scares on principle, and I don't enjoy getting startled by them any more than I enjoy some random rear end in a top hat hiding in my closet with a rubber knife.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

chitoryu12 posted:

If it wasn't for the pop scares, I'd probably grab it since it's only $5. But I hate pop scares on principle, and I don't enjoy getting startled by them any more than I enjoy some random rear end in a top hat hiding in my closet with a rubber knife.
Well make sure you never bring up the term pop or jump scares in the horror games thread in games; that was a can of worms that you wouldn't think would exist.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Please

I didn't even know I wanted to see this as much as I do until you said it. I would actually kickstart that video.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Well make sure you never bring up the term pop or jump scares in the horror games thread in games; that was a can of worms that you wouldn't think would exist.

Never even saw that thread. Time to find it!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems there's a hell of a lot more interesting female protagonists, sexualised or not, in anime than there is in gaming.* To me it's more important that the character is interesting than whether or not they're sexualized. Just off the top of my head for stand-out characters (no guarantee of quality or fan-service free) there's Madoka, Nanoha, Hidamari Sketch, Soul Eater and more. For gaming I've got some of the recent versions of the Mario princesses, Cloudbuilt, a few Dawngate characters and it's taken me twice as long to come up with fewer characters.

Gaming is getting better though, like with Hyrule Warriors which has drawn some ire. Sure, most of the playable female characters are "pretty", at least there's currently more of them than there are male characters with 8/5 female/male characters, none of which are copies of another character. There's also the next Super Smash Bros. which according to Smash Bros official site is currently at 24/11 m/f, not counting the Pokemon or Mii Fighters as either and counting Robin and the Villager as both, compared to the 28/5 of Brawl, 17/4 of Melee and 9/1 of 64. That counts for quite a lot in my book when there's so many games with multiple player characters that never even reach a 66/33 split male/female (which even SSB can't quite get over, even if it's better than previously). Like Left 4 Dead and it's many knockoffs, all of which are 3/1 m/f parties.

While all I'm listing above is a few numbers, and nothing significant enough for any serious discussion, it's hard to get interesting characters if the representation just isn't there. There's a lot of poo poo female representation in anime*(again, yes) but there's also a good amount that isn't, a lot more than I've come across in gaming anyways.

*And no, hentai doesn't count. Do sex games count when you're talking about gaming, or erotica of any kind when talking about any medium?

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 27, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

chitoryu12 posted:

Never even saw that thread. Time to find it!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165 to make your search easier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
More like poop scares, right guys? :smuggo:

But on the subject of Anita Sarkeesian, I had a lot of words written up here but my closing statement sums it up perfectly: She was paid too much, does too little, attracts the ire of idiot gamers, idiot anti-feminists, AND the more intelligent feminists for her disproportionate pay and work.

A thing I personally found wrong with her videos is that she also attacks harmless things that are a matter of taste or tradition more often than she targets the more harmful examples of the exact same thing that actually show what's wrong. Furthermore, someone's already said it earlier, but she has little, if any, experience with many of the games she cites as examples for either side of things. If anyone is going to come up with a good, convincing set of videos along that line, it's not going to be her. I don't believe that the answer to the problem is "force a game to exist where the roles are reversed because there aren't enough".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Onean posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems there's a hell of a lot more interesting female protagonists, sexualised or not, in anime than there is in gaming.* To me it's more important that the character is interesting than whether or not they're sexualized. Just off the top of my head for stand-out characters (no guarantee of quality or fan-service free) there's Madoka, Nanoha, Hidamari Sketch, Soul Eater and more. For gaming I've got some of the recent versions of the Mario princesses, Cloudbuilt, a few Dawngate characters and it's taken me twice as long to come up with fewer characters.

Pretty much all those things you named are at least partially pandering to creepy otaku though. There are more female main characters than in games, but very often it's for purposes that are quite the opposite of empowering.

quote:

Gaming is getting better though, like with Hyrule Warriors which has drawn some ire. Sure, most of the playable female characters are "pretty", at least there's currently more of them than there are male characters with 8/5 female/male characters, none of which are copies of another character.

You sure? I haven't counted, but I think the reveal of 'dorf and other villains as playable may have balanced it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Motto posted:

Pretty much all those things you named are at least partially pandering to creepy otaku though. There are more female main characters than in games, but very often it's for purposes that are quite the opposite of empowering.

Nanoha sure, at least the original series. A's and the two movie remakes (StrikerS wasn't very good, in any way) are much better in that regard. That also doesn't change the fact that even with the fan-service bits the characters are still more interesting than most women in gaming. The other series we'll have to agree to disagree on though, I don't think they're really aimed at creepy otaku.

quote:

You sure? I haven't counted, but I think the reveal of 'dorf and other villains as playable may have balanced it.

According to ZeldaWiki that's not the case, and Game Informer has the playable characters as the same list:

Male
  • Link
  • Zant
  • Darunia
  • Ghirahim
  • Ganondorf
Female
  • Impa
  • Zelda
  • Midna
  • Agatha
  • Lana
  • Fi
  • Princess Ruto
  • Sheik

5 Male and 8 Female characters.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 27, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cheez posted:

More like poop scares, right guys? :smuggo:

But on the subject of Anita Sarkeesian, I had a lot of words written up here but my closing statement sums it up perfectly: She was paid too much, does too little, attracts the ire of idiot gamers, idiot anti-feminists, AND the more intelligent feminists for her disproportionate pay and work.

A thing I personally found wrong with her videos is that she also attacks harmless things that are a matter of taste or tradition more often than she targets the more harmful examples of the exact same thing that actually show what's wrong. Furthermore, someone's already said it earlier, but she has little, if any, experience with many of the games she cites as examples for either side of things. If anyone is going to come up with a good, convincing set of videos along that line, it's not going to be her. I don't believe that the answer to the problem is "force a game to exist where the roles are reversed because there aren't enough".

Has anyone who actually paid her ever complained that they did not get what they paid for? It always seems to be people who didn't that show concern about just how much money she was given, like they're mad that someone was given money and it wasn't them

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Wow, that is much better than the video of myself and some friends messing with a dude we knew who was playing it for the first time. Kudos for bringing this into my life.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 27, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Rita Repulsa posted:

Has anyone who actually paid her ever complained that they did not get what they paid for? It always seems to be people who didn't that show concern about just how much money she was given, like they're mad that someone was given money and it wasn't them

Who knows, but it's not that they weren't given the money, it's that the money is just not getting used. For all the money that was given to her to do so little, it's just not being used.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Well considering it was via Kickstarter I don't think she had any real input on how much people gave her. It's sort of like if someone started a Bejeweled clone or something and asked for like a thousand dollars. Well then a bunch of people got it in their head that this was going to be something big and then it earns ten or twenty times that. Well now what is the guy going to do? Bloat up the thing with a bunch of features that he's not sure how to even get working right or try to go out of his scope to match the money and probably cause the drat thing to fall into Kickstarter purgatory? Or do all things he was going to do in the first place, clean it up a bit and pretty it up a bit more than he thought he could and release it as it was going to be advertised? I mean yeah, you might have pumped a bunch of money into it, but there was a reason it was originally only a thousand.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Zain posted:

Twenty seconds in and this is amazing. He could do an audio book and I would buy it.

Edit: gently caress, he started putting emotion into his voice a minute in and it got creepy. There goes his book deal.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

chitoryu12 posted:

God, not all of the videos are winners, but if I wanted dumb game videos to laugh at and not take seriously, this guy seems to be it. And man what I wouldn't give to see this one he did get the Retsuprae treatment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBnWHx8QiQ

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Didn't he get RP'd during the retsublitz? They took the video down but I'm pretty sure that it happened.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cheez posted:

Who knows, but it's not that they weren't given the money, it's that the money is just not getting used. For all the money that was given to her to do so little, it's just not being used.

She asked for 6k to make a youtube series and got given 150k instead, its not like she asked for tens of thousands in the first place, and its not really like you can do much to make a youtube series more expensive without straight up wasting money. The videos are her talking to a camera with some editing to put in video game clips, pictures etc, there is not really much for the money to be used on, although its obvious she has been trying to improve them with the extra cash when comparing the production values to her older videos.

I think its more that people are annoyed that someone got given more money than they expected to make youtube videos, and by misunderstanding what kickstarter is for, some how assume that because she got way more than her target she is somehow obliged to use that extra money to make an epic series rather than making what she had originally planned. The original project even mentions that each video will take a while to produce, yet somehow people (who 99% of the time didn't help fund the thing) still get mad because a thing she said would happen from the start, has happened :psyduck:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stux posted:

She asked for 6k to make a youtube series and got given 150k instead, its not like she asked for tens of thousands in the first place, and its not really like you can do much to make a youtube series more expensive without straight up wasting money. The videos are her talking to a camera with some editing to put in video game clips, pictures etc, there is not really much for the money to be used on, although its obvious she has been trying to improve them with the extra cash when comparing the production values to her older videos.

Wait wait wait, whoa. Are you loving kidding me? Her kickstarter garnered her $150,000 to create a YOUTUBE series....hahahaha. gently caress, I take back all the bad things I've said about weird, seemingly pointless kickstarters. If people seriously have that much money to fork over for...no-count bullshit, I say more power to the person starting the KS, pretty much regardless of what it is.

Time to start up my Burger Kickstarter. Goal: $1000. For every $10 donation, you get an awesomely grilled burger, JUST FOR YOU. Stretch goal: $10,000. I make enough French fries to send to everybody that donates $10 or more. LET'S MAKE THIS WORTHY CAUSE TO FEED AMERICA and other countries ,(and line my pockets), WITH BURGERS HAPPEN GOONS.

BMS fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 27, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

BMS posted:

Wait wait wait, whoa. Are you loving kidding me? Her kickstarter garnered her $150,000 to create a YOUTUBE series....hahahaha. gently caress, I take back all the bad things I've said about weird, seemingly pointless kickstarters. If people seriously have that much money to fork over for...no-count bullshit, I say more power to the person starting the KS, pretty much regardless of what it is.

Time to start up my Burger Kickstarter. Goal: $1000. For every $10 donation, you get an awesomely grilled burger, JUST FOR YOU. Stretch goal: $10,000. I make enough French fries to send to everybody that donates $10 or more. LET'S MAKE THIS WORTHY CAUSE TO FEED AMERICA and other countries and line my pockets WITH BURGERS HAPPEN GOONS.

What the gently caress is this post.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Afraid of Audio posted:

What the gently caress is this post.

It's a 5:30am attempt to poke fun at the ridiculous amount of cash people are willing to spend on a Kickstarter for something as all important as a damned YouTube series.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMS posted:

Time to start up my Burger Kickstarter. Goal: $1000. For every $10 donation, you get an awesomely grilled burger, JUST FOR YOU. Stretch goal: $10,000. I make enough French fries to send to everybody that donates $10 or more. LET'S MAKE THIS WORTHY CAUSE TO FEED AMERICA and other countries ,(and line my pockets), WITH BURGERS HAPPEN GOONS.

You must've missed the kickstarter of the guy who wanted to make a potato salad. Original goal? $10 End result? $55,492.

If only we could fix the economy this way...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

She's planned for 12 episodes in total from an original five. I assume the Damsel in Distress parts 1 to 3 and Background decoration parts 1 & 2 only count as one episode each. It seems like there's going to be a lot more content out of this. Here's the full list:
  • Damsel in Distress - Video #1
  • The Fighting F#@k Toy - Video #2
  • The Sexy Sidekick - Video #3
  • The Sexy Villainess - Video #4
  • Background Decoration - Video #5
  • Voodoo Priestess/Tribal Sorceress - Video #6
  • Women as Reward - Video #7
  • Mrs. Male Character - Video #8
  • Unattractive Equals Evil - Video #9
  • Man with Boobs - Video #10
  • Positive Female Characters! - Video #11
  • Top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games - Video #12

It takes ages though for each video as it appears she is actually playing the games and doing research. Though apparently she might not get to finish the whole game. She mentioned Bayonetta being a single mother, which is understandable considering it's only revealed who Cereza really is in a horrible plot dump late in the game.

Also yeah Kickstarter should have some sort of cutoff once it hits it's goals. $150,000 is a insane amount for a web series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

It takes ages though for each video as it appears she is actually playing the games and doing research. Though apparently she might not get to finish the whole game. She mentioned Bayonetta being a single mother, which is understandable considering it's only revealed who Cereza really is in a horrible plot dump late in the game.

So what you're saying is her videos would come out a lot faster if she watched LP's? :v:

• Locked thread