Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Maybe Nibbles is useless :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

atomicthumbs posted:

Maybe Nibbles is useless :smith:

What was his build? Skill levels etc?

edit: Wait, don't answer, you still have a chance to make it to the playoffs.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't think Nibbles in useless. Just bad luck in the match, he's got a good build.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

Also, is there any chance of adding something to the website whereby we can build fighters and download their macros separately from a tournament? It would be really handy.

my dad posted:

Seconding. I was going to ask for this once the tournament's over.

It's on the list of features to add, but I'm not sure if it will make it in before the next tournament.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's on the list of features to add, but I'm not sure if it will make it in before the next tournament.

Could we somehow download old fighters macros from other players?

I was testing against my tiger and serpent man from previous tournaments.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Armor! :argh:

PedAnt_CPFS punches Urist McTantrum_PH in the fourth toe, left foot with its first right hand, shattering the nail and bruising the fat through the small steel high boot!

Should have gone with a pugilist build.

Reverence fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 26, 2014

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It is almost time for the least anticipated fight of the round, judging by betting interest.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

:stare:

I know this is back a bit, but... what the gently caress just happened? I was pretty sure we were going to lose that, even at the point where a completely paralysed Paper Machete was crawling towards my unharmed archer.

I must presume this was one of those one-in-a-hundred incidences where the RNG gods smile, and any other test with these two teams ends up with Catholicism being wiped from the face of the Earth, right?

Also, fantastic commentary there, ZeeToo. Had me on the edge of my seat. Congratulations to my Cardinals (how the hell did Aspenger get back up?), and well-played to Four Legs, Four Arms, No Pants for making that an absolutely thrilling match.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Could we somehow download old fighters macros from other players?

I was testing against my tiger and serpent man from previous tournaments.

I guess there's no harm in showing the builds of retired fighters if everyone is okay with it although I never did get around to back-loading the items and skills of fighters from the 2nd tournament :ohdear:

The main reason they are still hidden is to allow for the possibility of a special "Tournament of Champions" at some later time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, since it's a test tournament, we kinda should see the stuff at the end.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Well, since it's a test tournament, we kinda should see the stuff at the end.

Makes perfect sense, everyone should know what they were testing against. The primary question is how to model something like that, and how it impacts the rest of the back-end code.

I'll probably go with adding a "Globally Visible" flag to fighters that gets set after they participate in a tournament in the test league, which would allow everyone to see the fighter's skills and items and download the macro.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Who is running next one? I am all antsy for more tournaments where I have more dwarfbucks.

gently caress it I will start my own tournament with beer and hookers and no Bad Munkis allowed. Jazz, can you build me a website please

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We must not reveal Knuckle Dragger's dark secrets. It is a step in this arms race for which the world is not prepared.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The anticipation is hopefully killing my opponents.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am all antsy for more tournaments where I have more dwarfbucks.

This brings up a good point. How will running our own tournaments work? Was that covered already and I am just an idiot? We were supposed to be able to use your site, right Jazzimus?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Coward posted:

I know this is back a bit, but... what the gently caress just happened? I was pretty sure we were going to lose that, even at the point where a completely paralysed Paper Machete was crawling towards my unharmed archer.

I must presume this was one of those one-in-a-hundred incidences where the RNG gods smile, and any other test with these two teams ends up with Catholicism being wiped from the face of the Earth, right?

I'm against running it multiple times during a tournament, personally, even a test, so I'm not going to state definitely that either team was certain to win it unless there's an outcry for me to do so.

What happened is fairly simple, in the abstract: Dwarf Fortress injuries are not modeled through any 'ablative' defense like HP. Any given attack can be instantly decisive. Both sides had multiple 'turnaround' moments that shook up the obvious narrative.

If I had to wager a guess, yeah, Catholicism probably wouldn't win that one more than 50% of the time, but they were not only lucky ones there. I've never seen an archer whose shots went off course more than The Pope. Given a more normal accuracy, she could have contributed more early on. In fact, if I had to pick an MVP, it would be Aspenger. Cutting up Spermy and Love for them to bleed to death later, and suffering so many head blows while unconscious, was impressive. In fact, it's only in combination that that saved the day. If Spermy hadn't lost both arms, if Love had stayed conscious any longer, if Aspenger's helmet had allowed an early deathblow in, Catholicism could have been wiped, easy. On the other side, it wouldn't have taken much worse luck for FLFANP to have been obliterated quickly. Better early archery, a body check that stunned Love before she hurt Aspenger or an early injury to Paper Machete that made him pass out (elves seem pretty wussy about this) all could have led to them getting crushed badly.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Who is running next one? I am all antsy for more tournaments where I have more dwarfbucks.

I would, but it's my fight. :v: I can run the last two over the next day or so if someone gets this, though.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Silverminnow posted:

This brings up a good point. How will running our own tournaments work? Was that covered already and I am just an idiot? We were supposed to be able to use your site, right Jazzimus?

Excellent question! I never really explained this.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it's necessary to explain how it's implemented now (IF YOU DON'T PLAN ON RUNNING A TOURNAMENT IN THE FUTURE FEEL FREE TO SKIP ALL THIS):

- I can create new leagues.
- I can set new league-specific rules in any league (i.e. points starting by fighter race, item costs, skill costs, etc., etc.).
- I can start a new season/tournament in any league.
- I can appoint commissioners for that season/tournament, and their tenure lasts for that season/tournament.
- Any commissioner appointed for that season can run fights for that season.
- I am the only one who can give the green light to start the next round of the tournament once the previous round is over.

But here's how it's going to be implemented later... however, there's still more code that needs to be written to make this part happen:

- I'll still be the only one who can create new leagues.
- I'll be able to appoint one or more (but generally only one) "League Administrators" to each of these new leagues.
- A League Administrator can set the rules for his/her league (i.e. points starting by fighter race, item costs, skill costs, etc., etc.)
- A League Administrator can start a new season/tournament in his/her league.
- A League Administrator can appoint his/her own commissioners for a given season/tournament, whose tenure lasts for that season/tournament.
- Any commissioner appointed for that season can run fights for that season.
- Only League Administrators can give the green light to start the next round of a tournament once the previous round is over.

The biggest thing standing in the way of this at the moment is that a lot of the administrative interface hasn't even been built yet! I have to work with the database directly using database-language (SQL) in order to appoint commissioners, set new rules, etc. Once the admin interface is built out that won't be an issue.

edit: Admin Interface notes: The one part of the admin interface that has been built is the part where you start a new tournament. Administrators can specify the parameters for a new tournament, and these parameters currently include the following:

- Is the tournament one-on-one fighters, or teams?
- If teams, how many fighters per team? (up to 5)
- Is it just the tournament, or is there a "regular season" or "pool play" type thing to qualify for the tournament?
- If there is a "regular season" or "pool play", how many divisions will there be?
- How many fighters/teams will there be in each division?
- How many of these fighters/teams will qualify for the tournament?
- Is the tournament single-elimination, or double-elimination?
- Will the tournament have a third-place match (a "Bronze Medal" match), or not?

Right now, the site automatically builds a schedule based on the parameters chosen by the administrator.

Some future parameters I intend to include:

- If there is a regular season/pool play, will it be short (i.e. World Cup style, where you only do a round robin within your division like the current tournament), or will it be long (an NFL-style season where you round-robin twice within your division and also take on fighters or teams from other divisions)? I intend to have this option in place for the next tournament.
- Allow an option in playoffs to require best 2 of 3, best 3 of 5, or best 4 of 7 in order to advance, in order to try to take luck out of the equation! (This feature probably won't be ready for quite a while.)

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 26, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

I'm against running it multiple times during a tournament, personally, even a test, so I'm not going to state definitely that either team was certain to win it unless there's an outcry for me to do so.

I would, but it's my fight. :v: I can run the last two over the next day or so if someone gets this, though.

Lucky for you, I don't feel the same! I ran it a few more times because I was so drat sure it was going to be an easy victory for our team. Catholicism won one, got mopped up pretty easily the rest of the fights. That's how the RNG goes so not saying I want a rematch or anything, I was just curious.

I will run the fight in a few hours unless anyone else wants to?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Regardless of my team's repeated deaths, I'll be repeating this build come actual tournament time. Shortlived consistently got kills.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I was thinking of going ant-archer again for the real tournament, but between the slowness of archers and the absolute destruction that punching has been, I might have to revisit some alternative plans...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Sorry, I have a system down thingy today, I may not be able to run the fight till this afternoon.

loving Fairpoint :argh:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tease!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am sorry for the delay, real life bent me over today. I promise to have a fight up about 13 hours from this post unless someone else wants to run it. Go ahead if anyone else wants to, I can't do any earlier.

Sorry all

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You are a disappointment.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You sound like my parents. And my wife.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The world is filled with regret, and you are at the center of it all.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

:argh:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

You put a ton of work into this, Jazzimus. :)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Spermy Smurf posted:

You sound like my parents. And my wife.

I guess that's the price of marrying your parents.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am sorry for the delay, real life bent me over today. I promise to have a fight up about 13 hours from this post unless someone else wants to run it. Go ahead if anyone else wants to, I can't do any earlier.

Sorry all

I got this, gimme a bit and I'll have the fight up.

Fight below!

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
:siren: Test Tournament, Round 3, Match 6 :siren:

On the left from top to bottom, the Minotaur Mites, featuring Grimdark the Smiley the Kobold managed by perpetulance, MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior the Minotaur managed by ZeeToo and Gnomelette the Dark Gnome managed by Maugrim.

On the right from top to bottom, Meat and Two Veg featuring TreeLoved the Elf managed by Bene Elim, Compost Day the Elf managed by Ramc and Onan the Human managed by Afriscipio.

The fighters line up and the fight begins!

Grimdark the Smiley begins the fight by letting loose an arrow. Many fights begin this way but will this arrow make a difference?

The metallic arrow finds it's home in Compost Day's left lower leg, dropping him to the ground!

After the successful arrow the remaining standing fighters make their way quickly to the center of the ring. After a brief initial scuffle between the fighters MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior charges at TreeLoved but the Elf manages to leap out of the way! TreeLoved takes advantage of the situation and stabs MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior's right upper arm, doing enough damage to make the Minotaur drop his shield! TreeLoved presses the advantage by stabbing MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior in the neck causing damage to the upper spine. MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior has had enough however and charges at TreeLoved again, this time bowling the Elf over backwards!

(Note that Treeloved is the "e" north of the "M" and the other "e" is Compost Day still crawling around the battlefield after getting shot in the leg by Grimdark the Smiley)

Soon after Grimdark the Smiley looses another arrow into the fray, this time aimed at Onan!

Unfortunately for Grimdark the Smiley (but fortunately for Onan) the shot goes wide and clatters harmlessly on the southeast wall of the arena.

At the same time the arrow clanks against the wall Compost Day stabs Gnomelette in her left upper arm with his sword. This severs her motor nerve and she drops the whip she was carrying to the ground. Soon after the scuffle between TreeLoved and MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior makes its way close enough to Compost Day for the Elf to stab MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior in the right lower leg, bringing the hulking Minotaur down to ground level.

TreeLoved decides to scratch MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior in the head deep enough to bruise muscle. This stuns the Minotaur for a moment, long enough for Compost Day to cut off his foot! TreeLoved continues the two on one assault by stabbing MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior in the left upper arm, causing the Minotaur to drop his hammer. Compost Day, now more level with the Minotaur's head slaps MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior so hard with the flat of his sword that MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior's skull fractures. TreeLoved takes a turn and stabs MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior in the left lower leg with his spear, chipping bone. MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior finally passes out from the pain, and after a stab from Compost Day in the head, TreeLoved finally ends the Minotaur's life by splitting it's skull in two. MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior dies just in time for Grimdark the Smiley to shoot his third arrow.

This arrow connects... kind of. It skims one of Onan's toes on his left foot!

Compost Day, perhaps wishing he were a hammer-elf instead, smashes Gnomelette's left foot with the flat of his blade crushing it completely. Gnomelette falls to the ground and gives into pain from that single blow!

After several merciless stabs and smashes to Gnomelette's lungs and other organs TreeLoved nearly cuts the Dark Gnome in half with a spear stab, finally ending it's life. This gives Grimdark the Smiley enough time to loose another arrow into his enemies.

This time the arrow connects solidly with Onan's left upper leg, bringing him to the ground! Unfortunately for Grimdark the Smiley not all of the melee fighters are grounded. It takes only a few swift steps before TreeLoved is standing right in front of him.

TreeLoved simply waits for Grimdark the Smiley to notch another arrow. Grimdark the Smiley looses the arrow at point blank range and TreeLoved calmly but quickly blocks his arrow with his shield. The Elf immediately finishes the job with a clean stab through the brain with his spear.

Kills: TreeLoved - 3

Combat Log

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Aww, my long shot bet on Minotaur Mites turned out to be exactly that :smith:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That first arrow was pretty good but the frontliners weren't able to capitalize on it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, that was terribly expected.

I'll work on at least one more fight tonight.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Woo! Go murder elf, go!

Very happy this is a team contest, or Matchlessidealsublimewarrior Matchedimperfectsubparpunchbag might have caused some trouble.

I'm going to see if I can run the last fight or two today (assuming ZeeToo hasn't)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yesss, it's time for The Ugly Ones to mutilate some fools. :unsmigghh:

edit:lmao it's a troll, mole and minotaur vs 2 kobolds and a goblin.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wow. Treeloved is a elven murder machine.

I'm beginning to think a maul is too unwieldy for a human to manage, or maybe Onan is better at being a meat shield than an actual fighter.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As far as large weapons go, halberds seem to work pretty well for medium-sized creatures. Is the maul really that much heavier?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 3, Match 7 :siren:

On the left, The Ugly Ones features Mamarian the Molemarian of synthorange, Prancer III the Minotaur of astus and Van Winkle the Troll of Goodchild.

On the right, Small and Mighty features Fast'n Loose the Kobold of HerpicleOmnicron5, Zwinglette the Kobold of Zwingley and Mayor of Nilbog the Goblin of Dungeon Ecology.

Zwinglette the archer fires first, with the brilliant plan of "hurt the guy who can't feel pain". Mamarian is unbothered by her leg wound.

As the fighters meet in the middle, Mayor whacks Van Winkle in the leg, shattering bone through iron armor. Another limb smash and Van Winkle is unconscious. A third smashes the titan's skull. That... is about the most efficiently I have ever seen a small fighter destroy a larger, outside of lucky instant kills.

While Mayor did that, Fast was busy playing tag with the other two, dodging away from them without trying much offense herself. Suddenly, this fight just got a lot more even.

As Zwinglette fires again, missing everyone, Fast cuts off Mamarian's non-weapon hand, then follows up with a leg shot. Pain or not, the molemarian is going to have a hard time functioning with that much damage.

The fighters split up now. Fast continues her dance against Prancer, while Mayor moves to try to finish off Mamarian. Zwinglette fires again, but Prancer dodges a slice from Fast that incidentally saves him from the arrow, too, and puts him close enough for a surprise strike at Mayor. One stab tears straight through armor and collapses his lung.

As a re-equalized Mamarian and Mayor get back to it, Prancer finally hits Fast'n Loose with a body check, sending the kobold sprawling. His dagger finds her heart, but she fights on. Prancer even avoids another arrow flying at him from behind.

It's still not settled, though. Mayor finally breaks enough bones that Mamarian loses her weapon. Moments later, Fast loses hers, and she collapses. Prancer claims her head next.

Prancer drives Mayor of Nilbog away from Mamarian and dodges another arrow. Mayor tries for a headshot again, but merely bruises the minotaur's muscly neck. They trade further indecisive strikes as Mamarian bleeds to death. I feel that's a posthumous kill for Fast'n Loose.

Finally, Prancer loses his temper, which gives Mayor the chance to injure his lung. They both have trouble there, now, but Mayor seems to be the tougher of the two. More arrows flash past, uselessly far from Prancer even having to dodge.

It only takes one moment of lapsed concentration, though. Prancer finally nails Mayor's foot to the floor, and the slippery goblin falls over. Mayor lays about with his hammer, briefly, before Prancer manages to drive the goblin to drop his weapon and lose consciousness.

Before he can finish him off, however, Zwinglette shoots him in his Achilles' Heel, and he falls over unconscious, literally directly on top of Mayor.

Mayor of Nilbog wakes up, surprised to find himself still alive, and rolls out from underneath Prancer. He starts trying to stave in the minotaur's head with his shield. In response, Prancer vomits. Over and over. He keeps losing consciousness, waking up, vomiting more as arrows and shield smacks hit him over and over. Even after an arrow pierces his tongue and cheek, he's vomiting and retching all over.

Zwinglette empties her quiver, and runs through the sea of minotaur puke to help Mayor try to beat in the minotaur's incredibly thick skull. He pukes more in response.

On the fight's third day, Prancer recovers enough to not pass out from pain. He passes out from the exhaustion of puking, instead. Once he's had a nap, it's time to fight back. He cuts up Zwinglette, who also passes out from pain and exhaustion. That's everyone.

Eventually, Prancer cuts her up more. She bleeds to death. He stabs Mayor in the head. He dies, too.

Eventual victory to Prancer and his corpse friends!

Kills
: Prancer III 3, Fast'n Loose 1, Mayor of Nilbog 1

Combat Log

Not an unexpected result, but an unexpected way to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Test Tournament, Week 3, Match 7

What is it with you and really long matches ZeeToo? Still I am surprised that the fight was as close as it was. That Mayor is a tough bastard, killing Van Winkle early made it seem like they had a chance of winning. Like I said before those 3-2 matches are the most fun.

• Locked thread