Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Dumb question - why would I pick digital deluxe instead of softcover?

It's basically "If you don't want a physical copy", yeah. You still need to pay for printing and shipping costs with DTRPG, the tiers are priced lower to account for that.

GrandpaPants posted:

How much of the art is done? The artist you're using ran a Kickstarter for a deck of cards that is nearly a year overdue with little to no communication on progress. How confident are you that you can get this out in time in light of that?

Yep, what Gnome said. I set the estimated date to April 2015 specifically in case an artist explodes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
There's nothing like being the pledge that makes a project hit a stretch goal :woop:

In other news, Breakfast Cult hit its first stretch goal

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 26, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So Dungeon Saga is in its last 5 days and at $540k. The base $100 pledge for the board game now includes really a pretty decent amount of stuff, and there's a couple of expansion packs that have, uh, expanded, along the way too.

There are some KS exclusives but mostly they're resin miniatures.

I was not very excited by this KS three weeks ago, but now it's starting to look like a decent value. Anyone else decided to jump in yet?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Leperflesh posted:

I was not very excited by this KS three weeks ago, but now it's starting to look like a decent value. Anyone else decided to jump in yet?

I have, because the mini-to-money ratio is insane, and getting better all the time.

EDIT: It's currently at 52 figures for £60. Plus plastic dungeon furniture.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 26, 2014

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I'm in for $125 at the moment - planning on getting the first expansion at least, not hugely impressed with the mini concept art for the second so far, but might pick it up anyway for the extra scenarios and tiles.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Breakfast Cult is holding a vote on what the next three stretch goals will be, which ends when funding increases by 1k from where it is now.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

gnome7 posted:

Breakfast Cult is holding a vote on what the next three stretch goals will be, which ends when funding increases by 1k from where it is now.

Magical Girl School is currently leading, AKA the best choice. :getin:

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Re: Dungeon Saga, I believe you can pledge $1 and then wait and see before adding onto your pledge. From the KS page:

quote:

What if I can't afford everything I want now?
Of course, the more people that pledge during the campaign, the more we will be able to create, but unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes and you can't afford everything at once.
Not to worry - you will have the chance to add more in the survey following the Kickstarter - can you add more items or even change your reward level. Just back at what you can afford for now.
We'll keep the survey open for a few months to give you a chance to work out exactly what you want.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm kinda irritated because the only thing in the entire KS I want anymore is Blaine

edit: Oh wait they added him as an addon, sweet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spincut posted:

Magical Girl School is currently leading, AKA the best choice. :getin:

For real, there's no wrong answer for this stuff, but there is a right answer, and Magical Girl Cosmic Horror is the right answer.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Awesome-looking pre-punched cardboard terrain:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-fantasy-dungeon-terrain

(pictured: 120usd-tier without any stretch goals. Size:24"x24")

It reached it goal first day and is unlocking more tidbits and add-ons.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Leperflesh posted:

So Dungeon Saga is in its last 5 days and at $540k. The base $100 pledge for the board game now includes really a pretty decent amount of stuff, and there's a couple of expansion packs that have, uh, expanded, along the way too.

I'm getting the base pledge plus the two expansions and the dice because (a) I am super excited about the idea of a new Hero Quest-type game and (b) there's no way I'll be able to get them for that price once they launch (even if RRP stays the same, shipping to Australia would be ridiculous) and I figure if I don't like the game or the expansions I can probably sell them on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

adhuin posted:

Awesome-looking pre-punched cardboard terrain:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-fantasy-dungeon-terrain

(pictured: 120usd-tier without any stretch goals. Size:24"x24")

It reached it goal first day and is unlocking more tidbits and add-ons.

That is pretty drat amazing and would pair pretty nicely with dungeon saga.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Ok guys, I'm a week out from the Spirit of 77 kickstarter, and I could use some feedback.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/528951018?token=09457270

Check it out and tell me if anything is confusing, missing or otherwise hosed up.

Our printer can drop ship books in the UK and Canada at a fairly reasonable price compared to everywhere else in the world and so I want to offer those regions reduced shipping, but at the same time I'm trying real hard to offer a minimum number of pledge levels to keep things from getting confusing. My final solution was to have three pledge levels for the basic book, one for US, one for UK/Canada and one for the rest of the world, does that make sense? is it explained sufficiently?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kickstarter posted:

$0.00
pledged of $7,777 goal

You cheeky bastard. :allears:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I jumped in back near launch and am seriously considering backing out again because aside from releasing some really really basic alpha rules (that wouldn't be nearly interesting enough for a $100 game) they've talked about new minis and nothing but new minis, without touching on how the game is actually going to play. Supposedly they'll have some more to say on the subject in the next few days, but that seems like leaving it pretty goddamn late to me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

malkav11 posted:

I jumped in back near launch and am seriously considering backing out again because aside from releasing some really really basic alpha rules (that wouldn't be nearly interesting enough for a $100 game) they've talked about new minis and nothing but new minis, without touching on how the game is actually going to play. Supposedly they'll have some more to say on the subject in the next few days, but that seems like leaving it pretty goddamn late to me.

It is annoying when they are selling Kings of War / Dwarf Hold stuff and there is no indication if they are used in the game that is being kickstarted.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

It is annoying when they are selling Kings of War / Dwarf Hold stuff and there is no indication if they are used in the game that is being kickstarted.

I believe the updates that included the Kings of War addons said they were including rules to use those figures in the game, albeit only for homebrew scenarios.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

Ok guys, I'm a week out from the Spirit of 77 kickstarter, and I could use some feedback.

Check it out and tell me if anything is confusing, missing or otherwise hosed up.

Our printer can drop ship books in the UK and Canada at a fairly reasonable price compared to everywhere else in the world and so I want to offer those regions reduced shipping, but at the same time I'm trying real hard to offer a minimum number of pledge levels to keep things from getting confusing. My final solution was to have three pledge levels for the basic book, one for US, one for UK/Canada and one for the rest of the world, does that make sense? is it explained sufficiently?

Seems clear enough to me.

Also? You're doing the lord's work. I just want you to know that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucnasti posted:

Everything looks good to me.

Kick rear end kickstarter video, btw.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Seems solid. There's a rules preview, the tiers are clear and that video owns so hard.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got my first Kickstarter game through the post today: Good Cop Bad Cop. The quality of the cards is pretty good and I can't wait to give it a go!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Little_wh0re posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/goblin-quest-a-tabletop-rpg-of-fatal-ineptitude Goblin Quest is written by a good friend of mine and is well worth checking out.

I just gave this man money for making me laugh like a drain on Twitter. If Goblin Quest is half as good, it will be worth it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

It looks good, but it is a little weird that there's a $20 level that gets you the PDF and all digital stretch goals, a $25 level that gets you the physical book and no stretch goals, and then a $50 level that gets you the physical book plus all stretch goals. I'd suggest dropping the all-digital pledge to $15 (or $17), and then have the $25 package include the physical book + all digital stretch goals. That way the people who want a hardcopy don't feel like they have to shell out $50 before they get to take advantage of any of the stretch goals.

On a thematic note, you should really change some of the pledge levels to end in sevens ($47 instead of $50, etc), and you should make the top pledge tier $2777.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eh, that'd be overdoing the joke a bit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

malkav11 posted:

I don't think we'll be seeing anything much deeper from the rules, shallow rules is kind of the niche Mantic has cornered for themselves. I might still jump in, $150 doesn't seem a bad price for all the models in the base pledge plus the two expansions.

Edit: And the Update posted to the KS right after I post is about the setting's Player's Handbook that comes with the game.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 27, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bucnasti posted:

This is a solid rear end KS, I will happily give it money.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

This is amazing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

I'm sold on the imagery alone. You've got a backer in me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm sold on the imagery alone. You've got a backer in me.
Yeah, the cover designed like an Atari 2600 cartridge box sold me. :swoon:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I am SO down for Spirit of '77.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

General note: I think you should name your expansion instead of calling it The Expansion. What if you decide to make another expansion in the future... will it be called The Other Expansion? There are places throughout the KS page where just calling it the expansion is a bit awkward.

Unsolicited Copyediting I hope this is not out of line.

For the most part your copy is quite good. The first paragraph under the heading "Powered by the Apocalypse" has two issues though:
-First sentence is run-on. Break it at the comma into two sentences.
-Second sentence is a list that needs commas between the list items: "The basic mechanics consist of rolling two six sided dice, adding a modifier, and then narrating the success or failure."

The following stuff is all more nitpicky. Fix or don't as you prefer, the KS will still be readable and comprehensible.

In the introduction:

-You've initial-capped "Movies and Comic Books." These aren't proper nouns or (I assume) special game terms that you're highlighting, so they should probably be lower case. (Initial capping "The Man" is OK, because you're referring to the 70s counterculture concept, which is a proper noun.)
-Strictly speaking, you have a list of musicians, not a list of music.

In Story, Role, and Buzz:
-You mostly use the "oxford comma" (and I approve), but you missed it in the first bullet point. Using it or not is a stylistic choice, but you should be consistent.
-"Characters in Spirit of 77 are made up of three basic components; Story, Role, and Buzz." Should be a colon, not a semicolon (you are introducing a list).
-"This system lets you describe nearly every classic character from 70's cinema and TV such as:" needs a comma after "TV"
-The second bulleted list is double-indented with an orphaned bullet hanging out on the left.
-"Foxy Brown... that's": a person is who's, a thing is that's. Same for Jim Rockford.

In The Core Book and The Expansion
-In the heading, should "The" in "The Expansion" be lower case? Check consistency with your other headings at the same level for which words you're leaving lower case.
-Remove the double-spacing between sentences in these two paragraphs.

In Pledge Levels
-The graphic for the $5 level starts out using initial caps with "Our Thanks" but then switches to sentence case. It's also the only graphic with text that ends in a period.
-The $20 level specifies which PDFs you're getting, but later pledge levels such as the $25 and $30 levels just say for example "Core Book + PDF." This is really nitpicky but it might be better to explicitly state which PDF you're getting in any given level.
-Under the $40 level, pluralize "customer" to "customers."
-For the $25, $30, and $40 levels, you've broken out specific pledge levels for people in different countries. But then you switch to the convention of Amount + Amount for the $50+ pledge levels. I think that inconsistency could be confusing. Why not just use a single $25 level, and say explicitly to add $5 for Canada and $15 for all other countries?
-Your $250 level says "Online Game" but I can't see anywhere else in the KS that explains exactly what that is. Nobody will give you two hundred dollars extra on the basis of two words in a graphic. Same deal with the other high-dollar pledge levels. If they're a joke, just remove them. If you're serious, be explicit and detailed about what people are getting.

In Add Ons
-If someone orders nothing but the stickers, sent to Botswana, are you going to lose money on shipping? :ohdear:
-You're specific about Core Book PDF being the digital version, but Additional Core Book/Additional Expansion Book maybe should explicitly say it's a physical copy?
-If someone adds-on both, do they really have to add +$20 for physical shipping international, even if they've already pledged shipping on a core physical package? Your international customers may ask you for combined shipping.

In Stretch Goals
-Under the $9k goal, you're missing a vertical space between paragraphs. Also, if it's only $5 to add on, is it PDF only?
-In the graphic for the $11k goal, you've got a curly-quote pointing the wrong way around "Casino Style"
-Under the $11k goal, the sentence beginning "One pair of dice..." is run-on.

In Shipping
-First sentence is run-on

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I don't know yet if I'll pledge, but your video made me look up old-school funk on Spotify.

Thanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They actually have their own Spotify channel. :v: They might actually have a few.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

^^^^^ Yeah we have a main playlist on our webpage and we have individual playlists for all the adventures, down the road we will find some way to incorporate all the playlists into the webpage to you can easily find them when played. David is a musician and absolutely obsessed with 70's music, he incorporates it into all the games he runs really well.

8one6 posted:

Kick rear end kickstarter video, btw.

That's good to hear, I've been really afraid people other than my friends wouldn't get the joke. Being so close to it makes it hard for me to judge.

The second part, which we'll be putting out in the middle of the month is a lot of fun.

Goredema posted:

It looks good, but it is a little weird that there's a $20 level that gets you the PDF and all digital stretch goals, a $25 level that gets you the physical book and no stretch goals, and then a $50 level that gets you the physical book plus all stretch goals. I'd suggest dropping the all-digital pledge to $15 (or $17), and then have the $25 package include the physical book + all digital stretch goals. That way the people who want a hardcopy don't feel like they have to shell out $50 before they get to take advantage of any of the stretch goals.

On a thematic note, you should really change some of the pledge levels to end in sevens ($47 instead of $50, etc), and you should make the top pledge tier $2777.

The $20 level gets you two PDFs ($10 each) and digital stretch goals (we have at least two double adventures in the pipe). I fell like it's a great deal for anyone who just want's digital, either I'm wrong (because you're the second person to suggest a price drop) or I'm not communicating what's included there. Does anyone else have opinions on this?

The 25/30/40 dollar levels with no stretch goals are there because we can ship the books by themselves fairly cheap, I'll discuss adding digital stretch goals to these levels with my partner.

We considered ending all the pledges in 7 but it made a bit of a mess of our projections, and I feel like there's a psychological effect of nice round numbers that make it easier for people to quickly make decisions.

Leperflesh posted:

General note: I think you should name your expansion instead of calling it The Expansion. What if you decide to make another expansion in the future... will it be called The Other Expansion? There are places throughout the KS page where just calling it the expansion is a bit awkward.

Yeah the expansion is going to have a name, we just haven't settled on it yet, and we have at least one more full expansion planned down the road.

Leperflesh posted:

Not at all, thank you. I'll check these out.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 27, 2014

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

The $20 level gets you two PDFs ($10 each) and digital stretch goals (we have at least two double adventures in the pipe). I fell like it's a great deal for anyone who just want's digital, either I'm wrong (because you're the second person to suggest a price drop) or I'm not communicating what's included there. Does anyone else have opinions on this?

I think it's the later issue, of not making out clear enough that it includes two different PDFs. I would make that more obvious in the pledge list itself.

quote:

The 25/30/40 dollar levels with no stretch goals are there because we can ship the books by themselves fairly cheap, I'll discuss adding digital stretch goals to these levels with my partner.

Under the current structure, it makes more sense for a backer to pledge at the $20 AND the $25 level, since the end result is cheaper than pledging at the $50 level. It's also counter-intuitive to have a pledge level higher than the "get all the stretch goals" level that doesn't actually get any of the stretch goals. I think adding in a digital version of the stretch goals to all levels $20 and above just makes more sense.

And I still think the top pledge level should be $2777...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Goredema posted:

I think it's the later issue, of not making out clear enough that it includes two different PDFs. I would make that more obvious in the pledge list itself.

Under the current structure, it makes more sense for a backer to pledge at the $20 AND the $25 level, since the end result is cheaper than pledging at the $50 level. It's also counter-intuitive to have a pledge level higher than the "get all the stretch goals" level that doesn't actually get any of the stretch goals. I think adding in a digital version of the stretch goals to all levels $20 and above just makes more sense.

The $50 level is two physical books, plus PDFs of everything, plus physical stretch goals (dice, posters and possibly some other surprises if we get that far).
Obviously I need to make what's included in each level more clear. I'm going to make some changes.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Tekopo posted:

Got my first Kickstarter game through the post today: Good Cop Bad Cop. The quality of the cards is pretty good and I can't wait to give it a go!

The makers have a new kickstarter up too, New Salem. I played it at GenCon, I actually like it better than Good Cop Bad Cop.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Goredema posted:

I think it should be $1977. And if anyone backs that level, you Rent a General Lee and hand deliver that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

I think it should be $1977. And if anyone backs that level, you Rent a General Lee and hand deliver that book.

If somehow this thing goes spectacularly well our ultimate stretch goal is that we'll acquire an awesome 70's muscle car and spend a month driving it around the country hand delivering to backers and running games.

Leperflesh posted:

I incorporated all this feedback, added more descriptions to the high tier backers, and detailed exactly what each tier is getting below each graphic.

Shipping is a big old pain in the rear end, and Kickstarter doesn't help very much. Ideally I should be able to charge people specific amounts depending on where they're at but right now it's an all or nothing option for non-US shipping. So I had to get a little creative with the pledge levels to not end up screwing UK/Canada (sorry AUS, I have no choice but screw you guys :heysexy:).
We're drop shipping books directly from our printer, which lets us ship cheaply to the UK, and more reasonably to the rest of Europe, combining shipping on two books would actually be more expensive because they would have to be shipped to us, then we would have to box them up together and ship them to the customer, as I recall it would cost $22 to combine shipping on two books to Europe compared to $20 to drop ship them separately.

I have a strong feeling that the first things I'm going to be adding to the FAQ are a bunch of questions about shipping.

• Locked thread