Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turnways
Jun 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

Nintendo probably got so loving sick of being told how doomed they are and decided, "fine, we'll skip over you straight to the consumer." Which gave us stuff like Treehouse, so, hooray!

I also remember Iwata posted an unboxing video of the Wii U himself and that really pissed the journos off :lol:

well you have to admit for a while there they were in dire straits until Iwata remembered the Marketing Team summoning ritual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VJeff posted:

Nintendo probably got so loving sick of being told how doomed they are and decided, "fine, we'll skip over you straight to the consumer." Which gave us stuff like Treehouse, so, hooray!

I also remember Iwata posted an unboxing video of the Wii U himself and that really pissed the journos off :lol:

Also, it didn't make sense for Nintendo to blow that type of money on E3 and trade shows.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

I like how she periodically jokes on twitter how people make her out to be a supervillain but honestly she kinda is

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Ardennes posted:

So is the issue that some girl cheated with a much of guys and started a poo poo storm or "social progressiveness?" If it is about social progressiveness, how isn't this just another battleground for culture wars that happen all the time outside of gaming?

Also, you probably shouldn't trust any game reviews especially AAA games who actually have a budget to pressure/buy reviews and you probably shouldn't buy pre-orders.

My gut feeling is it started as mostly column B with a sprinkling of scheudenfreude at someone who aggressively sells and maintains their personal brand on being a paragon being caught out as a massive hypocrite.

Since then it seems to have catalysed the sudden release of a poo poo load of pent up frustration at the gaming press / the tendency of gender discussions on the internet to devolve into two opposite extremes attempting to browbeat each other into submission while everyone who isn't a hyper invested crazy person gets caught in the crossfire.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Remember when PC gaming journalist mags at least gave you a CD with 900 doom levels

that was their credibility

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

turnways posted:

well you have to admit for a while there they were in dire straits until Iwata remembered the Marketing Team summoning ritual

Yeah, the Wii U did not have a good launch but when Kuchera's saying poo poo like "Mario Kart 8 will be the worst selling game in the series" and then doubling down on it after it sells 2 million in like five minutes, those guys either have a serious axe to grind or they're just trying to bait angry Nintendo fans for attention. probably both

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I swear Angry Luigi gifs alone sold everyone on that game

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

horriblePencilist posted:

I like how she periodically jokes on twitter how people make her out to be a supervillain but honestly she kinda is

lol sure she didn't post that picture to show that rebel jam actually gets to be a box on her whiteboard lol

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

VJeff posted:

Iwata seems like a pretty chill duder

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Dely Apple posted:

Remember when PC gaming at least gave you a CD with 900 doom levels

That and if William Burrill's column in the Thursday newspaper didn't talk about a game you had any interest in or a system you owned, you were left powerless and waiting for another full week in hope of relevant information.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

scheudenfreude at someone who aggressively sells and maintains their personal brand on being a paragon being caught out as a massive hypocrite.

Imo its mostly this. Plus anyone who regularly updates their twitter is guranteed to be an attention starved dickhead.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

you know with all these lies thrown around you figure these people would be better at driving a fictitious narrative

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Dely Apple posted:

Remember when PC gaming journalist mags at least gave you a CD with 900 doom levels

Man the number of gaming magazines I bought solely for the games they contained.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Man the number of gaming magazines I bought solely for the games they contained.

I remember finding a local finnish Pelit(Literally "Games")-magazine 10-year anniversary or whatever box that came with like six CD's full of every _single_ freeware and shareware game that they released with their magazine

Needless to say I was hot poo poo in school after that

Nebelwerfer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 27, 2014

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I wonder if anyone actually played all 900 of those doom levels

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Why do supporters of Zoe still say people are doxxing her? Not only was that fake, she also accused a board of depressed virgins who discuss how to kill yourself on a regular basis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dely Apple posted:

I wonder if anyone actually played all 900 of those doom levels

Hell yeah!
Well those that loaded, most would, the magazines back then didn't test them half the time.

Friend actually started off his computer programmer career reverse engineering Doom 1 and Half Life 1 levels to make his own.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
During the Ex's AMA some other people revealed stuff of Zoe's past.

The person in question is legobutts, a PR rep still very close to Zoe. They own the rebel jam domain and have been discussed on the /v/-threads a lot. They're also suspected of being one of the 5 guys.

Jesus loving christ I'm using preferred pronouns.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dely Apple posted:

demo cds were my poo poo as a kid it's like you got 20 free games because yeah you beat level 5 pretty quickly and now there's an ad but there's still 19 demos to go!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

demo cds were my poo poo as a kid it's like you got 20 free games because yeah you beat level 5 pretty quickly and now there's an ad but there's still 19 demos to go!

It's what got me to buy Tony Hawk Skateboarding 1 when it came out on ps1.

I played that demo to death quite literally, and friends would always ask for it after I got the full game.

First 2 Tony Hawks Levels with all the music but you could only set each game to 2 minute rounds but thats all most people play anyway I discovered later. Speed freaks was another one, remember getting it on holiday in Dartmouth. :)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

VJeff posted:

Yeah, the Wii U did not have a good launch but when Kuchera's saying poo poo like "Mario Kart 8 will be the worst selling game in the series" and then doubling down on it after it sells 2 million in like five minutes, those guys either have a serious axe to grind or they're just trying to bait angry Nintendo fans for attention. probably both

Nintendo is moving to cut them out just in time. One of the most recent major controversies was a recent Nintendo game (Tamadochi Life or something like that) didn't allow gay relationships, thus Nintendo is a homophobic company.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

XK posted:

Nintendo is moving to cut them out just in time. One of the most recent major controversies was a recent Nintendo game (Tamadochi Life or something like that) didn't allow gay relationships, thus Nintendo is a homophobic company.

lmao i checked this out

quote:

Nintendo's statement comes after a fan started a social media campaign last month calling on Nintendo to allow same-sex relationship options in the game. The issue is particularly pressing, campaign creator Tye Marini says in the video below, because married characters have access to exclusive features like bigger houses and the ability to have a child

is there adoption in this game or does this guy want nintendo to pretend butt babies are a thing?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heh.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

XK posted:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

jalopybrown posted:

lmao i checked this out

is there adoption in this game or does this guy want nintendo to pretend butt babies are a thing?

There was a glitch that involved importing Miis from Tomodachi Collection (The predecessor to Tomodachi Life, it was a Japan-only DS title) that would be identified as female but the game would treat them as male. This glitch was removed in a patch, but SJWs interpreted it as the game previously allowing same-sex marriage but removing it afterwards. Nevermind the fact that there is zero distinction between male and female miss other than their relationship to other miis, so you could make a male-looking Mii and pick female as their gender. That being said, unlike The Sims, you also have no direct influence over the life of your Miis and can only give them advice that they might not even listen to.

Here's something else.
Stardock, known for being one of the few studios who opted against DRM even when it hit peak bullshit and being all around a good company to work with, was badmouthed by Zoe based off baseless assumptions. Their CEO – Brad Wardell – retaliates but Zoe dismisses his arguments because he watches Family Guy.
I'm not kidding.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Stardock, known for being one of the few studios who opted against DRM even when it hit peak bullshit and being all around a good company to work with, was badmouthed by Zoe based off baseless assumptions. Their CEO – Brad Wardell – retaliates but Zoe dismisses his arguments because he watches Family Guy.
I'm not kidding.

Let's not go so far as to defend known lolbertarian Wardell, now. The emails that came out from that incident with his ex-employee were pretty damning.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I miss Digitizer.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

140 character arguments seem like a lot of fun

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

I don't even know what JonTron did last night, but if it pissed off Anthony "Game Figuratively Written By Reddit" Burch I think it must have been pretty good.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
So Patreon enables her to wake at 1pm and shove vegan snacks into her metal filled maw while dragging out a redundant argument until the other person just gives up?

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Mazzletoff posted:

I don't even know what JonTron did last night, but if it pissed off Anthony "Waste of air" Burch I think it must have been pretty good.

FTFY

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ wow

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

So Patreon enables her to wake at 1pm and shove vegan snacks into her metal filled maw while dragging out a redundant argument until the other person just gives up?

Not yet, but that's what she's aiming for. She actually said that.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

My God, John Walker Lindh, the American Taliban.

Out of prison and posting on the internet about video games

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Mazzletoff posted:

I don't even know what JonTron did last night, but if it pissed off Anthony "Game Figuratively Written By Reddit" Burch I think it must have been pretty good.

Not speak nor understand the language of tumblr/twitter cargo cult sociology with a sprinkling of tone deafness.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This is getting really insulting. They're not even trying with their backpedaling anymore.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

This is getting really insulting. They're not even trying with their backpedaling anymore.

This is kinda why being limited to 140 characters is a really dumb platform for this kind of discussion.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Supernorn posted:

This is kinda why being limited to 140 characters is a really dumb platform for this kind of discussion.

Then he should make these statements elsewhere. Hell, twitlonger exists for just that. This guy writes for The Guardian, he should know how to properly express an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

That owns.

Pretty much how every conversation involved with any of the people associated with that little retard clique are going to go now, any time they try that poo poo there's going to be fifty people asking for citations for every one of their claims.

I look forward to the near future when they start calling it harassment when people want proof of claims.

• Locked thread