Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Aramoro posted:

He is a sperg but I still find some of his comics pretty funny really. They're just jokes on the internet, not all of them are funny, not all of them are bad. I don't really know anything about him or why people hate him so much. But him doing whatever doesn't make his comic less good.

You forget.

Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr_Amazing posted:

XKCD humor is so obscure/technical that there's an entire wiki that's just explaining the jokes. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

That being said a lot of that wiki is devoted to explaining simple jokes such as a child might understand to his legion of beep-boop-beep sperglords.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

explainkcd posted:

Explanation

Cueball is seen at his desk in front of four devices. He has clearly run out of things to do, or is looking for an excuse to procrastinate. A flowchart describes the process by which he scans the whole environment for something to do, which everyone can relate to.

The comic uses electronics likely because they are the common timekiller these days, and are most likely to contain fresh, tantalizing entertainment. News sites can be viewed as a good source of yet-to-be-seen content. Yet the search yields no interesting content, or the results don't garner enough attention, thus the blank stares and moving on to next device in line. Cueball has four devices, so he can begin with the PC and move through the loop three times - first to laptop, then tablet and finally to smartphone. What happens after this... Back to the PC maybe?

The title text notes that this also happened before there were electronic devices like today, assuming most entertainment came from books. The point made is that, while the Internet and modern electronic devices are often blamed for jeopardizing the minds of adolescents, the attention span of “the kids” is not worse than it ever was, neither in the context of low-tech nor high-tech media. Kids focus on some things for a long time, but they do change this focus often very abruptly. But nevertheless there are still many kids reading books today until the end.

Transcript

[Cueball sits at a desk, accompanied by numerous electronics - a desktop computer, a laptop, a tablet, and a smartphone.]
[A cyclical flowchart is shown above Cueball:]
stare blankly at screen -> open news site -> start reading -> get bored -> absentmindedly check smaller device -> stare blankly at screen -> …
comment.png add a comment!

Discussion

First explanation. How did I do, veterans? Lacedemonian (talk) 04:45, 22 August 2014 (UTC)

Not bad. I reorganised the content and fixed some stylistic flaws.

Awaiting older veterans to cross-reference with older entries. 108.162.229.70 05:11, 22 August 2014 (UTC)Sylvertech

I count 4 devices: monitor, laptop, tablet, phone. 108.162.216.22 05:52, 22 August 2014 (UTC)J. from Mi.

All he needs is to have been wearing a Google Glass-type device, and this can simultaneously be both a smaller display (by absolute scale) to recurse onto after the smartphone and a possibly larger display (by proportion of view) to recurse back out of onto the 'smaller' computer monitor display... 141.101.99.233 09:14, 22 August 2014 (UTC)

:gonk:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

All he needs is to have been wearing a Google Glass-type device, and this can simultaneously be both a smaller display (by absolute scale) to recurse onto after the smartphone and a possibly larger display (by proportion of view) to recurse back out of onto the 'smaller' computer monitor display...

makes you think

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Breetai posted:

That being said a lot of that wiki is devoted to explaining simple jokes such as a child might understand to his legion of beep-boop-beep sperglords.

Well, sometimes people just don't get the joke. I remember plenty of webcomic threads on SA where always somebody had to explain the latest Perry Bible Fellowship comic. It ended up becoming an inside joke to overtly explain or create elaborate bullshit theories whenever one got posted.

So, discuss:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Aug 26, 2014

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Her father is upset she's marrying a prole whistle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cthulhoo posted:

Her father is upset she's marrying a prole whistle.

It wouldn't have worked that way. Please, refer to an XKCD comic from three years ago.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Mierenneuker posted:

So, discuss:

I get it, the dad could never get a Supurb on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDhj6xPRzA ... But at least she ain't marrying one of those damned stringers!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, sometimes people just don't get the joke. I remember plenty of webcomic threads on SA where always somebody had to explain the latest Perry Bible Fellowship comic. It ended up becoming an inside joke to overtly explain or create elaborate bullshit theories whenever one got posted.

So, discuss:

My favorite was dumb argument was this comic. http://pbfcomics.com/199/

To me it's about whether the boys were disappointed that school was cancelled. They'd rather attend school than play educational board games at home.

Many goons argued that the kids were home schooled, played this game everyday, were unaware that home schooled kids don't get snow days, and were just sad it was business as usual.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

To me it's about whether the boys were disappointed that school was cancelled. They'd rather attend school than play educational board games at home.

Many goons argued that the kids were home schooled, played this game everyday, were unaware that home schooled kids don't get snow days, and were just sad it was business as usual.

What was their argument for why a home-schooled kid would be horrified by hearing that a particular school (that they don't go to) was closed?

(I don't actually want to know I just want to look smart :smuggo:)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Youre kidding right? I live in Australia where it never snows and even I understood they were desperate to go to school and escape their dads boardgame.

Goons are loving idiots.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is amazingly dumb.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

Many goons argued that the kids were home schooled

These stupid goons were probably projecting, there's no other way this would be the first explanation to come to mind.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The comic is literally titled "Missing School".

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
edit: nvm, nothing really bad but still dragging out a crappy derail

Instead, Oglaf!

:nws: in case your redundant, paper-pushing, make-work job leaves you with enough free time to browse internet forums instead of performing something of actual value to society.

(hopefully the genitals are small enough)

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Aug 28, 2014

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

ryonguy posted:

Haha, don't worry about that!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

ryonguy posted:

edit: nvm, nothing really bad but still dragging out a crappy derail

Instead, Oglaf!

You can just, like, you know, post a link with :nws: around it.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

You can just, like, you know, post a link with :nws: around it.

Yeah, but a bunch of links in a picture thread is boring.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, but a bunch of links in a picture thread is boring.

Seeing as Oglaf has both explicit and non-explicit comics. NWS it when it is. I clicked your link at work. Thanks.

EDIT: Adding value:
My favorite pbf comic of all time:

pitlo has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Missed the line about the genitals?

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

Theglavwen posted:

Missed the line about the genitals?

Yep. After 8 derail posts about goons being dumb. I didn't really care much about text in the image thread. And if that was NWS to start, there wouldn't be yet more text in the thread.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

I have always wondered if the rabbit knew what would happen.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That puts me in mind of happy tree friends. Don't click that link btw it's loving retarded.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
you crossed the streams

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

what have you done

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

pookerbug posted:

I have always wondered if the rabbit knew what would happen.

In a similar vein:

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Eschatos posted:

In a similar vein:

I see what you mean. I never noticed 054 on the left there with the shifty grin.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Eschatos posted:

In a similar vein:

That's what you get for bringing a frog to a toad race, son. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So long as we're posting some of our favorite PBF comics:

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

That puts me in mind of happy tree friends. Don't click that link btw it's loving retarded.

I dunno, if you're 18 and smoke a lot of pot it's probably pretty funny.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Eschatos posted:

In a similar vein:

My favorite part of this comic is that the dick guy from this one (:nws:) is hanging out in the background of the first panel.

Strangely he seems to have taken this one down from the actual website? :confused:
It used to be called "Small Man."

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Dudes! posted:

an almost very funny Garfield.

This is funnier on another level when you realize this strip is from 9-10-2001

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

So long as we're posting some of our favorite PBF comics:

I also only just noticed that all the times he'd "nailed" her previously he'd done a terrible job and never finished properly. :haw:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
The screw ain't sunk either, board can't catch a break.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

If the kid cannot spell, then why is it Deer Jesus?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suicide Sam E. posted:

If the kid cannot spell, then why is it Deer Jesus?

It's Deer Jesus because the kid can't spell. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's Deer Jesus because the kid can't spell. :rolleyes:

If it was Jesus, then the kid should have written "dear". Clearly "Deer Jesus" is correct reinforced both by the appearance of Deer Jesus and the correct spelling of the other words in the kid's letter.

• Locked thread