Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

"uh, guys, maybe this medium that's still at the stage of being largely about little boy's power fantasies is a bit sexist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think I might be the only non-blogger who thinks Kotaku's decision on Patreon is total bullshit.

Should writers be barred from reporting on stuff they've contributed to? Totally.
If they do mention someone they've supported, should they disclose that? Absolutely.

But should a person's company be able to tell them what they can or can't spend their wages on in their free time? Hell no. It's a job they have, not an indentured servitude contract.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I really don't have any issues with Anita. I'm just getting bored of hearing her talk about games though because she used to talk about a lot of other media and like 80% of the games she brings up I've never played and have no interest in playing.

Anyway, I just hope she eventually takes on the real enemy. Anime. :getin:

V -- agreed.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Sarkeesians videos are pretty much on the level of a high school project. Clips lifted from Youtube videos completely unsourced, text read straight from the Wiki and TVTropes pages for the subject, never moves on from What into How or Why. Decent if you want to get a B-/C+ in class, useless if you want to convince anyone of anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I really don't have any issues with Anita. I'm just getting bored of hearing her talk about games though because she used to talk about a lot of other media and like 80% of the games she brings up I've never played and have no interest in playing.

Anyway, I just hope she eventually takes on the real enemy. Anime. :getin:

She's got no idea what cultural context is, so this would be magnificent. Also, anime is loving bad.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

macnbc posted:

I think I might be the only non-blogger who thinks Kotaku's decision on Patreon is total bullshit.

Should writers be barred from reporting on stuff they've contributed to? Totally.
If they do mention someone they've supported, should they disclose that? Absolutely.

But should a person's company be able to tell them what they can or can't spend their wages on in their free time? Hell no. It's a job they have, not an indentured servitude contract.

well there's a pretty big difference between "buying a thing because you like it" and "actively funding a person for existing and then covering anything that person does" and the second, as it turns out, tends to introduce a bit more bias than the first

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
viddy used to be about having fun with your friends and raging at griefers

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

california roll posted:

viddy used to be about having fun with your friends and raging at griefers

we were so innocent then... before the gender wars...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nion posted:

Sarkeesians videos are pretty much on the level of a high school project. Clips lifted from Youtube videos completely unsourced, text read straight from the Wiki and TVTropes pages for the subject, never moves on from What into How or Why. Decent if you want to get a B-/C+ in class, useless if you want to convince anyone of anything.

Hey. Hey! You forget something. She knows how to fix games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZKtFfHIGrA
Look at that clever subverting of hurtful tropes. Pretty cool, huh?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Cargo-cult sociology. Has occasional good points hidden in a whole load of garbage. Her videos also tend to be presented in a way that it's clear they are intended for people who already hold the same views she does to nod along respectively to rather than to convince people to her point of view.

For example privilege is a completely valid idea that makes sense and is a useful thought experiment for understanding the filters people use to view the world. Unfortunately she uses that concept like a blunt instrument to bludgeon people with and the not as a tool for facilitating dialogue.

this is kind of how i see it.

i think anita is probably pretty great. but her videos are just boring and don't do anything to explain the key terms to anyone who doesn't already know what they are, much less the importance of the issue. i think her 'analysis' is also pretty drat basic and shallow. but like, if i wanted to do a video series that tried to convince gamers that there was a problem with sexism in their media, i'd do something other than talking into a camera with lots of big sociology terms that, if the average gamer hasn't heard, doesn't really know the meaning of. i think she could do better if she really wanted but i also think she probably makes an absolute killing of cheap videos and idiot nerd man-rage, so, good on her, i guess?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
anita is dumb, video games are dumb, nerds are also dumb

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
adolescent power fantasy blah blah male gaze yadda yadda gonna go rescue the princess

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
gamer? i hardly knew her!

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

macnbc posted:

Basic journalistic ethics should have handled this without needing a rule prohibiting them from donating to any developers Patreon, but the journalists have made it pretty clear that they are completely unwilling to follow basic journalistic ethics.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

- ayo gurl. ima rescue u so bad bb

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When gamers complain about her "scamming" people I just tell them that what they're really complaining about is the free market. So I win no matter what.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 27, 2014

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Can you even feign an attempt at creating a dialogue with your videos when you disable comments on all of them? Youtube comments are absolute poo poo but it definitely makes you look like an idiot preaching to a choir to just cut all comments off completely.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Nion posted:

Basic journalistic ethics should have handled this without needing a rule prohibiting them from donating to any developers Patreon, but the journalists have made it pretty clear that they are completely unwilling to follow basic journalistic ethics.

They shouldnt have to follow journalistic ethics because they are not journalists

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Milky Moor posted:

this is kind of how i see it.

i think anita is probably pretty great. but her videos are just boring and don't do anything to explain the key terms to anyone who doesn't already know what they are, much less the importance of the issue. i think her 'analysis' is also pretty drat basic and shallow. but like, if i wanted to do a video series that tried to convince gamers that there was a problem with sexism in their media, i'd do something other than talking into a camera with lots of big sociology terms that, if the average gamer hasn't heard, doesn't really know the meaning of. i think she could do better if she really wanted but i also think she probably makes an absolute killing of cheap videos and idiot nerd man-rage, so, good on her, i guess?

What I've watched of her videos feel like an overeager undergrad's Women's Studies 101 studies project. She does make some good points but considering there's some who'll take any criticisms of games as a direct personal attack, she could've handled it better to mitigate the nerdrage.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

I'm sorry guys, it was me, I bought Gone Home (during summer sale). I just like games where you walk around and explore stuff. :smith:

It's pretty good. There's a lot of fun stuff to find.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Her first mistake was treating sociology like a science. It's not a science; Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. are science.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Narciss posted:

Her first mistake was treating sociology like a science. It's not a science; Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. are science.

Lol. What is your favourite XKCD comic?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The General posted:

What's the general opinion of Anita Sarkeesian? I'm just curious. Her name gets dropped a lot during these debates, and I guess I'd just like a status update, as I haven't heard poo poo about her since she released her first Tropes vs. Videogames video.

I have no idea if her videos are any good or not, but she's basically become immune from criticism because of the absolute shitstorm of insane hateful misogyny her videos generated.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Narciss posted:

Actually, it's just an application of physics studying a very difficult subject.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Narciss posted:

Sociology is a science you dummy

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

I'm serious when I say I think her place was justified, not because what she's saying is particularly new or interesting but because of the unbelievably lovely and disproportionate response it's attracted from people claiming to be the "gaming community".

Fair enough but I don't think it's really a mystery as to why she experienced backlash by approaching a community of fat autistic nerds as an outsider and informed them that she intended to burn them down and rebuild them from the ground up

Like on one hand it's an industry by and large comprised of absurd male power fantasy, but on the other hand the only counter-argument I ever really hear is "I'm not involved in any of this but I think all of it should be destroyed"

Constructive dialogues about feminism in games are long overdue but they need to actually be constructive and not a combo of TVtropes references and dismissive sarcasm

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Gorman Thomas posted:

*pats you on the head respectfully* of course it is, sweetie.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
God I can't wait for PAX Prime. What's the over/under on ZQ getting a standing ovation?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Gorman Thomas posted:

Can I see a social connection? Can I touch it? Can I stroke it? Can I put a ruler on top of it and tell you that it is 'x' inches long?

...No? Then by definition it is not a science.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

macnbc posted:

:agreed: I don't see how giving your money away without expecting a ROI counts as a financial tie

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

Narciss posted:

Can I see a social connection? Can I touch it? Can I stroke it? Can I put a ruler on top of it and tell you that it is 'x' inches long?

lol

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Can someone explain what this is and its significance? It gets empty quoted a lot but I have no clue what on earth is the big deal

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Narciss posted:

you retard

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
e:f,b

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lightanchor posted:

:agreed: I don't see how giving your money away without expecting a ROI counts as a financial tie

Journalists aren't allowed to donate to political campaigns. This is like the kiddie pool version of that.

Both are a donation that might go a tiny way towards getting something done but which is ultimately a drop in the ocean in a larger fund, but both still represent a conflict of interest

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Narciss posted:

look at this virgin :rolleyes:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Forums Barber posted:

*pats you on the head respectfully* of course it is, sweetie.

*nods respectfully at u*

Yeah, how could the workings of human societies ever be worth studying? They have no impact on the real world!

As long as there's data to apply the scientific method to, I don't see the problem.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Madcosby posted:

Can someone explain what this is and its significance? It gets empty quoted a lot but I have no clue what on earth is the big deal

We want to see the cat pic.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Journalists aren't allowed to donate to political campaigns. This is like the kiddie pool version of that.

Both are a donation that might go a tiny way towards getting something done but which is ultimately a drop in the ocean in a larger fund, but both still represent a conflict of interest

"I don't care if you sleep with elephants as long as you don't cover the circus." -Abe Rosenthal

But there does seem to be a difference between politics, in which you can expect a material award, and patreon, in which you cannot. if you can it's a problem again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Fluo posted:

I went to check his twitter and saw this.

The image is abit dated but it was:

Tom Hatfield seem like the type of guy who would easily fall for a fake online girlfriend.

• Locked thread