Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

The General posted:

This is basically the only thread I've read in days. I mean, I still kinda read the voyager thread, but I no longer spend vast amounts of time reading memory alpha, cause I'm too busy F5ing this thread. I just cannot get enough of the Quinnspiracy.

Try putting this on for the soundtrack when doing catch up reading for extra Internet Drama atmosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfhAFA2yFE

E: snype'd

Additional confession edit: I backed Tropes vs Women on kickstarter and don't regret it. :colbert: It's certainly not "God's Gift To Feminist Theory & Games" by any stretch of the imagination, but it does deliver a lot of 101 level poo poo into the laps of people who probably wouldn't have been exposed to it otherwise. Could it be done better? No question. I hope someone is encouraged to do so.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zoey Depreschanel

Lardy Quinn

Poly on a cracker

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
look at all them people acknowledging Narciss' existence

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nion posted:

Sarkeesians videos are pretty much on the level of a high school project. Clips lifted from Youtube videos completely unsourced, text read straight from the Wiki and TVTropes pages for the subject, never moves on from What into How or Why. Decent if you want to get a B-/C+ in class, useless if you want to convince anyone of anything.

People don't get mad at her videos because they are intro-level stuff, but instead because they can't loving handle intro level criticism. All you need to do is point out something basic and obvious and people get frothing mad about feminazis

any actual academic criticism would be lost on gamers lol

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

XK posted:

He's right about that. If girls can have their views of their role in society warped by over sexualization or being portrayed as helpless, guys can have their understanding of their role warped by over masculinization and being portrayed as heroes or warriors. It's not unusual for guys to have body dysmorphia issues from stuff like this, resulting in the guys who obsess over working out in the gym, and I'd bet it sets up a lot of the foundation for "bro culture", I'm not actually sure what term to use here, but you know the type of guys who always puts up an obviously over the top masculine front to the point of being obnoxious. You can see these roles even in the abusive tweets put forth by the people defending Zoe. They'll make accusations of slut shaming or misogyny, and in the same tweet call people virgins or little boys or otherwise attack maleness.

I'd argue fat people (both male and female) have even worse representation in pop media than women. I mean, name 5 fat characters in gaming, movies or TV that aren't evil or comic relief.

Also, Anita's videos feel like tvtropes-articles read aloud with opinion pieces injected in-between. Also, keep in mind that it took her over a year to record 5 episodes, she already had all the equipment she needed as evidenced in the video promoting her kickstarter, she promised to record all game footage by herself but it's all taken from cubex55 (without permission but I'm not sure about this one) and her research is entirely limited to pop culture.
Meanwhile, here's one of the 3 videos TFYC made 7 months ago covering patterns similar to Anita's videos. It has actual research with quotes from actual literature, giving you backgrounds on the trope. And they didn't demand money for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A058HfLYlMw

Oh yeah I forgot to mention SJW got also mad because the intro to TFYC shows a woman putting on makeup.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
not to mention everything started when she started the kickstarter long before the videos came out.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Madcosby posted:

Can someone explain what this is and its significance? It gets empty quoted a lot but I have no clue what on earth is the big deal

You'd understand if you had a dad that loved you

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fluo posted:

I went to check his twitter and saw this.

The image is abit dated but it was:

lol @ this theory, since everyone involved was like "holy poo poo this fake game jam is a poo poo show, we need to bail"

but apparently zoe is a loving puppetmaster lol

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
This is my favorite part of Anita's latest video, where she says dead men aren't shown in sexualized positions while on screen is a man shown in a sexual position

http://youtu.be/5i_RPr9DwMA?t=2m57s

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lightanchor posted:

This is my favorite part of Anita's latest video, where she says dead men aren't shown in sexualized positions while on screen is a man shown in a sexual position

nice bro you totally pwned her she better think twice about opening her mouth again

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The General posted:

How the hell is Miyamoto not #1? :psyduck: Who was #1?

With the way the video game industry works right now it was probably the Oculus Rift Team or something equally dumb. There's never been a good case for why anyone should want it, but everyone in games journalism is pushing the hell out of it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Slanderer posted:

People don't get mad at her videos because they are intro-level stuff, but instead because they can't loving handle intro level criticism. All you need to do is point out something basic and obvious and people get frothing mad about feminazis

any actual academic criticism would be lost on gamers lol

A friend of mine made a short video where she pointed out that in League of Legends, the male character list includes a variety of body types, styles of dress, several non human monsters, and a bunch of weird, ugly and fat dudes, while the female list includes exactly one monster, and every single other character has the same body type or is a disturbingly fetishized toddler, 90% of their outfits are sexualized, and that all but one of the female monster characters start out as a sexy lady in revealing clothing and only transform into dragons/spiders etc part way through the battle.

Even this video, which was pointing out the obvious and really not going into a great deal of detail or theory, attracted a ton of comments justifying the clear imbalance, and a bunch more pointing out that there were one or two female characters that didn't fit the pattern therefore there was obviously no problem and the game was had a fair and balanced approach to the genders.

Basically, the type of people who care about games enough to argue about them on the internet are pretty loving dense and desperate to justify anything their game-maker gods do, no matter how obviously many of those choices are catering to teenage male wank fantasies.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lightanchor posted:

brother, if this is what you consider a sexual position then you are probably a cello fucker

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Slanderer posted:

brother, if this is what you consider a sexual position then you are probably a cello fucker

this is absolutely my poo poo

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Can we refocus on the fact that a gang of 24 year-old white kids are running a grifting ring in San Francisco

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Slanderer posted:

:madmax:

It's coded in a way the women aren't but I'm sure people are picking up what I'm sending out

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Can we refocus on the fact that a gang of 24 year-old white kids are running a grifting ring in San Francisco

nah it's funnier to make fun of dumb manchildren who want to drop hard truthbombs on sjws

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
The Gaming Feminism Spectrum

Far Feminism: Men are destroying gaming culture! They should all just shut up and stop harassing women. Don't even question my ideas or theories as it is comparable to virtual rape. There will soon be a virtual police force to deal with you trolls soon enough. Piss off! Comments disabled!

Moderate Feminism: Females need more representation in video games. There are some concerns about the demographic and content of the games that should be addressed less they be taken to heart by ignorant individuals with no perception outside of the medium. These topics should be brought up, addressed and perhaps rectified by an increased presence of women in both the development and video game content.

Middle: Both sides present different theories on gender portrayal and perception in the gaming industry. These are interesting topics that should be explored further, but also be given a critical eye to make sure it reflects the type of product most parties will be pleased with while not going too far to either side. Equality should reflect the good and the bad to make sure each side is of equal standing and that games are still enjoyable. Also, these are only video games so none of this is that crucial from a social justice perspective.

Moderate Anti-Feminism: While interesting theories, the feminism ideas and proposals are in danger of becoming runaway cults if the claims and rants go unchecked. Superiority is not the same thing as equality and this should be kept in mind if that is indeed the goal for video games. For this reason, I cannot support this movement and hope that some of the more rational ideas will carry over out of this group. One day we will have equal representation of men and women in video games, but not through these channels of blind followers.

Far Anti-Feminism: Stop ruining our culture! Back to the kitchen, tit-less tramp! Video games are mainly aimed at men so don't break what isn't broken. If it weren't for my video games, I would die. Therefore, by changing them to have more women, you'd be committing murder. Now quit talking before I make some death and rape threats to defend my position from you ACLU bulldykes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Holy loving poo poo people care about this way too much

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
IT'S TIME TO

CUCK

YOUR

LUCK

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Slanderer posted:

nah it's funnier to make fun of dumb manchildren who want to drop hard truthbombs on sjws

heh... yeah, the sick ownage by you.... *Plays UT2K headshot.wav over and over*

Madcosby posted:

nice bro you totally pwned her she better think twice about opening her mouth again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz9__a8x-I

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FrostedButts posted:

The Gaming Feminism Spectrum

Far Anti-Feminism: I make some death and rape threats to defend my position from you ACLU bulldykes.

Far Feminism: Comments disabled!

Moderate Feminism: Comments disabled!

Middle: Comments disabled!

Moderate Anti-Feminism: Comments disabled!

Seriously, when has turning off YouTube comments ever been a bad thing?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

that's me being cucked by zoe quinn

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

heh... yeah, the sick ownage by you.... *Plays UT2K headshot.wav over and over*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz9__a8x-I

gently caress that was a sick burn...

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

that's me being cucked by zoe quinn

Ninja 5-Gaiden

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Slanderer posted:

:pervert:

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Seriously, when has turning off YouTube comments ever been a bad thing?

Because it negates discussion on topics that should be discussed.

And, when not given the proper forum for these topics, people will go elsewhere on the internet to fester and circlejerk their opinions until they manifest into something putrid. Better to let them post their BS on YouTube where everyone can see how wrong they are as opposed to going to a different site that caters and elates to their behavior.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Slanderer posted:

A dead dick holding a dick in one hand while a big fat dick rests against him. ~cums~

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fatkraken posted:

Journalists aren't allowed to donate to political campaigns. This is like the kiddie pool version of that.

Both are a donation that might go a tiny way towards getting something done but which is ultimately a drop in the ocean in a larger fund, but both still represent a conflict of interest

You donate to politicians because you support their views on public policy and you hope that they will get a position in Government so they can do what you want them to.

You donate to people on Patreon because you want them to make a video game or a magazine or some poo poo. It's completely different.

Put another way: How is giving money to someone on Patreon to make a blog any different than subscribing to some fanzine before the internet came around?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

It's gonna own when the consumer Oculus Rift drops and sexism in games becomes a completely rejuvenated issue thanks to a huge influx of POV sex simulation mechanics

NPC humping will be this decade's quicktime events, literally mark my words

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

4chan agreed to stop focussing on Zoe so much and focus more on the journalists, but new stuff just keeps piling on.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Can't devs just start slapping a [TRIGGER WARNING: SEXISM] on their terrible platform games and then that can be the end of it?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FrostedButts posted:

Because it negates discussion on topics that should be discussed.

Have you seen YouTube comments? I mean, like ever?

realtalk: Turning them off is not extreme feminism, or extreme at all. Or censorship. It's saying "this is not a great venue."

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

slowbeef posted:

realtalk: Turning them off is not extreme feminism, or extreme at all. Or censorship. It's saying "this is not a great venue."

To be fair I laughed when I went to watch the first Tropes v Women video and saw ratings and comments disabled, given the huge amount of controversy regarding the kickstarter

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

slowbeef posted:

You say that but comments on her blog, Feminist Frequency, are closed as well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

It's only a matter of time before something new vomits up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Eh the comments are always terrible but I don't see the issue with leaving them on. Most of the regular people that see the videos might be more likely to read the youtube comments (and be horrified by them) than visit her twitter page.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

turnways posted:

you know with all these lies thrown around you figure these people would be better at driving a fictitious narrative
Lying is trivial when no one fact checks you; extraordinarily difficult when people do. People like Zoe get used to just being able to lie to people's faces without evidence because it works, because most people don't bother to fact check other people (because, you know, :effort:). The problem is that once they become recognized as untrustworthy, all their talent at lying to your face becomes pointless because they never learned to fake a paper trail, or to keep their lies within the realm of the plausible-on-the-evidence. So they say things like, "I tweeted like four times about how I was concerned about their transphobic policies" and then somebody screencaps their big twitter storm where they DDOS the site, and it's like, WHOOPS.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Anita doesn't really offer a platform for legit discussion, and she's been confirmed to delete supportive comments, most likely to change the narrative in her favor. YouTube comments can get really awful, but this is closer to censorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what percentage of Anita's video views are just people watching looking for something to make them angry

• Locked thread