Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They never said if they were going to release that DLC for regular release, did they?

I don't buy Digital anyway. I don't think its a viable option and I like having my games on the shelf.

Preferring physical copies is fine...but how is buying off the eShop "not viable"? I can confirm that the eShop works, the games play just fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Waluigi supremacy.

Basically I'll be doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bZLFRjVCA

Ahahahahah this is awesome, I want to play!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

jivjov posted:

Preferring physical copies is fine...but how is buying off the eShop "not viable"? I can confirm that the eShop works, the games play just fine?
Some people take being a tightarse in gaming to a professional level. Professional tightarsing if you will.

If you aren't willing to spend as much on a game and the hours of enjoyment you can get out of most of them as you are a night out on the bar or a night of fine dining, Nintendo's full RRP digital pricing is not viable in every sense of the words.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crawfish posted:

Some people take being a tightarse in gaming to a professional level. Professional tightarsing if you will.

If you aren't willing to spend as much on a game and the hours of enjoyment you can get out of most of them as you are a night out on the bar or a night of fine dining, Nintendo's full RRP digital pricing is not viable in every sense of the words.

I can maybe see that if you're looking at buying a game months after the fact, when you can find a used copy at GameStop or catch a Black Friday deal or something, but if its a game you know full well you want day-of-release, you're generally not going to find all that much of a deal on it at retail. Might as well go digital, have it always ready to click and play on your console and possibly get some deluxe promo credit out of it.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

jivjov posted:

I can maybe see that if you're looking at buying a game months after the fact, when you can find a used copy at GameStop or catch a Black Friday deal or something, but if its a game you know full well you want day-of-release, you're generally not going to find all that much of a deal on it at retail. Might as well go digital, have it always ready to click and play on your console and possibly get some deluxe promo credit out of it.

Not everyone has a Deluxe Wii U, and not everyone has a stable or reliable internet connection, and space to keep all the games installed forever.

This aversion to digital isn't exclusive to Nintendo, and it's understandable. I like discs because if my network goes out (which it does alot due to weather) I can still play whatever game. If my friend wants to borrow a game to try it out I can lend it to him. I still have digital games, like Wind Waker from the Mario Kart 8 promo, and on my PSN I have loads from sales/PS+, but I tend to stick with my favorites on physical just in case.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh again, I can completely understand a preference for physical; but to say digital games "aren't viable" is, in my opinion, completely ludicrous.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

jivjov posted:

Oh again, I can completely understand a preference for physical; but to say digital games "aren't viable" is, in my opinion, completely ludicrous.

They aren't viable if you're buying them through Nintendo. Cracked your 3DS screen by accident? Oops, there goes all your digital purchases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slur posted:

They aren't viable if you're buying them through Nintendo. Cracked your 3DS screen by accident? Oops, there goes all your digital purchases.

You realize Nintendo support will transfer your purchases over to a new system....right?

Again, I will keep saying this, there is nothing wrong with personally preferring physical games over digital ones, but Nintendo has some pretty great incentives for digital purchases and the system isn't even a tenth as bad as the echo chamber wants to think it is.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can just transfer them yourself, though, unless the system's entirely inoperable.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You can't resell digital games once you're done with them. I sell 90% of my games once I've finished them, therefore I always go physical.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

You can't resell digital games once you're done with them. I sell 90% of my games once I've finished them, therefore I always go physical.

I used to do that (usually to make a quick buck whenever GameStop or Vintage Stock would offer a trade in bonus) but I always got the hankering to play whatever it was I just traded in...

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

jivjov posted:

You realize Nintendo support will transfer your purchases over to a new system....right?

Again, I will keep saying this, there is nothing wrong with personally preferring physical games over digital ones, but Nintendo has some pretty great incentives for digital purchases and the system isn't even a tenth as bad as the echo chamber wants to think it is.

What exactly are the great incentives? As you say there's nothing wrong with one preference over another, but the only digital positive to me is not having to carry carts around, versus resell-ability and less hassle if the 3DS gets lost/stolen/broken. In PAL-land most digital titles are a significant amount more expensive than you can get a physical version for at retail.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Froist posted:

What exactly are the great incentives?

They've done a couple promos now where ownership of one title through the eShop gets you a discount on another, there's the Deluxe Digital promo on Wii U, there's the Free Game from MK8 (although that one wasn't eshop exclusive, the free game is).

Plus there's just the overall convenience of having a bunch of titles just ready to go at the push of a button rather than swapping out discs/carts.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

less laughter posted:

I actually buy digital games sometimes just so I won't do this. I like the idea of just having them around indefinitely in case I ever want to play again, or in case I want to let someone else play in the future.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

jivjov posted:

there's the Free Game from MK8 (although that one wasn't eshop exclusive, the free game is).

That's not an incentive for buying digital games, it was just an incentive for buying another game on the system. So it doesn't really have anything to do with this discussion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

That's not an incentive for buying digital games, it was just an incentive for buying another game on the system. So it doesn't really have anything to do with this discussion.

Eh, fair enough, but the free game was digital; could potentially show people "hey, it's super handy to have my free copy of Pikmin just hanging out on the system menu". It's tangentially related.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chronojam posted:

You can just transfer them yourself, though, unless the system's entirely inoperable.

Or stolen. I'm pretty gung-ho about digital games but basically never do on Nintendo systems if I have a choice.

Those of you who do buy digital Nintendo games and live in Japan, though, can now buy eShop digital game codes through Amazon.jp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The digital deluxe promo is why I buy all my WiiU game digitally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm never selling or trading these games anyway, and gently caress boxes and discs.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So hold up, how are you supposed to get the discount for buying both packs if they're being released 7 months apart? I get that you can save $2 if you buy both at once, but are they really expecting you to wait 7 months for that or does pre-ordering them get you that discount up front?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Louisgod posted:

So hold up, how are you supposed to get the discount for buying both packs if they're being released 7 months apart? I get that you can save $2 if you buy both at once, but are they really expecting you to wait 7 months for that or does pre-ordering them get you that discount up front?

I believe you pay the 11.99 now, and then receive both DLC packs when they are released.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I try to download multiplayer titles that I always want to have on hand for a quick game. I downloaded Mario Kart 8, and intend to download Smash and Splatoon, but an adventure game like say Wind Waker I'd rather have on disc.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's a SEASON PASS!!!!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Handsome Ralph posted:

I believe you pay the 11.99 now, and then receive both DLC packs when they are released.

OH welp I should've thought of that considering that's what they did with Awakening. Thanks!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Including Isabelle instead of K.K. Slider - or better yet, Kapp'n - was a huge mistake.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Isabelle NEVER gets a holiday though. She didn't even get to go to the island.

She at least deserves karting with the mayor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Isabelle is the Danica Patrick of Mario Kart, she is my hero, my inspiration.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zenintrude posted:

Including Isabelle instead of K.K. Slider - or better yet, Kapp'n - was a huge mistake.

Isabelle is the best Animal Crossing character in my opinion.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Isabelle was just going out of the village to get some groceries and oh no she's caught in this race somehow!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I didn't even think of K.K. Slider. That would have been awesome. I'll take Isabel, though.

Also, I like that Nintendo is doing something season pass-esque where they actually tell you what you're getting, instead of buying a pig in the a poke like most other companies do anymore.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Echophonic posted:

Man, I didn't even think of K.K. Slider. That would have been awesome. I'll take Isabel, though.

It just occurred to me that Booker and Copper in a crazy police car, Double Dash-style, would have been one of the best things ever.

How do I get Nintendo to pay me for all my good ideas?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I picked up The Fall last night and beat it just now, it's a very good puzzle game worth getting, one question though, does anyone else have issues with freezing or lock ups? I kept having to restart my Wii U due to locking up after the Mainframe Custscene.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Why would they take so long in between releasing each DLC? Aren't people just going to lose interest in that time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's great because it gives me a reason to pull the game back out a few times months down the line. I wish more games would give out new content over such a long period!

But the real reason is that it probably literally takes them that long to make all the new courses.

Also from a business perspective letting people pre-order the bundle now with an immediate bonus for doing so is a great way to combat any potential loss of interest.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think Nintendo wants to keep people playing Mario Kart 8 for a long time, which I assume is the reason it's getting Amiibo support. Releasing a good chunk of extra content later on down the line is a pretty good way to keep people interested/get people interested again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It keeps people like me from trading the game in when I stop playing it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Davincie posted:

Why would they take so long in between releasing each DLC? Aren't people just going to lose interest in that time

If there's one thing Mario Kart games don't do it's sell forever

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 28):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Kart 8 (update)
WII U eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - €8.99 / £6.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Zen Pinball 2 Extra Tables - €2.99 / £2.39 each, includes free trials
  • The Walking Dead
  • Doctor Strange
  • Deadpool
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.79
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until September 11
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 until September 11
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £4.99 if you own the 3DS version, runs until September 25

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Outback Pet Rescue 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man V (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival (3DS) - €19.95 / £17.99 until September 5
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until September 11
    Van Helsing Sniper ZX100 (3DS) - €2.69 / £2.69 until September 24

NA update (week of August 28):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - $19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Mario Kart 8 (update)
WII U eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - $8.99
    The Fall - $9.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man X3 (SNES) - $7.99
    Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES) - $4.99
    Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (NES, September 1) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U eShop) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior (Wii U VC) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers (Wii U VC) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Wii U VC) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Wii U VC) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - $1.49 until September 10
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $3.99 until September 11
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until September 11

3DS eSHOP
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (August 29) - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Azure Striker Gunvolt (August 29) - $14.99
    Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter - $7.99
    Outback Pet Rescue 3D - ?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt, get Mighty Gunvolt for free! (3DS eShop) - available until November 28
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $14.99 until September 1
    Conception 2 (3DS) - $29.99 until September 1
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until September 1
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $14.99 until September 1
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $19.99 until September 1
    Shin Megami Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $14.99 until September 1
    Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers (3DS) - $14.99 until September 1
    Travel Adventures with Hello Kitty (3DS) - $9.99 until September 1
    Me and My Furry Patients 3D (3DS) - $9.99 until September 3
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Resident Evil: Mercenaries (3DS) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    Super Street Fighter 4 3D (3DS) - "up to 60% off" until September 4
    European Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop) - $1.69 until September 4
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until September 7
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - $7.49 until September 11
    Quell Reflect (3DS eShop) - $2.79 until September 11
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until September 18
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Baseball (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 7
    Dr. Mario Express (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Excitebike (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Mario Golf (3DS VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Puzzle League Express (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Starfox 64 (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until September 7
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Vegas Stakes (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until September 7

NOA didn't list the sales prices for the Capcom sale, so if you see 'em on the store, post 'em!

Layton x AA is getting a midnight (eastern) release on the eShop, for those who wanted to know. Remember, it's out tomorrow, not today.

Gunvolt buyers, take note: if you buy the game before the end of November you'll be able to claim a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt, a pseudo-8-bit game starring Gunvolt and Beck from Mighty No.9; I believe the free code is supposed to appear on your digital receipt, which you can view in the settings menu of the eShop. Again, Gunvolt's not out until tomorrow.

SteamWorld Dig's cross-buy discount is only available in PAL-land due to the fact that NOA still doesn't support cross-buy for whatever reason. Oh well, it's not a huge discount to begin with.

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight is probably best remembered for being neither a Street Fighter nor a Final Fight game, but it's actually a pretty neat, idiosyncratic action game, and I don't think it's been re-released until now. No idea why it's coming out on Monday, that's kinda odd.

(NOA is getting Nobunaga's Ambition on the Wii U VC next week, incidentally.)

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
FINALLY the US is getting Donkey Kong Jr. Math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is Layton X AA getting a retail release? It's one of those games I'll likely be sharing with my brother, so I'd prefer not to get it on the eshop.