Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
She gets a lot of views from me because I can never sit through the whole thing and have to watch it in fragments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

She doesn't really offer a platform for legit discussion, and she's been confirmed to delete supportive comments, most likely to change the narrative in her favor. YouTube comments can get really awful, but this is closer to censorship.

Why not post another 4-chan screenshot with arrows on it and names underlined to show how bad it is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fatkraken posted:

A friend of mine made a short video where she pointed out that in League of Legends, the male character list includes a variety of body types, styles of dress, several non human monsters, and a bunch of weird, ugly and fat dudes, while the female list includes exactly one monster, and every single other character has the same body type or is a disturbingly fetishized toddler, 90% of their outfits are sexualized, and that all but one of the female monster characters start out as a sexy lady in revealing clothing and only transform into dragons/spiders etc part way through the battle.

Even this video, which was pointing out the obvious and really not going into a great deal of detail or theory, attracted a ton of comments justifying the clear imbalance, and a bunch more pointing out that there were one or two female characters that didn't fit the pattern therefore there was obviously no problem and the game was had a fair and balanced approach to the genders.

Basically, the type of people who care about games enough to argue about them on the internet are pretty loving dense and desperate to justify anything their game-maker gods do, no matter how obviously many of those choices are catering to teenage male wank fantasies.

Now let me explain you why those numbers are incorrect and protect a game that I like from... Oh, sorry, I don't care enough.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Madcosby posted:

I wonder what percentage of Anita's video views are just people watching looking for something to make them angry

Her career both at the beginning and continuing relies on angry nerds publicly soiling themselves.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Now let me explain you why those numbers are incorrect and protect a game that I like from... Oh, sorry, I don't care enough.
leaguebabbies everyone

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Cycloneman posted:

Lying is trivial when no one fact checks you; extraordinarily difficult when people do. People like Zoe get used to just being able to lie to people's faces without evidence because it works, because most people don't bother to fact check other people (because, you know, :effort:). The problem is that once they become recognized as untrustworthy, all their talent at lying to your face becomes pointless because they never learned to fake a paper trail, or to keep their lies within the realm of the plausible-on-the-evidence. So they say things like, "I tweeted like four times about how I was concerned about their transphobic policies" and then somebody screencaps their big twitter storm where they DDOS the site, and it's like, WHOOPS.

Agreed, but tell me about the sister loving

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mattjpwns posted:

Try putting this on for the soundtrack when doing catch up reading for extra Internet Drama atmosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfhAFA2yFE

Put this in the OP please.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Slanderer posted:

People don't get mad at her videos because they are intro-level stuff, but instead because they can't loving handle intro level criticism. All you need to do is point out something basic and obvious and people get frothing mad about feminazis

any actual academic criticism would be lost on gamers lol

hahahaha this thread keeps on delivering the genderqueer laughs

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Azraelle posted:

Why not post another 4-chan screenshot with arrows on it and names underlined to show how bad it is.

I feel unsafe in this thread

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
#woah #wait #holdup starter level video game critic here & theres basically semen slidin off my face at all times

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Azraelle posted:

Why are you being so sexist?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You think you can even handle this youtube of me being like 'bwaaaaa' at a clip of bayonetta? Can you??? Can you????? heres my paypal address:

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

I hadn't seen this before but it makes me happy.

Although I don't condone all the misogynistic poo poo and death threats I really dislike Anika Sarkeesian. She deserves nothing but to be ignored and all the publicity she gets is just infuriating to real scientists who have to jump through hoop after hoop to earn their PhDs and make it as an academic. It has already been said that her videos are grade-school quality and not even worth looking at for a 101 introduction. She throws around an occasional five dollar word from an introductory sociology book while committing the biggest absolute cardinal crime in academia - she forms her opinion before doing research and only presents material that supports her theory. Her videos would fail as a honours level presentation.

In future anytime she's mentioned I'm just going to link those TFYC videos as their quality is orders of magnitude better and hopefully in time she'll be forgotten.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
She has a point, there are a whole lot of dead hookers in video games

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Arian_Samurai posted:

She has a point, there are a whole lot of dead hookers in video games

art imitates life

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jombo posted:

I hadn't seen this before but it makes me happy.

Although I don't condone all the misogynistic poo poo and death threats I really dislike Anika Sarkeesian. She deserves nothing but to be ignored and all the publicity she gets is just infuriating to real scientists who have to jump through hoop after hoop to earn their PhDs and make it as an academic. It has already been said that her videos are grade-school quality and not even worth looking at for a 101 introduction. She throws around an occasional five dollar word from an introductory sociology book while committing the biggest absolute cardinal crime in academia - she forms her opinion before doing research and only presents material that supports her theory. Her videos would fail as a honours level presentation.

In future anytime she's mentioned I'm just going to link those TFYC videos as their quality is orders of magnitude better and hopefully in time she'll be forgotten.

"Making it as an academic" is getting a lot of views on youtube videos??

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the games made for women are casual bullshit like Farmville and Bejeweled. The people fighting against lady gamers are doing it to save humanity from such games.

Games made by women are even worse than games made for them. Most of them are not even considered games. They are more like interactive romance novels.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DrPlump posted:

All the games made for women are casual bullshit like Farmville and Bejeweled. The people fighting against lady gamers are doing it to save humanity from such games.

Games made by women are even worse than games made for them. Most of them are not even considered games. They are more like interactive romance novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQk_z_vnGGg

Tomb Raider was not a romance novel either.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Cycloneman posted:

Lying is trivial when no one fact checks you; extraordinarily difficult when people do. People like Zoe get used to just being able to lie to people's faces without evidence because it works, because most people don't bother to fact check other people (because, you know, :effort:). The problem is that once they become recognized as untrustworthy, all their talent at lying to your face becomes pointless because they never learned to fake a paper trail, or to keep their lies within the realm of the plausible-on-the-evidence. So they say things like, "I tweeted like four times about how I was concerned about their transphobic policies" and then somebody screencaps their big twitter storm where they DDOS the site, and it's like, WHOOPS.

Oh and to add on to this, a bunch of people simply don't want to know the truth if they think it will inconvenience them or prove them wrong. And other people will try as hard as possible not to get involved with something. Because look, checking if Zoe is not being entirely truthful now for her loyal followers is pretty drat simple at this point. Then there's also the point that some people will defend their friends to an insane degree.

Like hell, I remember years ago I was involved with a convention. One of the guys involved went completely nuts and started sending massive amounts of text messages to girls also involved with the con who apparently rejected him and eventually even myself. You'd think with text messages to check if the guy's lying, it would be pretty easy to remove him. However people kept getting stonewalled with "It's a private matter, not part of the con" and people would flat out refuse to see them. A whole bunch of people involved just said "I don't want to get involved". So the result was nothing was done, rear end in a top hat continued on and people left as a result. Years later whenever the incident would be brought up (cause it was epic) they'd legit say that they knew he wasn't lying because no one showed them any messages, with the response of "hey I still got mine" and then they'd retreat to it was a previous committee dealing with it and it was a long time ago (more or less same people). People that had outright told me to my face that "they didn't want to get involved" then would say "I would have gotten involved if I saw the text messages back then".

Sadly cognitive dissonance and never admitting to failure overrides peoples morality and ethics by a lot

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Madcosby posted:

"Making it as an academic" is getting a lot of views on youtube videos??

'Making it as an academic' means eating ramen in the hope one day you'll get some recognition that will enable you to afford the fancy brand of ramen

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

DrPlump posted:

Amy Hennig, Creative Director for the Legacy of Kain and Uncharted series would like to have a word with you.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
saw a wsj article about the rise of the female gamer, but it was actually about bejweled and candy crush saga

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
loving casuals

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DrPlump posted:

Lol, because the main audience of visual novels are fat weaboos. There's a Japanese counterpart to male-oriented games, though, crafted specifically to cater to female demographics. It's called otome and it's not very popular outside of Japan, mostly because it's equally horrible as male-oriented visual novels.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

macnbc posted:

Amy Hennig, Creative Director for the Legacy of Kain and Uncharted series would like to have a word with you.

Also Carol Shaw, who made River Raid and a whole bunch of early Atari games, and I'm damned if I'm gonna let people talk poo poo about River Raid. :colbert:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

hahahaha this thread keeps on delivering the genderqueer laughs

f u my game is going to be loving REAL

at the end there are three buttons (player choice is impt). the red button makes everyone in the world the same gender. the green button makes everyone have no gender.

but the blue button will make everyone all genders

games are art.

Papa Daedalus
Aug 11, 2014

Slanderer posted:

but the blue button will make everyone all genders

When everybody is all genders...

...no-one is.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

DrPlump posted:

Is this a joke or

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DrPlump posted:

lol where's this from?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

This thread is such a mixed bag of 4chan conspiracy theorists and goons mocking the situation that I literally can't distinguish the satire

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
video games .. possible venue for a few of my erotic novels?? multiple choice incest and dubcon paths... this is a game changer folks

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Take everything as seriously as possible, even suspected jokes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

DrPlump posted:

*nods respectfully towards you*

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Erata posted:

Any suspected joke could be a subversive misogynist message in disguise citizen! We must always stay vigilant!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Erata posted:

looks like I just found my new candidate for moderator

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The finest form of video game art are those weeaboo interactive novels where the baka gaijan goes to glorious nippon and meets a kawaii...

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Germstore posted:

The finest form of video game art are those weeaboo interactive novels where the baka gaijan goes to glorious nippon and meets a kawaii...

Tell me more... :stare:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Germstore posted:

I like the ones where you play as a hotshot detective but the extent of crime you're investigating is girls being sexual

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
http://socialjusticevivian.tumblr.com

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Tim Shafer's twitter feed for the past 24 hours has been loving hysterical. He said nice things about Anita Sarkeesian, and every time someone told him that they were blocking him he responded by giving away Steam codes.

• Locked thread