Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't think that's russ but if it is his armor is supposed to be really cold or something

edit: also i'm pretty sure prospero isn't a desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It is Russ.

Prospero is space Egypt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vigorous sodomy posted:

Why is Russ' breath misting on a hot desert planet like Prospero?

Abnett commonly describes sorcery as creating unnatural chills and frosting surfaces, etc.

vigorous sodomy posted:

It is Russ.

Prospero is space Egypt.

Egypt isn't really all desert, the parts most people lived in were super fertile.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Because he's ice cold. :c00lbert:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

Maybe because of the Wolves' preference for cold, the Mechanicus has modified their armor's internal climate to match the temperature of Fenris. Their internal body temperature chills the breath in their lungs, causing it to condense in the warm air when exhaled.

Also, there is nothing stating that Prospero is a hot, desert-like planet. You're inferring that due to the Thousand Sons having an Egyptian theme.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yes, but this is GW we're talking about here - they aren't clever enough by half to have their space Egyptians living in interesting or alternate climates.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe because of the Wolves' preference for cold, the Mechanicus has modified their armor's internal climate to match the temperature of Fenris. Their internal body temperature chills the breath in their lungs, causing it to condense in the warm air when exhaled.

Also, there is nothing stating that Prospero is a hot, desert-like planet. You're inferring that due to the Thousand Sons having an Egyptian theme.

It's a safe assumption considering. Maybe Prospero is the space Nile basin.

I would accept that Russ, like Mortarion, has his armor produce ice cold air or super refrigeration like Mortys poison air inhaler.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also void shields + sustained orbital bombardment probably gently caress with the climate something fierce.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Also void shields + sustained orbital bombardment probably gently caress with the climate something fierce.

Theres a passage in one of the Gaunts Ghosts books that imperial invasion fleets are usually heralded by storms, thunder, lightning and rain. Not for any divine reason, but because youre parking tons of fuckin spaceships in the upper atmosphere, forcing pressure downward, causing rain and interrupting climate patterns. Dropships slice through the atmosphere, giving off charges and shot, and again making rain. Its cool he did a better job describing it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Theres a passage in one of the Gaunts Ghosts books that imperial invasion fleets are usually heralded by storms, thunder, lightning and rain. Not for any divine reason, but because youre parking tons of fuckin spaceships in the upper atmosphere, forcing pressure downward, causing rain and interrupting climate patterns. Dropships slice through the atmosphere, giving off charges and shot, and again making rain. Its cool he did a better job describing it

That's a really cool idea that I'm not surprised is used more often because it's way too complex for most GW writers to understand or explain beyond "Emprah's wrath!"

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I wasn't a huge fan of Know no Fear but Abnett came closest to what I've read in 40k to describing the terrifying scale of actual planetary war. Titans booming war horns and ships falling into oceans, not a nice time to be a small fleshbag human.

It seems McNeil has coined the term 'transhuman dread' in Vengeful Spirit. I hope that doesn't catch on.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

maev posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Know no Fear but Abnett came closest to what I've read in 40k to describing the terrifying scale of actual planetary war. Titans booming war horns and ships falling into oceans, not a nice time to be a small fleshbag human.

It seems McNeil has coined the term 'transhuman dread' in Vengeful Spirit. I hope that doesn't catch on.

Abnett used the term in a short story ("Little Horus") a couple years back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a perfectly valid phrase describing a concept not unique to 40k.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nothing's been indicated of Prospero's climate. Tizca, the only real city on Prospero, consists mainly of pyramid-shaped arcologies, but that's it.

The Word Bearers, on the other hand, are from a desert planet to go along with being a bunch of evil religious fanatics...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
They also show that in Betrayer, with tons of craft parked in low orbit or making planetfall causing continent-sized storms.

Also, an artist read the NL trilogy and thought that instead of just sending a fanbot message to ADB, he should paint one.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

quote:

The Word Bearers, on the other hand, are from a desert planet to go along with being a bunch of evil religious fanatics...

This was a recent ADB thing and he can gently caress himself for doing it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sephyr posted:

They also show that in Betrayer, with tons of craft parked in low orbit or making planetfall causing continent-sized storms.

Also, an artist read the NL trilogy and thought that instead of just sending a fanbot message to ADB, he should paint one.

I'd love someone to 'fix' the Night Lords, as a colour scheme. Some of the Legions updated really well to less 80's aesthetic, (for example, they ditched the other colours on Ultramarines, and used the Gold trim instead of Yellow) the main Loyalists especially, but the dark blue/bronze/blood red of the Night Lords just ends up looking a little silly on them as an army.

They look so sweet in the greyscale drawings, and I wish I could find any that looked as good in colour.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have seen the list of recommended books in the OP but i need to know which Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k novels are okay, good or great since i plan on buying more books on the 6th of September.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Shockeh posted:

I'd love someone to 'fix' the Night Lords, as a colour scheme. Some of the Legions updated really well to less 80's aesthetic, (for example, they ditched the other colours on Ultramarines, and used the Gold trim instead of Yellow) the main Loyalists especially, but the dark blue/bronze/blood red of the Night Lords just ends up looking a little silly on them as an army.

They look so sweet in the greyscale drawings, and I wish I could find any that looked as good in colour.

I dunno, I thought it looked good on the tabletop when done passably.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Now if only they sorted out the Space Wolves' garish baby blue and yellow. I thought with the *gunmetal grey* of the wolves in the horus heresy novels they'd have gone a little more grimdark looking for the new codex. But no, they're even *more* blue. :gonk:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

(for example, they ditched the other colours on Ultramarines, and used the Gold trim instead of Yellow)
That's a company-specific thing IIRC. There's also red and green trimmed companies.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Rat posted:

Wtf is the dude on the left doing?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skarsnik posted:

Wtf is the dude on the left doing?

At a guess? Dying. :commissar:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

He's doing some John Woo Matrix dive poo poo. Or he slipped on a banana peel while shooting. :iiam:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

The Sabbat Worlds Crusade lorebook does make a couple mentions that Balhaut sustained so much orbital bombardment that it seriously hosed over part of its coastline around the capitol and even made parts of the continental shelf collapse.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Rat posted:

Well, this is also a little off the 'standard' scheme for them - Very little of the (garish, officially) red, no Legion symbols, no bat wings and you've gone Bronze, rather than Gold for the trim.
(Don't want to sound negative on your minis by the way, anyone actually bothering to paint their minis deserves some love, to my mind.)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Those minis look ancient, old school bolt pistols from second edition and world eater bodies. I like the Night Lords scheme, bat winged helmets aside.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have a hq version of that night lords fan art?

Or any decent night lords art

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

maev posted:

This was a recent ADB thing and he can gently caress himself for doing it.

You do realize that ADB does not dictate the fluff and background for 40K, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Talon of Horus has shipped - I want it now I want it now I want it now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wait, why would anyone have a problem with the Word Bearers hailing from a holy city in the desert? That's basically Jerusalem, or Alexandria.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wait, why would anyone have a problem with the Word Bearers hailing from a holy city in the desert? That's basically Jerusalem, or Alexandria.

You don't see how a bunch of religious zealots, with brown skin, from a desert environment remind you of a certain group of people on earth? And when those religious zealots are made out to be the most evil space marines of all the evil space marines, you don't think that's problematic?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

kanonvandekempen posted:

You don't see how a bunch of religious zealots, with brown skin, from a desert environment remind you of a certain group of people on earth? And when those religious zealots are made out to be the most evil space marines of all the evil space marines, you don't think that's problematic?

Yeah, well, Lorgarhu Ackbar.

In all seriousness the rituals and religion of chaos resembles pretty much no earth religion that I know of.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 28, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In this particular case it is Babylon, right down to the hanging gardens. But the complaint is that being religious fanatics from a desert planet they must be stand ins for Muslims.

It's like Star Wars with the Yuzzem Vong, people insisted that they must be rip offs of Muslims, when in reality they were based off the Aztecs. The Word Bearers are being compared to Muslims, but their planet is based off the Babylonians.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kanonvandekempen posted:

Wow, suggesting that all religious fanatics or even Muslim religious fanatics are Arabs from desert countries is racist as hell, man. You better check yourself.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wow, suggesting that all religious fanatics or even Muslim religious fanatics are Arabs from desert countries is racist as hell, man. You better check yourself.

No, no - you're all wrong! When people race to conclusions like that, they are protecting the downtrodden who obviously can't speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

kanonvandekempen posted:

Again, someone inferring something that isn't there - Lorgar has golden skin, not brown. Nowhere does it state that any of the Word Bearers are brown-skinned.

In addition, the Word Bearers were zealots for the Emperor before Colchis and Lorgar even entered the picture.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Turn left thread turn left!!!Lets talk about shooty mans and skulls no reason for a sjw slap fight about religious sensitivity in 40k we all enjoy the same things here, blood and skulls, skulls and blood for the blood god and skulls for His throne

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

Doesn't really remind me of any specific people, given that all Abrahamic religions sprang from the same area.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
The Word Bearers were goth pale in the descriptions from the Word Bearers trilogy, while this might be ten thousand years of warp skin lightening I always thought they resembled highly ornate Catholic madmen. Choosing to render them dusky skinned or 'persian' as ADB said isn't bad in itself, but is clearly a bit of a space muslim vibe. You can call it babylonian or 'abrahamic' but it doesn't stand entirely well with me that the most fanatical religious evil marines are now middle eastern.

This might come across as double standards or whatever but when you deliberately change a legion's ethnicity to 'match' their underlying theme it becomes problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone listened to part 1 of the Tranzia Rebellion yet? I haven't heard anything about it and haven't had the time or will to see if it is as mediocre as the majority of the audio dramas.