Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So FF13-2 continues to be loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Silver Striker posted:

3 on the DS is one of my favorites :colbert: I've played through it like 3 times now and I never have an issue outside of the final dungeon which is stupid and bad. People call it grindy but I seriously never had to grind (aside from the final dungeon, which I will never defend). I really like how the jobs worked :shrug:

It's amazing how much the tiny fixes broke the last dungeon. If you could have a save point or could teleport out of the final dungeon after the point of no return, it would be much better. Or unnerf the superior classes you're supposed to be using when you get the last crystal.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

It's by the same singer behind the Devil May Cry 3 songs. Apparently, Toriyama wanted a death metal remix when riding a Chocobo that was hard to tame.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

It's amazing how much the tiny fixes broke the last dungeon. If you could have a save point or could teleport out of the final dungeon after the point of no return, it would be much better. Or unnerf the superior classes you're supposed to be using when you get the last crystal.

Apparently they held a poll somewhere on whether or not to include a save point in the final dungeon. I'm sure you can guess which side won.

I mean, that wouldn't have solved anywhere near all of the problems with that area. But it would have helped. It seriously just feels like Mother 1 or something for the NES where they admitted that when it came time to balance the final area they were like "Eh, whatever" and just shipped it. You're somewhere in the 40s probably and then the game expects you to be in the 60s. Granted, they provide you with an extremely fast grinding spot (Bahamut's area, second screen), but you're never told this and it's about as far away as possible from the final dungeon. Plus you have to use the lovely slow airship to go over mountains.

Like I said... I love FF3 DS, but gently caress that final dungeon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I'm not entirely sure why we never got SD3 stateside. I remember going to the local library to keep up with gaming news from the Nintendo Power issues they had (good grief, where has the time gone) and reading up on SD3 coverage. They definitely intended to bring it over, but... never did. Surely someone out there knows why.
It was probably a combination of having too much weird poo poo to censor (one or two massacred villages, characters sleeping in the nude, slave and drug trade, the whole choke collar thing, just to name a few) and having a hugely extensive script. It didn't use any clever chips like Star Fox or Star Ocean, but the game is absolutely huge and if FF6 and even Secret of Mana pushed the boundaries of the cart size due to the English translation, I don't even wanna imagine what SD3 would've been like (or, as would probably have been necessary, how truncated the translation would've been to fit).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

While we're on the topic of Square classics that are better than FF, what about those...uh, Seiken Densetsu games? Always see SD3 listed as one of the best games of its time. And yet we never got that one I take it from the fact it wasn't called "[Something] Mana".

The first four are great, then the series kinda goes downhill starting with Sword, leading into their "World of Mana" initiative where they released several mediocre games that ended up killing the series until the recently-announced Circle of Mana.

But the first four are solid action RPGs (even though the fourth is more of a beat-em-up) with fantastic music and beautiful visuals. Legend of Mana's on my shortlist of my all-time favorite games simply due to its amazing presentation. I'd recommend checking out Secret of Mana or SD3 first, though, as those two are probably the pinnacle of the series according to most people. Final Fantasy Adventure's also very solid though and I feel has aged better than its remake Sword of Mana, which has some balance problems and overcomplicates the hell out of a rather simple story.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I'm not entirely sure why we never got SD3 stateside. I remember going to the local library to keep up with gaming news from the Nintendo Power issues they had (good grief, where has the time gone) and reading up on SD3 coverage. They definitely intended to bring it over, but... never did. Surely someone out there knows why.

I can tell you it's not a name issue, though, it was being marketed as "Secret of Mana 2" at the time.

It's because it was a buggy mess (a lot of things outright don't work, or don't work like they should), and Square didn't feel like paying what it would cost to fix it. Nintendo was very inconsistent with their bug policy at the time, but SD3 had a fairly good chance of being rejected without some fixes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

More people need to play DQ5.

This.

NikkolasKing posted:

While we're on the topic of Square classics that are better than FF, what about those...uh, Seiken Densetsu games? Always see SD3 listed as one of the best games of its time. And yet we never got that one I take it from the fact it wasn't called "[Something] Mana".

I wouldn't call it one of the best games of its time, since it has a lot of flaws holding it back, but it does a lot of interesting things such as the variable character openings. I only wish there were more unique team interactions, but that's probably pushing the SNES cart already. The Mana games aren't exactly the most balanced games especially in hindsight, but their presentation basically overshadowed a lot of their flaws and they had the novelty of being multiplayer rpgs as well. Still, they are in the running for the best rpg soundtracks of their time though.

Another Square RPG I always favored was Live a Live even though it also had a lot of gameplay balance problems, but I still really love a lot of what it tries to do. Course, I'm a sucker for stories that explore what defines heroes, so Live a Live got a lot of points from me for that. Also one of the first RPGs that Yoko Shimomura composed for, so it has some decent tracks which are fairly varied since there are multiple time periods.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

After Years is a fun enough game with a mostly bad story with a few clever moments.

After Years is very much a fanboy's game; yeah, it didn't have a brilliant plot, but it was interesting to see the plot involving the characters from the previous game nearly two decades after the fact. The episodic style kinda lent itself to help focus on and develop the original cast's maturation to an extent (it would've been great if there was a better writer at the helm).

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

13-2 is pretty loving great. I enjoyed it a lot and if I could've gotten a platinum trophy (have some unfortunate bug where a specific thing isn't happening to get some fragment) it would've been my first platinum trophy. I had an immensely good time with that game.

And I may be in some minority but I feel overall the 13 series (particularly 1 and 2) has some pretty good music. Such as the metal chocobo theme.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dreffen posted:

13-2 is pretty loving great. I enjoyed it a lot and if I could've gotten a platinum trophy (have some unfortunate bug where a specific thing isn't happening to get some fragment) it would've been my first platinum trophy. I had an immensely good time with that game.

And I may be in some minority but I feel overall the 13 series (particularly 1 and 2) has some pretty good music. Such as the metal chocobo theme.

I don't think it's really that uncommon of an opinion that the 13 series has great music.

I just got around to finishing Lightning Returns, and god drat the final pre-credits cutscene is the most ridiculously anime thing and I loved every minute of it. 9/10 would watch again, loses a point for not enough Sazh. Helps that the final boss was fun and I was using a propeller hat so that the Lightning plane could zoom around in space. I still strongly consider 13-3 to be the best of the three games overall (13-1 I like well enough, not a fan of 13-2 at all apart from its hilarious ending), and I enjoyed it the whole way through. I hope they implement a lot of the ideas they tried here in later games. It's fun to play, reasonably well balanced if you don't try to break it, customization was fun and the writing decent enough by FF's low standards, and it was rewarding to improve at it. People who dislike it take the FF series too seriously.

I'd buy a 13-4 in the same style without a second thought.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

chumbler posted:

I don't think it's really that uncommon of an opinion that the 13 series has great music.

I just got around to finishing Lightning Returns, and god drat the final pre-credits cutscene is the most ridiculously anime thing and I loved every minute of it. 9/10 would watch again, loses a point for not enough Sazh. Helps that the final boss was fun and I was using a propeller hat so that the Lightning plane could zoom around in space. I still strongly consider 13-3 to be the best of the three games overall (13-1 I like well enough, not a fan of 13-2 at all apart from its hilarious ending), and I enjoyed it the whole way through. I hope they implement a lot of the ideas they tried here in later games. It's fun to play, reasonably well balanced if you don't try to break it, customization was fun and the writing decent enough by FF's low standards, and it was rewarding to improve at it. People who dislike it take the FF series too seriously.

Sadly, the game got bad reviews and sold poorly. So even though it was definitely a step in the right direction, they will over-react to the poor reception and never do anything like it again.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

chumbler posted:

poo poo I'd hope not. More often than not I still see people who are in general bitter about 13 as a whole it seems. It's got great music.

I should probably go finish Lightning Returns because I've managed to stay unspoiled on the ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dreffen posted:

poo poo I'd hope not. More often than not I still see people who are in general bitter about 13 as a whole it seems. It's got great music.

I should probably go finish Lightning Returns because I've managed to stay unspoiled on the ending.

Your enjoyment of the ending of Lightning Returns will be inversely proportional to how seriously you take Final Fantasy games, and that's all I'll say on it beyond what I've said already.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Since the thread is on the DQ topic I actually was given DQ9 like a year ago and never started it, how was that one? I also have DQ5 but I think that's one of the really oldschool ones. I played DQ1 and that was... old

Edit: Holy poo poo the chocobo metal song was made by Uematsu

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DQ9 is my only DQ so far, and I liked it well enough. The combat and experience (and job!) system is fantastic, I was just taken aback a little by the realization that literally ever character in your party is a blank slate you create.

To do postgame stuff, you have to do a ridiculous amount of grinding however, that I didn't care for. But the story itself is long and interesting enough to warrant a definite recommendation!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Also, you can't do most of the postgame quests without cheating now or finding someone who already has it, since you can no longer get the DLC.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

chumbler posted:

Your enjoyment of the ending of Lightning Returns will be inversely proportional to how seriously you take Final Fantasy games, and that's all I'll say on it beyond what I've said already.

Final Fantasy is probably the richest tapestry of story since the Bible. I take this very seriously.

I actually just enjoy the dress up simulator part of Lighting Returns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

DQ9 is my only DQ so far, and I liked it well enough. The combat and experience (and job!) system is fantastic, I was just taken aback a little by the realization that literally ever character in your party is a blank slate you create.

To do postgame stuff, you have to do a ridiculous amount of grinding however, that I didn't care for. But the story itself is long and interesting enough to warrant a definite recommendation!

Yeah I'm ok with the blank stuff, the Etrian Odyssey games are similar in that you could make a party that is terrible by mistake. I like job systems!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Also, you can't do most of the postgame quests without cheating now or finding someone who already has it, since you can no longer get the DLC.

Ugh. Ah well from what I hear the game is long enough without them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

You know in all my searches for JRPG recs, Dragon Quest games never come up. I always had them pictured in my mind, and this is based on practically nothing, as these rather bare-bones stock fantasy things. Maybe fun to play but nothing else of note. I tend to prefer JRPGs with a lot of story emphasis and I don't think I've ever had a DQ game suggested to me on the basis of its story. I also never hear the soundtracks for the games listed as particularly amazing either. (and I spend a lot of time looking up music lists for games on YT since OSTs matter a lot to me)

But these posts here coincide with posts elsewhere I was reading listing the DQ games as some of the best JRPGs across the generations. So maybe I need to rethink my old conceptions.

If you want an amazing soundtrack, you should look up their Symphonic Suites. Dragon Quest II's my favourite, with III following just behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHzYOUfBxM&t=562s
Second Overworld Theme
Ending Credits Theme

The best game to start with is the remake of Dragon Quest III for the SNES. It's got a fan translation now, and the pacing is better than any other game in the series. For one, your character sprints around towns and dungeons, and it's also the only game where you start off with four party members, with jobs you can assign to them.

Being the last Dragon Quest game on the SNES, it looks absolutely gorgeous. It uses a 4MB cartridge like Dragon Quest VI, but since the game isn't as long they managed to pack the game with detail and fluid animations for the enemies. The animations are much faster in the game than they are in these gifs, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Most of my DQ knowledge comes from playing Dragon Warrior Monsters on the gameboy Color :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Since the thread is on the DQ topic I actually was given DQ9 like a year ago and never started it, how was that one?

It's my favorite in the series. Dragon Quest with a job system, quest tracker, local multiplayer...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

chumbler posted:

It genuinely seems like the 13 trilogy got better as it went on and it took itself less seriously.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dreffen posted:

Please come back and post your opinion of it once you do :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rei_ posted:

It genuinely seems like the 13 trilogy got better as it went on and it took itself less seriously.

Pretty much. The story is still hot garbage, with each game essentially a non-sequitur to the other, but at least it became more entertaining and campy, and had more variety.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well like by 13-2 you're pretty much fighting the Doctor Who equivalent of Sephiroth complete with like weird creepy companion and it's impossible to take that poo poo at face value.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I just found XIII-2 to be a fun adventure across time. Everything was generally optimistic and cheery (excl. when you visit Noel's timeline, and to be honest, I actually felt that bit was handled well). Even when the villain would warn that you would kill the Goddess/end the world, your party ignored it and cheerfully carried on. It was silly and a joy, unlike the self-indulgent XIII. I loved the ending too.

I've tried playing Lightning Returns, but I'm having a hard time getting into it right now. Hearing about how the ending is apparently so bad it's good makes me want to carry on, though. Whenever I go back, I struggle to adjust to the combat. Anyone got any tips on that front?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
On the subject of Dragon Quest, I've finished all of them from I to VI and I am supremely annoyed that the remake of VII isn't showing any signs of getting localized. Guess I should play VIII in the meantime since it gets all the praise, unlike some other VIII I know.

My favorite thing about the newer DQs is the fact that you can talk to your party members who have unique comments for practically all locations and NPCs in the game down to every random townsperson, although the bastards didn't bother localizing that for the DS version of IV.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm kinda surprised to see such praise for DQ9. I like it and all but I honestly think it's one of the weaker entries in the series. Story is a bunch of barely tied together sidequests, some of which are cool and some of which are dumb. Job system is neat except they made it so jobs level at different rates which is supremely annoying. EXP system is probably my least favorite I've ever seen in a videogame because if you have a high level character and a low level character in the same fight basically all of the EXP will go to the high level character. No Casino, so your best bet to make money is really tedious alchemy grinding. There's a lot of randomly generated content, but I spent some time on it and it just felt really tedious and frustrating.

:shrug: It just felt like a huge step down from 8. If I wanted a class system I'd go with 3 or 6, both of which have more enjoyable ones in my opinion. It's by no means a bad game, but I think it's the worst mainline DQ game on the DS by a good margin.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Since the thread is on the DQ topic I actually was given DQ9 like a year ago and never started it, how was that one? I also have DQ5 but I think that's one of the really oldschool ones. I played DQ1 and that was... old

Edit: Holy poo poo the chocobo metal song was made by Uematsu

I found that a lot of Dragon Quest vets don't like it as much as newcomers. DQ9 was more designed around its multiplayer oriented which affected the stuff like the story, class system, and exclusion of systems that used to be in past titles. It has a strong MMORPG influence, such as (largely optional) fetch quests and other generic quests. It's fun if you have friends to play with. However, it will be a step down if you liked DQ games with a strong story arc, party banter, or not getting attacked by monsters when using the menu.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Please come back and post your opinion of it once you do :allears:

It can't be that crazy can it?

... Can it? :ohdear:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

You know in all my searches for JRPG recs, Dragon Quest games never come up. I always had them pictured in my mind, and this is based on practically nothing, as these rather bare-bones stock fantasy things. Maybe fun to play but nothing else of note. I tend to prefer JRPGs with a lot of story emphasis and I don't think I've ever had a DQ game suggested to me on the basis of its story. I also never hear the soundtracks for the games listed as particularly amazing either. (and I spend a lot of time looking up music lists for games on YT since OSTs matter a lot to me)

Can I get your opinion on these?

http://youtu.be/1UHjVnNLnYc (listen to entire thing because it changes at 1:30
http://youtu.be/OlN7mbkslXo
http://youtu.be/YR1kvUHtI_U

Final fantasy does battle and over world better but I would actually say DQ does emotional music better.

That loving Sned posted:

The best game to start with is the remake of Dragon Quest III for the SNES. It's got a fan translation now, and the pacing is better than any other game in the series. For one, your character sprints around towns and dungeons, and it's also the only game where you start off with four party members, with jobs you can assign to them.

Being the last Dragon Quest game on the SNES, it looks absolutely gorgeous. It uses a 4MB cartridge like Dragon Quest VI, but since the game isn't as long they managed to pack the game with detail and fluid animations for the enemies. The animations are much faster in the game than they are in these gifs, though.

I don't think recommending DQ3 to someone who plays RPGs mostly for the story is a good idea. Your characters in DQ3 are just people you buy in a shop. You can trade them in and get new people whenever you want. That's part of the reason DQ3 is my least favorite DQ. If you like RPGs with a good story, you want DQ4, DQ5, or DQ7.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CrashScreen posted:

I've tried playing Lightning Returns, but I'm having a hard time getting into it right now. Hearing about how the ending is apparently so bad it's good makes me want to carry on, though. Whenever I go back, I struggle to adjust to the combat. Anyone got any tips on that front?

Guess it depends on what you're having issues with. The item you get for beating the Yusnaan boss gives 75% physical damage reduction, in exchange for tanking your damage output. The item you get for the Dead Dunes boss does the same thing for magic damage. Combined with a garb you can buy in Yusnaan that gives 15% damage reduction, and arm accessories that give 10% physical or magic damage reduction, you can be 100% impervious to physical or magical damage in that garb. The hit to your own damage output doesn't matter if you use debuffs. You can also use it for staggering magic, since stagger power isn't related to the damage you do. Just get good at switching to the right garb and you'll be very hard to kill.

I always kept specific garb roles in the same slot to make swapping easier. For example, I put the magic garb in the top slot, guarding in the middle, and physical in the bottom. Eventually it becomes pretty instinctual to switch to the right one. You don't really need to put Guard abilities on your magic or physical jobs.

Debuffs are quite powerful, so use them. Thundara and Aerora are the best spells for staggering, since they hit multiple times and hit quickly. You can do bonus damage by timing the button presses of your attacks in a chain to get a golden flash and a chiming sound. For physicals, it's usually just before you hit the enemy, and for magic, it's approximately when the magic is leaving her hand or weapon or whatever.

Beyond that, always be sure to find the Adventuring Essentials merchants to get the Libra info for all the monsters, and practice getting their stagger conditions. Staggering doesn't necessarily make a monster weak to damage- different monsters get different debuffs, usually indicated by status icons by their health bar. Many monsters, especially larger ones, can be staggered multiple times, with additional staggers adding additional weaknesses. Most monsters in each of the four areas share some elemental weaknesses, so set up your attacks accordingly.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Can I get your opinion on these?

http://youtu.be/1UHjVnNLnYc (listen to entire thing because it changes at 1:30
http://youtu.be/OlN7mbkslXo
http://youtu.be/YR1kvUHtI_U

Final fantasy does battle and over world better but I would actually say DQ does emotional music better.

Like I mentioned, I played DQs in order so hearing Heavenly Flight (which originated from III if I'm not mistaken) in each title was always a nice moment for me.

Also speaking of music, today I randomly stumbled on this video again after several years and it's still pretty great. FF IV spoilers, if someone cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So here's a fun little known fact about Final Fantasy 9: some equipment will actually give its wearer an elemental weakness. One of the first pieces of armor, the silk shirt, has the description "Silk burns easily" and it does in fact grant a weakness to fire. That description is literally your only clue that this is the case, and in fact many other armors and accessories have weaknesses, without any indication! For example, literally every robe in the game except for the robe of lords is also weak to fire. Also the reflect ring is weak to fire, ice, and lightning, so that's a lot of fun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Starting Final Fantasy 4 PSP edition. Anything I should know? I do plan to do the After Years content.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hironobu Sakaguchi is speaking today at PAX. You can see it here: http://www.twitch.tv/pax

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Starting Final Fantasy 4 PSP edition. Anything I should know? I do plan to do the After Years content.

Nothing particular to remember in the PSP edition.

There are some missable characters in The After Years. Most of nobodies but you'll want to look up how to save them because at least one major character can die if you're not careful.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

So here's a fun little known fact about Final Fantasy 9: some equipment will actually give its wearer an elemental weakness. One of the first pieces of armor, the silk shirt, has the description "Silk burns easily" and it does in fact grant a weakness to fire. That description is literally your only clue that this is the case, and in fact many other armors and accessories have weaknesses, without any indication! For example, literally every robe in the game except for the robe of lords is also weak to fire. Also the reflect ring is weak to fire, ice, and lightning, so that's a lot of fun.

Was there any decent LP made for FF 8 and 9? Wanted to relive the story but can't be arsed to waste 100+ hours on the games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

For IX, yeah. I don't think there are any actually completed VIII LPs.