Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007
haha game stories loving SUCK nowadays. why can't they have GOOD STORIES, like super mario world???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

big duck equals goose posted:

Gone home is a bad game because it isn't fun. Gone home is an ok story about Portland lesbians, though.
It wasn't trying to be fun

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

We're reaching the point where critical darlings do away with gameplay entirely and are vague experiments in storytelling done up in old game engines

So maybe we can get to the point where we acknowledge that Mario Kart and Gone Home aren't variations of the same product and probably shouldn't be reviewed alongside each other using completely different criteria for what a "9 out of 10" means

If you want to pretend you're doing real grown up criticism, do away with numerical scores entirely.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
haha, the bad boys of weird twitter have resumed harassing that 13 year old because he tweeted that cheating on your boyfriend is a mean thing to do

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

jpmeyer posted:

haha, the bad boys of weird twitter have resumed harassing that 13 year old because he tweeted that cheating on your boyfriend is a mean thing to do

hungry for indie dev slizz

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Froghammer posted:

It wasn't trying to be fun

Oh, that explains why I didn't enjoy playing it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

If you want to pretend you're doing real grown up criticism, do away with numerical scores entirely.

That's kind of what I meant

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

Sorry, I mean like myst without gameplay or puzzles.

good thing it wasn't a mediocre puzzle game, then!!!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
more like gone HOMO hahaha just trying my hand at some serious game journalism here

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Fatkraken posted:

I have no problem judging people on how they choose to present themselves to the world. I wouldn't judge anyone for being naturally ugly, but awful haircuts/facial hair and terrible hats are inexcusable and entirely avoidable. The fact these guys CHOOSE to look like this speaks volumes.
I think they look awful too but there's a lot of holier-than-thou people getting offended about everything yet having no problem insulting virgins.

Slanderer posted:

Zelda and Mario were great, but they were still iterative and not really innovative. critics liked gone home for actually doing something that felt new (expanding the interacalary segments of FPS shooters and survival horror games, that are based on narratives through exploration, into a full game)
there shouldn't be a yearly gone home franchise with bitchin DLC packs, but it was a cool game when it was released.

Also it can be described as a love story between a lesbian and the idea of a ghost

Yeah but did Gone Home have Charles Martinez making cat noises?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just because your critics are misogynist monkey-people who would never be allowed outside in a well run society does not make 1) you right or 2) their individual criticisms of you 100% invalid. if pua_god_420 says you are corrupt and nepotistic, and it happens to be true, then it's true even if he lives in a basement covered in naked lady/potleaf posters.

anyways, anita sarkeesian is a pretty smart lady, since she's 100% grifter/scammer. she intentionally does her poo poo in the most inflammatory possible way and channels comments towards already festering misogynistic pits like 4chan, then highlights the response as a way of scaring up more money. she may even be smart enough to do a good job on her videos, but if so she doesn't bother trying because they are utter garbage. i totally respect her though, by playing two extremist sides off against each other she can ride to fame on the back of one and siphon huge amounts of money off from the other-- that's some top tier social engineering. the point of tropes vs women isn't to educate anyone, it's to make a group of vile shits so mad that they spew venom all over her so a group of almost-as-vile idiots feel bad for her and donate tons of money to her cause. if you donated to anita sarkeesian you got taken for a ride so congrats i guess. if her presentations were actually working to reduce or eliminate sexism in the industry she'd have to stop or scale them back since she relies on that sexism to write her paycheck.

also gone home sucks really bad and if what you're interested in is a compelling narrative told through exploration then you should play the original marathon trilogy which did it much better literally 20 years earlier.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

gently caress the ROW posted:

more like gone HOMO hahaha just trying my hand at some serious game journalism here

I laughed way too hard at this. :mmmhmm:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gone home's alright but people only go so loving nuts over it because it drags right through peoples' nostalgia

HEY GUYS REMEMBER THE 90S????

also here is a progressive story about lesbians give us money

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

That's kind of what I meant

the giant bomb dude has said a bunch of times that he'd love to get rid of scores, but then they won't be listed on metacritic or whatever (and this is apparently necessary or something idk)

that and terrible nerds dont know what to do when you dont give them an exact number that they can compare with to determine if you are a genius reviewer expert or a loving retard who should be FIRED

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

jpmeyer posted:

roll that beautiful bean footage

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Slanderer posted:

haha game stories loving SUCK nowadays. why can't they have GOOD STORIES, like super mario world???

You're right princess toadstool should have run off with bowser by choice and had the gameplay revolve around going around the castle touching grateful dead posters until you realize you got owned

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Yeah but did Gone Home have Charles Martinez making cat noises?

i too know the name of the mario voice actor off the top of my head

that game was rad though, too bad about the wii u part

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

You're right princess toadstool should have run off with bowser by choice and had the gameplay revolve around going around the castle touching grateful dead posters until you realize you got owned

all roads lead to cucking

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

just because your critics are misogynist monkey-people who would never be allowed outside in a well run society does not make 1) you right or 2) their individual criticisms of you 100% invalid. if pua_god_420 says you are corrupt and nepotistic, and it happens to be true, then it's true even if he lives in a basement covered in naked lady/potleaf posters.

anyways, anita sarkeesian is a pretty smart lady, since she's 100% grifter/scammer. she intentionally does her poo poo in the most inflammatory possible way and channels comments towards already festering misogynistic pits like 4chan, then highlights the response as a way of scaring up more money. she may even be smart enough to do a good job on her videos, but if so she doesn't bother trying because they are utter garbage. i totally respect her though, by playing two extremist sides off against each other she can ride to fame on the back of one and siphon huge amounts of money off from the other-- that's some top tier social engineering. the point of tropes vs women isn't to educate anyone, it's to make a group of vile shits so mad that they spew venom all over her so a group of almost-as-vile idiots feel bad for her and donate tons of money to her cause. if you donated to anita sarkeesian you got taken for a ride so congrats i guess. if her presentations were actually working to reduce or eliminate sexism in the industry she'd have to stop or scale them back since she relies on that sexism to write her paycheck.

also gone home sucks really bad and if what you're interested in is a compelling narrative told through exploration then you should play the original marathon trilogy which did it much better literally 20 years earlier.

How do you even talk to people without getting scared if you think Sarkeesian does things "the most inflammatory possible way"

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Slanderer posted:

all roads lead to cucking

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Fatkraken posted:

I have no problem judging people on how they choose to present themselves to the world. I wouldn't judge anyone for being naturally ugly, but awful haircuts/facial hair and terrible hats are inexcusable and entirely avoidable. The fact these guys CHOOSE to look like this speaks volumes.
Guy in the top left doesn't look like he's made any particularly horrible fashion decisions. What's your excuse for making GBS threads on him?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lol what a maroon

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gently caress the ROW posted:

Not bad. But there's still space for improvement. Consider GAY HOMO.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Slanderer posted:

To be fair Super Mario's backstory inspired an animated cartoon at one point featuring teen pop sensations Milli Vanilli, and an excellent feature film starring Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins. Until you can persuade Dennis Hopper to walk around a vaguely empty unremarkable 90's suburban house while he is haunted by a slightly depressed lesbian then Mario wins.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just realised there are no women posting in this thread. That's why it's so good.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Paladinus posted:

Just realised there are no women posting in this thread. That's why it's so good.

how you know who's women ?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Slanderer posted:

good thing it wasn't a mediocre puzzle game, then!!!

This is my trigger. I will loving punch you in the mouth! Myst is a fantastic adventure game. The presentation, the story, the puzzles, all are loving brilliant. Myst is quite probably the first adventure game that didn't have asinine "COMBINE EVERYTHING WITH EVERYTHING ELSE!" puzzles, but instead logical well thought out puzzles you could actually solve without having to call the gamers helpline.

Has there been any other adventure games that aren't hosed in the puzzle design department?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fatkraken posted:

how you know who's women ?

Girls don't play video games, duh!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How do you even talk to people without getting scared if you think Sarkeesian does things "the most inflammatory possible way"

well i guess the alternative is that she thought she could target her videos at the grungiest 4chan neckbeards possible and they would just be like aha a woman speaking better listen to this

so maybe she's just real real dumb idk

basically she's like that old SA feature Truth Media reviews where they talk about a thing manbaby nerds love but do so in a way guaranteed to draw flames from those people which are fun to read and publish

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Paladinus posted:

Girls don't play video games, duh!

women are only capable of complaining about video games not including them

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Anal Papist posted:

To be fair Super Mario's backstory inspired an animated cartoon at one point featuring teen pop sensations Milli Vanilli, and an excellent feature film starring Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins. Until you can persuade Dennis Hopper to walk around a vaguely empty unremarkable 90's suburban house while he is haunted by a slightly depressed lesbian then Mario wins.

...meh, sounds better then A Winters Tale.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What is going on here?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

frajaq posted:

What is going on here?

Anita Sarkeesi was confirmed for the new Mario Kart DLC

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I can never distinguish between fakeposts and goons being terrible in this thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

facialimpediment posted:

I can never distinguish between fakeposts and goons being terrible in this thread.

It's both at the same time.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Is it even possible to have an opinion on whatever this poo poo is without being terrible?

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

facialimpediment posted:

I can never distinguish between fakeposts and goons being terrible

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Germstore posted:

Is it even possible to have an opinion on whatever this poo poo is without being terrible?

nope in fact by posting here You're Fate Is Sealed

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Paladinus posted:

Trigger warning next time please. Any mention of women triggers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Paladinus posted:

This is problematic. Please fund my Kickstarter, Tropes vs Women in Something Awful.

• Locked thread