Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bought a Kobo Glo for the gf, she loves it and I cannot come near to it anymore so I will have to buy one for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Xenoletum posted:

So either you're looking to piss people off about the mismatch of team/sponsor/player/number, or you're looking to piss people off about about Dubai, MCFC, and Ronaldo?

:getin:

Wait what

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I don't even remember making that post last night holy poo poo. Don't post with a high fever kids. It'll gently caress you up.

For content, I bought some resume paper yesterday since I got laid off and already have interviews scheduled for other companies rolling in. :yotj:

Those are some sweet rear end kits though and I wish I had the money to afford one, minus the Ronaldo stuff, of course.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This $130 battery charger, for a $4 DeWalt drill/electric screwdriver I got at a garage sale. Still less than half of what the drill and charger would be new.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

I don't even remember making that post last night holy poo poo. Don't post with a high fever kids. It'll gently caress you up.

For content, I bought some resume paper yesterday since I got laid off and already have interviews scheduled for other companies rolling in. :yotj:

Those are some sweet rear end kits though and I wish I had the money to afford one, minus the Ronaldo stuff, of course.

Do people still use fancy paper for resumes? why?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SaltLick posted:

Nobody wants to be the pioneer that says "eh."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SaltLick posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "in this day and age of everything being done electronically, who sends a paper resume at all?"

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Geoj posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "in this day and age of everything being done electronically, who sends a paper resume at all?"

Isn't it kind of customary to show up to a job interview with a resume in hand, even if they already have one?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Humerus posted:

Isn't it kind of customary to show up to a job interview with a resume in hand, even if they already have one?

That's what I was always taught. Always show up with multiple copies of your resume ready for any extra interviewers to go over. Even if they don't need one, you're showing you're prepared for a bad scenario.

I use some sort of fancy paper just in case they do want one of my copies, so that way it stands out among a crowd of boring laserjet paper.

Fake it til you make it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Layout, content, and design far outweigh the importance of fancy paper though. I've never used anything aside from regular paper.

You'll have better luck with right resume, regular paper than left resume fancy paper.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Aug 27, 2014

mystes
May 31, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Layout, content, and design far outweigh the importance of fancy paper though. I've never used anything aside from regular paper.

You'll have better luck with right resume, regular paper than left resume fancy paper.

The thing on the right looks more like some sort of flyer than a resume.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Maybe, but a little design helps your resume stand out among all of the other ones that all look like the left one.

Go with something more muted if you want, but a pop of color and some contrast can go a long way.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Aug 27, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Almost anything is better than using the MS Word template. It's soul crushing to read through a pile of resumes and have 75% be the exact same.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Geoj posted:

Think of it as: If you hand them one, it means they don't have to pull it up on their laptop, or print it themselves.

Bringing, say, 4 copies is a great idea. You may interview with more than one person at the same time. You might meet someone from HR first. I know I have.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

I think the resume on the right is terrible, its screams unprofessional clown to me. Just my opinion though.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i work in the legal field and if i saw anything other than a standard resume (like the one on the left) on anything other than a heavy weight or linen paper i'd just throw it away immediately

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Best-case scenario: the hiring manager will review your resume about 2 minutes before your interview to make sure he/she can correctly identify your last employer or school.

That's because, most realistically, your resume will reach the hiring manager through someone you know and who can recommend you. HR types estimate that more than 80% of job openings are filled that way. The layout/format/paper of you resume is going to contribute basically nothing.

Personal experience: 3 very different jobs in 3 tech companies.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Different strokes I guess.

We should probably stop derailing the recent purchases thread with resume talk.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I bought a crepe at IHOP. It was really bad.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I bought this tattoo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've owned these sandals to wear around the house for a dozen years:

My current pair is falling apart, but $30 seemed like too much for house shoes, so I decided to give these a try for $17:

edit: v They're ugly, but I had a hard budget cap of $20 and they might be the most comfortable thing ever.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Aug 27, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

My current pair is falling apart, but $30 seemed like too much for house shoes, so I decided to give these a try for $17:

:stare:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just... don't wear them out of the house. For your own sake. For all of us.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Josh Lyman posted:

edit: v They're ugly, but I had a hard budget cap of $20 and they might be the most comfortable thing ever.

i got nothing against fugly house shoes. i usually wear a pair of dumb looking Globe shoe things around the house because they are really drat comfortable and have a real shoe sole.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RCarr posted:

Just... don't wear them out of the house. For your own sake. For all of us.
I don't even wear my adilettes beyond my driveway and mailbox. Even for a quick grocery store/food run, I'll at least switch into my leather sandals. Which, incidentally, are Ocean Minded, a Crocs brand. :stare:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I'm not sure I understand the draw of house shoes. Why not be barefoot or wear socks?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Socks are slippery on hardwood and sometimes the floor is cold or you didn't see that puddle of cat barf or the tack.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

App13 posted:

I'm not sure I understand the draw of house shoes. Why not be barefoot or wear socks?

Some of us live in cold places. Touching the concrete floor in my condo is miserable for nine months of the year.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I just buy a new pair of Oakley sandals every 6 or 7 years and wear them around the house until they fall apart.

App13 posted:

New England winters = cold feet. and socks are slippery.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Josh Lyman posted:

I've owned these sandals to wear around the house for a dozen years:

I've had a pair of croc flops for over ten years now. They just won't die.

JCup
May 5, 2004

BIG RED CUSTOME ZOMBIE!

martinlutherbling posted:

I bought this tattoo

New ink is always a fun purchase. Looks awesome!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Weird beer with Shiraz in it, and a slightly outdated reference to open it with

E: why the gently caress is it so hard to post pictures in the awful app

Bogan Krkic has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Aug 28, 2014

sports
Sep 1, 2012

You're supposed to have a boring layout. The actual content is supposed to make you stand out. The one on the right means that you're a lovely hire and need some sort of facade to stand behind.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

sports posted:

You're supposed to have a boring layout. The actual content is supposed to make you stand out. The one on the right means that you're a lovely hire and need some sort of facade to stand behind.

Maybe that's why unemployment rates are so high.

Last thing I'll say on the topic: obviously having a flashy résumé isn't going to do you much good for a law firm, but a lot of places now do actually like a résumé that stands out. That's how I got my job in tech (mine was a little more understated than the example, but I did use a few spots of grayish-purple). A lot of people I know have used a similar tactic with great results.

Obviously if your writing is sloppy or you have poo poo for experience design isn't going to help you much.

On topic:

I bought a fuel filter for my motorcycle because I accidentally melted the old one. I also bought a new rotor for the bike because my whole electrical system burned out at once.

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Aug 28, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I went in for a second interview where the Interviewer (local PD) told me I didnt need to bring in anything since they had all my paperwork. I went in for the interview and low and behold he called out sick, misplaced my paperwork and the department wouldnt reschedule since they had replacement interviewers. Oh by the way do you have a copy of your resume? Oh no? Ok please recite from memory your job, school and references from memory starting.... now. Threw me off my game pretty good.

They dont sell Buffalo Chicken rolls at a discount at 7-11 because they good. Wax sticks with spicy bread crumbs. Bleh.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Keetron posted:

Bought a Kobo Glo for the gf, she loves it and I cannot come near to it anymore so I will have to buy one for myself.

And a cover/case for it.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013

Now please don't sell him :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally got a phone dashboard mount:

Time to stop looking down and fiddling just to change a music track or check directions.

V V V http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHX9OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Aug 28, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DrBouvenstein posted:

Time to stop looking down and fiddling just to change a music track or check directions.

Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have this exact model and it's great. I never put it on the dash though, because the suction cup leaves marks you have to clean off (if you ever move it). I found putting it on the windshield next to the rear view mirror kept it out of the way for driving but was still handy enough for GPS.