Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dark souls 1 the laziest pc port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
dark souls 1 pc port is a masterpiece compared to saint's row 2

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

like quiggs mentioned knowing it's a horror film kinda removes the impact it can have, the reason poo poo is scary is because it shouldn't be happening, the best way to make a horror game is have it be a normal game and marketed as such but then things just suddenly seem really off and gets spooky from there, same with a film

buttt you can't reasonably achieve that since marketing and all that, but if you could it would work well

like that game, i think it was called eversion? something like that, shame it was a little platformer thing, the idea was there though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can't wait until someone has a heart attack and dies during a rift horror game

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

res4 was the worst pc port

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Balobam posted:

like quiggs mentioned knowing it's a horror film kinda removes the impact it can have, the reason poo poo is scary is because it shouldn't be happening, the best way to make a horror game is have it be a normal game and marketed as such but then things just suddenly seem really off and gets spooky from there, same with a film

buttt you can't reasonably achieve that since marketing and all that, but if you could it would work well

like that game, i think it was called eversion? something like that, shame it was a little platformer thing, the idea was there though

eversion is a good example of how a jame can be scary. amnesia isnt really scary, it is unsettling and surprising which is a completely different thing

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Balobam posted:

res4 was the worst pc port

Yodzilla posted:

a masterpiece compared to saint's row 2

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

dead space 1 is properly scary when played in a certain enviroment

lights out, headphones on, volume loud

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
2 less so except for the return to ishimura chapter

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

scary games are dumb especially when they arent even games. for example that game where you are stuck in the chuck e cheese restaurant and the robot animals are coming after your or some dumb poo poo. or the slim man game

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

yeah ds1 had legit good atmosphere

so did demon's souls actually tower of latria was creepy as poo poo

and seath's dungeon prison in duke's when that giant gramophone starts playing and those lizard guards just sprint past you, you're just left like welp i should probably run the gently caress away *closes prison door and stands in the corner*

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Balobam posted:

yeah ds1 had legit good atmosphere

so did demon's souls actually tower of latria was creepy as poo poo

and seath's dungeon prison in duke's when that giant gramophone starts playing and those lizard guards just sprint past you, you're just left like welp i should probably run the gently caress away *closes prison door and stands in the corner*

the siren in duke's was scary because it was just such a weird sound. there was nothing else like it in the game so it really put you on edge

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Notorious QIG posted:

the siren in duke's was scary because it was just such a weird sound. there was nothing else like it in the game so it really put you on edge

that was a great scene
gonna replay dks on ps3 i think

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Liver Disaster posted:

that was a great scene
gonna replay dks on ps3 i think

dukes is one of my favorite areas in dark souls, probably up there with anal rodeo and sens

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
ho.y crap, anal rodeo? :xd:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I know I'm the only one here who liked mass effect 3, but the asari monastery level had a really spooky atmosphere to it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Squeezy Farm posted:

ho.y crap, anal rodeo? :xd:

im so randome lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

silent hill 1 is still the scariest game i've ever played

maybe it helps that i knew nothing about it, my friend just handed me his copy and said "play this, it's good"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Silver Alicorn posted:

I know I'm the only one here who liked mass effect 3, but the asari monastery level had a really spooky atmosphere to it

i liked what i played but i lost interest in that game

maybe i'll get to it after skyrim

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

honestly the scariest things ive seen in games are usually in games that arent horror games because it's unexpected. ravenholm is of course the obvious example but stuff like the lighthouse in skyrim, the dunwich building in fo3, or black gulch in ds2 tend to scare me more than "proper" horror games

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
pt gave me a sense of dread but it also had the surprise in it. i am hoping they balance this out, and maybe make the game less scary because i can't play through and beat the new silent hills if i get so spooped

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

eternal darkness was clunky but still really cool and i never should have sold mine to flyboi

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

That level would have been cooler if it weren't for the multiplayer completely spoiling the existence of banshees

Multiplayer was the best part of me3 anyway

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sweevo posted:

silent hill 1 is still the scariest game i've ever played

maybe it helps that i knew nothing about it, my friend just handed me his copy and said "play this, it's good"

yeah i rented it and i had no idea what i was getting into. i knew i loved the resident evil games but a friend of mine was like "no dude play silent hill"

and yeah scary sections in non-scary games are the best. Ravenholm from HL2, The Cradle from Thief 3, that weird statue area from Bioshock, etc

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Werthog 95 posted:

eternal darkness was clunky but still really cool and i never should have sold mine to flyboi

i dont like this game how much did you sell it for :3:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

yeah i rented it and i had no idea what i was getting into. i knew i loved the resident evil games but a friend of mine was like "no dude play silent hill"

and yeah scary sections in non-scary games are the best. Ravenholm from HL2, The Cradle from Thief 3, that weird statue area from Bioshock, etc

oh god the cradle :gonk:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

shadow temple also gave me hella nightmares as a kid

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Notorious QIG posted:

oh god the cradle :gonk:

seriously one of my favorite levels of all time. thief 3 was a way better game than people gave it credit for

also Blood has some legitimately spooky levels. i really enjoy a thing that can combine violence, humor, and horror and pull it off well

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

doom 1 and 2 also have lots of moments where you grab a key and the lights go out and just hear the sounds of lots of monsters spawning

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

which in turn reminds me of the thermal visor sequence from metroid prime

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
doom 3 is also a good game come at me bro

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this is my favorite fake tweet by a video game person

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hideo is the greatest

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

this is a wrongpinion

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

i was spooked during my first playthru, kinda like my first playthru of doom. makes u think.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Egan Yardley posted:

i was spooked during my first playthru, kinda like my first playthru of doom. makes u think.

rerelease it today, offer flashlight dlc

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

id should've kept tom hall so they would always know what not to do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Doom 3 was a nice tech demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005