Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

TFYC are going to do a Q/A in 1.5 hours at http://www.twitch.tv/tfyc on the content of Anita's videos. They will not discuss her personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im awaiting the online femenist that just recites buzzfeed/tvtropes lists right into the camera, preferably without blinking

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm willing to give games journalism the benefit of the doubt and say that things like Gone Home or DepressionQuest are made specifically to be the kind of games geared towards people who are games journalists in the same vein that movies that win Oscars tend to be movies geared towards people in the Academy (Argot was literally a movie about how HOLLYWOOD HELPED SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES. Of course it won Best Picture). I'm also willing to concede that journalists can (and are) friends with the objects of their criticism due to liking their work. I've known a few food critics who routinely give good reviews to their chef friends, but those friendships started because the critics liked the chefs' food, not the other way around.

Then we get allegations of sexual favors and idk what's real anymore.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
has anything new happened in the last 2 days

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Hogge Wild posted:

the twelve year old kid that owned abe is now involved

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Hogge Wild posted:

Not really, aside from hacking attempts and spites as well as other commentators like Total Biscuit sort of weighing in on it and the promise that one of the guys she cheated with is going to come out with their story (and is a girl). Really though, things seem to be in a holding pattern till PAX.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
is total biscuit the guy who got so butthurt that he got cancer in the butt

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 27, 2014

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I do enjoy that 80% of the people that are super mad about this on Twitter have Anime avatars

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
*checks watch*

are all video game people dead yet

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I don't think there's a better time for me to get started with my youtube channel

Will you help fund my cuckstarter?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

whoflungpoop posted:

*checks watch*

are all video game people dead yet

Yes. The video game police is on the case.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Do you guys think Kickstarter or Indiegogo is a more appropriate funding platform for my upcoming game where I do a voiceover reading of Hills Like White Elephants while you walk around the train depot map from TF2

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

E1M1 posted:

Do you guys think Kickstarter or Indiegogo is a more appropriate funding platform for my upcoming game where I do a voiceover reading of Hills Like White Elephants while you walk around the train depot map from TF2

gofundme is a pretty solid choice

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Can someone please explain to me why any of this is funny or interesting cause it seems like some really loving stupid video game drama

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

facialimpediment posted:

I can never distinguish between fakeposts and goons being terrible in this thread.

and an only tangentially related emptyquote

Slanderer posted:

all roads lead to cucking

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Can someone please explain to me why any of this is funny or interesting cause it seems like some really loving stupid video game drama

this may not be the thread for you then Pussy

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

E1M1 posted:

Stand by, I'm putting this one straight through to Polygon

e: they said you have to suck their dicks

Lobster Harmonica fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 27, 2014

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Froghammer posted:

I'm willing to give games journalism the benefit of the doubt and say that things like Gone Home or DepressionQuest are made specifically to be the kind of games geared towards people who are games journalists in the same vein that movies that win Oscars tend to be movies geared towards people in the Academy (Argot was literally a movie about how HOLLYWOOD HELPED SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES. Of course it won Best Picture). I'm also willing to concede that journalists can (and are) friends with the objects of their criticism due to liking their work. I've known a few food critics who routinely give good reviews to their chef friends, but those friendships started because the critics liked the chefs' food, not the other way around.

Then we get allegations of sexual favors and idk what's real anymore.

An argument could be made for Gone Home. It in no way deserved a 10 out of 10 score, but there was at least real effort put into it, and it was very atmospheric. My major issue with Gone Home is that it was presented as something it wasn't (some kind of spooky game), and it got inflated ratings. Depression Quest, on the other hand, is an 80's era choose your own adventure book, except replace book with pamphlet; it should have never even been acknowledged by anyone.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Anita Sarkeesi was confirmed for the new Mario Kart DLC

maybe...maybe the ones who always get the blue shells to ruin the lives of those who succeed through hard work are the real tyrants...if u think about it...

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
It's funny idiots are saying gone home is original and new to the industry when The 7th Guest actually did the same loving thing a thousand years ago and actually had puzzles/gameplay too.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

big duck equals goose posted:

7th Guest actually did the same loving thing a thousand years ago and actually had puzzles/gameplay too

Lesbain

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Stand by, I'm putting this one straight through to Polygon

e: they said you have to suck their dicks

That sounds fair to me, is there some sort of educational video game I could play to learn how to suck dick

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

David Copperfield posted:

maybe...maybe the ones who always get the blue shells to ruin the lives of those who succeed through hard work are the real tyrants...if u think about it...

this really speaks to a lot of ppl imo

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Make a tranny version of myst where instead of books/pages you have to collect dildos.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This is the part where I don't know who's sincere and not. plz post lol so I know olol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

XK posted:

An argument could be made for Gone Home. It in no way deserved a 10 out of 10 score, but there was at least real effort put into it, and it was very atmospheric. My major issue with Gone Home is that it was presented as something it wasn't (some kind of spooky game), and it got inflated ratings. Depression Quest, on the other hand, is an 80's era choose your own adventure book, except replace book with pamphlet; it should have never even been acknowledged by anyone.

reviewers actually liked it because it defied the expectation of being spooky, when the only spooky elements in the game were a quiet and empty house, and whatever else you imagined was going to happen in it. it doesn't have that impact unless you were knowledgeable about the lead up and previews of the game (w/o and of the spoilers), which reviewers were

"oh, i thought this was going to be about spooky ghosts but it was actually about the spookiness of my own mind!!!!"

yeah it was cool

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Anita Sarkeesi was confirmed for the new Mario Kart DLC

If you play as a male character and hit her with a blue shell, the race results are hidden and Anita is declared the winner. The game will then play all of Anita's Feminist Frequency videos as punishment for what you've done and to educate the player. These are not skippable and pressing any button will make the whole playlist start over again.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

E1M1 posted:

That sounds fair to me, is there some sort of educational video game I could play to learn how to suck dick

Sure, here's a game where you press the down arrow to become progressively gayer

*links to your post history*

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

In the future, all media is video games. i can't sit through a book so slap that poo poo onto a Garry's Mod map. let me open the fridge and close it a couple times and i'm golden. this is emergent gameplay. i understand that life isn't always fun or interesting and that's why i get these games

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Slanderer posted:

reviewers actually liked it because it defied the expectation of being spooky, when the only spooky element in the game was a quiet and empty house, and whatever else you imagined was going to happen in it. it doesn't have that impact unless you were knowledgeable about the lead up and previews of the game (w/o and of the spoilers), which reviewers were

"oh, i thought this was going to be about spooky ghosts but it was actually about the spookiness of my own mind!!!!"

yeah it was cool

So like Myst but with a island instead of a house.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Sure, here's a game where you press the down arrow to become progressively gayer

*links to your post history*

my posting follows the same arc as gone home, it's very boring and then you realize i'm gay, please steam greenlight me

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Slanderer posted:

reviewers actually liked it because it defied the expectation of being spooky, when the only spooky elements in the game were a quiet and empty house, and whatever else you imagined was going to happen in it. it doesn't have that impact unless you were knowledgeable about the lead up and previews of the game (w/o and of the spoilers), which reviewers were

yeah it was cool

Hi Zoe.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

So like Myst but with a island instead of a house.

myst was a moving, atmospheric game

just like a smelly fart lol

Fluo posted:

Hi Zoe.

please don't Zoe-shame!!

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

E1M1 posted:

In the future, all media is video games. i can't sit through a book so slap that poo poo onto a Garry's Mod map. let me open the fridge and close it a couple times and i'm golden. this is emergent gameplay. i understand that life isn't always fun or interesting and that's why i get these games

"You know, kids, before Moby Dick was a famous MMORPG it used to be a great novel."

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

FrostedButts posted:

"You know, kids, before Moby Dick was a famous MMORPG it used to be a great novel."

I was gonna say I'd love an online experience where I hunt a whale with a bunch of nerds but then I realized where I am

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

I was gonna say I'd love an online experience where I hunt a whale with a bunch of nerds but then I realized where I am

:vince:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

:golfclap:

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
this is the best loving thread, new lols everyday. every time you think things can't get more ridiculous someone does something stupider and ups the ante. if you come into this thread to say "gas" or "hurf who cares" or "is this still going" you are a massive human being that needs to stop posting

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
If I took the story of a good book and put it in a twinge game with little interactivity is it a good game because the game is defined by the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

"And he piled upon the Zoe Quinn's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole gaming race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

• Locked thread