Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, the fiction anthology came out as an epub fairly quickly as kickstarters go and was actually pretty good. Which probably buoyed hopes on the game for a while. I don't know if it ever got a physical release though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

A Catastrophe posted:

Has he actually released anything? For far west, I mean.

There were a few art pictures meant to be in the box he released that were vectorized portraits of people who donated enough money. At least one was so terrible the backer in question then requested it not be in the book.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

There were a few art pictures meant to be in the box he released that were vectorized portraits of people who donated enough money. At least one was so terrible the backer in question then requested it not be in the book.
Knowing the setting was it racist terrible or was it just poorly drawn terrible.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Skarka never, ever, ever fails to disappoint. And yet he has infinite time to engage his enemies and conduct his crusades on twitter, g+, therpgsite, and everywhere else. What a strange cat.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

FMguru posted:

Skarka never, ever, ever fails to disappoint. And yet he has infinite time to engage his enemies and conduct his crusades on twitter, g+, therpgsite, and everywhere else. What a strange cat.

Latest update on Far West posted:

At worst, I figure I'm no more than a week to 10 days behind schedule.

A Backer posted:

"A week to ten days" meaning "eight more months".......? :/

GMS posted:

Not at all. Although, if you like, I can hold yours back until then... :)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe he did, and then decided it wouldn't be fair to give it to everybody else before that guy

sounds like his kind of logic anyway :haw:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MadScientistWorking posted:

Knowing the setting was it racist terrible or was it just poorly drawn terrible.

It just looked like poo poo. Apparently the "self-insert" art you could buy through the Kickstarter ended up being poorly PS-filtered heads pasted onto the bodies of more regular art from the book.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

GMS posted:

Not at all. Although, if you like, I can hold yours back until then... :)

Now, now, when the backer took exception, Skarka politely told him he meant it jokingly. Of course, he didn't actually apologize. And who would guess he wasn't being sincere after that crazy Iceland legal threat hilarity?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Possibly relevant to people's interests: the current Bundle of Holding is Ars Magica 5th Edition.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's so nice to hear that those giving money to GMS are getting what they deserve.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am forced to wonder how much of "The original artist left to deal with family issues" thing was actually family issues and not "Artist recognized an apparent trainwreck in the making and fled as fast as they could."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

unseenlibrarian posted:

I am forced to wonder how much of "The original artist left to deal with family issues" thing was actually family issues and not "Artist recognized an apparent trainwreck in the making and fled as fast as they could."
I see no reason to think Skarka is any better being prompt and not making excuses when it comes to paying artists than he is at producing games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Possibly relevant to people's interests: the current Bundle of Holding is Ars Magica 5th Edition.

That feel when you want to play ars magica but no one wants to gm and i sure as hell ain't doing that because my peanut sized stegosaur brain would melt under the micromanagement.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

WRONG THREAD DINGUS.

Rolled a 1!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Aw, man, all this Ars Magica stuff and it's all stuff I bought already.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012
Happy 3 Years of Non-Release, Far West. :toot:

Impermanent posted:

It's so nice to hear that those giving money to GMS are getting what they deserve.

Hey man, I was young and naive, all I knew was some guy was promising me kung-fu cowboys.

FMguru posted:

I see no reason to think Skarka is any better being prompt and not making excuses when it comes to paying artists than he is at producing games.

Seeing as he's trying to dupe secure a webcomic artist with the "I can't pay you but you'll get 'co-ownership' a cut of everything we make routine I can only imagine that's so.

Karma to Burn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I didn't know how big a prick he was three years ago. :(

FMguru posted:

I really do wonder how many bridges he's burned at this point. I doubt C7 or Steve Kenson want anything to do with him anymore after everything that happened with Icons Team-Up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I know that feeling. Giving away The Living Covenant's a bit odd in a bundle because it's...a free online thing, but I guess packaging it all in one PDF is nice.

Overall, though, this is an excellent collection, the three Houses of Hermes books are I'd honestly say the most important non-core books to grab for just the core game. Apprentices and The Lion and Lily aren't; Apprentices is a bit niche, and Lion's good and all but not required by any means.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Impermanent posted:

I don't think that's fair. Even today, there's no onus on the consumer to go dumpster-diving in forums and G+ to figure out that a perfectly legit looking Kickstarter is secretly a garbage bag full of bowling balls. They should certainly make a cursory check, though. So, of course, now when you can post a simple "Hey what's up with this guy?" on the most prominent RPG forum and get a horror show thread, it's your own drat fault if you forge ahead.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Mors Rattus posted:

Overall, though, this is an excellent collection, the three Houses of Hermes books are I'd honestly say the most important non-core books to grab for just the core game. Apprentices and The Lion and Lily aren't; Apprentices is a bit niche, and Lion's good and all but not required by any means.

And it's just going to get better. Apprentices was just added today, so I imagine they'll be adding a book a weekday until the bundle ends next week.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Plague of Hats posted:

I don't think that's fair.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I didn't know how big a prick he was three years ago. :(

Karma to Burn posted:

Hey man, I was young and naive, all I knew was some guy was promising me kung-fu cowboys.

Okay, fair. I don't mean to kick anyone who accidentally gave money to a jerk while they're down. I had thought the kickstarter was much more recent.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really do wonder how many bridges he's burned at this point. I doubt C7 or Steve Kenson want anything to do with him anymore after everything that happened with Icons Team-Up.

Considering he's now hanging out with Pundit and Zak, probably all of the bridges.

You don't shack up with those two unless you have nothing left to lose.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Slimnoid posted:

You don't shack up with those two unless you have nothing left to lose.
Like WotC.

Impermanent posted:

I had thought the kickstarter was much more recent.
The entire joke is that the kickstarter is now running three years behind schedule

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

The entire joke is that the kickstarter is now running three years behind schedule

Well that... that's impressive.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Isn't he also sitting on the Bas-Lag license? If so, gently caress that guy super-hard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slightly Lions posted:

Isn't he also sitting on the Bas-Lag license? If so, gently caress that guy super-hard.

And Buckaroo Banzai.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Interestingly, Buckaroo Banzai is only two years late (although it was announced three years ago).

I don't know which is worse: that he's sitting on a licence I've wanted an RPG for for over 20 years, or that no matter what he ends up releasing it won't be a better B. Banzai game than the Atomic Robo RPG.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And Buckaroo Banzai.

At this point, his properties are getting to be the Duke Nukem Forever of Trad Games.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How did he get the Bas Lag rights?

I want to TPK by fighting a Weaver. :(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Impermanent posted:

Well that... that's impressive.

quote:

Dec 2, 2011
"... First off, let me start by saying that we're going to have to push delivery of the FAR WEST Adventure Game back a month, into January. ..."

Mar 28, 2012
"... I know what you're all most interested in is the status of the Adventure Game. We're not going to make my goal of the end of March -- and it's entirely my fault (I've only got so many hands). April delivery is on, though. ..."

May 4, 2012
"... We're currently looking at a May delivery of the PDF to backers. ..."

May 23, 2012
"... Delivery will be pushed into June, but it won't be long. ..."

Jun 18, 2012
"... This will mean that we will be delayed by another month. We will deliver the Kickstarter exclusive edition in late July -- and will miss our window for debuting the retail edition in time for GenCon and an August ship date to stores, because I want to ensure that our Backers have their exclusive well before the general edition is released. You folks come first. ..."

Jul 19, 2012
"... Layout will be completed and the PDF version of the Adventure Game will be sent out by Friday, August 31st. The game will then go to our printer, and delivery of the physical copies (as well as digital delivery of non-PDF editions like Kindle, Nook, etc., for those who requested) will occur through September. ..."

Aug 31, 2012
"... We're really pleased with how everything is turning out, and we should be able to deliver the final product to all of you in September. Finally! ..."

Sep 29, 2012
"... Our print-scheduling window looks as though it will hit in November -- obviously we'll be looking to deliver the PDF before that. ..."

Oct 19, 2012
"... I'm still pushing for a November delivery of the PDF to you and to the printer. ..."

Nov 19, 2012
"... It's pretty much a guarantee at this point that final PDF and delivery to the printer will occur in December ..."

May 9, 2013
"... The FAR WEST Adventure Game core rulebook will be released this Summer, first to backers of the 2011 FAR WEST Kickstarter, and then to distribution world-wide. ..."

Jul 24, 2013
"...We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, and thanks to securing the assistance of Cubicle Seven, we'll be delivering the core book to backers at the end of the summer. ..."

Sep 4, 2013
"... I'm still targeting having the PDF and various other digital format versions out to backers by later this month ..."

Oct 18, 2013
"... We will be going to press in mid-November, a bit less than a month from now. Delivery of the digital version of FAR WEST will occur to you fine folks at around the same time we send to the printer (to ensure that you all get the latest, most-correct, final proofed version). ..."

Nov 11, 2013
"... Popping in to let you know that we're chugging along -- I'm looking at digital delivery occurring late next week ..."

Nov 21, 2013
"... We will be ready to deliver the files to the printer (and the digital copies to you) in the next few days, though -- hopefully this weekend, definitely before the US Thanksgiving holiday next week. ..."
Note that it's been more than ten months since that list was compiled, and still no Far West.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

Note that it's been more than ten months since that list was compiled, and still no Far West.

:suspense:

This might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Impermanent posted:

:suspense:

This might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.
It's not on that list, but my favorite was the one from mid-December 2013, where he said that he was gonna have to push off the game until the end of the month because he suddenly had a bunch of unforeseen family commitments. Because who could possibly have predicted that a bunch of family stuff would crop up in the last two weeks of December? Not GMS.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My favorite is when he got super mad about a backer accusing him of not fulfilling his obligations to his customers, a while back on G+. Another person stepped in and said he shouldn't be so rude to a customer, and this was his reply:

Gareth Michael Skarka posted:

He’s not a customer. Period. Here’s the thing: _There are no customers for FAR WEST yet._ There are backers, which is not the same as a customer — that’s somebody who has invested money to back a process (of which there are 717, and he isn’t one), each of whom is receiving some amount of stock of various products in the line in return for their investment. Kickstarter is very clear about this. This is not a consumer process.

When FAR WEST is released, THEN there will be customers, when we release it wide. So perhaps your argument that he is a “potential” customer is true — we don’t know. Perhaps the President will get an itch and buy a copy — it could happen, who knows? Meaningless to speculate.

The G+ post has since been deleted.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What an asshat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

My favorite is when he got super mad about a backer accusing him of not fulfilling his obligations to his customers, a while back on G+. Another person stepped in and said he shouldn't be so rude to a customer, and this was his reply:

The G+ post has since been deleted.

That may have actually been in response to me; I said that to him once and got a similar answer.

e: Although I seem to remember him backhand-accusing me of having a burger-flipping job since I think you should treat customers with respect.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 27, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What an asshat.

Let's not forget the part where he will show up in every third thread posted by one particular TGer to insult said TGer because GMS literally thinks that every thread about social justice issues posted on G+ is a veiled attack on him.

He's not just an asshat, he's a dangerous, deluded paranoid asshat.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
He's an odd creature. He's currently taking Desborough to task over the whole reaction to Zoe Quinne and Anita Sarkeesian, so there is a good person deep down beneath that incredibly stubborn and aggressive persona he wears.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Although I seem to remember him backhand-accusing me of having a burger-flipping job since I think you should treat customers with respect.
GMS has repeatedly gone after other companies and creators (like Fred Hicks) for offering good customer service, saying its a transparently obvious scam gimmick that only morons can't see through.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

FMguru posted:

GMS has repeatedly gone after other companies and creators (like Fred Hicks) for offering good customer service, saying its a transparently obvious scam gimmick that only morons can't see through.

:psyduck:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The lesson is that if you pay a kickstarter you are stupid and deserving of a lesson in caveat emptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Bosushi! posted:

He's an odd creature. He's currently taking Desborough to task over the whole reaction to Zoe Quinne and Anita Sarkeesian, so there is a good person deep down beneath that incredibly stubborn and aggressive persona he wears.
I think my first introduction to him was actually having a sane conversation with him over Nazigate so yeah he's really freaking bizarre.

• Locked thread