Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

The BFG version of Doom II is censored. The red cross on health replenishing items has been replaced with a red-and-white pill symbol, all textures containing swastikas in the secret levels referencing Castle Wolfenstein have been removed, the SS guards in those levels have been replaced with regular Zombiemen and some levels were renamed.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a True Gamer would know that hideo and dorito pope collaborated on that weird moby dick thing!!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gdi that's three today

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

don't buy this. get original Doom 3 release and install Sikkmod, it's really well done and looks a million times better than BFG Edition which is busted as gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

to me, the most interesting thing about this whole zoe quinn/kotaku/whatever story is that despite all the concern trolls claiming they're protecting video games from the sjw scourge or whatever, i have yet to see anybody who actually makes video games take their side

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

finally watching the newest femfreq video, holy gently caress these are some brutal scenes

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this is my favorite fake tweet by a video game person

yeah same

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Notorious QIG posted:

finally watching the newest femfreq video, holy gently caress these are some brutal scenes

i dont watch them personally but i appreciate them existing because its really easy to filter nerd friends off the facebook timeline now

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i dont watch them personally but i appreciate them existing because its really easy to filter nerd friends off the facebook timeline now

this one is literally half an hour of watching women get brutally murdered in video games

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Balobam posted:

like quiggs mentioned knowing it's a horror film kinda removes the impact it can have, the reason poo poo is scary is because it shouldn't be happening, the best way to make a horror game is have it be a normal game and marketed as such but then things just suddenly seem really off and gets spooky from there, same with a film

buttt you can't reasonably achieve that since marketing and all that, but if you could it would work well

like that game, i think it was called eversion? something like that, shame it was a little platformer thing, the idea was there though

i would disagree. high quality presentation allows for higher immersion that allows the user to suspend disbelief. but its definitely much harder to do with movies than it is with video james b/c of the lack of interaction w/ the movie.

something like the original avp when played as a marine can have legitimate tension because of its good use of sound + lighting effects. whereas something like doom3 can make you laugh when you see the obvious monster closets.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious QIG posted:

this one is literally half an hour of watching women get brutally murdered in video games

you'd think she could focus on more than one game!!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Notorious QIG posted:

i kinda take exception to her throwing Alan Wake in there with the rest. that game more than any other handles what being married and stressed out over work can feel like and the whole "my wife is missing" is kind of a huge red herring

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Notorious QIG posted:

so all of the deaths in the new tomb raider then

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

i kinda take exception to her throwing Alan Wake in there with the rest. that game more than any other handles what being married and stressed out over work can feel like and the whole "my wife is missing" is kind of a huge red herring

as a standalone example im likely to agree with you but its part of a larger trend

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Notorious QIG posted:

as a standalone example im likely to agree with you but its part of a larger trend

it's a good video but it could be a great one if it were about 5 minutes shorter and didn't include marginal examples

personally i hope she keeps making them until a big name game person says "ok gently caress enough already" and makes some public announcement decrying the practice of using women as props and fucktoys in media

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

flakeloaf posted:

it's a good video but it could be a great one if it were about 5 minutes shorter and didn't include marginal examples

personally i hope she keeps making them until a big name game person says "ok gently caress enough already" and makes some public announcement decrying the practice of using women as props and fucktoys in media

why would u condemn her to making these forever

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

a lot of big name people are actually linking to her videos now, retweeting her, etc

the nerd rage in response to this has been hilarious

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ugh i forgot about that gow3 scene

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious QIG posted:

ugh i forgot about that gow3 scene

i never played those games and i almost bought the hd remake of them and i'm super glad i didn't because i would have had to turn that poo poo off immediately and then burn my ps3

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuckin gamers

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i never played those games and i almost bought the hd remake of them and i'm super glad i didn't because i would have had to turn that poo poo off immediately and then burn my ps3

theyre fun but they are disgusting at times. i dont wish to replay them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

a lot of big name people are actually linking to her videos now, retweeting her, etc

slacktivism squared, use your own voice to speak your own grownup words videogame man

who is a bad enough dude to say "if you're actively protesting the absence of women in their underwear being nailed to the wall for your own sexual amusement then maybe i don't want you buying my games"

Werthog 95 posted:

fuckin gamers

fuckin reddit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
which gow3 scene

Werthog 95 posted:

fuckin gamers

proud to have played games from 5 items on this list

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
has sarkeesian had anything to say about women in the metal gear games?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

haveblue posted:

which gow3 scene

the one where you push a woman through a level and then use her to jam a gear so that you can get through a door and then ones youre through the door closes and you hear the woman get crushed in the gears

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Silver Alicorn posted:

has sarkeesian had anything to say about women in the metal gear games?

not afaik but i havent watched most of the vids

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Notorious QIG posted:

the one where you push a woman through a level and then use her to jam a gear so that you can get through a door and then ones youre through the door closes and you hear the woman get crushed in the gears

i loving hated that poo poo. i'm a big tough dude (lol) who loves tits and violence and that poo poo made me kinda sick

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

i loving hated that poo poo. i'm a big tough dude (lol) who loves tits and violence and that poo poo made me kinda sick

i had forgotten about that scene until i watched the vid. i think i know why i forgot it :smith:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

like i think even the biggest anti-anita shitlords should be able to look at the one and say "ok that one's a fair point"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i haven't actually watched any of them because i figure i already know that the way women are portrayed in video games is poo poo. is there anything in those videos that isn't very obvious

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

like i think even the biggest anti-anita shitlords should be able to look at the one and say "ok that one's a fair point"

nope because they'll say "YOU WOULDN'T COMPLAIN IF IT HAD BEEN A MAN!!!"

seriously

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

fuckin gamers

I'm the black bioware logo on the black background.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Werthog 95 posted:

i haven't actually watched any of them because i figure i already know that the way women are portrayed in video games is poo poo. is there anything in those videos that isn't very obvious

nah, but the sheer volume of examples she found is overwhelming

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Werthog 95 posted:

nope because they'll say "YOU WOULDN'T COMPLAIN IF IT HAD BEEN A MAN!!!"

seriously

p sure i still wouldve been disgusted!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious QIG posted:

and then if you go back and look at her mangled body you get an achievement called (paraphrasing from memory) "i didn't do it... but i wish i did"

it's pretty hosed up

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cold on a Cob posted:

and then if you go back and look at her mangled body you get an achievement called (paraphrasing from memory) "i didn't do it... but i wish i did"

it's pretty hosed up

yup thats the name, she showed that in the vid

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Werthog 95 posted:

there is a point to watching them. the most recent one had a few angles/examples that i didn't realize i was unthinkingly "ok" with until someone actually put what was wrong with them into words. there were a few examples from games i've never played that were very wtf (no more heroes...2?)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yodzilla posted:

everyone needs to buy 20 copies of alan wake right now, because it ends on a cliffhanger and didn't sell well enough for the sequel to get made

american nightmare doesn't count because its bad

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 27, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is GoW = God of War or Gears of War? I played a God of War game once and there was some minigame about blowjobs from some women in a harem. It was hilarious/awkward/sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'll watch em some time i guess

• Locked thread