Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also, be sure to keep at least 4 with you for when you make it to the bottom of the tower. You can make due with three though, I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, there's no reason to switch if you're happy with it. You could think about maybe powerstancing them or trading up for the bigger clubs if you want.

And yeah, the giant axe is hella slow and the damage is really not worth the massive stat investment necessary to use it.

In other news, I'm hanging at the Iron bridge and showing off the new weapons to everyone. Actually got a couple messages asking what the gently caress I was using (mostly interested in the katana though. I guess stabbing yourself does leave an impression.)

Thumbtacks posted:

Rule number 1 of dark souls: Fashion > everything
Rule number 2 of dark souls: use the weapons you enjoy using

If you like the mace, keep using it. Try other poo poo if you want to. Some dude beat like NG+10 with a ladle, so everything is viable.

Yeah I dunno, I just sort of want a cooler looking mace. Something that works exactly the same but looks niftier.

The mace does indeed work really well, if the range is a tad short.

EDIT: also this game fuckin owns. About half the bosses I either kill on the first few tries but it's still fun and challenging, and the other half I die over and over and over again but still feel like I'm getting better as I go along. gently caress the ruin sentinels though, that's the only one I looked up online and wouldn't have known to summon the magic chick without it.

I also really love how there is literally no set path to go. I ended up killing one of the Flexile Warriors up past the petrified pyromancy chick as a regular opponent before fighting it as a boss in the ship because all three times I ventured down the path towards no man's wharf I totally missed the little widget that opened the gate. And now I'm farting along through huntsman's copse and either one shotting all the little guys or having a relatively tough time with the big motherfuckers.

this game rules

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ok so, I've been avoiding this thread for DLC2 spoilers, but I'm mostly done with it now.

How's the common consensus on it this time? I really liked Sunken King, but I find Iron King the wrong kind of frustrating. Everything from how the area is designed, how the monsters work, the various gimmicks it throws at you, "gotcha" moments, etc are just leaving me frustrated now. I'm currently butting my head against the boss Fume Knight. I feel like he is THIS close to being Artorias-levels of good, if it weren't for a few things. The way his arena is set up to have a single turbo-Warmth if you destroy all Ashen idols before it, feels just really lovely. And the fact that he twoshots pretty much anyone makes it a really stressful fight.

Also, it doesn't help that I ran in to some painfully bad human summons. I had one person apparently get summoned with zero estus, so he cast Warmth in the middle of the arena and kited the boss through that whenever he needed heals. Why??? :psyduck:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

although the right-angle running jump to the Ruin Sentinels basement door-to-nowhere is incredibly hard to pull off consistently.

Got a video of this? I'm curious what you mean

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I respecced one of my dads to this last night. Doing extremely well! New pyromancies are amaaaazing. Dropping a warmth and then a lingering flame or two on or around it seems to piss people off, but no hatemail for that just yet~

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Was going to ask the same thing. I feel like everyone goes about getting in that door the wrong way. I've seen so many hosts/phantoms try to do some convoluted jump/roll nonsense to hit that door and fail.

All you need to do is line yourself up directly with the door opening (you'll also be lined up with the left foot of the corpse on the ground) and just run straight off the ledge towards the door. Don't jump, don't roll, and don't walk and you'll make it 100% of the time.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Attestant posted:

Ok so, I've been avoiding this thread for DLC2 spoilers, but I'm mostly done with it now.

How's the common consensus on it this time? I really liked Sunken King, but I find Iron King the wrong kind of frustrating. Everything from how the area is designed, how the monsters work, the various gimmicks it throws at you, "gotcha" moments, etc are just leaving me frustrated now. I'm currently butting my head against the boss Fume Knight. I feel like he is THIS close to being Artorias-levels of good, if it weren't for a few things. The way his arena is set up to have a single turbo-Warmth if you destroy all Ashen idols before it, feels just really lovely. And the fact that he twoshots pretty much anyone makes it a really stressful fight.

Also, it doesn't help that I ran in to some painfully bad human summons. I had one person apparently get summoned with zero estus, so he cast Warmth in the middle of the arena and kited the boss through that whenever he needed heals. Why??? :psyduck:

Man, I had pretty much the opposite reaction to the DLC: it was loving fantastic. The gotcha moments were fun and actually a bit predictable once you get into the mindset of the area. FK healing was kinda bullshit, yeah, but it's easy enough to keep him in the areas where he can't heal since the arena is actually kind of big.

Also it has all the game's best weapons~

Man, remember in DS1, when you saw about Arty's sword and though, "holy poo poo that is awesome. Imma get the stats for it and wreck this game!"

Well you don't have to feel that anymore, because it's back and its the loving best!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ok, the second story boss of the new DLC is a lot of fun but holy poo poo that loving run back is so tedious.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Wonder Weapon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOCIM2j0oI

Flytrap posted:

Man, I had pretty much the opposite reaction to the DLC: it was loving fantastic. The gotcha moments were fun and actually a bit predictable once you get into the mindset of the area. FK healing was kinda bullshit, yeah, but it's easy enough to keep him in the areas where he can't heal since the arena is actually kind of big.

Also it has all the game's best weapons~

Man, remember in DS1, when you saw about Arty's sword and though, "holy poo poo that is awesome. Imma get the stats for it and wreck this game!"

Well you don't have to feel that anymore, because it's back and its the loving best!

Or you could just take out the statues outside his room that are healing him

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Half the DLC weapons are garbage but the other half are really really fun. Which is about par for the game, now that I think about it.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Yeah, that video shows how you're supposed to use that shortcut. There's no "right-angle running jump" involved.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOCIM2j0oI

Or you could just take out the statues outside his room that are healing him

You can't if you're out of Smelter Wedges. If you hit every single Ashen Maiden in the area before you face FK you'll be one wedge short and have to face FK with a healing corner.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BCRock posted:

Yeah, that video shows how you're supposed to use that shortcut. There's no "right-angle running jump" involved.

Unless you start killing the enemies to line it up carefully, you have to take a hard right and go straight over the gap at speed. It's really difficult to hit without taking time to hit it right, which you can't really do if you're just dodging past, which was what the post was talking about.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone know what the crystal lizard drops in DLC2? He always runs off the edge for me. I want some titanite stuff :(

Nevermind just got it, 3 twinkling and 3 chunks.

Kifisonfire fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 27, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Why does everything I upload to youtube end up looking like a great big fart compared to what I have on my hard drive? :colbert: Anyway, tried something I wanted to do with Sunken King but I boffed up my recordings so I couldn't: post my entire first playthrough of the DLC on youtube. :D Trying to upload each one overnight since it takes like 8 hours (thanks me for living in the desert).

I don't know what the differences are between NG and NG+ runs, someone told me all the red phantom enemies are there in NG too and Sunken King wasn't any different so maybe it's just the usual more enemy health / more enemy damage stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WH5Z58nuMs

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I went through no mans wharf I ran into a guy drinking out of a big mug and "you deal galvan wheel!" Or something like that. I was delighted to find he would buy all my garbage but when I ran back to where he was he was gone :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

When I went through no mans wharf I ran into a guy drinking out of a big mug and "you deal galvan wheel!" Or something like that. I was delighted to find he would buy all my garbage but when I ran back to where he was he was gone :(

You'll see your friend again later!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

After you talk to the lady who sells rocks, he's chilling in a cave. I'm trying to be vague but also help you not miss Gavlan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Attestant posted:

I love the enemy placements and the gotchas. They're very difficult, but manageable due to the terrain, environmental hazards, and being given opportunities to snipe some of the enemies in groups. All the gimmicks are pretty novel and cool imo.

I'm personally fine with how the Fume Knight works. It's pretty obvious the statues are healing him and you now how to destroy them, unlike Mytha's poison. In the worst case scenario there can be at most one left if you've used up all available wedges, and in that case you just need to kite him to the opposite side and keep him there. Him hitting hard is precisely what makes him so dangerous, and I'm not sure why you're contrasting him with Arty since Arty hit very hard too, usually for 40-70% of your HP. His first phase is weaker but harder to dodge, and his second phase is much stronger but also much easier to dodge, which makes a nice contrast I find.

Also you do not want to summon for Fume Knight. He's similar to Smelter or Elana and Sinh in that even a single summon will jack his defense up significantly. And if you leave one of the statues alive you can bet your summon will be stupid enough to kite him over.

Also that guy sounds like he was purposefully trolling you. gg on him

Thumbtacks posted:

Half the DLC weapons are garbage but the other half are really really fun. Which is about par for the game, now that I think about it.

I'd say the only garbage ones are the two daggers. The straights swords are all pretty decent, and everything else is fantastic and/or a ton of fun.

Batigh posted:

I respecced one of my dads to this last night. Doing extremely well! New pyromancies are amaaaazing. Dropping a warmth and then a lingering flame or two on or around it seems to piss people off, but no hatemail for that just yet~

That is an awesome build. Probably gonna steal it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

After you talk to the lady who sells rocks, he's chilling in a cave. I'm trying to be vague but also help you not miss Gavlan.

Lady who sells rocks in no mans wharf? I love how often I miss poo poo in this game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Lady who sells rocks in no mans wharf? I love how often I miss poo poo in this game.

No, she's in an entirely different area. Gavlan moved.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Gavlan will move twice. He moves in order and he won't appear in the next two areas unless you already met him in the first two. You already saw his first location, and now he's moved to the second one (which is what someone was trying to explain with minimal spoilers). After you meet him there he'll disappear again and be found at his third and final location. After he moves there, he'll never go anywhere else and will be available to wheel and deal and buy your stuff for the rest of the game (as long as you don't kill him, which you have no reason to do). His stock also replenishes when he moves and in his final spot is infinite, if you want tons of poison items.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Spoilerfree description:
First spot: Wharf
Second spot: The zone after the big steel bridge.
Final spot: The zone he feels at home in.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

People who kill Gavlan are literally monsters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The DLC can be a bit frustrating, but it also has a bunch of moments that make you laugh out loud at just how finely-tuned the assholery is. The best is "beating" Prowlers, then going around the corner...

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has online matchmaking been changed at all? There seem to be much fewer invaders and summon signs now, and my friend and I can't connect to each other.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wow. So I was bell broing for chunks and the first guy I invaded was just waiting for me with a phantom, standing on my spawn point. I kill the phantom but when another bell cop joins the fray the host disconnects immediately. That's just pathetic.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

After playing 90% of the new DLC and 100% of the first DLC, I really wish the game would have just used the DLC areas in place of Old Iron Keep and The Gutter. Seriously, the DLC areas are so much better designed and so much more interesting to interact with; I wish the DLC just enabled you to swap the original Lord Soul zones with the DLC content.

Also, Crown of the Iron King has been way more satisfying than Crown of the Sunken King. It took more attempts for me to kill Fume Knight than probably any other boss aside from my NG attempts to down Vendrick, but I never felt like FK was doing anything cheap or unavoidable, it really just made me realize I had to get better at recognizing his tells and learning how to position myself. CSK felt way too claustrophobic and the enemies had resistances out the rear end and as a whole Poison is a lovely mechanic to base an entire DLC around, but CIK is just rocking my box from beginning to end.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Spoilerfree description:
First spot: Wharf
Second spot: The zone after the big steel bridge.
Final spot: The zone he feels at home in.

I think I know the big steel bridge it's in the region with the Spanish Inquisition guys?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Out of curiosity, is there any way of changing your base class? I'm down with using CE and whatnot.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

People who kill Gavlan are literally monsters.

Does he drop anything if you kill him?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

He has now moved to Harvest Valley, literally after the first bonfire where all the green posion smoke is. He then moves again after this area to the Door of Pharros area and stays there.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I'm in NG++ and only just learned that Gavlan appeares in Harvest Valley.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Artificer posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any way of changing your base class? I'm down with using CE and whatnot.

Yes, but since the patch hit most of the tables/pointers haven't been updated. Try searching the /dsg/ threads on the 4chan.moe archive for Santa's updated table (or just ctrl+f ".CT"), which should have it. Or just wait a few days for the pastebin to update.

After you change class you need to visit the firekeepers to reset your base stats.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Iretep posted:

I wouldn't know :colbert:

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Iretep posted:

He drops a Grym GreatAxe, which also drops from the other Grym warriors. There is no reason to kill Gavlan.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Paracelsus posted:

The DLC can be a bit frustrating, but it also has a bunch of moments that make you laugh out loud at just how finely-tuned the assholery is. The best is "beating" Prowlers, then going around the corner...
For me so far it was tip-toeing around the fat exploders just chilling at the fire, then making a wild dash to the lever, madly dodging hellfire explosions while waiting for the elevator to sloooowly come down.... only to find another exploding dude sitting on it. I don't think i've laughed this hard at a dark souls death since getting crushed by the falling dragon skeleton in Aldia's keep. :allears:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i've gotten 11 of the Nadalia Souls what am i supposed to do with them?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Find the 12th one so it combines into a boss soul you can trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Also you do not want to summon for Fume Knight. He's similar to Smelter or Elana and Sinh in that even a single summon will jack his defense up significantly. And if you leave one of the statues alive you can bet your summon will be stupid enough to kite him over.

This happened to me too. I see the summon guy roll over to a statue and I can only stare in horror as his health goes from half to near full.

But I think the Artorias Award goes to Sir Alonne. I had so much fun fighting him; rolling through his attacks and getting one or two hits on him and him jumping and dashing at me while this awesome music is playing. And the boss room is really gorgeous as well. It just made for an awesome fight.