Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 658 days!

Keetron posted:

It is still uploading and this might take a while. Upload started when I posted this and expect it to take about a day (slow upload speed)

When it is done, you can find the Killhour pack and the original Goon Megapack here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8MRLuBKvsOTTUVlYXlpZkRMQzA&usp=sharing

awesomeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Been trying to get into SimCity 2000 Special Edition lately, I've had it since forever on GoG but only just installed it and giving it a whirl now, unfortunately it runs like crap especially in big thick cities, and also sounds like it too, are there any tweaks I can change in the DOSBox config like in the CPU settings and/or sound settings section to help remedy this, or maybe there is a custom DOSBox people recommend for it, as it uses an ancient 0.73 version of DOSBox. Basically anyone mind sharing what there config file is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait, GoG serves the DOS version and not the Windows version?

How bizzare.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Seems like the developers of Cities in Motion is working on a City Builder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfeBpagvQw

Feature list from the website:

City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
Road building and zoning
Unlock buildings and services
Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
Polished visual style and core gameplay
Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

Seems interesting and I love the fact that one of the popup-texts during the video is "Play Offline"

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 16, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Wait, GoG serves the DOS version and not the Windows version?

How bizzare.

The DOS version of SC2k is easier to get working on modern systems. I'm quite sure the Windows version is a Windows 3.1 program i.e. 16 bit, that won't run on 64 bit Windows at all. You'd need a full virtual machine running Windows 95 or 3.1 to get it working well. At that point it's much simpler to just use DOSbox and run the DOS version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nielsm posted:

The DOS version of SC2k is easier to get working on modern systems. I'm quite sure the Windows version is a Windows 3.1 program i.e. 16 bit, that won't run on 64 bit Windows at all. You'd need a full virtual machine running Windows 95 or 3.1 to get it working well. At that point it's much simpler to just use DOSbox and run the DOS version.

The game's actually 32-bit. The installer is 16-bit, but that's easy to work around for a place like GoG.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kamrat posted:

City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
Road building and zoning
Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities

Seems interesting and I love the fact that one of the popup-texts during the video is "Offline play"

I like how the trailer emphasises "PLAY OFFLINE".

It looks pretty cool and I'm sure it'll be much better than SC2013, I just wish they'd understand that city builders are primarily landscapers, not traffic simulators, and that I need to be able to plop stuff anywhere, not just next to roads. I'm still seeing a lot of repetition and few decorations like parks and whatnot, and the big empty spaces in the middle of city blocks seem to be a recurring problem whenever you try to introduce curved roads. Whatever. I'll take it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kamrat posted:

Road building and zoning

Seems interesting and I love the fact that one of the popup-texts during the video is "Offline play"

Seems very...plastic. Despite being 10 years? old, I still prefer the sim city 4 (mod) look. If they could ever get building on curves...

Tai fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's scary to think how popular an offline game is 10 years later and the scary amount of modding that is still going on...

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Tai posted:

Seems very...plastic. Despite being 10 years? old, I still prefer the sim city 4 (mod) look. If they could ever get building on curves...

I agree, but with this game being mod friendly I have high hopes. :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tai posted:

It's scary to think how popular an offline game is 10 years later and the scary amount of modding that is still going on...

When it's basically the last decent game in the entire genre...

If a decent citybuilder got release SimCity 4's community would probably die fast.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

When it's basically the last decent game in the entire genre...

If a decent citybuilder got release SimCity 4's community would probably die fast.

Indeed. If someone released a base 3d/2d city simulation with good traffic management, sensible city management, played well on modern computers, and had proper mod support. It would replace SC 4 in no time.

Shibawanko posted:

It looks pretty cool and I'm sure it'll be much better than SC2013, I just wish they'd understand that city builders are primarily landscapers, not traffic simulators, and that I need to be able to plop stuff anywhere, not just next to roads. I'm still seeing a lot of repetition and few decorations like parks and whatnot, and the big empty spaces in the middle of city blocks seem to be a recurring problem whenever you try to introduce curved roads. Whatever. I'll take it.

As long as they give it decent mod support I wouldn't worry about that.

My concern would be the personality of the game. Cities in Motion 2 is just so sterile. It's like the doctors office of PC Games.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

My concern would be the personality of the game. Cities in Motion 2 is just so sterile. It's like the doctors office of PC Games.

Agreed. I also felt that they took a step back in accessibility and UI friendliness in CiM 2. I was never able to have fun with it like I did with CiM 1, the level of micromanaging and tweaking to be done on each and every route was crazy.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

Agreed. I also felt that they took a step back in accessibility and UI friendliness in CiM 2. I was never able to have fun with it like I did with CiM 1, the level of micromanaging and tweaking to be done on each and every route was crazy.

I never played CiM 1, but CiM2 has basically been impossible for me to get into for all those reasons. Every time I try I either get confused because it's too hard to tell what is happening, or I just find it all a bit boring.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm trying to get a feel for realism in downtown cores for my new region. After looking at google maps of some large metropolitan centers, I noticed I'm sorely lacking in green belts and large parks, which is easy enough to fix and pay attention to, but I'm having trouble getting a realistic density and distribution down, as I usually zone far too densely.

I flew over Toronto the other day and I noticed the majority of medium density buildings were located along a few major roads. High density buildings were limited to 2 pockets around a downtown core, one centered around the CN tower and another a little ways away. What surprised me was many of the neighbourhoods, even the ones close to the downtown core of the largest Canadian city, were low density residential and commercial areas. It struck me how much I overuse not just high density buildings, which could easily be satisfisced by a few blocks even in the largest cities, but medium density buildings as well.

Anyone have tips or know of some decent guides for realistic downtowns that don't look like Manhattan? I feel like I wish I had more granular control between mid and high density- mid rises seem missing.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 20, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Plopabble commercial and residential are by far the best for realism. Grab the ones that also grow too and make sure not (or don't use) to get the historic ones are these are just land marks. You can have a lot of fun making really cool small town centres or even tiny villages with ploppables.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Note on plopable residential buildings, they don't work if you want them to function like normal residential buildings. A bug in the game always causes them to abandon because it doesn't "connect" to the road networks.

They got rid of the baby avatar?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I've not noticed that actually. Maybe it was a NAM thing?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Regarding mods, I noticed my plugin folder has broke 3 GB. Anyway to squish into one big DAT file i've seen mentioned in places? If so, how does it work?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Random filler things I add between cities.

This one is sort of like those American red neck towns of 40 people that are supported by people passing through stopping at the gas station and/or dinner. Added some low wealth plopabbles houses. Im not fully happy with the chopped down logs to the right. I was trying to get the development of more houses feel. Its on a mostly farm land tile with a small town in the northern part of it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tai posted:

Random filler things I add between cities.

This one is sort of like those American red neck towns of 40 people that are supported by people passing through stopping at the gas station and/or dinner. Added some low wealth plopabbles houses. Im not fully happy with the chopped down logs to the right. I was trying to get the development of more houses feel. Its on a mostly farm land tile with a small town in the northern part of it.

Living in farmin' country myself that looks pretty drat authentic to me, there are still guys who drive around cutting down unwanted timber off people's properties and selling it as firewood at gas stations too so the lumber in the field isn't exactly inauthentic. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Which reminds me of how much I hate those jagged edges on diagonal roads when there's something build on the other side. I wish they'd only appear on one side, or not at all when they're connected to a farm.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Shibawanko posted:

From the official forums here,

quote:

The game has a built-in beautification tool which allows you to create parks and define their in-game stats and then simply add them to your city.
Not entirely sure what this means practically but it might be interesting.

e: There's also a Paradox dev in that thread confirming that the game is meant to be a tightly focused "good engine with a solid base game" which will be expanded on in future

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Zohar posted:

e: There's also a Paradox dev in that thread confirming that the game is meant to be a tightly focused "good engine with a solid base game" which will be expanded on in future

This is actually more of a warning flag to me because I think the Cities XL people were saying something similar to that when the game was coming out too.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The Paradox dev who's the producer I believe said in the AMA that the game has a built in asset exporter. So you can easily add new buildings and whatnot right from the start.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Taeke posted:

Which reminds me of how much I hate those jagged edges on diagonal roads when there's something build on the other side. I wish they'd only appear on one side, or not at all when they're connected to a farm.

Same so I decided to search for something.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29797-mgb-diagonal-filler-set/

Not tried it out yet but looks perfect assuming the colours match.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

James The 1st posted:

The Paradox dev who's the producer I believe said in the AMA that the game has a built in asset exporter. So you can easily add new buildings and whatnot right from the start.

You mean an importer?

There's actually a tool right now that autoconverts SimCity 4 creations to SimCity 2013, maybe they'll be able to do similar. It's neat to be able to leverage the huge number of lots.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DarkJC posted:

I basically liked CiM2, but I like Mini Metro better so I can't exactly say I'd recommend it. Hopefully they learned some lessons!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

MikeJF posted:

You mean an importer?

There's actually a tool right now that autoconverts SimCity 4 creations to SimCity 2013, maybe they'll be able to do similar. It's neat to be able to leverage the huge number of lots.

That tool was an April fool's joke. Not that you would want to import anything into that game anyway!

Good news about the old gigapacks, thanks so much! I'll add the links to the OP when I get home later tonight.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This just makes you cry http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

A full list of virtually every dependency you will need but doesn't offer it as a pig bundle due to all that copyright shite.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Tai posted:

This just makes you cry http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

A full list of virtually every dependency you will need but doesn't offer it as a pig bundle due to all that copyright shite.

You wont need most of those. It's just a handy reference tool in case you cant find something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Noobish question: is it possible to rescale a region? As in, most regions you find for download end up being 32x32 or 40x40 (large cities), can you keep the same overall terrain but shrink it to, say, 6x6 or 8x8? Is that just a matter of changing the config.bmp?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think you will have to rescale the height map too. Just be careful, if you blindly rescale it you will end up with much steeper slopes, since a height differential that previously was over 400 m will now be across just 100 m, which should cause e.g. a 5 degree slope to turn into a 19 degree slope.

Because of this you will need to also post-process the scaled down height map, either by lowering the contrast (compress the curves), or by applying a gaussian blur. Lowering the contrast will simply scale down the range of heights so peaks will be lower and water more shallow. Blurring will overall keep the range of altitudes, but will smoothen the height differences, perhaps losing the tops and bottoms of the range too.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Noobish question: is it possible to rescale a region? As in, most regions you find for download end up being 32x32 or 40x40 (large cities), can you keep the same overall terrain but shrink it to, say, 6x6 or 8x8? Is that just a matter of changing the config.bmp?

This is a pretty good guide on how to make your own maps, or change existing ones:

http://www.sc4ever.com/knowledge/showarticle.cfm?id=1103

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thread a bit quiet so thought I would share my work in progress gated community for rich folk

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Downtown slowly starting to go big.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Are maps annoying/tedious to share? Fhuzo seems to be the only shared map I can find in this thread. SC4 sharing sites have mainly either boring maps or silly maps in shape of a dragon and things like that. I can't find any that was as good as the ones people post here. Everyone seems to suggest making maps yourself, but I seem to have the skills of a potato in creating an actually natural-looking map :(

I'd be glad if someone shared a clean map. Doesn't have to be a huge one either, my old Fhuzo is pretty much just empty space with a continent-long highway with a few villages along it.

As a side note, HappyHelmet, I really love your map(s) like the one in the most recent update, good work.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Thing is that sharing maps can be a pain. Should you share the made map, then you run into the issue of disk space, those things can be huge. So you go grayscale, which is weird as it takes a while.

I got SC4 Terraformer running on Win7 and use that to take some terrain, run a river through it and keep the rest flat with a few mountains here and there. This is easiest with placement of buildings, I hate it when stuff does not line up in hight. A mountainous map can be soothing when making terraces all over the place tho.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tai posted:

Thread a bit quiet so thought I would share my work in progress gated community for rich folk

I love making gated communities for the wealthy, just because you get more opportunity to sculpt things real nicely. Same reason I like making parks. This is a very nice gated community and were I an unfairly wealthy sim, I would consider it for a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

I love making gated communities for the wealthy, just because you get more opportunity to sculpt things real nicely. Same reason I like making parks. This is a very nice gated community and were I an unfairly wealthy sim, I would consider it for a home.

This, but then I target it for a meteor shower.

• Locked thread