Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Does DLC on the Wii U have the same cross-user privileges as regular downloaded games? I.e., if I preorder this new DLC does it apply to all users on my system, or just the purchaser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

spanky the dolphin posted:

I wish they had DLC battle arenas..

This is what I'm hoping eventually gets addressed. MK64 still has the best battlemode out of anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Huh, that big? I guess that makes some sense, it's 1/4th of the tracks that the full game has. How big is Mario Kart 8 to begin with, though? Are the textures, audio, and polygonal data really that huge?

1/2 actually. Game currently has 32, DLC will add a total of 16 more.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Does DLC on the Wii U have the same cross-user privileges as regular downloaded games? I.e., if I preorder this new DLC does it apply to all users on my system, or just the purchaser?
I think all users can use the DLC, but if you remove the account that buys the DLC, you remove the DLC ownership itself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So only 1 of the unused cup icons found my the MK8 hackers is in the DLC

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Question, is The Fall any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YeYhsOWQA

Cause I think The Fall looks pretty good, but this is the first I've heard of it and trailers can be bullshit. Opinions?

This game looks a lot like The Swapper.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Astro7x posted:

So only 1 of the unused cup icons found my the MK8 hackers is in the DLC

I want Boo cup along with King Boo and regular Dry Bones. They can take the slot of all the baby racers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, he said he wants to add more visual styles as well as elements from outside of the Mario universe. The version shown at E3 was really very basic.

I can't loving wait to create my own Zelda 2 levels with Piranha Plants.*

*Was not confirmed to actually be possible but I can dream

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

1/2 actually. Game currently has 32, DLC will add a total of 16 more.

I meant each DLC is 1/4 individually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

I meant each DLC is 1/4 individually.

There's probably some witty Doctor Who quote about numbers...but that is beyond the purview of this thread.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

What other DLC has Nintendo done, and has it been decent? I know of Luigi U and I think I heard New super mario bros 2 on the 3ds had some small dlc too.
They did a similar season pass thing with Mario Golf earlier this year which nearly doubled the amount of content in that game for $15. The Pikmin 3 DLC was very good, some people questioned the value of the NSMB2 and Fire Emblem DLC stuff but if you liked those games the DLC was a good excuse to play more of them. Heck Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was a free to play game built entirely around the concept of buying DLC and should have been the worst poo poo ever, but ended up being very well received.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
As mindblown as I was by the existence of crossover DLC, I'm gonna' wait until I see a little more of at least the retro tracks in the first pack before I purchase either one.

Anyway, the recent news tidbit has been updated; some of you may like this one.

quote:

Recent News Tidbit: In a recent interview featured in EDGE, Shigeru Miyamoto explained how Nintendo has been specifically moving away from the "casual" video game consumer. Here's the source.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nintendo are years behind everyone else when it comes to the internet, so I guess it makes sense that they're producing what we used to call expansion packs years after most other publishers have (sadly) moved on from that business model. :unsmith:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I didn't even know there were DLC tracks coming out, I thought all we had were the car advertisements. This is really great news.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why the gently caress do people care about Link when TANOOKI MARIO IS RIGHT THERE

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Why the gently caress do people care about Link when TANOOKI MARIO IS RIGHT THERE

Kitsune Luigi or bust.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I want to meet the only person on the planet who is willing to buy only one of the two DLC packs, we all know you're out there.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I'd have to imagine because a) it's Mario #4, alongside Peach #4, and b) because LINK IS RIGHT THERE

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nolgthorn posted:

I want to meet the only person on the planet who is willing to buy only one of the two DLC packs, we all know you're out there.

My struggle against statistics brings me to dark places.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Pshaw, of the two new Mario Universe characters they're adding with that DLC pack, Cat-suit Peach is clearly the superior choice :colbert:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The fact that Shigeru Miyamoto realizes that they need to double down on their hardcore market makes me incredibly excited to see what they have in store in the future.

Strafox/F-Zero mashup racing/adventure/space combat game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Strafox/F-Zero mashup racing/adventure/space combat game.

It's a shame Nitronic Rush and its successor already exist, otherwise that's exactly what said mashup could have been.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

noirstronaut posted:

Why would I want to play as some giant-testicled plumber when I can be the green-clad fairy boy? :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aperture Priority posted:

Why would I want to play as some giant-testicled plumber when I can be the green-clad fairy boy? :allears:

It really feels as though you answered your own question, there. :clint:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The final boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze is impossible and goes on for way way way too long. Been stuck on it for over 2 months now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think he's that tough, but he's not as well-designed as the rest of the bosses. Most of the bosses in the game don't make you wait through a long cycle to get your chance to attack, so it's disappointing they went that route for the last one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I loved that boss in that i hated it, but when I was getting torn apart by its last phase as usual, I panicked during the horizontal ice dragons bit and jumped way too early only to find out it was a different attack with an ultra fast ice dragon that didnt hit me and when i jump again in confusion i beat the game. His undeniable competence was his downfall!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think he's that tough, but he's not as well-designed as the rest of the bosses. Most of the bosses in the game don't make you wait through a long cycle to get your chance to attack, so it's disappointing they went that route for the last one.

I've done it so many times now I know the correct response to every single phase, but it goes on forever and ever and ever and eventually those little slip-ups add up to a death.

The one thing I have real trouble with is attacking him, too. I sometimes can't even get a single hit in. I either get hit by his stupid horns or jump over him.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Use Dixies's power or play co-op. (you lose your partner after 3 hits.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You guys are straight fuckers if Tanooki Mario isn't the best thing to ever happen in your life.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

noirstronaut posted:

You guys are straight fuckers if Tanooki Mario isn't the best thing to ever happen in your life.

I just like Legend of Zelda a lot okay.

Also Tanooki Mario is pretty good but it's no Hawaiian Shirt + Sunglasses Mario. :colbert:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TEHJOE posted:

I HAVE been using Dixie :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would've been cool to get Zelda as part of the Zelda DLC instead of 3D World power ups but Link is pretty great and I'm more excited about the new tracks than the characters anyways.

I was on the Amiibo website today and saw that Captain Toad is going to use it. I still don't really get it but it'd be neat if you could scan Captain Toad into MK8 or something. If they're doing stuff like that then I'm going to be the lame nerd with a bunch of Nintendo figures

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Help Im Alive posted:

It would've been cool to get Zelda as part of the Zelda DLC instead of 3D World power ups but Link is pretty great and I'm more excited about the new tracks than the characters anyways.

I was on the Amiibo website today and saw that Captain Toad is going to use it. I still don't really get it but it'd be neat if you could scan Captain Toad into MK8 or something. If they're doing stuff like that then I'm going to be the lame nerd with a bunch of Nintendo figures

Are they gonna have third party figures at all? I want a captain toad and one of those little helmet dudes from megaman. :kimchi:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Are they gonna have third party figures at all? I want a captain toad and one of those little helmet dudes from megaman. :kimchi:

My realistic expectations are that they will eventually create figures of about 2/3 of the Smash Bros. roster before discontinuing the concept. It's the eReader all over again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TEHJOE posted:

I thought Cranky was more useful for the final boss, manipulating the fall speed was the only way I could consistently hit the dude.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got really pissed off jut a few days ago fighting that rear end in a top hat. His hitbox when he's fastest is bullshit and that's where I'd always die. Then I realized you can kill off the assholes he summons for hearts. I abused that to make sure I always was at max hearts.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

MK8 DLC packs are available! :woop: racing as colored yoshis and shy guys!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bass Bottles posted:

The final boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze is impossible and goes on for way way way too long. Been stuck on it for over 2 months now.

Never ended up beating the DS DK game either because it was some bullshit, after the rest of the game was a piece of cake. Now you've got me worried about this new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

My realistic expectations are that they will eventually create figures of about 2/3 of the Smash Bros. roster before discontinuing the concept. It's the eReader all over again.

It's more like the Playstation all over again. The only reason they are doing Amiibo is because Activision came to them with the concept of Skylanders and an offer of exclusivity. Nintendo passed, ate crow, and are trying to undo a bad decision.

Here's a (mobile) article about it. Sorry for the mobile, I'm on my phone.

• Locked thread