Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Handsome Ralph posted:

My only issue is why do we need to wait till May 2015 for the second DLC pack? Seems kinda stretched out for DLC, but whatever, Nintendo has the right idea as far as content is concerned.

DLC doesn't develop and test itself. Plus with an extended release schedule, hype for the game remains high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Harlock posted:

Just end Mario Kart and make the next one Nintendo Kart. Or Nintendo All Stars Racing. Something less infringing.

Nintendo vs. Sega and All-Stars Karting Transformed.

Plus Danica Patrick again because why not?

vvv Kirby's Warp Star Kart DLC incoming.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm looking forward to the Samus DLC next November and Kirby DLC in May 2016

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Also featuring president Vanellope von Schweetz. I don't disrespect Ralph, but Vanellope was the actual racer in the movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Handsome Ralph posted:

My only issue is why do we need to wait till May 2015 for the second DLC pack? Seems kinda stretched out for DLC, but whatever, Nintendo has the right idea as far as content is concerned.

I've been saying this since seeing how well done Sega's racing game is. I'm glad they're actually going for it.

One piece of DLC every six months seems decent enough for all it is. They really should've announced this earlier, tho, so the second pack didn't seem horribly far away.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

SyHopeful posted:

We had to turn off the Mii ghosts because on many levels there was just too much poo poo on the screen and the camera would back wayyyyyy out so I couldn't tell if I was looking at my character, my girlfriend's character, or one of the Miis running around.

That said, we've beaten the game and are now going back through to get all the green stars.

Oh yeah, if you're doing multiplayer the Mii ghosts just end up being too many moving things on screen at once. Good luck getting the green stars! Let us know when you're trying to find the green stars in 6-3!

Welp! And I already thought MK8 was the best Mario Kart.

For all the issues Nintendo's had with contemporary Internet functionality, they really do a drat good job with their DLC. As someone who still remembers the Expansion Packs that DLC has basically completely replaced, I'll say that Nintendo's DLC is like a legitimate mini Expansion Pack. I really hope these are successful because I was people to see this model succeed and follow in its footsteps instead of pursuing microtransaction bullshit.

Also, really great to see more Nintendo crossovers and collaborations with other developers. There's definitely a hell of a lot of potential there. Can't believe games are still debuting in arcades though. Still I guess that gives an opportunity for further enhancements before a console release.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So now was definitely a good time to jump on MK8 and the WiiU. Good poo poo, Nintendo!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
F-Zero didn't die it just merged with the Mario Onmiverse.

Any word on battle Mode though, they really need to fix that because Moomoo farms is the only one that's barely passable.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Nintendo, why are you making really cool mind-blowing Mario Kart 8 DLC instead of making more Pikmin DLC???? :mad:

Also, according to the recent EDGE magazine (GAF source) Tezuka has confirmed that you will be able to share levels online in Mario Maker.

Like, duh.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Smash Bros roster
Pokken Fighters
Mario Kart 8 DLC

Video games are great guys. I love video games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Question, is The Fall any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YeYhsOWQA

Cause I think The Fall looks pretty good, but this is the first I've heard of it and trailers can be bullshit. Opinions?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So is Mario Maker basically a spiritual successor to Mario Paint? Please say yes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Morby posted:

So is Mario Maker basically a spiritual successor to Mario Paint? Please say yes.

Yes.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Morby posted:

That's actually Warioware D.I.Y. but Mario Maker is another thing that is sort of like Mario Paint in some ways yes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh my god that DLC looks absolutely amaziiiing why can't this year go faster???

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Seshoho Cian posted:

Smash Bros roster
Pokken Fighters
Mario Kart 8 DLC

Video games are great guys. I love video games.

Seriously. So glad I just got a Wii U, video games are life. Smash is hometown.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

That's actually Warioware D.I.Y. but Mario Maker is another thing that is sort of like Mario Paint in some ways yes

Ok, already sold on it! :toot:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Morby posted:

They already showed the little flies exist, and talked about adding music creation at e3 from what I remember. Maybe I am talking out of my rear end but I think that plus more game style options were things tezuka(?) mentioned.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, he said he wants to add more visual styles as well as elements from outside of the Mario universe. The version shown at E3 was really very basic.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Question, is The Fall any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YeYhsOWQA

Cause I think The Fall looks pretty good, but this is the first I've heard of it and trailers can be bullshit. Opinions?

It's a fairly atmospheric puzzle/adventure about an AI onboard a combat suit trying to save its human pilot after crash-landing on an unknown planet and discovering some sort of seemingly decommissioned facility under the planet's surface. It's an interesting take on what happens when an AI's laws and rules conflict with each other, as the AI discovers that to save her pilot, which is a law of its own, she might need to bend the other hardcoded rules and laws of being an AI. I was pretty into the story and enjoyed watching it develop. The environments, while dark due to little power in the base, are interesting, Fallout-y sort of places. You can find logbook entries that either give hints or backstory and by scanning the environment you can piece together a little more of what happened in the facility than the game explicitly tells you. There isn't any music other than environmental sounds which was fine by me.

That said, it's a puzzle/adventure game and the puzzles do get fairly obtuse at times. I only had to look up help once for a solution that I'd never thought of doing but I did try brute-forcing a lot of the puzzles by just doing Open Inventory -> Try Item. Everything you find has a purpose, you just need to find the singular purpose that item serves. There's a little gunplay with some minor cover-shooting that's not too tough but might be a little finicky. Additionally, it's very much worth mentioning that the game is only Part 1 of a series. You're getting a finished product that wraps up fairly well but there's more to the story that will only come in the next installment(s). It's about 2-3 hours long depending on how stuck you get on the puzzles.

I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to the next part. I don't know what it's selling for on the eShop since I bought it for $5 on a Steam Daily Deal but I'll probably pay the full $10 for the next part. Play in a dark room for best atmospherics.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, if they could of managed a Black Friday or Christmas Smash Wii U release, and then bundled it with MK8 and the DLC available at that point, and put it up for a not ridiculous price, Wii U's could have been selling themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
(crosspost from the eShop thread)

NOA put out a press release for the Mario Kart DLC:

-Each DLC pack will cost $7.99, or you can buy 'em as a double-pack for $11.99
-Each pack requires 1GB+ of storage space
-You can pre-order the DLC packs on the eShop once the new update goes live; anyone who pre-orders both packs will get immediate access to the eight Yoshi/Shyguy characters (you don't need to pre-order to get these, if you buy both packs as they're released you'll get 'em too)

Reminder: Pack 1 is scheduled for November, Pack 2 is scheduled for May. Each pack contains 3 new characters, 4 new karts and 8 new tracks, including characters/tracks from other franchises like Zelda, Animal Crossing and F-Zero.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(crosspost from the eShop thread)

NOA put out a press release for the Mario Kart DLC:

-Each pack requires 1GB+

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

Huh, that big? I guess that makes some sense, it's 1/4th of the tracks that the full game has. How big is Mario Kart 8 to begin with, though? Are the textures, audio, and polygonal data really that huge?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-You can pre-order the DLC packs on the eShop once the new update goes live; anyone who pre-orders both packs will get immediate access to the eight Yoshi/Shyguy characters (you don't need to pre-order to get these, if you buy both packs as they're released you'll get 'em too)

I'm just... staring at this... wondering why this isn't the default way of doing pre-order DLC. "Pay us money now, you get stuff now! Plus the other stuff you paid for when it's released!" gently caress season passes, gimmie whatever you've got done NOW!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm just... staring at this... wondering why this isn't the default way of doing pre-order DLC. "Pay us money now, you get stuff now! Plus the other stuff you paid for when it's released!" gently caress season passes, gimmie whatever you've got done NOW!

Seriously. How does Nintendo fail so hard at getting the Internet yet are putting out some of the most high-value DLC in the entire goddamn industry?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You can also cancel you pre-order at any time before the release of the first pack, so that's nice.

EDIT: you can't do it from the menu, you have to call customer service, apparently. Lame.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Wild Knight posted:

Seriously. How does Nintendo fail so hard at getting the Internet yet are putting out some of the most high-value DLC in the entire goddamn industry?

Its literally because every other company sees online game elements as nothing but money-makers. Like, take Halo for example, Microsoft set up this website/game hub called Halo Waypoint, and it's supposed to be a way to track your achievements, see what your friends are doing, keep up to date on news, etc. but in practice it's nothing but a giant advertisement machine designed to make you buy all the things you don't already have. "OH look at this! one of your friends has more gamerscore than you because he owns Spartan Assault and you don't! You don't want to lose to him do you? Click here to buy now!"

Nintendo seems to have always had the same philosophy with game design: Make a quality product that people enjoy and you wont have to nickel and dime them to break even.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wild Knight posted:

I think some people may disagree when it comes to those overpriced NMB2 Coin Rush Packs.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's a minor bonus for paying for the packs early. I am actually considering it not for the Shy Guy and Yoshi stuff, but to get my 2015 DLC purchase to count in 2014 when I can still get 5% back in DDP credit. That $11.99 DLC pack is going to cost $11.40 when you factor in the 5% back.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Considering a Wii U, but I'm wondering if it can output audio through the AV-out (or other means) while using the HDMI. I use a monitor for my HD consoles but it has lovely speakers, so I usually run audio through the line-in on my PC into its sound system.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I think Nintendo sees things through a completely different filter than other companies. They see that DLC is a lucrative thing and decide to try it out but instead of on-disk DLC, season passes, and overpriced costume packs, they're giving us a mini version of the game we already own plus a bonus for pre-ordering.

It's like how when they heard that shooters are popular they declined to give us Call of Battlefield: Browner Edition and instead started working on Splatoon.

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!
:Dee[

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

It's amazing what having game developers with high standards can do. Everyone else ships unfinished games and charges to access the parts they finish afterwards, but Nintendo's DLC could easily be sold as stand-alone sequels/expansions and nobody would bat an eye.

Unfortunately, they do not have the same passion for online infrastructure, so you get things like the Dumbest Content Licensing Ever, where your games are tied to both your account AND the hardware and gently caress you if you sell your console and decide to purchase another one later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zonekeeper posted:

It's amazing what having game developers with high standards can do. Everyone else ships unfinished games and charges to access the parts they finish afterwards, but Nintendo's DLC could easily be sold as stand-alone sequels/expansions and nobody would bat an eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toad's Treasure Tracker started off as DLC for 3D World but then they just decided it was big enough to make its own game.

Still want 3D World DLC though. And Tropical Freeze.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

And Tropical Freeze.

I bet it would be Candy Kong DLC since they bothered making an entirely new rendition for that smash trophy that's not present in any other game.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I wish they had DLC battle arenas..

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What other DLC has Nintendo done, and has it been decent? I know of Luigi U and I think I heard New super mario bros 2 on the 3ds had some small dlc too.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I bet it would be Candy Kong DLC since they bothered making an entirely new rendition for that smash trophy that's not present in any other game.

Let somebody else handle the flights and let me move through water quickly and beat things with a surfboard.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
At E3 2011 Nintendo showed off the Wii U. I thought "there's no way I'm buying this poo poo." Then they showed off Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros.

What I'm trying to say is my Wii U comes in the mail tomorrow and goddamnit bring on the Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Curse, etc etc etc

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

They did some minor NSMB2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC that was sort of lame and kind of expensive, but more of a "well if you liked the main game, here's some more of that for a few dollars" type deal. Mario Golf: World Tour DLC pretty much doubled the number of holes in the game and added like 4 or something characters.

NSMBU DLC was more of an expansion pack, in that it was literally the same game again, except with shorter, harder levels and Nabbit replacing Mario.

Pikmin DLC was sort of similar to the NSMB2 and FE:A DLC in that it was more of the same. Like there is 3 lines of levels in both of the mission modes and the first line of 5 is free, the second is DLC but are just remixes of the first five, and the third are new levels entirely, and have Louie in them. They did give you the first missions of the second and third lines for free though. So it works out that not counting Boss Battles, there are 30 missions in Mission Mode, and 16 of them are DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iastudent posted:

Considering a Wii U, but I'm wondering if it can output audio through the AV-out (or other means) while using the HDMI. I use a monitor for my HD consoles but it has lovely speakers, so I usually run audio through the line-in on my PC into its sound system.

Yes. That's the same setup I use. Was even able to jack my old Wii AV-out and plug that into my WiiU just fine.

Be warned, they don't have a Optical out, digital audio is tied to the HDMI and you need to jump through some hoops to get that pumping through a surround sound system, which is pointless cause nothing supports surround sound on the WiiU anyway.

Zonekeeper posted:

Unfortunately, they do not have the same passion for online infrastructure, so you get things like the Dumbest Content Licensing Ever, where your games are tied to both your account AND the hardware and gently caress you if you sell your console and decide to purchase another one later.

You know, now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.

Nintendo has a passion for making games.

They have no passion for making a satisfying customer experience.

For comparison, take Sony, they have a lot of communication and collaboration across their world branches. SoA and SoE are autonomous enough to develop and market games pretty much entirely on their own, with full support from all other branches. There's a kind of sysnergy there, where costumer input in Europe affects hardware and online design in Japan. Because they have, if not passion, at least a willingness to improve customer service.

Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe are basically Nintendo Customer Service. Their input into designing software or improving hardware infrastructure is either ignored or implemented on a "when we feel like it" timeline. Pretty much every branch of Nintendo that isn't Nintendo of Japan is devoted to advertising and customer service.

It's not that Nintendo doesn't care. It's that they consider the job done, and so give all their focus to making kick rear end games, and leave the other stuff to the other guys who are doing whatever they can with what they have.

At least, that's the impression I get. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here, but that does seem to be Sony's key to success where Nintendo is failing, they're more focused on ensuring the customer is satisfied.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread