Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm pretty sure everything two-shots you because of the new combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

RareAcumen posted:

Now, in my ignorance of how coding works, that explains why everything two-shots you. Since there's no set mobs and everything is just randomly cobbled together there's no set amount of damage one thing can do. Unless they do it by body type or something.

I thought they did it by Threat Level.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I thought they did it by Threat Level.

You are correct. Body parts determine the types of attacks, TL the intensity.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've just spent the last 7 days in a haze of Terraria addiction. Now that I've done everything -- twice -- rather than pick up the pieces of my life, how does Starbound hold up to it these days? Is there a popular server goons play on?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I've just spent the last 7 days in a haze of Terraria addiction. Now that I've done everything -- twice -- rather than pick up the pieces of my life, how does Starbound hold up to it these days? Is there a popular server goons play on?

Starbound doesn't have even a third of the stuff Terraria does yet, but it is under some pretty heavy reworking at the moment and will probably be significantly different in the next few patches than it is right now, if the experimental builds are any indication.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Looks like SpeedRazor's server went poof, are there any other goon servers up right now (or suggestions for good non-goon servers?)

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
New blog up for Chucklefish.

Looks like a reasonably concrete list of what is planned and what remains to do for 1.0 launch. While I'm a little disappointed in the speed of the progress up to this point, I think the things they are working on sound great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

quote:

If monster level = armor level +1 > Take 3 monster bites to die.
Well, Three bites to die is IS more than two. Or one. I guess. I wonder if that counts projectiles or multihit projectiles?

quote:

"if gun level = armor level = monster level > be able to shoot long enough to kill 1.5 / 2 monsters (assuming no misses). if staff level = monster level > kill monster in 1 hit with slow charging staff"
Don't monsters pretty much always come in groups of two, upwards of 'how many pairs of monsters have spawned on screen'?

I'm very glad to hear they plan to bundle "roadblock" solving effects into the armor itself as you progress though, even if it means that back lantern is going in the garbage forever. Holy poo poo that crafting station inflation though.

No word about more convenient healing when the planned balance is to to take off 1/3 of your healthbar (at minimum) per hit when you first show up somewhere new and need to dig your way to only 1/7 of your bar per hit lost? How much godawful damage monsters do to you and how much of a bitch it was to keep topped up on health even if you just took a single hit every tenth fight was my main issue with old Stable. And I'm not seeing anything do deal with that planned so far sprinkled between all these shiny new toys promised :saddowns:

EDIT:

Looking at that Biome progression. Are Moons supposed to be warm now? Because it lists "Breathing apparatus. Go to moon. Fix FTL drive" before the next tier down you build a Warmth generator to go to Tundra's and asteroids. Maybe they expect us to wear Snow gear which has worse armor value than Copper while mining on the moon?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 3, 2014

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

graynull posted:

New blog up for Chucklefish.

Looks like a reasonably concrete list of what is planned and what remains to do for 1.0 launch. While I'm a little disappointed in the speed of the progress up to this point, I think the things they are working on sound great.

Yeah it's pretty cool! I also want to clarify that the next stable release isn't going to be 1.0.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The branches in the tech diagram come in a lot later than I thought they would.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Sweet. Can anyone who's played the nightly recently give a rough idea on how ready the tech tree is? Also have they fixed the terrible blunder I hear they made with sand and ore drops? I'm going to be real sad if I can't enjoy an avalanche of stuff, and even more so if the ores are destroyed instead of staying where they were.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Between the tech tree and the statement about balancing the matter manipulator and possibly removing other mining tools, what exactly does this mean for mining? Did they undo that dumb thing they did to mining in the nightly builds recently?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ToastyPotato posted:

Did they undo that dumb thing they did to mining in the nightly builds recently?

The need to grind higher picks in to be able to get higher ore out of the ground? No.
You can however use the matter manipulator to pick those guys up. Hopefully intentionally.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Petition to change the thread title to "Starbound-All these unread posts are about content, not bitching, come on back guys"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Big blog post including flowcharts and stuff.

Might be interesting to someone, personally I hate reading.

These are probably the pictures that were posted on twitter, they may contain spoilers or whatever.

Tech Diagram:

Biome Diagram:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh no, the Biome flowchart makes it look a lot like "Haha, you're stuck in one system until you get to tier whatever" which is exactly the opposite of what everyone wanted. I HAVE A SPACESHIP FOR A REASON DAMNIT.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Simple solution: Once a player has completed the 'repair the FTL drive' mission arc, just let them start any new characters from that point. It's clearly intended to be a tutorial segment, so there's not much need to repeat it beyond that first playthrough.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kikas posted:

Oh no, the Biome flowchart makes it look a lot like "Haha, you're stuck in one system until you get to tier whatever" which is exactly the opposite of what everyone wanted. I HAVE A SPACESHIP FOR A REASON DAMNIT.

Wasn't there supposed to be an "RPG" mode and a separate "sandbox" mode? I could have sworn that's how the whole thing was supposed to work.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kikas posted:

Your spaceship can go where it pleases, You just can't beam down to a planet with an atmosphere that melts your flesh until you get the proper upgrades to deal with that

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Biome Diagram:

I'm not sure any space exploration game which uses a flowchart for its design is going to turn out well. Exploring isn't about climbing a ladder.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd like less of a ladder, more of a Dark Souls approach with the option to follow the specified route and the option to not, and have a difficult but not impossible time to get to the end.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Aertuun posted:

I'm not sure any space exploration game which uses a flowchart for its design is going to turn out well. Exploring isn't about climbing a ladder.

This looks like a Metroidvania design document, and Metroidvania is a pretty well-established successful exploration pattern.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dominic White posted:

Simple solution: Once a player has completed the 'repair the FTL drive' mission arc, just let them start any new characters from that point. It's clearly intended to be a tutorial segment, so there's not much need to repeat it beyond that first playthrough.
That's a great idea, helps maintain some kind of structure while still not limiting the player overmuch.

MrLonghair posted:

I'd like less of a ladder, more of a Dark Souls approach with the option to follow the specified route and the option to not, and have a difficult but not impossible time to get to the end.
I'm 100% in favor of this too, but be prepared for like 95% of fans crying HOW COME EVERYTHING KILLS ME???

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Once again, they have the heat system item for the Biome tier AFTER they want you to go to the moon to dig up your FTL drive repair stuff with your airtank unlock.

Vib Rib posted:

That's a great idea, helps maintain some kind of structure while still not limiting the player overmuch.

I'm 100% in favor of this too, but be prepared for like 95% of fans crying HOW COME EVERYTHING KILLS ME???

Everything kills you anyways even when you're were you are supposed to be for progression though. I don't mind places well out of your supposed 'level' kicking your rear end, but "monsters +1 past your armor tier will be balanced to kill you in three hits. Healing is still bullshit" not so much. Are you max tech for your current planet? Good job you can survive SEVEN hits, and kill MAYBE two monsters with your gun, any gun.

Then see the above, where you'll probably have to use the Worse Than Even Copper snow gear to survive digging through moons to get the parts for your FTL drive. Never feeling like you make any progress and merely desperately trying to reach mediocre, at which point you must move on to your next asspounding because your best possible gear at that point is garbage again isn't progression, because you never get "better" compared to what you have to deal with, everything else gets stronger while you can't even play catch up right.

EDIT: Slowed to a crawl and filled with extra busywork progression is just Standard Video Games Timesink design, which I could deal with.

But combat and health design doing it's damnedest to keep you firmly locked into 'fragile bone disease with a side of inventory drop and despawn', not so much. I'm a big casual baby that wants to not die in 3 or less hits from the four or more enemies spawning at once when going to where the progression says I'm supposed to go next, while working my way back up to "Maybe your gun will kill somebody before it runs out of energy, if you don't miss".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 5, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Section Z posted:

Once again, they have the heat system item for the Biome tier AFTER they want you to go to the moon to dig up your FTL drive repair stuff with your airtank unlock.

Everything kills you anyways even when you're were you are supposed to be for progression though. I don't mind places well out of your supposed 'level' kicking your rear end, but "monsters +1 past your armor tier will be balanced to kill you in three hits. Healing is still bullshit" not so much. Are you max tech for your current planet? Good job you can survive SEVEN hits, and kill MAYBE two monsters with your gun, any gun.

Then see the above, where you'll probably have to use the Worse Than Even Copper snow gear to survive digging through moons to get the parts for your FTL drive. Never feeling like you make any progress and merely desperately trying to reach mediocre, at which point you must move on to your next asspounding because your best possible gear at that point is garbage again isn't progression, because you never get "better" compared to what you have to deal with, everything else gets stronger while you can't even play catch up right.

EDIT: Slowed to a crawl and filled with extra busywork progression is just Standard Video Games Timesink design, which I could deal with.

But combat and health design doing it's damnedest to keep you firmly locked into 'fragile bone disease with a side of inventory drop and despawn', not so much. I'm a big casual baby that wants to not die in 3 or less hits from the four or more enemies spawning at once when going to where the progression says I'm supposed to go next, while working my way back up to "Maybe your gun will kill somebody before it runs out of energy, if you don't miss".

It's pretty easy to mod it so that all armour is doubled in effectiveness though so it's not that bad. Still awful annoying though I imagine.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Constrained starting zones aren't bad at all. It makes you concentrate on one finite section of the greater universe for a while- gives it some weight and meaning. Currently, flitting from planet to planet, each system is theoretically nothing. Being stuck in one system, having to deal with it to progress... that sounds quite fun to me. I understand wanting to skip that on another character... but honestly I'd really like to skip a whole lot of the ore grinding, early boss killing, and crafting tree nonsense on another character. It's almost as if starting a new character is only fun if you're willing to grind out the start of the game again. (An option to skip a lot of that kind of bullshit for a new character would indeed be fun- but the limited FTL thing is the smallest part of that.)

And of course there's going to be gated content. That's where the game aspect comes in, in the sense that you do a thing and get a reward for doing it right. It'd be like playing Minecraft and getting angry that you couldn't go to the Nether right away or something.

The gating seems really organic and reasonable too. Like, you're stuck on one planet, and then in one system for the first bit... but once you get FTL you can go anywhere... you just won't survive on a lot of hostile planets.

Then you go through "a nebula" to get to "hard mode" planets with tentacles, and eventually through a black hole to get to endgame content.

That's as reasonable as can be. Sounds like a great way of adding structure to this kind of game.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Sorry to break up the discussion, but I finally uploaded babby's first mod. The Geodes are live, if somewhat scarce in content, and you can pick them up here. I'm hoping it works, but if it doesn't please let me know and I'll try to fix it. If you're wondering why it took so long, my old computer kind of poo poo the bed, and it took a while to get a new one. Sorry.

Regarding the geodes themselves, I reworked their backstory and general character to be less cowardly, and now they have a collective endgoal. Only the first two tiers of content are included (and only just), but now I have a bit clearer of an idea of where I want to go with them. Good places, hopefully.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Any word on if they are getting close to release or are not going to wipe characters anymore?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Any word on if they are getting close to release or are not going to wipe characters anymore?

Character wipes were done away with quite a while ago now, due to massive and insistent whining from the community.

I'm curious how much of an impact having to make sure characters can carry across to the next update has had on things.

Also: http://playstarbound.com/

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Dominic White posted:

Just a heads up, I'm like 90% sure the devs don't read this thread any more. I mean, I probably wouldn't after that whole...thing. You'd be better off taking it to the official forum, or Twitter.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Scratch-O posted:

Just a heads up, I'm like 90% sure the devs don't read this thread any more. I mean, I probably wouldn't after that whole...thing. You'd be better off taking it to the official forum, or Twitter.

Supernorn, about 20 posts up from yours (i.e., on this very page, from about three days ago), is a dev.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cicadas! posted:

Sorry to break up the discussion, but I finally uploaded babby's first mod. The Geodes are live, if somewhat scarce in content, and you can pick them up here. I'm hoping it works, but if it doesn't please let me know and I'll try to fix it. If you're wondering why it took so long, my old computer kind of poo poo the bed, and it took a while to get a new one. Sorry.

Regarding the geodes themselves, I reworked their backstory and general character to be less cowardly, and now they have a collective endgoal. Only the first two tiers of content are included (and only just), but now I have a bit clearer of an idea of where I want to go with them. Good places, hopefully.

Oh rad! They look really nice. Im totally checking them out after work.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Scratch-O posted:

they must not read anything written about the game anywhere then

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magmarashi posted:

Character wipes were done away with quite a while ago now, due to massive and insistent whining from the community.

Are you really going to blame "the other guys :rolleyes:" for the devs deciding to make the last major update before their extended vacation something where updates won't wipe characters.

Why did they decide to listen to the community for this, something that actually is covered by the game being in early release, and not any of the other very obvious and basic issues that plague the game's fundamentals?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Actually, finalizing your data structures is more fundamental than pretty much anything you'd notice playing the game.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've played starbound for 39 hours and have not found a single gun. I haven't played in awhile though, is gun crafting now in the game so I can make them?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've played starbound for 39 hours and have not found a single gun. I haven't played in awhile though, is gun crafting now in the game so I can make them?

I haven't played the recent nightlies, but I know Novakids start out with a gun. And they can craft guns maybe? I think that's their "thing."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Have character wipes stopped or are they ongoing? Lack of persistence was the only thing stopping me putting time into this.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Have character wipes stopped or are they ongoing? Lack of persistence was the only thing stopping me putting time into this.

Was there just a glitch in the Matrix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

poptart_fairy posted:

They stopped in the stable releases, but they're a thing in the nightly builds because those are experimental and weird.

• Locked thread