Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the surface was dead to me when took out the wacom tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graph posted:

someone at work who purchased a surface3 two weeks ago already lost the stylus

they are 50 bux lol

:wth:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A couple professors here wanted to buy 30 surface pros to use in a lab, and after demoing the Surface Pro 3 they instantly decided against it...

...and bought 30 surface pro 2's

:shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm the tablet that requires a stylus in tyool 2011

qirex posted:

I bet he has one of those big wine glasses that holds a whole bottle

we got those as a wedding gift and had to return them

our white wine glasses hold 400 ml but the red ones were more like 750, it was just stupid

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
you watch, clippers/cavaliers is gonna be the new lakers/bulls

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
is it possible to make a display with integrated tablet+stylus that doesn't exhibit lag? the old wacom-based tablet pcs had noticeable lag if you started drawing too fast but i assumed that was a problem with software or an underpowered CPU or something. by now you'd think this was a non-issue unless there's some fundamental limitation introduced when you cram drawing tablet hardware directly under an LCD screen in a thin plastic case

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is it possible to make a display with integrated tablet+stylus that doesn't exhibit lag? the old wacom-based tablet pcs had noticeable lag if you started drawing too fast but i assumed that was a problem with software or an underpowered CPU or something. by now you'd think this was a non-issue unless there's some fundamental limitation introduced when you cram drawing tablet hardware directly under an LCD screen in a thin plastic case

apparently the pen lag w/the surface 3 is a display thing only, and if you actually touch the screen and draw a stroke it keeps up

idk how you'd ever be able to tell tho because microsoft still hasnt worked out a deal with adobe to get a version of photoshop lite/elements on the loving display models

shameful poo poo right there, a bunch of retards marketing that thing (probably explains the finger paint app)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder that the top button on the stylus launches one note

l o l

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for those wondering why there's no way to store or stow the stylus, it's because you're supposed to put it in your butt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

for those wondering why there's no way to store or stow the stylus, it's because you're supposed to put it in your butt

:feelsgood:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

that guy seems a lot more competent than id expect a smartphone manufacturer chinese army officer to be tbqh

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

graph posted:

they are 50 bux lol

hmm :psyboom:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
I'm the Internet Explorer mouse cursor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Millstone posted:

I'm the Internet Explorer mouse cursor

as taken from HyperCard, ahem

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

qirex posted:

the surface 3 is like the xbone, they're coming off of a blank check project with a break-even one and surprise it's not very good
Wait, wasn't the 360 notoriously cheap as well? I mean they cut out the mandatory hard drive, no pads on the disc drive, and that entire bloody xclamp design...?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Microsoft built a 'working' Surface Pro 3 out of cardboard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait, wasn't the 360 notoriously cheap as well? I mean they cut out the mandatory hard drive, no pads on the disc drive, and that entire bloody xclamp design...?

also that entire paying for everyone that bought one in the first couple years to get a new one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh yeah Surface doesn't support Microsoft Silverlight, of course it doesn't, why would it?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...dd-ccfdb601cca1

"This is very disappointing. I'm a college football coach and the only way to play our film is through the use of Silverlight. I can't do the major part of my job using my Surface."

"Very disappointed that Microsoft hasn't provided a Silverlight app or a solution for its customers when they've know about this for a while now. It shows me that Microsoft doesn't really care about their customers or their community. I think that Microsoft is on the right track with windows RT and will eventually revolutionize the tablet world, but without the confidence of its customers and community I wonder how strong or how far that revolution will go."

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/361b1094-641f-41f5-b975-fdd698a635bf/silverlight-windows-rt?forum=silverlightgen

"I have to agree that the response does not help at all. Many of the programs and installations use Silverlight. I too bought a new laptop (Lenovo) and assumed that since the operating system was Microsoft, that I would be able to use it exclusively for exam marking that is now online. The marking system uses silverlight............and so the new computer is no use for that.....I am left using one that is about five years old and does not have a clear enough screen resolution or a bog enough screen."

"Also, why is there an app in the tablet's store to purchase Silverlight when it cannot be installed after purchasing?"

hobbesmaster posted:

also that entire paying for everyone that bought one in the first couple years to get a new one
Well that made it expensive rather than cheap, but yeah, it only happened because they cut corners

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

they still sold it at a huge loss though (of something like 100~150$ per console)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gdi all these videos i recorded in .ra format are useless now

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
from the Windows RT thread in dyp

CharlesM posted:

I like mine a lot and since unfortunately breaking it I've been using my Kindle Fire HD which sucks compared to it.

a loving litany of bad decisions

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

they still sold it at a huge loss though (of something like 100~150$ per console)
wasnt that traditional for consoles - sell at a loss for a while until volume ramps up and you can start making them cheaper, and make all the money on game royalties (classic cheap printer / expensive toner strategy)?

of course if your console doesnt show a ps2-style sales curve then youre proper hosed (the xbone will not show a ps2-style sales curve and msft is proper hosed)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FMguru posted:

wasnt that traditional for consoles - sell at a loss for a while until volume ramps up and you can start making them cheaper, and make all the money on game royalties (classic cheap printer / expensive toner strategy)?

of course if your console doesnt show a ps2-style sales curve then youre proper hosed (the xbone will not show a ps2-style sales curve and msft is proper hosed)

Sony and Microsoft used to do this (both the PS3 and 360 had manufacturing costs north of $800USD at first and they were proper-losing a few hundred for every console sold), but pretty much vowed not to anymore because it cost both of them astronomically last time. Sony especially seems to have hit the sweet spot of system build/price, although it's selling gently caress-all in Japan (it's been 6 months and I think they still haven't sold the same number of PS4's as Sony did on the first day PS2's were available there)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Cardboard Box A posted:

wait i didn't know about some of this stuff, can you explain

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

wait i didn't know about some of this stuff, can you explain

The lack of pads means if you nudge a 360 while the disc is spinning it will scratch the gently caress out of the outer ring of the disc and make the disc unusable. You have to be careful buying used from Gamestop because a lot of 360 games are this way despite the fact that they're meant to check.

The Xclamp design is how the system was designed internally which basically made it into a hotbox which would overheat and separate chips from the motherboard, resulting in the infamous rrod

and at launch you could buy the 360 with no storage for i think $299 but extra storage was crazy-expensive and still is (ms is launching a 500 gig xbox 360 hard drive soon and charging $110 for it. currently you have to pay $130 for a 320 gig), with the cheap options for the bare essentials being a 128 meg flash storage (which they eventually had to offer a free exchange to a 256 meg for). because of this baseline it hamstrung the gently caress out of game capabilities, since all games were required to be fully functional without installation and had a patch limit size of 64 megs (until about a year ago)

it was nice in that you could start playing a game within 30 seconds of inserting the disc but eventually ps3 games started going above and beyond what the 360 was doing and finally rockstar managed to tell ms they were being stupid and managed to push in a game install requirement for gta5

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

Sony and Microsoft used to do this (both the PS3 and 360 had manufacturing costs north of $800USD at first and they were proper-losing a few hundred for every console sold), but pretty much vowed not to anymore because it cost both of them astronomically last time. Sony especially seems to have hit the sweet spot of system build/price, although it's selling gently caress-all in Japan (it's been 6 months and I think they still haven't sold the same number of PS4's as Sony did on the first day PS2's were available there)

console gaming is dead in japan, its all portables

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
too bad sony doesnt have a portable lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kauBgFzYc9s&t=14s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

homo punching bag posted:

too bad sony doesnt have a portable lmao

this is why they're coming out with that wacky tv thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the cost of hardware was basically irrelevant when they spent a couple billion dollars on marketing, bought rare for like 350 million and paid out the rear end to publish a ton of flop exclusive games

even without the ~2 billion [the 1.2 was just to cover future replacements after that point] they spent replacing consoles it's still a huge money pit and ballmer was 100% behind "investing in the future" [then throwing all of it away in 90 minutes at E3 2013]

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

this is why they're coming out with that wacky tv thing

which is also selling super-terribly, to the point where goddamn psp game pre-orders are outselling it

still better than xbox's sales, though

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i knew about that cd thing but forgot about the HDD-less version. lol what a joke

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it was dubbed "the tard pack" by Gamers

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

it was dubbed "the tard pack" by Gamers

wasn't there also a problem with availability of the SKU with the hard drive, forcing some people to get the $299 hdless one and paying an assload for like a 20 gig hd?

i honestly don't know, i left the country a few months before the 360 came out and moved to japan for a few years so i have zero knowledge of the first like 3 years of the 360's life

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

univbee posted:

wasn't there also a problem with availability of the SKU with the hard drive, forcing some people to get the $299 hdless one and paying an assload for like a 20 gig hd?

i honestly don't know, i left the country a few months before the 360 came out and moved to japan for a few years so i have zero knowledge of the first like 3 years of the 360's life

the 20 gig hard drive cost $100 when the 360 came out so probably

a wifi adapter was another $100

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

let's not forget the external hd-dvd drive [MS spent another billion on "goodwill" supporting the hd-dvd platform] which had its own power brick

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qirex posted:

let's not forget the external hd-dvd drive [MS spent another billion on "goodwill" supporting the hd-dvd platform] which had its own power brick

i owned that

i'm glad i sold that piece of poo poo console

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did the wi-fi adaptor need external power as well ot could it run off usb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

see if you can spot the subtle prod placement

later mal uses a zune phone to find a strip club off the freeway

• Locked thread