Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Looke posted:

The new intro was an adapted fan made video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28871058

It's kind of marvelous how they took that (the original fan-vid is in the article) and made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It has been professionally done, it just looks amateurish.

Looke posted:

We've known that for a while.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Missy = Mistress = Female Master = Moffat getting people to shut up about female regeneration.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looke posted:

I knew that new intro looked kind of similar to the intros I had watched on that dudes youtube video page.

I don't entirely hate it. It's a little over the head with the clocks and all that, but the show pretty much changes it's intro every season it seems. So it's not like this intro will have that long of a life span anyway.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Zaggitz posted:

Missy = Mistress = Female Master = Moffat finally inverting & working the end joke from "The Curse of Fatal Death" into "official" DW canon

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

HD DAD posted:

Supposedly episode 6 was on the server also, but it hasn't surfaced anywhere.

Take it with a shaky grain of salt, but one of the more trusted spoiler hounds over at GB is saying that the Missy = Clara theories are on the right track.

That fits in better with my thematic analysis of Deep Breath, and doesn't actually seem that dumb, whereas, while I want it to happen, Missy being the Master would be TREMENDOUSLY DUMB. A lot of fun, but dumb.
Just not sure how they'll explain her looking different. Probably will end up being unnecessarily convoluted technobabble timey-wimey.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Missy = Mistress = Female Master = Moffat getting people to shut up about female regeneration.

We're just working our way to a canonized Joanna Lumley Doctor. We're just taking the long way round.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So did Listen establish that Time Lords and Gallifreyans are separate, given the Doctor's dad (?) saying "He'll never make a Time Lord!"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Chairman Capone posted:

So did Listen establish that Time Lords and Gallifreyans are separate, given the Doctor's dad (?) saying "He'll never make a Time Lord!"

That has literally been the case for decades.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

e X posted:

That has literally been the case for decades.

Maybe in books, definitely not in the show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Really? Wasn't the ritual to make someone a Time Lord a focal point of the NuWho Master and why he's just so goddamn crazy?

kant
May 12, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe in books, definitely not in the show.

I thought it was implied during The Invasion of Time without Rodan referred to 'Time Lords' as a group she wasn't part of.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

kant posted:

I thought it was implied during The Invasion of Time without Rodan referred to 'Time Lords' as a group she wasn't part of.

It wasn't just implied, it was pretty much stated outright, what with that whole tribe of Gallifreyans who basically rejected Time Lord society and all the technology that came with it (presumably including the ability to regenerate).

mind the walrus posted:

Really? Wasn't the ritual to make someone a Time Lord a focal point of the NuWho Master and why he's just so goddamn crazy?

There was that, too. Basically it's been pretty well documented in the show itself that being from Gallifrey doesn't automatically equal being a Time Lord.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It wasn't just implied, it was pretty much stated outright, what with that whole tribe of Gallifreyans who basically rejected Time Lord society and all the technology that came with it (presumably including the ability to regenerate).

There was that, too. Basically it's been pretty well documented in the show itself that being from Gallifrey doesn't automatically equal being a Time Lord.

Yeah, everything I've kind of gathered from Doctor Who mythos (TV series as well as spinoff stuff) is that Gallifrey is basically an oligarchic society, with the Time Lords being the ruling elite class. This involves Gallifreyans living under their rule, and those that reject Time Lord society (like in The Invasion of Time). One (unstated outright) example I can think of is the Chancellery Guard - you know, the security corps that Andred was part of in Invasion of Time. It seemed like it was implied that they weren't Time Lords, but rather a part of a non-Time Lord servant class.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Does Listen explain how Clara can visit the Doctor when he's a kid, considering Gallifrey is in that pocket universe now, or whatever?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

thrawn527 posted:

Does Listen explain how Clara can visit the Doctor when he's a kid, considering Gallifrey is in that pocket universe now, or whatever?

She put her hands in some gell foam or something, and the TARDIS took her to that time. Basically, they went there by way of using the "plot demands it" drive on the TARDIS.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

thrawn527 posted:

Not really, but I guess you could wave it away by thinking that they went to Gallifrey in a time when it wasn't in the pocket universe.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thepokey posted:

Not really, but I guess you could wave it away by thinking that they went to Gallifrey in a time when it wasn't in the pocket universe.

That defeats the entire point though. Ugh. Moffat playing with the Time War is the worse, he lacks the imagination to do anything good with it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

That defeats the entire point though. Ugh. Moffat playing with the Time War is the worse, he lacks the imagination to do anything good with it.

Did everyone miss the fact that Day of the Doctor either changed the end of the Time War, or revealed that the time lock wasn't actually what The Doctor had thought it was previously?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thepokey posted:

That really doesn't make sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nothing about it makes sense, in true Moffat fashion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Senor Tron posted:

Did everyone miss the fact that Day of the Doctor either changed the end of the Time War, or revealed that the time lock wasn't actually what The Doctor had thought it was previously?

The time lock WAS what they thought it was, but The Moment let them in because.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That really doesn't make sense.

True, but neither does the alternative of the TARDIS happily jumping into the pocket universe to see Gallifrey. For the sake of some kind of future story where there is a challenge of how to get to Gallifrey, I'm going to go on assuming they just visited some earlier version that isn't in the pocket universe and magically escaped the time lock; otherwise I'll find myself screaming "just make Clara stick her hands in the goo to get back there like last time!" when they're struggling to work out how to get to Gallifrey. Or something, I dunno, it's hard to come up with satisfying bridges across plot holes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Alternatively Moffat could just resist the urge to give the Doctor a loving origin story involving Clara.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to hope there's enough wiggle room to say that Clara is visiting the Doctor when he was a kid and his parents had taken him on vacation in a TARDIS to some other planet not locked away in a pocket universe. *dusts hands and walks away*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

Alternatively Moffat could just resist the urge to give the Doctor a loving origin story involving Clara.

I'd settle for not giving the Doctor a loving origin story at all.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to hope there's enough wiggle room to say that Clara is visiting the Doctor when he was a kid and his parents had taken him on vacation in a TARDIS to some other planet not locked away in a pocket universe. *dusts hands and walks away*

Except that it was the same drat shed as in "Day of the Doctor" and that was on Gallifrey.
Also I'm still angry about that special because it's clear that 10 and 11 thought 8.5 killed Gallifrey, except it was clearly established in 10's run that they were not killed, just locked away. On top of that 10 had established that he locked away Gallifrey because they were just as bad as the Daleks and them coming back was SUPER BAD to 10. So why is Gallifrey being touted as bring "saved" now, like none of that mattered and...AUGH THIS SHOW.
Lastly, just watched Listen and it's awesome.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Doctor already has an origin story - he killed a bully when he was a kid and passed the buck to the Master. :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Stairs posted:

Except that it was the same drat shed as in "Day of the Doctor" and that was on Gallifrey.
Also I'm still angry about that special because it's clear that 11 and 12 thought 8.5 killed Gallifrey, except it was clearly established in 11's run that they were not killed, just locked away. On top of that 11 had established that he locked away Gallifrey because they were just as bad as the Daleks and then coming back was SUPER BAD to 11. So why is Gallifrey being touted as bring "saved" now, like none of that mattered and...AUGH THIS SHOW.
Lastly, just watched Listen and it's awesome.

If you use 8.5 for the war doctor, I assume you mean 10 and 11, not 11 and 12?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

If you use 8.5 for the war doctor, I assume you mean 10 and 11, not 11 and 12?

Yeah, sorry. I keep doing that because Capaldi is technically 13.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the only issue with the War Doctor is now that he's not "The rear end in a top hat Who Burned Gallifrey So We Don't Call Him The Doctor", the numbering becomes a bit wibbly. If they never used the numbering in-show, I'd be okay with it...but we had that bit in Lodger where he straight up says "I'm the Eleventh!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stairs posted:

Yeah, sorry. I keep doing that because Capaldi is technically 13.

He's the 12th. That's what he's referred to by everyone, so don't confuse people.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the only issue with the War Doctor is now that he's not "The rear end in a top hat Who Burned Gallifrey So We Don't Call Him The Doctor", the numbering becomes a bit wibbly. If they never used the numbering in-show, I'd be okay with it...but we had that bit in Lodger where he straight up says "I'm the Eleventh!"

He still never called himself the doctor, and the form was taken expressly as a "warrior".

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's the 12th. That's what he's referred to by everyone, so don't confuse people.

Yes, and I do. I only think of him as 13 personally and never use it in posts or discussion, I just hosed up and did it once so I was clarifying why.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, sir. He's all thirteen. :v:

(If they'd been able to keep Capaldi's casting a secret somehow until that moment, it would've been pretty bonkers.)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Just watched Deep Breath again. Jesus loving Christ, the cartoon sound effects are infuriating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Just watched Deep Breath again. Jesus loving Christ, the cartoon sound effects are infuriating.

They really are the worst part.

Capaldi's regeneration sickness bits are quite good but those sound effects ruin so much of it.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

GonSmithe posted:

The time lock WAS what they thought it was, but The Moment let them in because.

The Moment was *probably* created by the High Evolutionaries in the Matrix as it's similar in function and name to their other creations. It helping the Doctor see an alternative to destroying Gallifrey would make sense (self-preservation and all that).

Actually, in the comics, the Matrix tried to escape Gallifrey during the Time War by stowing away in the TARDIS. That could explain Clara's jump to Gallifrey's past. Considering the nature of the Matrix (stored memories uploaded into a virtual environment), it would make a lot of sense if they're the villain of the season. After all, Clara did encounter it in the form shown with the 5th Doctor in Name of the Doctor.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rita Repulsa posted:

He still never called himself the doctor, and the form was taken expressly as a "warrior".

Warrior Who doesn't have the same ring to it, so John Hurt doesn't count.

Finally watched the premiere. It was 20 minutes of story expanded to an excruciating 90 minutes. Mancini's and the confusion over who wrote the newspaper ad would have been a decent joke if they hadn't punctuated it with long, awkward pauses. Watching it next to someone who's only known Matt Smith and couldn't understand how The Doctor could suddenly be such an old rear end in a top hat definitely made the experience better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Inkspot posted:

Warrior Who doesn't have the same ring to it
General? General WHO?

• Locked thread