Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Speaking if Doomtown, someone made a thread here. Im on my phone so no linky but its in trad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

omnibobb posted:

Speaking if Doomtown, someone made a thread here. Im on my phone so no linky but its in trad games.

Here you go http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658929

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Is there a Warhammer 40k Conquest topic yet?
I have been trying it out on OCTGN and really enjoying it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The idea of this thread is so that a thread for each LCG that isn't Netrunner doesn't get pushed into archives. We've been just using this thread to talk about it.

Myself and Vulturesrow have been playing the odd matchup randomly throughout the week, and I think we are both getting pretty into it. We've been just using the decks out of the box to get the mechanics down, but good lord not having a 50 card deck hurts if you have a really strong start with lots of card draw. By turn 3 I had maybe 8 cards left in my deck? And the Planets were set up in a way that you couldn't win until turn 4 even if you took every planet. I was being aggressive and winning every battle, but there was a good chance if we let the game actually play out I would have lost.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

To be fair, until 40k came around the main topic of this thread was pretty much just LOTR. Getting more discussion is a good thing.

On the topic of 40K:C, third pack announced: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5013

One of the weaknesses with LCGs is that if they want to introduce something like "Triggers on Ethereals," it likely won't have the card support for months, maybe years down the line. Netrunner had similar issues with runners like, say, The Professor and maybe even Nasir Medan, and corps like Weyland: BWBI. Ethereals likely won't get support for a looong time, vs something more general like attachments for the Core Tau warlord.

Edit: On the topic of 40K:C, what are the chances of them adding more planets to the lineup? Especially if they were to "expand" the game into multiplayer, which shouldn't be that hard to do, I can definitely see them adding more planets to the planet deck.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 27, 2014

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

The idea of this thread is so that a thread for each LCG that isn't Netrunner doesn't get pushed into archives. We've been just using this thread to talk about it.

Myself and Vulturesrow have been playing the odd matchup randomly throughout the week, and I think we are both getting pretty into it. We've been just using the decks out of the box to get the mechanics down, but good lord not having a 50 card deck hurts if you have a really strong start with lots of card draw. By turn 3 I had maybe 8 cards left in my deck? And the Planets were set up in a way that you couldn't win until turn 4 even if you took every planet. I was being aggressive and winning every battle, but there was a good chance if we let the game actually play out I would have lost.
That is fair. Just been seeing it a bunch on OCTGN so thought it might get it's own topic like Doomtown: Reloaded has.

Mostly I was looking for advice on constructed Tau. Right now I am focusing on Drones for grabbing planet's resources early and loading up the Ranaged guy or the one that gets +1 Damage for each Attachment and trying to snipe the other players Warlord.
Most of my problems have been coming from Chaos and Orks when we get a 3 planet win flop. They can always grab the first world and just chain off there.
So any advice about how to slow down aggression on a flop like that?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LordNat posted:

That is fair. Just been seeing it a bunch on OCTGN so thought it might get it's own topic like Doomtown: Reloaded has.

Mostly I was looking for advice on constructed Tau. Right now I am focusing on Drones for grabbing planet's resources early and loading up the Ranaged guy or the one that gets +1 Damage for each Attachment and trying to snipe the other players Warlord.
Most of my problems have been coming from Chaos and Orks when we get a 3 planet win flop. They can always grab the first world and just chain off there.

Whats your name on OCTGN? Same as my SA name for me so if you see me on send a request.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

GrandpaPants posted:

On the topic of 40K:C, third pack announced: omething more general like attachments for the Core Tau warlord.

I hope Sslyth Mercenary doesn't turn out to be a dissapoint because man, Dark Eldar need a card with those stats SO BAD right now :stare:

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: On the topic of 40K:C, what are the chances of them adding more planets to the lineup?

I could definitely see that happening sooner than later, maybe with Necron/Tyranid box. Maybe they could add some sort of rules or draft where each player contributes a few planets to a pool which are shuffled and drawn from during setup.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Whats your name on OCTGN? Same as my SA name for me so if you see me on send a request.

Same as on SA. I mostly play Netrunner when I am on but if you ever want to Warhammer hit me up.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I could definitely see that happening sooner than later, maybe with Necron/Tyranid box. Maybe they could add some sort of rules or draft where each player contributes a few planets to a pool which are shuffled and drawn from during setup.

I was interested in how FFG handled "common decks" in the other LCG that uses them, Call of Cthulhu. With my marginal digging, it looks like besides the core set, they have release 2 other "story decks" of 12 cards at two different times: once in a deluxe, another in the first pack of their last cycle. The last story deck is the tourney legal one. I would assume for balance reasons they would just introduce and mandate a planet deck, or just add to it. I doubt drafting would even be an option, however.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LordNat posted:

Just spitballing here since I've only played a handful of games and haven't played Tau at all. At first glance it seems unless you get a nice draw you aren't going to be able to challenge them at planet 1 from the get go. Chaos and Ork can put out a fair amount of damage fairly cheaply , that's their schtick. And if you get a planet flop where they can get win on the first 3, you are definitely on the back foot. I'd use that first turn to pick up as many resources as you can off other planets, with the added benefit of being able to activate some planet abilities. This should allow you to deploy in force to challenge the next planet. It also looks like the Tau warlord can get beastly pretty quickly so take advantage of that as well. I know that advice is a little generic but unless you get a godly draw you probably won't be able to go head to head early with Tau, esp. against the two factions you named. With all the attachments you have you should be be able to equalize pretty quickly.

Tau can splash Space Marine or Eldar. Off the top of my head I'd say SM would be more helpful but I'd have to look through their cards to see exactly what would be useful

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If any of you dudes want to play 40k:C on OCTGN, let me know. I just got off my rear end and got all the stuff installed. Played a few starter deck games against a really good player and got crushed twice in a row :v:. Learned some stuff from him though, nice guy.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So, how about after having played like 5 games on OCTGN, I learned TODAY that combat turns aren't fought on planets that aren't (a) the first planet or (b) have a warlord. Therefore, you can only have battle abilities on planets trigger on 3 planets MAXIMUM a turn. Vulturesrow, I think our turns will go much quicker now. lol

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I realized that a bloodied warlord auto-retreats, and it cost me valuable traction in a really important planetary battle!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

So, how about after having played like 5 games on OCTGN, I learned TODAY that combat turns aren't fought on planets that aren't (a) the first planet or (b) have a warlord. Therefore, you can only have battle abilities on planets trigger on 3 planets MAXIMUM a turn. Vulturesrow, I think our turns will go much quicker now. lol

Didn't I say that at one point? And then we decided I was wrong?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Didn't I say that at one point? And then we decided I was wrong?

Maybe? You also tried to do the battle action during the command struggle like 20 times. :v:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

I've played a few games at this point and we're still feeling the rules out, so let me bounce something off you: barring some faction - specific mechanic, units deployed to a planet OTHER THAN the first planet/warlord planet will only win/lose a command struggle for that planet, right?

For instance, if we both deploy to the third planet but neither one of us deploys our warlord there, there is no combat? Only command struggle?

Also, units stay on the planet they're deployed unless retreated/bounced back, right? Units in the HQ deploy WITH the warlord? We're still hazy on some stuff.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

I've played a few games at this point and we're still feeling the rules out, so let me bounce something off you: barring some faction - specific mechanic, units deployed to a planet OTHER THAN the first planet/warlord planet will only win/lose a command struggle for that planet, right?

For instance, if we both deploy to the third planet but neither one of us deploys our warlord there, there is no combat? Only command struggle?

Also, units stay on the planet they're deployed unless retreated/bounced back, right? Units in the HQ deploy WITH the warlord? We're still hazy on some stuff.

Yes, that's all correct. Importantly, Units in HQ deploy with the Warlord exhausted, so they won't strike in the first round of combat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yes, that's all correct. Importantly, Units in HQ deploy with the Warlord exhausted, so they won't strike in the first round of combat.

I forgot this with a couple of ranged units and was super bummed about it. Ranged stuff coming in exhausted is the worst.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Ok so I might just be really bad at searching this out, but is there any site somewhere that lists locations that run LCG events or anything? 40k Conquest is going to be my first LCG and the local game places I know of are all dedicated Magic stores.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Conquest is amazing and I'm having a blast playing as the Imperial Guard and Chaos. I'm sure the game will grow really well. I have a question about LotR, however:

Are Nightmare Packs functionally the same as their AP counterparts? When searching for The Hunt for Gollum, I find Nightmare Packs. The few Adventure Packs I found on Amazon went for like $75. What's the deal with the Nightmare Packs?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

Conquest is amazing and I'm having a blast playing as the Imperial Guard and Chaos. I'm sure the game will grow really well. I have a question about LotR, however:

Are Nightmare Packs functionally the same as their AP counterparts? When searching for The Hunt for Gollum, I find Nightmare Packs. The few Adventure Packs I found on Amazon went for like $75. What's the deal with the Nightmare Packs?

Nightmare packs are extra cards that you can add to certain quests to make them more difficult. They are completely different from Adventure Packs.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nightmare packs are like the expansion to the corresponding adventure pack.
I feel like I am still so so so far from tackling Nightmare hahaha.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Conquest is pretty awesome, y'all.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

When searching for The Hunt for Gollum, I find Nightmare Packs. The few Adventure Packs I found on Amazon went for like $75. What's the deal with the Nightmare Packs?

Holy poo poo do not spend $75 on an adventure pack. They may be out of stock everywhere, but FFG is good about reprinting them and there are more at the printers as we speak. Don't buy 60 cards at a %750 markup :psyduck:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

Holy poo poo do not spend $75 on an adventure pack. They may be out of stock everywhere, but FFG is good about reprinting them and there are more at the printers as we speak. Don't buy 60 cards at a %750 markup :psyduck:

I didn't. I was just saying I either didn't find them or found them at a tremendous mark-up. That tells me they're either out-of-print or a collector's item. I thought maybe the Nightmare Packs were just re-skins or re-prints. Just clarifying. Don't worry; I'm a dumb nerd with expensive hobbies but I'm not THAT dumb.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

TheHoosier posted:

I didn't. I was just saying I either didn't find them or found them at a tremendous mark-up. That tells me they're either out-of-print or a collector's item. I thought maybe the Nightmare Packs were just re-skins or re-prints. Just clarifying. Don't worry; I'm a dumb nerd with expensive hobbies but I'm not THAT dumb.

FYI, CoolStuffInc.com has all the adventure packs with a few exceptions like The Hunt for Gollum and the Steward's fear, each for $9.99. Even with shipping, you'll save a bundle if you're looking for the adventure packs that way and live in the US. 750% markup, I would probably own the first 3 adventure packs and that's it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Aleator posted:

FYI, CoolStuffInc.com has all the adventure packs with a few exceptions like The Hunt for Gollum and the Steward's fear, each for $9.99. Even with shipping, you'll save a bundle if you're looking for the adventure packs that way and live in the US. 750% markup, I would probably own the first 3 adventure packs and that's it.

CSI is actually my preferred source so way ahead of you. I was going by goon recommendations for starting out and will apparently have to look elsewhere for HfG.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone want a game of Conquest on OCTGN tonight? I am free for a few hours.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
So I impulse bought all the LOTR LCG sets (except Hunt of Gollum and Steward's Fear, which FFG's website says will be reprinted soon) from CoolStuffInc after playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago. My problem now is where to store all these cards. I've never collected cards before, so this is all new to me. Is there a goon-approved storage solution I can just grab off the internet? Help!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

So I impulse bought all the LOTR LCG sets (except Hunt of Gollum and Steward's Fear, which FFG's website says will be reprinted soon) from CoolStuffInc after playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago. My problem now is where to store all these cards. I've never collected cards before, so this is all new to me. Is there a goon-approved storage solution I can just grab off the internet? Help!

For player cards, binders with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00095M5DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For encounter cards, I use Hobby Lobby's Artist Case, with Broken Token's corresponding insert, and then I use these dividers: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103472/vertical-themed-dividers-sleeved-cards

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone want a game of Conquest on OCTGN tonight? I am free for a few hours.

How late?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

I've got the Broken Token organizers for both my Netrunner and LOTR boxes. Love 'em! I just put it all in there, and have 2 deck boxes for active decks.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope Sslyth Mercenary doesn't turn out to be a dissapoint because man, Dark Eldar need a card with those stats SO BAD right now :stare:

There's no way it's actually 1 for a 2/2 with 2 icons and no downside-- the ability has to be negative somehow. I suspect it's an action that anyone can play to take control of the unit, in accordance with the mercenary theme.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Cut off the front of the adventure packs and use those for dividers. I'll take a picture later, but you'll feel like a native American using every part of the Buffalo.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

Cut off the front of the adventure packs and use those for dividers. I'll take a picture later, but you'll feel like a native American using every part of the Buffalo.

But... what are you going to do when they finally go to blister packs? :ohdear:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

But... what are you going to do when they finally go to blister packs? :ohdear:

Most likely something like what I am doing with the nightmare packs.

I have the big box things one the left with BGG dividers, and the adventure packs on the right. In the middle are my decks, tokens, and threat counters. I keep all the documentation organized in a three-ring binder, and all the nightmare packs in run of the mill deckbox with the top cut off. That just sits in my office because I split the cost of them with a co-worker and they don't travel much.

Eventually, I want to pick up one of those go7-gaming LCG boxes. I will most likely do that once I fill up the left or right column. Once that happens, I'll transfer the saga expansions to the middle and spill over the adventure packs to there.

Not pictured are the player cards. They are in a three ring binder organized by sphere and type.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I do something like that ^^^

Except that I have my player cards sleeved in something like these, organized by sphere and type: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146007

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
I don't think they'll ever go to blister packs for the regular releases. The images in the previews are always mock-ups with blister packs, but unless they change manufacturers suddenly it's always gonna be cardboard boxes for the 60-card packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ledhed posted:

I don't think they'll ever go to blister packs for the regular releases. The images in the previews are always mock-ups with blister packs, but unless they change manufacturers suddenly it's always gonna be cardboard boxes for the 60-card packs.

We'll see. They have been showing images of it off and on for a while now, and it looks like something they'll do eventually. They already use them for their PoD stuff, and if anything it will just make their products have a unified image on the shelf.