Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

and each others ability to sing Disney songs

God loving dammit I missed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Are those rare dyes worth the money people ask for on the trading post?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's entirely up to you! Personally I love them since they are mostly high contrast dyes, with really lovely shading. You can see it a bit in these screenshots:

I use Pyre on my crown and Molten on my chestpiece's silk edging, you can see how the color shifts between gold and orange. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, though, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That's entirely up to you! Personally I love them since they are mostly high contrast dyes, with really lovely shading. You can see it a bit in these screenshots:

I use Pyre on my crown and Molten on my chestpiece's silk edging, you can see how the color shifts between gold and orange. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, though, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

You're so pretty!! :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aww thanks!! :3:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, you're a pretty, pretty princess. And goddamn do those colors look vibrant without being garish. Another gold, gem and laurel sink for me. Yay.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
I am sitting on a goldmine of dye right now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I loving hate you. And all the colors I have and can afford.

Everything looks so ugly...

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I use a couple of them on some of my characters and no other color stands out nearly as well. Trying out anything similar always just ends up looking flat and disappointing. I'd say they're worth it if they're necessary for a specific look you're going for. My charr elementalist, human guardian, and asura warrior here are using a fair bit of flare and pyre. Honestly it's nice to have a goal to work towards anyways. Endgame is fashion, and once I got all my characters looking how I wanted them I rapidly started to lose interest.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 28, 2014

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

No, they're worth getting when they drop in price to flip though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I loving hate you. And all the colors I have and can afford.

Everything looks so ugly...

The special dyes have extreme values for the shading/highlights, but there are others that have similar effects but aren't as costly.

Bright colors
Illumination: gold/yellow
Sour: greenish yellow, one of my favorites

High contrast colors
Redemption: gold
Spitfire: red
Arrogance: purple
Sincerity: blue/purple
Forgiveness: teal
Mischief: grey/purple
Spite: green

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Illumination and Redemption are pro color picks. I've got almost every color except some of the crazy expensive rare ones, and yet I almost never pick a scheme without one of those two in it. Golden highlights just work with almost anything. And if they don't, it's the other colors that are wrong. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hey, huge noob asking a huge noob question here -- from what I can tell, Elementalist is the "wreck everything with magic damage" nuker type class, but the OP says something about the Elementalist class having killed several goons and compares it to melted ice cream in a toilet bowl; does that mean the class sucks or is a mess or unbalanced or do I not get jokes?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
A joke about a goon that hasn't played in nearly a year.

Elementalist is basically what you described it as, currently it is one of the top classes with or without fiery great sword.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

Hey, huge noob asking a huge noob question here -- from what I can tell, Elementalist is the "wreck everything with magic damage" nuker type class, but the OP says something about the Elementalist class having killed several goons and compares it to melted ice cream in a toilet bowl; does that mean the class sucks or is a mess or unbalanced or do I not get jokes?

Goons are bad at ele because you have to push buttons and they have trash builds. Actually, that applies to every class.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

As a newish player playing Ele, it's really not as hard as it's made out to be. It's daunting at first to learn the ~20 skills per weapon combo but you only have a few weapon combos to choose from anyway and it's not like you need to switch weapons often while learning. Their primary weakness is low health but you can poo poo out loads of AOE damage and it's pretty awesome. If you like blowing poo poo up with magic 24/7 and having the best spell effects in the game go for it!

edit: also I'd recommend not using Staff for levelling, though others might disagree - it's best used in group settings IMO and doesn't have as much solo effectiveness as say Dagger/Dagger or Scepter/Focus. Personally I went S/F for 90% of my time levelling although lately I like S/D more. Also, the conjured weapons are cool, especially Lightning Hammer + Firey Greatsword, don't ignore them while levelling like I did!

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 28, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Please stop tempting me to make another alt.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Dick Trauma posted:

Please stop tempting me to make another alt.

Is the character slot still discounted? I bought one not too long ago specifically so I could play dressup outside of all the other profession/race combinations I had, you too should give in to your base urges.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ele has 20 skills per weapon but don't let that worry you, since only like 3 or 4 of them are actually any good. :v:

Nah actually they've been balanced out a fair bit since some early issues, and I still spend the majority of my time on my ele. The only real annoyance I still find is the inability to swap weapons at all without manually rooting around in your backpack. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to just click a button and whip the daggers out instead of the staff, or whatever. (even if it did have to be out of combat)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ele has 20 skills per weapon but don't let that worry you, since only like 3 or 4 of them are actually any good. :v:

Nah actually they've been balanced out a fair bit since some early issues, and I still spend the majority of my time on my ele. The only real annoyance I still find is the inability to swap weapons at all without manually rooting around in your backpack. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to just click a button and whip the daggers out instead of the staff, or whatever. (even if it did have to be out of combat)

My big problem with the weapon swap system is that going between two one-handers and a two-hander often means one of your weapons will end up in your regular backpack instead of in your invisible pack at the end of the inventory, so you have to manually drag THAT back down too if you don't want to have to rummage through loot for it later.

While we're on ele chat, anyone got a good guide for D/D Ele? I used staff pretty much my entire way through PvE once I found out how to stack like three blast finishers into one Lava Font, and then used that skill for every dungeon run I've ever been in, so I'm out of practice with anything that would cause me to actually get close enough to die consistently.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Heavy Lobster posted:

My big problem with the weapon swap system is that going between two one-handers and a two-hander often means one of your weapons will end up in your regular backpack instead of in your invisible pack at the end of the inventory, so you have to manually drag THAT back down too if you don't want to have to rummage through loot for it later.

Tell me about it. I cycle through combinations of DD, SP and SB constantly on my thief and always end up needing to dig a dagger or a pistol out of a sea of crap.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

While we're on ele chat, anyone got a good guide for D/D Ele? I used staff pretty much my entire way through PvE once I found out how to stack like three blast finishers into one Lava Font, and then used that skill for every dungeon run I've ever been in, so I'm out of practice with anything that would cause me to actually get close enough to die consistently.

I've been staffing it up for a while now, but from what I remember of D/D it's all about zipping back and forth like a maniac. Ride the lightning, updraft, burning speed, ring of fire, earthquake, churning earth is the only combo I remember. Might be some better tricks these days, but that's all I recall. If you're just standing in the enemy's face you'll die pretty quick though, so you have to be constantly moving around, and once they nerfed the recharge time on RtL it got a lot less fun to play D/D.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

D/D isn't that great in PvE tbh but if you're going to use D/ then there is basically Fresh Air with the rest of the points put into Fire for Persisting Flames or into the +Damage modifiers in Earth and Water. Don't do the wombo-combo and just focus on auto-attacking in Air until you can briefly swap out and back in to trigger Electric Discharge.

This is a pretty balanced build.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAoYhUMKcWywnBfEBOAGtawoPg4IQAoDW7KA-e

This is a higher damage version.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAoYhUMKcWywnBf0ACAW4AQF4AM6GIOFkBqhA-e

Honestly D/D is just kind of gimp compared to D/F.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 28, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I realize this is SFD related but I don't care, The new SFD music for wvw wednesday

https://soundcloud.com/klockwerkluka/the-maguuma-suite-the-dental-battle-1

Kikilupo
Apr 3, 2005
SFD #1 Guild

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

SciFunk posted:

You left out the most important part of any WvWednesday, EU or not. Thanks for the excellent leadership Commander Vincenzo! Honorable mention to Lazy for helping aim the trebs that made our victory possible.

The gently caress is glicko?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

M.c.P posted:

Imaginary sperg points for ranking WvW I'd imagine. Personally I can't wait until Maguuma falls to bronze tier and WvW becomes fun again.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

M.c.P posted:

A rating system. It's what's used to track wvw rankings, so since people want Maguuma to drop down in the rankings so that we'd end up in a not top tier tournament bracket for the next season, they want us to do as poo poo as possible and get angry at people for doing things that get points.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

What was on sale today in the store?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Pretty Princess Plant

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tonight's WvWednesday was cake/birthday themed, to celebrate several birthdays, including GW2, Lonk, and dukkanoises.

There was a lot of discrimination of non-cake-gun-havers by cake-gun-havers:

This caused many dentists to give up on life:

But Arus got to live out his cake fetish, so kind of SFD to oblige:

We tried to bring birthday cheer to GvG as per usual, it was a great success!

Thanks Starfleet Dental and Happy Birthday GW2!

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Looks like I missed one hell of a party.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate that I have to work through every SFD event except for Chivalry Mondays. My new play times ensure that only filthy Australians are on and I don't speak their language.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I hate that I have to work through every SFD event except for Chivalry Mondays. My new play times ensure that only filthy Australians are on and I don't speak their language.

Takes a couple months to understand Dreggon, you'll make it.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

The new princess anime?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Looks like they're trying to sell the silver-fed salvage kit. It's a ripoff if you use mystic kits (like you should), which is dumb because there's the upfront cost AND a higher ongoing cost. Not like I'm going to run out of mystic kits.

Kazoo posted:

The new princess anime?

Oh I finished making my princess too

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 28, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's a tremendous ripoff. You spend 100 copper instead of around 60 copper per salvage.

I fully expect people to buy it anyway.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Saw this on tumblr and thought some of you would appreciate it! There's this blog and they write recipes for foods in games! Here's one for Dragon's Revelry Starcake! and they have a bunch of other GW2 based recipes too!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bu-cake-ke

Eat that frosting, eat it all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Kessel posted:

It's a tremendous ripoff. You spend 100 copper instead of around 60 copper per salvage.

I fully expect people to buy it anyway.

You spend about 10 copper with mystic kits.

The thing is 10 times as expensive, with a large upfront gem cost to boost. I guess you could sell it as 'convenience!', but how fast do you even go through all 250 uses of a mystic kit?

Speaking as someone who bought the home portal stone, even I have my limits.

• Locked thread