Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

God Over Djinn posted:

Hope this isn't too forward but if you ever want to talk writing (or whatever) over beers, CC regulars myself, Sitting Here, and Nethilia are all in your area & not axe murderers

That actually sounds pretty cool! Feel free to PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

God Over Djinn posted:

Hope this isn't too forward but if you ever want to talk writing (or whatever) over beers, CC regulars myself, Sitting Here, and Nethilia are all in your area & not axe murderers
Not stalky at all.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
the seattle public library has a WRITER'S ROOM, you guys should go in there

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

Seconding this. Always down to talk shop, or just bitch.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
If I was an axe murderer and wanted victims to come to me I would also advertise myself as 'not an axe murderer'.

Don't think I'd mention it if I wasn't.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Lethemonster posted:

If I was an axe murderer and wanted victims to come to me I would also advertise myself as 'not an axe murderer'.

Don't think I'd mention it if I wasn't.

poo poo, is that what I've been doing wrong?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Edward_Tohr posted:

poo poo, is that what I've been doing wrong?

It's called foreshadowing, dude.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone live in Austin? a/s/l

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

i met a writer irl once and he wrote literary fic, then when I told him I mostly do spec fic it was very awkward and I hope I never meet a writer irl again

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

awk

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

systran posted:

i met a writer irl once and he wrote literary fic, then when I told him I mostly do spec fic it was very awkward and I hope I never meet a writer irl again

;_____;

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
it's a well known fact that I'm Cormac McCarthy irl

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

systran posted:

Thought you said 'spic fic' and was unsurprised it was awkward.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I wouldn't mind meeting you again though, friend

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I find it weird when I meet people that don't write.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

systran posted:

I wouldn't mind meeting you again though, friend

same

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

hey circlejerkers, tell me how to get out of a stuck middle

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

blue squares posted:

hey circlejerkers, tell me how to get out of a stuck middle

Are you implying that you're in the middle of a circle jerk?

but yeah I think (and I'm only guessing here because I am currently languishing in the soggy middle of a book) the solution is to do something completely different than what you were doing. Throw yourself or your characters a juicy curveball you're excited to go back and write about

Or chant and throw salt over your shoulder

I will edit this post once I've escaped The Middle, check back!!!!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

God Over Djinn posted:

hey... hey what area?

I want to do this.

I went to a goonmeet last week and although it was awkward, I had a lot of fun. (Where the gently caress were you Lou? I was looking.)

also uhh, I don't know if we're allowed to post this to the thread so I'm going to ask first: I have a book signing in the cali bay area in a week and a half, am I allowed to post the details here and invite the northern california goons?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone feel bad because they only want to write rollicking good stories, and not so much expound on the human condition or anything deep like that? Ive heard it said that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to say. Well, to be honest I don't have any inciteful or truly original to say. I just think of things that I think would make an entertaining story, and run with it. I try to bring my own experiences and humanity to them, but at the end of the day I'm just trying to tell a good story. Is this okay? :ohdear:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what makes a story good?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

crabrock posted:

what makes a story good?
Tits on bears with giant wangers

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

Blue Star posted:

Does anyone feel bad because they only want to write rollicking good stories, and not so much expound on the human condition or anything deep like that? Ive heard it said that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to say. Well, to be honest I don't have any inciteful or truly original to say. I just think of things that I think would make an entertaining story, and run with it. I try to bring my own experiences and humanity to them, but at the end of the day I'm just trying to tell a good story. Is this okay? :ohdear:

Of course it's okay. Entertainment is a respectable purpose. People enjoy rollicking adventures; reading them brings happiness; what's not okay about that? You can say something in such a story too, if you want to and have the skill. Never be ashamed of wanting to give readers a good time.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kaishai posted:

Of course it's okay. Entertainment is a respectable purpose. People enjoy rollicking adventures; reading them brings happiness; what's not okay about that? You can say something in such a story too, if you want to and have the skill. Never be ashamed of wanting to give readers a good time.

This, very much this. The only cardinal sin in writing, that I know of, is don't be boring. Course your boring might be someone's interesting so that rule sucks too. Just write what you want and don't force stuff that isn't there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blue Star posted:

Ive heard it said that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to say.

Sounds like something a dickhead would say IMO. Write things you think will be fun to read if you want.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, it's true that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to say.

"Anything to say" can literally be "this is loving sweet, hell yeah," though.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

that's what i was getting at with my "what makes a story good?" it's usually some sort of commentary on human nature / dreams / desires / fears, etc. that's having something to say.

If you really have nothing to say, you make an art house film that is just black and white stills of shoes or whatever.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, it's true that you shouldn't write if you don't have anything to say.

"Anything to say" can literally be "this is loving sweet, hell yeah," though.
Steven Brust's one piece of writing advice: "If it's cool, write it. Why would you not try to write something that's cool?"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zip posted:

I went to a goonmeet last week and although it was awkward, I had a lot of fun. (Where the gently caress were you Lou? I was looking.)

i had a vacation planned a couple months in advance already when i went to sf, sorry dude, monday was my only free day

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

All this niceness sickens me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Shh, let him think it's safe. We're running low on kidneys.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I figured out a great solution to getting out of the stuck middle!

Hint: I'm starting over. I think my central conceit was not strong enough to sustain a novel and I wrote myself into a corner by Seat of Pantsing. However, I've already got a great new plot and character with loads more conflict, tension, etc. And it's the same theme and general idea, so there are at least 60-70pp that I can steal from my WIP. This time, I'm going to outline, re-outline, and re-outline, until I know where I'm going at all times.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i had a vacation planned a couple months in advance already when i went to sf, sorry dude, monday was my only free day

Bummer. I was actually asking around trying to find you man. Chance to meet another CC'er was exciting. :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zip posted:

Bummer. I was actually asking around trying to find you man. Chance to meet another CC'er was exciting. :)

no prob, you in the area? its not like i dont drop by sf every once in a while, i have lots of friends there. if you are and i plan a trip, ill shoot you a PM and we can discuss BOOKS and BOOK THINGS

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

no prob, you in the area? its not like i dont drop by sf every once in a while, i have lots of friends there. if you are and i plan a trip, ill shoot you a PM and we can discuss BOOKS and BOOK THINGS
ya man come to my book signing.
If any of you are near Los Gatos next week, I could sure use the support.... http://stevenmix.ghost.io/book-signing-september-6th/ … Come out I'll sign your books, etc

Book Signing: September 6th

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

God Over Djinn posted:

Way to spoil the plot twist. :mad:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Nethilia posted:

Way to spoil the plot twist. :mad:

The twist is they are actually giant axes who murder people by swinging small sharpened people about.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Blue Star posted:

The bulk of my fiction writing training comes from the Elements of Fiction Writing series. I absolutely learned a great deal from those books and one of them touches on the question you're asking. I can't figure out what book it is and I don't have my notebook with me today, but one book states that a story should do at least one of these things: 1) surprise the reader 2) excite the reader 3) teach something about the human experience. Again, I'm not sure that's what they are verbatim.

I, on the other hand, have a distinct drive for commenting on the human experience in some way. For me, stories such as that are the most rewarding. I can't quite bring myself to write popcorn-y stories but I don't look down on a writer for doing so and I wish I had the drive to write some simply entertaining stories. But, since writing is a pain in the rear end and being deep is a pain in the rear end, I let myself be lazy and not write a lot--so there's that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 28, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think that people often have more things to say than they realize, and those things can be discovered in the course of writing.

So if you want to write but don't think you "have anything to say", still write. What's the worst that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

docbeard posted:

I think that people often have more things to say than they realize, and those things can be discovered in the course of writing.

So if you want to write but don't think you "have anything to say", still write. What's the worst that could happen?

On a related note... When I was younger, I thought I had lots to say, but it turns out that most of it was pretentious bullshit. Now I have some other--hopefully better--stuff to say, but I might never have stumbled across this better stuff if I hadn't gotten the other dumber ideas out of my head and on paper first.

A sound, consistent writing practice will kick you in the right direction eventually (unless you're a total kook filling up endless notebooks with crazy kooksong).

• Locked thread