Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
the real 5w king is the mini backstar stack tho real talk

yeah thats a 5w single valve head with 2 1x10s, i had one for a while when they came out and it was a great little amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I found this when I was looking up lovely tattoos for the bad tattoos thread. Now THIS guy is committed to ugly guitars.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The sacrificial roadie brand

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Not that I'm endorsing the, "EVERYTHING IS GREAT, SPEND YOUR MONEY!" rags, but in this month's guitar world they have a feature of weird guitars. Its not bad but doesn't match the level of insanity displayed in this thread. It does have a handle guitar though, and its not a JEM.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Apologies for the lovely picture, Here it is with the pots installed with the the control knobs kindly supplied by Oscar Romeo Romeo;

See how they are all really badly spaced? I bored the holes drunk using a taper ream at 2am on Saturday morning, that was probably a bad idea.

Pots aren't actually wired up yet, I've got no idea what they are even going to do yet. Fun fact about the pots; They came from a 70's Les Paul copy so they are at least 10 years older than I am. THE TONE!

Hopefully going to get to do the headstock and body tomorrow, should have a bit of spare time between stuff.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

Apologies for the lovely picture, Here it is with the pots installed with the the control knobs kindly supplied by Oscar Romeo Romeo;

See how they are all really badly spaced? I bored the holes drunk using a taper ream at 2am on Saturday morning, that was probably a bad idea.

Pots aren't actually wired up yet, I've got no idea what they are even going to do yet. Fun fact about the pots; They came from a 70's Les Paul copy so they are at least 10 years older than I am. THE TONE!

Hopefully going to get to do the headstock and body tomorrow, should have a bit of spare time between stuff.

gunna be honest i wanna buy it already

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Put a blank piece of metal for the jack plate and stick more controls there as well. Install the output jack on the lower horn of the guitar where a Firebird pickup switch would go
Edit: and you can only use straight patch cables, no 90* ones.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quickscope420dad posted:

seriously i'm GASing hard over this thing

i may just steal the idea of sodacan pickups though

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Here are some ideas me and my friends came up with.

- floyd rose with standard nut

- different headstock tuner for every string maybe throw in a bass tuner, or maybe have each tuner be alternatingly on each side of the headstock or something

- make the headstock say fneder

- pickup on the back of the guitar

Most of these are pretty bad but you need to put a godawful floyd rose monstrocity on this thing

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

I feel like by standing by and watching this happen, I am, in part, responsible for the unleashing of this monstrosity upon the world.

(Still looks better than Romeo's guitar.)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

White Dog Eggs posted:

Looks great, maybe you could put a piezo on the underside of the pickguard and give it its own volume pot? Like, presumably the idea would've been "great, I can do all those acoustic guitar-tapping sounds on electric" but you'd get the sound of moving switches too, etc. Guess it might create grounding issues but eh

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

White Dog Eggs posted:

So fuckin sexy

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferroque posted:

I've seen this done on a strat copy modified to use longer trem springs.
The pickup was pointed at the springs
The idea was for the vibration of the body to produce a natural reverb.
No idea if it actually works or not.
Only one way to find out!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I already sent you a PM, but I'll toxx myself right here.
If there's any way I can reasonably buy that thing and it stays in tune and has decent-ish sound, I'll buy it, gig it and I'll post the video for all to enjoy.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

I already sent you a PM, but I'll toxx myself right here.
If there's any way I can reasonably buy that thing and it stays in tune and has decent-ish sound, I'll buy it, gig it and I'll post the video for all to enjoy.

Hahah, ok! I pm'd you back.

Quickscope420dad posted:

Dewgy posted:

seriously i'm GASing hard over this thing

i may just steal the idea of sodacan pickups though

I'm honestly surprised that people want this. I guess if iostream.h can't buy it for whatever reason you guys are welcome.

This thread is giving me horrible ideas btw, junk strat bodies are easy as poo poo to pick up, I've got three or four just lying around at the moment (it's often cheaper/less hassle to buy a poo poo guitar with a serviceable neck than it is to buy/make a neck), I could always 'modify' some more if there is a market.

Sockington posted:

Put a blank piece of metal for the jack plate and stick more controls there as well. Install the output jack on the lower horn of the guitar where a Firebird pickup switch would go
Edit: and you can only use straight patch cables, no 90* ones.

Oooh, I like this idea. I won't do it on this because that would involve routing a bigger cavity and I'm still not able to do that until I get my tools back (I'd love to elaborate but I can't until everything is sorted. It's a good story though, I'll post it here when it's cleared up), but I am going to do this on a another guitar for sure. It's an awesome idea.

Ferroque posted:

Here are some ideas me and my friends came up with.

- floyd rose with standard nut

- different headstock tuner for every string maybe throw in a bass tuner, or maybe have each tuner be alternatingly on each side of the headstock or something

- make the headstock say fneder

Most of these are pretty bad but you need to put a godawful floyd rose monstrocity on this thing

Sadly the floyd/rear pickup (lol) would involve more routing. I was going to pick and choose the best of my left-over tuners anyway, so that's on. I'm going to put "Bender" on the headstock, unless the thread thinks of fneder is funnier, it's all good.

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

Looks great, maybe you could put a piezo on the underside of the pickguard and give it its own volume pot? Like, presumably the idea would've been "great, I can do all those acoustic guitar-tapping sounds on electric" but you'd get the sound of moving switches too, etc. Guess it might create grounding issues but eh

I can totally do this, I reckon there is room to squeeze in one more pot somewhere....

DicktheCat posted:

I feel like by standing by and watching this happen, I am, in part, responsible for the unleashing of this monstrosity upon the world.

(Still looks better than Romeo's guitar.)

There is a special hell reserved just for all of us. I'll see you all there :devil:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
poo poo, I missed this

Actuary X posted:

I do 90% of my playing through a (modded) 5 watt Fender Champion 600.

That t-shirt is awesome. I may have to steal this idea at some point.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

The pissed drilling for pots makes it just perfect. This is starting to look like the kind of monster I used to see at shoegaze gigs during my Uni days. Art schools breed a very interesting kind of odd ball musician.

It needs an obscenely long vibrato bar like Kevin Shields uses.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 27, 2014

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

It doesn't have a Bigsby or Floyd Rose or any other tailpiece that can create vibrato.

Therefore it needs TWO bars.

EDIT: Preferably one of them will be some place bizarre, like coming out of the lower strap button

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2014

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Use the flipstick ala Phil X. A vibrato arm that is actuated with your knee hahahahaha http://youtu.be/xhzDOLHRAMg

like what is the benefit to this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

lol i love how unusable the tone knobs are, can't wait to see/hear the finished product.

Are those pickups shielded with coke cans?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Did actually chuckle a bit when I noticed WDE's only used Tone knobs. I sent some volume knobs too but in the words of EVH, "Volume IS TONE!"

Is it going to be wired up as Volume + Tone for each pickup or are you planing some weird on board effect wizadry similar to Frank Zappa's guitars?

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
build an instrument cable into the guitar. you pull it out and then press a button to automatically wind it up. best if enough force to tear it out of the amp

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think it needs a ridiculously oversized furry tremolo bar.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

A cat's tail to match the print on the pick guard?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

pfs Write posted:

build an instrument cable into the guitar. you pull it out and then press a button to automatically wind it up. best if enough force to tear it out of the amp

Oh gently caress yes. Rip the mechanism out of a little hoover and you're sorted!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looking at how close together the knobs are now I think they need to be geared so turning one turns the other ones too making them completely unusable as proper tone knobs.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

pfs Write posted:

Nonono it's got to be USEABLE!

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
but it will keep the cable in a perfect tone spiral. the sound waves will travel sooo much more smoothly with that consistent curve

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

pfs Write posted:

but it will keep the cable in a perfect tone spiral. the sound waves will travel sooo much more smoothly with that consistent curve
Actually, put a wind up cable in it, as long as it terminates in something utterly useless and I still have a jack for my wireless. :D

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

The pissed drilling for pots makes it just perfect. This is starting to look like the kind of monster I used to see at shoegaze gigs during my Uni days. Art schools breed a very interesting kind of odd ball musician.

I like this idea....

Mixodorian posted:

Use the flipstick ala Phil X. A vibrato arm that is actuated with your knee hahahahaha http://youtu.be/xhzDOLHRAMg

like what is the benefit to this

....but HOLY poo poo.

Spanish Manlove posted:

lol i love how unusable the tone knobs are, can't wait to see/hear the finished product.

Are those pickups shielded with coke cans?

Does "Fixed to the pickups with screws" count as shielding? If so yes. They are pretty much just resting on top, like those lovely plastic covers you can get to make everyone think you've got active pickups (I swear these exist).

Did actually chuckle a bit when I noticed WDE's only used Tone knobs. I sent some volume knobs too but in the words of EVH, "Volume IS TONE!"

Is it going to be wired up as Volume + Tone for each pickup or are you planing some weird on board effect wizadry similar to Frank Zappa's guitars?

Haha, I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

Honestly, I've got no idea. The two switches are standard 3-ways (they are also the only brand-new thing on the guitar), The idea is that you get on/coil-shunt/off. I could change it to something batty like on/coil-shunt/straight to jack and have the pots wired to dial the volume back or something. It's all good.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Sockington posted:

That's so easy it'd be a crime to not do it.

pfs Write posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Rip the mechanism out of a little hoover and you're sorted!

pfs Write posted:

iostream.h posted:

Actually, put a wind up cable in it, as long as it terminates in something utterly useless and I still have a jack for my wireless. :D

I could totally do this as I'm the kind of poo poo-head who has a dead hoover lying around, but it'd probably add a fuckload of weight which make shipping fun. I'll take the winding thing out the hoover ad see what the score is.

Thumposaurus posted:

Looking at how close together the knobs are now I think they need to be geared so turning one turns the other ones too making them completely unusable as proper tone knobs.

This would be funny. Mean, but very funny. I know gently caress all about gears though.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Get a load of this Russian dude's drum kit

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you didn't say russia i would've known anyway

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

if you didn't say russia i would've known anyway

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

tacodaemon posted:

Get a load of this Russian dude's drum kit

woah thank god you miced up the kick guys

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Please dear God yes!
I have a cat stencil on my road cases so it'd go along quite well.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since a dude toxx'd himself to buy it declare it an avente garde master piece and charge a thousand dollars for it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Acquire Currency! posted:

Since a dude toxx'd himself to buy it declare it an avente garde master piece and charge a thousand dollars for it.
That dude was me, and the toxx was that if we can work out my purchasing it (and we're in negotiation) that I will gig it, have it filmed and post the video here for the enjoyment of all.

Bear in mind that most of my gigs are in the southern states, primarily Alabama and you fuckers are going to get me murdered.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iostream.h posted:

That dude was me, and the toxx was that if we can work out my purchasing it (and we're in negotiation) that I will gig it, have it filmed and post the video here for the enjoyment of all.

Bear in mind that most of my gigs are in the southern states, primarily Alabama and you fuckers are going to get me murdered.

goonspeed you insane person

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Acquire Currency! posted:

goonspeed you insane person

currently one of my regular guitars is the rainbow PRS

yes, I've been asked more than once at a gig if I'm gay for that specific reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would ask you that as well, due to it being an al dimeola guitar.

I bet it plays sick tho

• Locked thread