Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Make sure to visit Vendrick for more dialogue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Make sure to visit Vendrick for more dialogue!

Which dialogue is it supposed to be, I can never remember which dialogue I have heard before

Edit: The Fume Knight Is where I kind of stopped speccing into sorcery as much and just got flynns ring, RoB+2 and used the Espada Ropera and Ricard's to take him down, really was quite quick after that.

I will say It was 100% easier to kill him solo than with summons (or as a summon) he just gets so much defence.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 28, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

My biggest revelation was when I stopped being an idiot and trying to roll away from his slow sweeping fire sword attack that does absurd damage. Just roll to the left and go straight through that poo poo and he's wide open for attack. His regular combos then become the nastiest attack he has. The single hardest part is deciding whether or not to attack after a combo since sometimes he will turn around and do a quick swipe just as I'm attacking him. I never did figure out a good tell for if he's going to do that so I just ended up being super careful/lucky on the time I beat him.

That said, I beat him with just my Old Mirrah Greatsword doing 300-400 damage so I'm sure you'll get him eventually!

I beat him with a Mirrah Greatsword too! But I also had help from a Sunbro using a giant club.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Which dialogue is it supposed to be, I can never remember which dialogue I have heard before

He congratulates you on "killing another creature" (most likely killing another Child of Dark???) and then he goes on a little bit about Manus and his children. He also quotes the opening of Dark Souls 1, so Vendrick probably knows the real history of the world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

I beat him with a Mirrah Greatsword too! But I also had help from a Sunbro using a giant club.

To be honest with my experience trying to sunbro this boss, that may have only made him harder anyway.

Or maybe most of the people I was trying to help were really bad.

I keep trying to experiment with other weapons, but the OMGS is just so perfect for me so I end up coming back to it. I even respecced to 40/40 STR/DEX to make the most out of its scaling.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

What are people's opinion on the Blacksteel Katana and the boss weapon from Sir Alonne? I think I'm going to make an Alonne Knight playthrough with that White Katana from the Majula Mansion.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
There's a hidden treasure you can get way back at the first bonfire of the DLC once you power up the tower if anyone hasn't found it yet. Fume Knight was where i went back and just respecced into a STR build from a caster build it feels like they really nerfed Sorceries along with Miracles now.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Smornstein posted:

There's a hidden treasure you can get way back at the first bonfire of the DLC once you power up the tower if anyone hasn't found it yet. Fume Knight was where i went back and just respecced into a STR build from a caster build it feels like they really nerfed Sorceries along with Miracles now.

Is it that ring that reduces stamina loss while raising your shield?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is it that ring that reduces stamina loss while raising your shield?

Yeah i never even noticed the body when i first started the DLC and only found it while looking for the last statue to break.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

What are people's opinion on the Blacksteel Katana and the boss weapon from Sir Alonne? I think I'm going to make an Alonne Knight playthrough with that White Katana from the Majula Meansion.

It's a good katana. The quick draw r2s are quite useful, especially once you realize they have less charge-up time if done after some r1s or a roll attack.

The Alonne katana is fantastic. It has a 150 counter bonus making up for its slightly lower damage and the reach of the Washing Pole. Its moveset is all around slower, but its wider horizontal swings are very useful.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It's a good katana. The quick draw r2s are quite useful, especially once you realize they have less charge-up time if done after some r1s or a roll attack.

The Alonne katana is fantastic. It has a 150 counter bonus making up for its slightly lower damage and the reach of the Washing Pole. Its moveset is all around slower, but its wider horizontal swings are very useful.

1. What's a counter bonus?

2. How good is the Alonne Katana's power up move?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

You know how when you hit somebody in the middle of an attack/recovery animation you can do bonus damage? Higher counter bonus = more damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

2. How good is the Alonne Katana's power up move?

The bonus damage you get when you counter hit; hitting an enemy when they are in an attacking animation. The window for this is quite large, including any charge-up part before the damage is dealt, and any cooldown after it is dealt. 150 means you do 150% of your normal damage. This is what makes (certain) katanas, like the Alonne or Chaos Blade, so good.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I just fought a Jetstream Sam in the arena. My name is Pretty Meris. I thought that was a goon. Either way good fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stokes posted:

I just fought a Jetstream Sam in the arena. My name is Pretty Meris. I thought that was a goon. Either way good fight.

I fought him too. I was disappointed he was not doing Jetstream Sam cosplay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fereydun posted:

On top of his monstrous amount of health, he's also got insanely high resists to all the elements. Especially Lightning.

I'm almost certain that a pure caster character would literally be unable to beat him without using several spell recovery items.

I tested the difference between a Lightning infused weapon and a regular +10 weapon and the damage difference was massive. Like almost over 100 points per swing.

I was doing ~700 damage with a Lightning Red Iron Twinblade plus Sunlight Blade.

Just got my second Blacksteel Katana to powerstance with the white one from the Majula chest. The attack looks kinda goofy.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is FK the final boss of the DLC? There's quite the special piece of treasure past him.

I finally did it by switching to a plain ol' +10 Espada Ropera and using Crystal Magic Weapon. It was better than a Moonlight Greatsword and a Raw Santier's.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was doing ~700 damage with a Lightning Red Iron Twinblade plus Sunlight Blade.

While elemental damage is fine, that's not a good example since Red Iron Twinblade is pretty much the strongest weapon in the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is FK the final boss of the DLC? There's quite the special piece of treasure past him.

That's the end of the critical path. There's two optional bosses in the far reaches of the DLC areas, one of whom can only be fought after beating Fumesy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I cannot believe they made a phantom with this behavior.

Its like I'm really being invaded by a shithead.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Motherfucker posted:

I cannot believe they made a phantom with this behavior.

Its like I'm really being invaded by a shithead.
One of the NPC summon phantoms will drop Hellos. I like these phantoms. They're great.

Also, apparently Sir Alonne has an alternate death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMI3GmhcE7c You have to honor duel him (bow, no healing) and he'll do it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
doing the optional area I have the path to the boss pretty well and set, but even though the boss itself should be easy as poo poo I keep dying. PS people really need to put their signs at the fog door, here.

PPS ~ The Dark Soul ~

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Also, apparently Sir Alonne has an alternate death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMI3GmhcE7c You have to honor duel him (bow, no healing) and he'll do it.

That's awesome. And apparently he also nods his head when you bow to him.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This streamer is trying to do it on NG+
http://www.twitch.tv/peeve

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Nahxela posted:

One of the NPC summon phantoms will drop Hellos. I like these phantoms. They're great.

Hohoholy poo poo. That's literally even more impetus for me to go solo honor duel him as my Jetstream Sam.

And no, I actually cosplay as him, so that wasn't me in the arena.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My favorite part of cosplaying as him is doing that to myself when I'm about to lose. It works even better if I have space to drop I'm Sorry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's really cool, I never even thought to try that. They put a lot of effort into the phantoms and two of the three bosses.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Do it at the same time as he does it so you can relive the honor duel.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ok so after battling by way past dick-phantom I found The whole loving tower and everyone in it was set to guard one loving box. One chest... So what's in the loving box?? Why, its the best sword ever! Like holy loving poo poo this sword is so good.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Has anyone tried a Bleed Bewitched Allone Sword? I'm considering trying out a DEX build with it but most katanas are not so great in pve.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wow. From went completely out of their way with this patch to remove the Barrel.

No seriously, the model doesn't exist anymore, it does not appear even if you call its appearance ID. Only the icon and description remain.

I don't understand. What kind of developer takes the time to remove a harmless cosmetic item yet leaves multiple crash exploits in?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I guess you made someone angry.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The irony is, I actually just made a trainer to fix the +14 crash without any side effects. It took me literally five minutes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's been in my table for like three weeks, at least.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That script just nops the assembly, which actually does lead to scaling side effects (because it makes the reinforcement count as 0 internally).

I set the item's reinforcement to 0 if it's 11 or above automatically, so you can actually keep it running.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there anything good in the area below the archers in the room before Sir Alonne? I dont want to gently caress around in that horrible memory any more than I have to.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

I think I've missed a huge chunk of this DLC's content. I've beaten Fume Knight and gotten the crown, but people are mentioning other bosses. Is FK seriously the only compulsory boss?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Is there anything good in the area below the archers in the room before Sir Alonne? I dont want to gently caress around in that horrible memory any more than I have to.

A +7 twinblade.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

An Actual Bear posted:

I think I've missed a huge chunk of this DLC's content. I've beaten Fume Knight and gotten the crown, but people are mentioning other bosses. Is FK seriously the only compulsory boss?

Depends what you consider compulsory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god FROM, I cannot wait to see what you do with NPCs in the third DLC. :allears: