Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would too of I had a loving choice in the matter.

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Anybody got $166,000 laying around that they aren't using?

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-1200mm-f56-l-usm-1

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

quote:

its annual production volume was approximately two lenses.[3] The lens also took more than a year to construct, due to the time required to grow its massive fluorite crystals.[6]
Few of these lenses exist; Canon has never released production figures, but it is almost certain that fewer than 100 were made, and it has been rumored that the actual number is closer to 20. A list of owners has also never been made public, but reported owners include Sports Illustrated magazine (two); Canon Professional Services (two); James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley and RED Digital Cinema (two); and the National Geographic Society (at least one for its magazine). It is also widely believed that several intelligence and law enforcement agencies own this lens.

Makes me wonder how many of the more expensive super telephotos are sold per year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

"Minimum focusing distance is a hefty 14 metres"

Good lens for goons to take 'portraits' with.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bitch, please:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/03/12/photographer-waiting-for-the-new-pope-with-a-nikkor-1200-1700mm-f5-6-8p-if-ed-lens.aspx/

I find it hilarious that both of these were designed to take photos at high-school baseball tournaments in one particular stadium where the press box was way up in the nosebleeds.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

I wonder if it's the same one that came up for sale at B&H a few years back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A bunch of Manfrotto gear marked off on woot today.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Bobx66 posted:

Is there any reason to go with the 35MM Sigma over the 24-105MM? I have never owned a zoom lens before and I would be selling my 24MM Canon to get this lens. I have the 24-105MM range pretty well covered by primes but if I bought the 35MM that would be my widest lens (following the sale of the 24). Any recommendations?
35mm is the bee's knees. If I only had one prime, it'd be a 35mm (preferably a Minolta 35mm f/2).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I need advice on light meters. I have a couple of cameras now that doesn't have a meter built in and I don't need anything fancy with TTL or flash metering and all that jazz. This one any good?

http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-208/overview.aspx

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Geektox posted:

I need advice on light meters. I have a couple of cameras now that doesn't have a meter built in and I don't need anything fancy with TTL or flash metering and all that jazz. This one any good?

http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-208/overview.aspx

I'm sure that meter is fine, but I'd argue if you're going to be buying a light meter, you might as well get something that can do flash metering even though you do say you don't really need it. I have the Sekonic l-308 which works really well, it's a bit more expensive but still has a small footprint.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What are my options if I'm looking for a digital camera with a classic 35mm(-equivalent) field of view, i.e. a digital rangefinder camera?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you want an actual rangefinder, or just the 35mm FoV on a fixed lens camera?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sorry for being a bit unclear: I'm looking for a 35mm FoV on a fixed lens camera. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it looked like it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fuji x100s might be your best bet? There's Ricoh's with a 28mm-equivalent i think too.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Xabi posted:

Sorry for being a bit unclear: I'm looking for a 35mm FoV on a fixed lens camera. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it looked like it.

The Ricoh GR is probably one of the cheaper options (new) but it's 28mm equivalent. A Fuji X100s would be a great option too, or a used X100 as well. The comedy option would be the Leica X2.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
What are people's thoughts on the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR lens? I can get a used one for a pretty good deal and I'll be able to use it between my DSLR and film SLR. Is it decent as babby's first telephoto or should I save up for something a little better?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR lens? I can get a used one for a pretty good deal and I'll be able to use it between my DSLR and film SLR. Is it decent as babby's first telephoto or should I save up for something a little better?

It's a great lens if you're not shooting in the dark, but it won't work on your film SLR. It's a DX (APS-C) lens. If you need 35mm coverage, Dorkroomers love the Tamron 70-300 VC, but it's about twice as much money new.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It will work, it'll just have some vignetting (I use other DX lenses on my F100). I made a custom profile for them in Lightroom to correct it.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Has anyone messed around with the Sony A7S much yet?

My boss got one (film production company) and we've used it for a few smaller video shoots with the XAVC-S codec. poo poo is pretty unreal in terms of image quality.

Not sure I'd use it for stills over a DSLR personally, though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BANME.sh posted:

It's pretty good, VR works as well as you'd expect it to, quality isn't complete idiot trash, etc. If you're getting a good deal on it then it's probably worth having.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Mest0r posted:

The Ricoh GR is probably one of the cheaper options (new) but it's 28mm equivalent. A Fuji X100s would be a great option too, or a used X100 as well. The comedy option would be the Leica X2.
Thank you, good sir! The GR looks pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

khysanth posted:

Has anyone messed around with the Sony A7S much yet?

My boss got one (film production company) and we've used it for a few smaller video shoots with the XAVC-S codec. poo poo is pretty unreal in terms of image quality.

Not sure I'd use it for stills over a DSLR personally, though.

Someone here has been using one for concert photography and seems to really like it. I got one for video production and it's been awesome for that (on the two shoots I've had with it so far.) For stills, I'd rather use my D800 or even the little A6000.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got an A7S shortly after it came out. If you shoot in low light, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's good up to ISO 51200 which means you can use your f/2.8 lenses in situations where you couldn't with other cameras. It also makes auto ISO a lot more useful because you have such a useable range as opposed to only a few stops. The AF is not super fast but it is very robust in that it will still focus in conditions where other AF systems would roll over and die.

I got the 35mm f/2.8 along with it and it's a great everyday lens because it's small, light and a good mix of sharpness and smooth out of focus areas. I like the lens hood because it's super compact compared to other lens hoods and I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mest0r posted:

if you're going to be buying a light meter, you might as well get something that can do flash metering even though you do say you don't really need it.
It does come in handy. If nothing else, you can really nail down the exposure of your speedlight, and know what settings to use for, say, bouncing it off the ceiling/wall behind you.

HPL posted:

It's good up to ISO 51200 which means you can use your f/2.8 lenses in situations where you couldn't with other cameras.
What, taking pictures of film developing?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7S is one of those cameras where those who get it, get it. It's not a camera for everyone.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Currently using the a7s as A cam on a series, works pretty well. The rear screen is a bit average which means the DP keeps crowding my focus monitor and it inhales batteries, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed. It's a poo poo to rig but every stills camera masquerading as a video camera is without a cage.
That plus base ISO 2000 means we shoot everything at t5.6 which makes focus pulling on stills glass nearly tolerable.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How do you guys light for an A7s? I think it's a great camera and a great piece of technology, but with it's huge dynamic range and ridiculous base ISO I have to imagine stacks of IRND are in play? Can you use any lights hotter than 1k?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

1st AD posted:

How do you guys light for an A7s? I think it's a great camera and a great piece of technology, but with it's huge dynamic range and ridiculous base ISO I have to imagine stacks of IRND are in play? Can you use any lights hotter than 1k?

Budget isn't huge so we're generally slinging a 4ft 4bank kino through a 60cm x 90cm diffusion panel (key) and a Diva (2ft 4bank) through some lee 251 or 250 (back light). DP likes big soft sources. We lit an entire party (15sqm ish area) with just a Diva through some yellow and diffusion then had Dedos coming in as rim lights from across the room. The big issue is you can no longer light to your eye, you set something up and you get back to the camera and your subtle set up has become this oven of light, in that regard it's pretty loving crazy.

Exteriors are loving comical though especially in the Australian sun so the DP just throws a vari-ND on and calls it a day. Haven't had a chance to check in on IR pollution.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 23, 2014

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Pentax have confirmed a new DSLR. The main feature seems to be a strip of forward facing green LEDs...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Pentax have confirmed a new DSLR. The main feature seems to be a strip of forward facing green LEDs...

Well, there's apparently a user-selectable AA filter, but from the description it sounds like a software solution.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I'm not sure if I should be asking in this thread or another thread.

I'm going to film school right now and I'm taking some photography classes on the side. I'm going to be picking up a Canon 70D. (I choose Canon since our school's equipment checkout has hella Canon lenses making it easier for me).

On B&H and Amazon they have a couple different bundle deals. Just wondering which lens bundle will give me the most bang for my buck:

Bundle w/ 18-135mm STM + 55-250mm IS II for $1550
Bundle w/ 18-135mm STM + 55-250mm STM for $1650
Bundle w/ 18-55mm + 55-250mm IS II for $1350
Bundle w/ 18-55mm STM + 55-250mm STM for $1450

Thoughts?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're intending to use them with your film Canon, none of them, since they're all EF-S.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Elliotw2 posted:

If you're intending to use them with your film Canon, none of them, since they're all EF-S.

As someone who is new to photography, can you explain what this means?

This camera will be used 75/25 for photography/film currently.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

EF-S is a new lens mount Canon made for their APS-C cameras. You can use the older EF lenses without problems on the 70D, however the EF-S lenses will not physically attach to a full frame camera, be it film or a digital one like the 6D.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm pretty sure this guy is saying "film" when he means "motion" not like actual film.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
EF-S is a Canon lens mount standard for their smaller digital sensor size ("crop sensors" like on the 70D, or the Rebel line).
EF is a Canon lens mount standard for 35mm film and full frame sensors (5d, 6d).

EF lenses will work on digital cameras with crop sensors, whereas while EF-S lenses will often mount on film/full frame cameras, but because it's designed for a smaller sensor, there will be some vignetting and possibly a mirror strike risk.

On a related note, you may want to look into purchasing used, older generation cameras like the 40D or 50D if you don't really intend to do film - they're much cheaper and should be more than sufficient. That way you can have more money to spend on lenses. For example, you can put together a 40D + Tamron 17-50/2.8mm combo for around $550 ish, and that will outperform any of the bundles you have listed unless you plan on doing super large prints.

edit:

8th-snype posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy is saying "film" when he means "motion" not like actual film.

gently caress, so much for my effort post

rawrr fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ooh, oops. In that case, you would want the 18-55 STM and the 55-250 STM out of that group, since the STM marker means it's faster and quieter focusing during video.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The autism is coming from within the thread.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well, there is the AA filter gone, but the big thing is that Pentax finally did the right thing and made a full-frame camera. I refuse to believe that it would be anything else, I mean how much can you hate money?

Yes, it is a full frame. It is a full frame.

Full frame.

Full

Frame

It is a full frame

Must be

Yes

Full frame

No way it is otherwise.

Full frame.

Right? RIGHT? RIGHT?

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

No Gravitas posted:

Dumb words...

Full frame sensors would have been a big deal back before APS-C sensors got good now it really doesn't matter (unless you shoot Canon then whelp).